Best Classes of your Students (and Faculty) Encore: Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude

Jayvee94

BEST CLASSES FOR EACH UNIT ENCORE  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best endgame class for Edelgard?

• Falcon Knight
    • Wyvern Lord
    • Mortal Savant
    • Great Knight
    • Bow Knight
    • Dark Knight
    • Holy Knight
    • Gremory
    • Swordmaster
    • Assassin
    • Fortress Knight
    • Paladin
    • Wyvern Rider
    • Warrior
    • Sniper
    • Warlock
    • Bishop
    • Dancer
    • Emperor
  2. 2. What is the best endgame class for Dimitri?

• Wyvern Lord
    • Mortal Savant
    • Great Knight
    • Bow Knight
    • Dark Knight
    • Holy Knight
    • War Master
    • Hero
    • Swordmaster
    • Assassin
    • Fortress Knight
    • Paladin
    • Wyvern Rider
    • Warrior
    • Sniper
    • Grappler
    • Warlock
    • Dark Bishop
    • Bishop
    • Dancer
    • Great Lord
  3. 3. What is the best endgame class for Claude?

• Wyvern Lord
    • Mortal Savant
    • Great Knight
    • Bow Knight
    • Dark Knight
    • Holy Knight
    • War Master
    • Hero
    • Swordmaster
    • Assassin
    • Fortress Knight
    • Paladin
    • Wyvern Rider
    • Warrior
    • Sniper
    • Grappler
    • Warlock
    • Dark Bishop
    • Bishop
    • Dancer
    • Barbarossa
  4. 4. What do you want to vote for after this?

• Equippable Abilities Tier List
    • Equippable Combat Arts Tier List

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/21/2019 at 12:37 PM

Dorothea's spell lists are great, with Thoron, Physic and Meteor as standouts. She's very valuable as a combat unit, able to nuke or soften key targets at long range . Because of these three spells, she functions fantastically as a backliner, exploiting her spells' range.

Upon hitting 20, she becomes a devastating Warlock, gaining Black Tomefaire and doubling her Meteor uses. She can even remain viably here long-term. Warlock is her highest damage option, as the only class combining Black Tomefaire and doubled uses. When she expends both her Meteors, she can transition to a support role, throwing out Physics where appropriate and Thorons if she gets in range of anything. She has at least 7 turns (2 meteors, 5 Physics) where she doesn't need to be anywhere near the frontlines,  so the class' poor movement is no downside. As a Gremory, she has slightly less raw power. The class gives a bonus of 5 Magic, compared to Warlock giving 3 Magic + Tomefaire for a functional total of 8. It also offers more move, but Meteor and Physic tend to make that less valuable. Her poor White spell list means the doubled uses are pretty pointless, making this less compelling compared to Warlock. As a Dancer, she has a rare niche in her Meteor access. Simply by having it equipped, she can contribute to Linked Attack bonuses over an incredible range, boosting most or all of your army's combat bonuses. However, this wastes her as a combat unit, when there are characters weak in combat that can be redeemed by making them into dancebots.

IMO Warlock > Dancer > Gremory

Ferdinand is much more straightforward. Wyvern Lord is, as always, a great class. While his boons scream Great Knight, the class requires a huge amount of investment (B+ Axe and Riding, A Armor, when Armor and Riding cannot be raised simultaneously), actually less than Wyvern Lord does. Frankly, it isn't even that good- worse mobility and , for whatever reason, way worse stats than the Wyvern Lord. Hell, Paladin is probably better. More movement, better stat boosts, even better growths. All Great Knight brings to the table is the double Faires, but this forces you to choose between Lance/Axe Prowess, Breaker, and +Crit skills, which will be competing for space with each other and your other skills.

IMO Wyvern Lord > Paladin > Great Knight

Don't be tempted by Felix's talent in Reason. His spell list is poor and Mortal Savant requires heavy amounts of split investment, since you can't raise Reason and Swords at the same time. You can achieve the same ranged capabilities by making him an Assassin. His strength is much better than his Magic, and his crest boosts weapon attacks (frequently), so physical focus is better (plus you can always use a Levin Sword for magic, it still gets the Faire boost). If you want to make him a Master Class, he's devastating as a War Master, as Gauntlets work well with his high strength and frequently proccing flat damage bonus. You probably ant him to have some training in Axes anyway to grab Death Blow. His canon class of Swordmaster gives him the best sword based offense, but misses a 20% movement boost for a measly 10% crit boost.

IMO War Master >= Assassin >= Swordmaster > Mortal Savant

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorothea: Dancer. Gremory would be my second choice, but I have a very specific reason for Dancer (Spoilers below).

