Is the theme song about Edelgard?

Spectrum

Every time I listen to the song(The Edge of Dawn, I believe) and the lyrics, I can't help but feel like this is everything from Edelgard's pov and saying it to Byleth. I'm really interested in this. I tried to think of it from Dimitri/Claude's pov and they didn't feel right at all. Maybe it's just me and my headcanon going on about this, but if there's anyone that can confirm if the song actually relates to her, I would appreciate it.

I remember someone saying that the song in Japanese is called something along of the lines "The maiden of Hresvelg". So yeah, it's probably her song.

EDIT: Just after I posted I saw @0 Def Cleric's post and it seems I was close. So yeah there you have it, definitely her song.

Edited by Hekselka

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The song is definitely in her perspective specifically. Especially since the credits version has different lyrics that are sadder, and only plays if you don't join her.

Really putting the feels in you if you liked Edelgard but went church route. 😞

I'll point out a few connections because I'm bored:

'Yet still I hide, behind this mask that I have become' - 

Spoiler

She's the Flame Emperor, yeah. She's hiding her true intentions and feelings about the world behind the Flame Emperor's mask, 'hide'ing those intentions behind her Flame Emperor persona.

'Here in cherished halls, in peaceful days' -

Spoiler

She knows fine well that after the 'peaceful days' of the academy she will be thrown into her duty as Emperor; and knows what she must do.

'My blackened heart, scorched by flames' -

Spoiler

She was experimented on and given the Crest of Flames; which was 'scorched' upon her being as the Crest was forced upon her.

I checked the song name on Fire Emblem wiki, it says the Japanese name is "Girl of Hresvelg ~Wind, Flower, Snow, Moon~" and it says it's about Edelgard or her perspective. Thanks everyone.

7 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I'll point out a few connections because I'm bored:

'Yet still I hide, behind this mask that I have become' - 

Hide contents

She's the Flame Emperor, yeah. She's hiding her true intentions and feelings about the world behind the Flame Emperor's mask, 'hide'ing those intentions behind her Flame Emperor persona.

'Here in cherished halls, in peaceful days' -

Hide contents

She knows fine well that after the 'peaceful days' of the academy she will be thrown into her duty as Emperor; and knows what she must do.

'My blackened heart, scorched by flames' -

Hide contents

She was experimented on and given the Crest of Flames; which was 'scorched' upon her being as the Crest was forced upon her.

Yes. These lyrics specifically made me connect it to Edelgard and I interpreted them the same way as yours. 

8 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Really putting the feels in you if you liked Edelgard but went church route. 😞

I think the ending song it's specially more powerful (and sad) if you (the player) precisely made that choice of playing Edelgard but ended up killing her...

Maybe in your own accord; maybe by accident; but you decided to let her song end her life in the edge of dawn.

I definitely agree that specifically choosing the church route make the song more powerful, also not quite sure what vow she's referring to if you're not playng that route. (Though I've haven't played Golden Deer yet cause my sister called dibs, and repeating the academy phase makes events in them kinda blur together.) 

19 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The song is definitely in her perspective specifically. Especially since the credits version has different lyrics that are sadder, and only plays if you don't join her.

Wait you get a different ending song in the church run? What are the differences, I didn't listen to it XD. Haha.

1 hour ago, Dylan Corona said:

Wait you get a different ending song in the church run? What are the differences, I didn't listen to it XD. Haha.

There are two endings songs; the sad(der) version of Edge of Dawn and a instrumental version (also known as Color of Sunrise); which is exclusive of Crimson Flower.

I guess the idea of the new song it's to work as an Anti-thesis of Edge of Dawn, fundamentally changing the meaning of the song.

Edited by Troykv

31 minutes ago, Troykv said:

There are two endings songs; the sad(der) version of Edge of Dawn and a instrumental version (also known as Color of Sunrise); which is exclusive of Crimson Flower.

I guess the idea of the new song it's to work as an Anti-thesis of Edge of Dawn, fundamentally changing the meaning the song.

I wonder if they're on the CD. I have it from the War Edition, but haven't listened to it. And I wasn't planning on replaying so soon lol.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:36 PM, Flere210 said:

It's kind of a rule that villains get the best song ...

IDK tbh she's not that villainous even when you choose Dmitri's route IMO.

Dmitri is out here literally slaughtering people as a self proclaimed monster only seeking revenge (and not even directing his hate at the right person but who he believes is responsible for his parents death...). Dmitri is pretty much an anti-hero for the better part of the time-skip arc and only manages to slightly redeem himself by the end. Maybe it's because I played Edelgard's route first but she seems much more of a heroic type of character despite everything that occurred due to her uncle. I'm actually really surprised they never really tied up that part of the storyline. The game just...ends. Or do they expound on more of this in Claude's story? Have yet to play his.

Edited by Eltoshen

On 8/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, 0 Def Cleric said:

I can confirm it, considering the JPN name of the song is "Lady of Hresvelg".

It's Edelgard's song. (It also has her VA, I believe?)

It's not her VA. They didn't get a voice actress to sing the song this time.

2 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

It's not her VA. They didn't get a voice actress to sing the song this time.

Huh, interesting. The singer does a pretty good Edelgard impression, in that case.