How would you rebalance Lunatic Mode?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused why people are discussing big mechanics changes when difficulty increases only change enemy numbers/stats/skills/equipment and things like xp gain/starting stats. Reworking entire mechanics is not in the scope of a difficulty increase.

Edit: maybe throw in natty weapon triangle?

Edited by Centh

2 minutes ago, Centh said:

I'm confused why people are discussing big mechanics changes when difficulty increases only change enemy numbers/stats/skills/equipment and things like xp gain/starting stats. Reworking entire mechanics is not in the scope of a difficulty increase.

Because changing enemies numbers is not going to change anything because the balance is wrong on a fudamental level. This is "how would you balance" not "how would you think they will balance."

2 hours ago, Centh said:

Nerfing wyvern will make it less abusable as of right now. Enemy units don't take advantage of the dismount function so nerfing wyverns will affect the player much more than the enemy. So in a way it does make the game harder.

I highly doubt that they will add a weapon triangle since it is kind of difficult to implement it right now. 

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Because changing enemies numbers is not going to change anything because the balance is wrong on a fudamental level. This is "how would you balance" not "how would you think they will balance."

When has there ever been precedent for Lunatic introducing big mechanics changes? The biggest mechanical change I've encountered in a Lunatic mode is FE12 expanding dragon breath range to 1-2.

Threee Houses is obviously heavily unbalanced, but the chances of Lunatic fixing game imbalances is on par with soloing a map with a broken sword. Overextending might be harder, but the big brain OTK plays are still going to be there.

23 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

When has there ever been precedent for Lunatic introducing big mechanics changes? The biggest mechanical change I've encountered in a Lunatic mode is FE12 expanding dragon breath range to 1-2.

Threee Houses is obviously heavily unbalanced, but the chances of Lunatic fixing game imbalances is on par with soloing a map with a broken sword. Overextending might be harder, but the big brain OTK plays are still going to be there.

When we talk whole mechanic changes we don't mean JUST on Lunatic you know. Such changes would apply for the game in general in an effort to balance gameplay.

I don't know how this isn't sinking in. Lunatic and a balance patch are two different things. Lunatic is a difficulty. A balance patch is a change to core gameplay. They are not the same thing. Do you want a balance patch? Cool, but there's no info on that happening. There is info on lunatic difficulty coming out. How would lunatic change the difficulty? Changing enemies (skills, weapons, stats, etc), map setups (numbers, health bars, reinforcements, etc), and ease of use for your units (xp reduction, base stats, etc). Slamming these two things into the same conversation is pointless. One is a wishlist for what the game is like. One is educated guesses about a real possiblity.

I'll pass on the rest of this thread.

Here then:

-Make it unlikely most enemies will ever miss you. No dodging to save your ass.

-Make most enemies strong enough your unit are likely to be one-shotted unless they're a tank. Make having at least one tank a necessity to survive maps.

-Make it less likely you'll one-shot most enemies even with Lysithea double nuking or Brave Weapon quading. The best defense must NOT be a good offense.

-Give more enemies Counterattack so they can deal with "billion" range units. Thyrsus Lysithea must not go unscathed.

-Give enemy healers Fortify and spread them where they can reach multiple enemies at once. Enemies need good utility too.

And there you go. I don't care how exactly they would go about accomplishing some of these. Whether they just raise the enemy stats or give them some broken skills you can't get.

Just make Player phase nuking less viable and Enemy phase scarier.

Edited by Hyper L

Would also add more Enemies with Battalions and actually using more stronger Battalions. xD Well even supportive Battalions like Stride, that could mess you up if you are not looking carefully. 

But Nerfing Stride a little could also work. So many things they could change...

Archers should also get a hit bonus against Fliers somehow. So that you are actually forced to Demount your fliers....

Edited by Stroud

8 hours ago, Centh said:

I don't know how this isn't sinking in. Lunatic and a balance patch are two different things. Lunatic is a difficulty. A balance patch is a change to core gameplay. They are not the same thing. Do you want a balance patch? Cool, but there's no info on that happening. There is info on lunatic difficulty coming out. How would lunatic change the difficulty? Changing enemies (skills, weapons, stats, etc), map setups (numbers, health bars, reinforcements, etc), and ease of use for your units (xp reduction, base stats, etc). Slamming these two things into the same conversation is pointless. One is a wishlist for what the game is like. One is educated guesses about a real possiblity.

I'll pass on the rest of this thread.

Bye

My question was how YOU would rebalance, not how IS will.

Edited by IzzyFresh

I actually think we can look to lunatic Conquest for an idea of stuff that's realistic. To me, what that game did better than any in the series is discourage the bait and switch. Skills like poison strike, Savage blow, lunge, and inevitable end all served to stop you from just having one unit tank everything and then everybody else mop up. I think bringing all 3 of those back as enemy only skills in lunatic could go a long way in forcing some different tactics.

Additionally, they could plop an enemy near bosses whose sole purpose is slap rallies on them.

And you have to give more and you have to give more enemies counter-attack, it's way too easy to just out range everything on player phase between bows and magic relics.

Those are the those are the best ideas that I can think of without changing any core mechanics or things that have already been implemented.

Fliers can no longer attack while mounted, only when dismounted. They can still use gambits, rally, and trade, and they can counter when under attack. Enemy fliers can dismount. This restriction does not apply to flying monsters.

Bow Knights lose Bowrange+2 for Bowrange+1.

Dark Knights do not change, except that offensive magic sees a hit rate penalty when its range is extended by Thyrsus or Caduceus.