Spoiler

My other choice for Dancer, Flayn, is unavailable in Crimson Flower (Pro-Edelgard) route. At least this is my case.

Besides, if you have someone good with Reason magic other than Hubert in the team, and also Linhardt, then there is not much else she can contribute other than Thoron, Siege magic, and extra physics. And she can keep all of that as a Dancer.

Ferdinand von Aegir: While I am making him a Great Knight my first playthrough, I do think Cav->Pal->BK is best for him. Just because he retains full movement and has big boi range with a bow. Shame there is no Lancefaire.

Felix: Again, Bow Knight (or even War Master) would be better, but Mortal Savant feels most right.

Voted Bernie, Sylvain, and Marianne.

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

felix

mortal savant is the biggest bait class ever jesus, never do this unless you want to ruin the unit

i've done brawler/warmaster, sniper, and SM/Hero/MS(It was my first run and I was baited)

Personally, Sniper was the most fun but warmaster was just so efficient

dorothea

dancer, moving on
if you don't have her as a dancer, gremory is the other option (but her support list is fantastic so make her a magic dancer and you'll be a-ok)

ferd

idk, i've made him a paladin, dancer, and a gk, as well as a hero

i liked hero a lot, paladin was ok, dancer was meh, gk was meh
so personal bias says hero but paladin is probably better

caspar/ashe/leonie

Dancer Dorothea plays to her strengths (its also canon I think since she keeps her timskip outfit in it). Any turn she isnt dancing she can just drop a meteor on some unsuspecting fool. Make sure to go into Mage first at least so she can at least grab Fiendish Blow. Only gripe with her is that her Riding Growth is low, she'd love to get that Move +1 skill for more reliable dancing.

I'm of the mindset that you can make Ferd literally anything you want. I'd vouch for the Swordmaster meme since he has a dodge based personal skill, buuut that Riding proficiency speaks for itself. Paladin's a solid choice.

War Master Felix is based. Probably one of the best user of gauntlets in general due to that major crest and his proficiency in brawling. His relic item also helps him 1-2 range with hand axes more safely as well.

Nothing on Ferdinand and Dorothea, haven't done BEs fully yet. 

Mortal Savant Felix is surprisingly good if you put the investment into reason. While the magic growth rate is poor, he learns Thoron, which hits from a 3 tiles away, which is very useful. Not to mention as the game progresses, most enemies become slow and physically based, so have a high speed unit with speed and magic is always useful. 

I voted Wyvern Lord for Ferd and Dancer for Dorothea. Haven't actually used them, but those seem like the classes I'd want them in.

As for Felix... well.

I put him into Mortal Savant, after investing into Reason a little during instruction. He wasn't bad, per se, but his role did change. Now, instead of the super fast, dodge-tanky unit who could consistently one-round units even with an iron sword, he became the fast mage who could one round enemies, except was liable to go down pretty quickly if he ever saw an enemy phase (where did all your avoid go, Felix? And your speed, for that matter? I mean, it was still decent, but...). I almost gave him his relic to help him survive a little better, but that would have made his speed even worse. Even so, he was still in my Top 5 units that playthrough, he just may have been better if he had stayed in Assassin or something. His access to Thoron made him one of my go to units in a tricky situation, and he was fast enough to double most enemies with it. Not to mention all the crits.

Anyway, tl;dr, I voted MS for Felix, because while it shoehorns him into a different role, he still works in said role, and his access to magic saved my butt more times than I expected it to.

Dorothea is a good dancer for Eagles and Deer where you have better mages (Hubert and Marianne/Lysithea), but when I recruited her in Lions and used her full potential man, was she a powerhouse. So I'd say Gremory since basically everyone is a good dancer, though imo she's the best one since she has access to both long range attack (Meteor) and long range healing (Physic). Also strong in sword if you're ever going to use a sword instead of a spell (I doubt it).

Felix I like to keep as an Assassin, Mortal Savant is just not a good class, and I'd rather abuse his crazy speed, I'd consider it if he had a spell with higher Mt than f-ing Thoron. Would be nice if Swordmaster were viable in endgame, but Assassin having 1 more Mov and Bow proficiency is just better. That said, if we're going for optimization Felix is a Bow Knight.

About Ferdie, I'm sad that so many people are going for Master classes on this guy, I get that Wyvern Lord is his best class, but it gets boring since it's everyone's best class. Great Knight seems interesting, but you're forgetting that Paladin is actually a damn good endgame class, better than GK imo. And you can really focus down lances without hopping into weird axe cavalier shenaningans. (which is fun, but unless you're in NG+, getting to GK without statues might be a pain, especially if you go for the shorter Edelgard route). Chicol's lance (can't remember the name) is also very nice with his ability, since it puts him back to avoid boost.

