Inheritable Promotions

My feelings are quite strong that we'll eventually get another Fire Emblem game with Child Units given enough of a time gap from Fates, whether it be the coveted Genealogy of the Holy War remake or another new game.  I was considering having them in my own game (as SRPG Studio makes it very possible to pull off), but rejected them early on.  However, if I make another game after Sanctaea Chronicles, I wouldn't mind doing some experimenting with them.

One idea I have is that children can inherit promotions from their parents.  This is meant to combine branching promotion with Thracia 776's unit-based promotion to add an extra layer of gameplay-story integration.

Let's say, for example, that one of the Child Units is a Mage whose mother can marry an Armored Knight, a Cavalier, or a Priest.  If the mother doesn't marry any of them, she can get with an unnamed villager or something.  Now, if she doesn't marry a playable character, her child would have the default choice of promoting into either a Sorcerer or a Sage.  But if she did, one or even both of those could change into another, compatible promotion.  In this case, the Armored Knight would swap Sage for Baron for better defenses, the Cavalier would swap Sorcerer for Mage Knight for better movement, and the Priest would swap Sage for Bishop for a better Staff rank.

Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

This already happens in Awakening, as child units get their parents initial classes as a reclass option (dependant on gender), and thus, get access to the promoted versions of those classes.

Ah.  See, I'd completely forgotten about that.  It's been a very long time since I've played Awakening.

15 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Ah.  See, I'd completely forgotten about that.  It's been a very long time since I've played Awakening.

Doesn't Fates do this, too, albeit to a lesser extent than Awakening since the child units only get 3 classes instead of all of the class trees their parents got?

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Doesn't Fates do this, too, albeit to a lesser extent than Awakening since the child units only get 3 classes instead of all of the class trees their parents got?

Yes.  The idea is sort of there too in the form of Partner and Friendship Seals.