What is your favorite subject to talk about with strangers?

XRay

So yeah, how do you break the ice and keep the conversation flowing? Weather, politics, food, music, or something else?

I made quite a few food topics here, so you might have guessed that my go to subject is food. Movies are my next go to subject. After that I try games, music, and news. Although I love games, I found that not a lot of people I meet in real life are gamers, and even if they are gamers, they often times like different genres. It is kind of huge downer when I get excited to find that the other person is a gamer but then they say their favorite series or games are something like Mario or Monopoly. Most of my musical knowledge is just about Taylor Swift so I cannot really hold a conversation about music well unless they are also a Swiftie. I love news, but I find most people generally avoid the news.

So yeah, food, movies, games, music, then news. After that, if I need to prolong the conversation, I dig into their hobbies and get them to talk about what they like, I ask about their life such as their recent past or immediate future, and I also take a careful poke at politics.

I talk about the weather when I blank out or as a last resort. Weather conversations lasts about as long as it takes for a pair of lions to make cubs.
"Nice weather!"
"Yeah. It is pretty nice today!"
"Mhm, I hope this weather continues tomorrow."
"Yeah."
That whole conversation took like 7 seconds or something.

Integrity is fucking skilled at the weather conversation, he knows how to turn it into more than a few seconds of chatting

but he's also just skilled at talking...

me, I'm a mess at talking, I've never really learned how to do it and social anxiety helps prevent me from learning. Sooooo I have no go-to topic~

On 8/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't go out of my way to talk to strangers.

I had to talk to strangers a lot when I was a canvasser. It was not too bad since they give you a spiel to memorize so you do not have to come up with things to say.

8 hours ago, Freohr Datia said:

Integrity is fucking skilled at the weather conversation, he knows how to turn it into more than a few seconds of chatting

but he's also just skilled at talking...

me, I'm a mess at talking, I've never really learned how to do it and social anxiety helps prevent me from learning. Sooooo I have no go-to topic~

Speechcraft level 100 right there.

I find it hard to talk about the weather. I look at the sky and all I can think of is whether the weather is good or bad. Days with clear blue skies are like the worst, I cannot even talk about the clouds if I wanted to.

Comedy, then I go for the jugular and fire off on politics and social norms. If I get turned away or shooed, it's a marker more of how they've developed mentally more than me just being a shit-stirrer. Although the latter is admittedly expected.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:37 AM, Karimlan said:

Comedy, then I go for the jugular and fire off on politics and social norms. If I get turned away or shooed, it's a marker more of how they've developed mentally more than me just being a shit-stirrer. Although the latter is admittedly expected.

Well, if you think about it, people who stir shit are also some of the most highly paid people. Garbage collectors, sewage workers, poop scientists, medical staff who administer enema, politicians, etc. are all highly paid people. The people who turn away or shoo you away are just jealous of your success.

5 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I scream.

They leave.

Okay, real talk? I don't know. I just get forcefully put into conversations with random people.

Oh! An idea came to mind. Maybe I should try telling the other person that we can play the quiet game to relieve boredom or until one of us can think of something to talk about. That way, maybe the silence will not be so awkward.

Edited by XRay

On 8/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, Freohr Datia said:

Ever since I moved to LA from NYC about 3 months ago I can have nice, 30 minute conversations on just how great the weather is here compared to the northeast. It also helps that I've never been in dry heat climate up until my trip across the country so the new-ness of it is also exciting

4 hours ago, BEST TRYNDAMERE PLAYER said:

Ever since I moved to LA from NYC about 3 months ago I can have nice, 30 minute conversations on just how great the weather is here compared to the northeast. It also helps that I've never been in dry heat climate up until my trip across the country so the new-ness of it is also exciting

That is similar to me, although from the opposite view point. I am not a fan of California's weather because it is always the same and it is so boring! It is just sunshine every single day during the summer. It is so monotonous. The temperature range is small too, as it rarely feels cold, even during the winter. It is either wet or dry season in California.

In New York, there is precipitation year round so it is not just sunshine every day, and there is SNOW during the winter! If you want to see snow in California, you have to drive up Sierra Nevada to see it. You can also see the seasons change prominently throughout the year.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

That is similar to me, although from the opposite view point. I am not a fan of California's weather because it is always the same and it is so boring! It is just sunshine every single day during the summer. It is so monotonous. The temperature range is small too, as it rarely feels cold, even during the winter. It is either wet or dry season in California.

In New York, there is precipitation year round so it is not just sunshine every day, and there is SNOW during the winter! If you want to see snow in California, you have to drive up Sierra Nevada to see it. You can also see the seasons change prominently throughout the year.

Living in the northeast my whole life up until now I got sick of the weather. It's extreme cold for 6 months, followed by two, maybe three weeks of pleasant spring weather then 3 months of extreme humidity to where it'll be 85-90 degrees but will feel like 100+ with the sweat actually sticking. Fall over there is the best by far but unfortunately that only lasts for two months.

Yeah, the sight of snow is nice but it's such a pain in the ass to do things when it snows hard. Hell, even heavy rain inhibits a lot of things which the northeast gets a lot of during the summer months

10 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

I take my answer back, @XRay, and give you another one: naming conventions in FEH. 'Cause you have ASS to deal with in the next banner. Again. XD

My favorite acronym on one of my favorite nukes. ASS!Reinhardt is best Reinhardt. Twerking is everything!

Edited by XRay

21 minutes ago, XRay said:

My favorite acronym on one of my favorite nukes. ASS!Reinhardt is best Reinhardt. Dancing is everything!

But you already have ASS!Camilla (as/s/ in, A Sketchy Summer Camilla to everyone else reading) et al. So, is this ASS part deux or somesuch?

1 minute ago, Karimlan said:

But you already have ASS!Camilla (as/s/ in, A Sketchy Summer Camilla to everyone else reading) et al. So, is this ASS part deux or somesuch?

Yeah. You need two cheeks to twerk.