Edited by timon

Felix: would go with Swordmaster or Mortal Savant. I think Mortal Savant is not the superior version of the sword class, but rather a niche alternative. The growth rates really hurt that one.

Ferdinand: I'd say he should be Wyvern Lord. If cavalry units wouldn't suffer in Spd growth, I'd give him on of those.

Dorothea: A mage class sounds god for her, but I'm going to vote for Dancer regardless - I still think she's the 2nd best choice as a dancer.

3 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Felix: would go with Swordmaster or Mortal Savant. I think Mortal Savant is not the superior version of the sword class, but rather a niche alternative. The growth rates really hurt that one.

Ferdinand: I'd say he should be Wyvern Lord. If cavalry units wouldn't suffer in Spd growth, I'd give him on of those.

Dorothea: A mage class sounds god for her, but I'm going to vote for Dancer regardless - I still think she's the 2nd best choice as a dancer.

One thing I will say for Mortal Savant is that it probably makes the best use of Levin Sword with swordflaire and the boost to magic the class provides. It hurts your speed growth but if you leveled up in classes with positive speed growth then you should have enough speed that it won't matter much.

Edited by wissenschaft

Saying somebody is "best" as a dancer is dumb.

Literally everybody is good as a dancer, and has almost the exact same usefulness in the class. It shouldn't even be an option on there.

Edited by Silly

3 minutes ago, Silly said:

Literally everybody is good as a dancer, and has almost the exact same usefulness in the class. It shouldn't even be an option on there.

Wait, did you just hint that I'm dumb?

I think I already explained a few times why I find a few units to be better as dancer as others, so I hope you didn't mean that.

20 hours ago, timon said:

Chicol's lance (can't remember the name)

Spear of Assal.

I'm curious why Bow Knight is the 2nd most favored endgame class for Felix.

Edited by Jayvee94

1 hour ago, Silly said:

We're not comparing units to each other. The topic is about what class is the character is better suited for, not who does it better.

So it doesn't matter if Petra has the same usefulness as a Dancer as Dorothea. What matters is that Petra will probably excell in another class more than she would as a Dancer meanwhile Dorothea doesn't have much options outside of Gremory or Dancer so having her as a Dancer is a viable, maybe even preferable, alternative for her.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

6 hours ago, The Black Pot said:

Dorothea's spell lists are great, with Thoron, Physic and Meteor as standouts. She's very valuable as a combat unit, able to nuke or soften key targets at long range . Because of these three spells, she functions fantastically as a backliner, exploiting her spells' range.

Upon hitting 20, she becomes a devastating Warlock, gaining Black Tomefaire and doubling her Meteor uses. She can even remain viably here long-term. Warlock is her highest damage option, as the only class combining Black Tomefaire and doubled uses. When she expends both her Meteors, she can transition to a support role, throwing out Physics where appropriate and Thorons if she gets in range of anything. She has at least 7 turns (2 meteors, 5 Physics) where she doesn't need to be anywhere near the frontlines,  so the class' poor movement is no downside. As a Gremory, she has slightly less raw power. The class gives a bonus of 5 Magic, compared to Warlock giving 3 Magic + Tomefaire for a functional total of 8. It also offers more move, but Meteor and Physic tend to make that less valuable. Her poor White spell list means the doubled uses are pretty pointless, making this less compelling compared to Warlock. As a Dancer, she has a rare niche in her Meteor access. Simply by having it equipped, she can contribute to Linked Attack bonuses over an incredible range, boosting most or all of your army's combat bonuses. However, this wastes her as a combat unit, when there are characters weak in combat that can be redeemed by making them into dancebots.

I was going to vote Gremory, but you made a compelling case and I agree. Warlock for Dorothea.
It doesn't help that her actual combat magic isn't stellar and she needs extra uses bad enough that Dark Knight would probably not work that well for her.

Ferdinand I like as a Bow knight due to the extra accuracy. But it's Wyvern Lord.

Felix I like as a Warmaster/Grappler. But it's Wyvern Lord.

Edited by Cysx

On 8/20/2019 at 4:30 AM, Silly said:

I do think that Lysithea is a little overrated by most people.

In terms of pure LTC she is still top tier just because of her extremely early access to Warp. The difference between only needing to get to B rank and needing A rank is actually very huge, since later ranks require increasingly more amounts of weapon exp. For reference, going all the way from E+ to B rank for Warp access on Lysithea takes the same amount of exp as going from B rank to A rank on the other characters (which is where Manuela and Lindhart learn Warp).

In terms of just efficient play I found her to be less good than most people were claiming she was. She still has the typical mage weaknesses of poor enemy phase combat and low mobility for most of the game, so I often found her falling behind (as is typical of mages). Especially if you warp someone on turn 1, since doing so means you have to stick around near the starting location instead of moving on the first turn. She is still by far the best non-Physic mage, but I wouldn't put her in top tier in the context of an efficient but non-LTC playthrough.

Also, 5 uses of Physic is reasonable on maps if you're playing efficiently. Say your mage attacks someone on the first two turns or so (the turns where there is actually likely to be people in range for you to attack). Then you use Physic every single turn afterwards. By the time you're out of Physics, it's already turn 8. At that point you should have already finished or be close to finishing a typical map. If you have 10 uses of Physic, you will basically never run out unless you're going super slowly. Also, you could just use two different Physic mages, which would put you at more than enough uses even if neither of them are Bishops/Gremories.

I have never encountered a target that Lys can’t kill in one round making her perhaps the best player phase unit in the game. Enemy Petra late game might be the only one because when you encounter her she has absurd speed so doesn’t get doubled and possibly not hit at all. But that’s a single unit which equates to trivia. Lys with relic staff (thyrsus?) is pretty much inarguably OP. 3-6 range is devastating. I just follow her around with a pocket dancer. If she’s not killing things her heals and utility spells are also great. Even without the staff or OHKO potential her spell list is really good and I could see myself still using her to debuff targets.

I have to admit, Dorothea may be my favorite unit, both as a character and in gameplay. I know Lysithea is a more powerful mage, there’s no denying that, but Dorothea has my favorite spell list. Thoron, Meteor, Physic, Agnea’s Arrow... even Sagittae is a really nice, reliable damage dealer with a ton of uses per battle. I’m told she makes a good Dancer, but I’ve never been able to give up the extra spell casts and extra magic growth she gets from Gremory, it’s just too good. Double Meteor? Exquisite.

Felix I’m never quite sure what to do with. He’s a damn good unit, and I’ve been fairly satisfied with him regardless of class choice: no matter what you pick, chances are good Felix is gonna be generally good at his job. As a result, I feel like the correct answer to what is the best job for Felix is “whatever the hell you want”.

Ferdie I’ve only used once, and it was on my first run when I still didn’t really know what I was doing. I made him a Great Knight, and the results were... satisfactory I suppose. A bit underwhelming. When I inevitability do my Church run, I’ll probably turn him into a Wyvern Lord instead, since you pretty much can’t go wrong with that. 

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

We're not comparing units to each other. The topic is about what class is the character is better suited for, not who does it better.

So it doesn't matter if Petra has the same usefulness as a Dancer as Dorothea. What matters is that Petra will probably excell in another class more than she would as a Dancer meanwhile Dorothea doesn't have much options outside of Gremory or Dancer so having her as a Dancer is a viable, maybe even preferable, alternative for her.

In this case: "This unit's best class as a dancer" is literally every single lower tier unit, which is not very interesting or helpful in my opinion.

Heck, Dorothea is actually not even as bad as some other students, so she probably shouldn't actually be your dancer. She provides useful utility as a regular magic class, and making her a dancer means you either sacrifice the ability to use spells freely on her or you give up dancing for the turn (which is not something that should really be done in an efficient strategy).

To be honest, the ideal traits for "best dancer" are kind of dumb:

1. Be a bad unit. Either you got stat screwed on this particular run, or your growths/strengths/etc were never good to begin with.

2. Preferably have a strength in riding. This point isn't 100% necessary, but it's nice.

Everything else is mostly irrelevant. You don't need to be good at swords or magic or whatever, your dancer should be dancing pretty much every turn, because that is by far the highest value option in the vast majority of situations. Likewise, your dancer should not be positioned somewhere where you have to see enemy phase combat. Even if your dancer doesn't die to an enemy when attacked, they likely do not have nearly as good EP combat compared to your dedicated combat units, so you should just position in a way such that the enemy is aiming for you stronger units.

2 hours ago, Peck said:

I have never encountered a target that Lys can’t kill in one round making her perhaps the best player phase unit in the game. Enemy Petra late game might be the only one because when you encounter her she has absurd speed so doesn’t get doubled and possibly not hit at all. But that’s a single unit which equates to trivia. Lys with relic staff (thyrsus?) is pretty much inarguably OP. 3-6 range is devastating. I just follow her around with a pocket dancer. If she’s not killing things her heals and utility spells are also great. Even without the staff or OHKO potential her spell list is really good and I could see myself still using her to debuff targets.

She has a good player phase, but so do other high/top tier units. This is especially true given that player phase combat is considerably easier than enemy phase combat due to the potential existence of combat arts, and of skills like Darting/Death Blow (every one of your Wyverns should ideally have at least one of these skills). However, those other units also have much better enemy phases, due to having much better bulk.

Also, she is stuck in a class that has 4 movement, no canto, and takes terrain penalties for the first 30 levels of the game. Whereas physical classes become a lot more mobile as time goes on. Healing with her is very hard for this reason if you're playing efficiently, as trying to make sure your 4 move unit is usually next to one of your frontline units with 5/6/7/8 move is a huge hassle, and slows you down/causes you to move inefficiently.

She's a good unit, and definitely in the running for best magic user, but unless you place an absurdly high importance on Warp (for example, in the context of an LTC run), then she isn't "the best" unit in the game.

Edited by Silly

Dorothea as a Dancer is just too perfect. I've found Meteor is better as the ultimate utility spell rather than a siege weapon. Just equipping it spreads her support bonuses and Gambit Boosts across the map. It doesn't matter that it only has one use since she should be refreshing other units. You lose out on her long range offensive capabilities, sure, but since basically everyone wants a mount, +5 Mov from Stride even existing, and Warp-skipping to the enemy commander being easier than ever, it literally doesn't matter. She can use Physic if she isn't in range to refresh someone, but I've had great success in giving her the March Ring since 7 (or 12 with Stride) Mov gets the job done.

Ferdinand is a Bow Knight. Getting to A+ Riding for Movement +1 is absolutely trivial, and the enhanced bow range is stupidly good. He has to invest in bows since he's neutral with them, but bows are one of the few things actually worth investing in.

I need to play Blue Lions to get a fresh perspective on Felix. Recruiting him late in Golden Deer did him no favors since he was heavily invested by default into swords and brawling, two skills that don't exactly overlap. I ended up investing in bows to make him an Assassin to middling success. Bow Knight or War Master are probably his best options when training him from scratch.

While I know Mortal Savant Felix is not only hard to get, but also Felix has a painfully low magic growth BUT his budding talent more than makes up for it. 

A +10% crit rate more than makes up for his low magic growth. In addition, due to how few enemies actually resist magic in this game, he can easily out take out end-game enemies with just over 20 magic. Mix in the fact that he will have Thoron to hit with 3 range and he's actually really good.

While training for Mortal Savant, he can comfortably use his sword prowess to dominate the entire game with great growths, personal skill, and fantastic base speed. Mortal Savant just becomes the cherry on top at the end. 

7 minutes ago, Skell_ said:

While I know Mortal Savant Felix is not only hard to get, but also Felix has a painfully low magic growth BUT his budding talent more than makes up for it. 

A +10% crit rate more than makes up for his low magic growth. In addition, due to how few enemies actually resist magic in this game, he can easily out take out end-game enemies with just over 20 magic. Mix in the fact that he will have Thoron to hit with 3 range and he's actually really good.

While training for Mortal Savant, he can comfortably use his sword prowess to dominate the entire game with great growths, personal skill, and fantastic base speed. Mortal Savant just becomes the cherry on top at the end. 

I doubt it - he probably won't have enough crit with magic to bank on between enemies having actual luck stats and the prowess skills that give crit evade, among other bonuses.

2 minutes ago, Skell_ said:

^This is why I like Mortal Savant Felix. Felix can be good at whatever he does, he gets a free five damage for not having a battalion assigned, and his stats are generally pretty good all around. Even with a low magic stat, I’ve found his spells do enough to 1RKO most non-magic using units in the late game. But more importantly, it gives him flexibility: he’s still an excellent swordsman, and the lousy speed growth of Mortal Savant won’t matter because by that point his speed should already be very good. He’ll still do more damage with a sword than with his magic, but now he’s suddenly a hybrid unit, so no matter what type of enemy he faces, he can choose to attack whichever defense is weaker. Mages and Pegasus/Falcon Knights (or other high resistance units) he can easily dispatch with his sword, and his magic, while not all that impressive, is more than powerful enough to take down Fortress/Great Knights and other units with high enough defense to survive his sword. It’s one of the main appeals of Enlightened One Byleth, that magic/strength flexibility. The only real drawback, and it’s a significant one, is his low mobility that means he has a hard time keeping up with faster moving units.