Talk about your current playthrough here *character join spoilers*

I didn't see any other topics like this one, if there is let me know. I would say that any story spoilers should be marked just in case but that characters are fair game since there aren't really surprise joins.

Anyway, I'm on run #4, finally on the church one. I've decided to base my team entirely around memes. currently on ch7. The team plan and their final classes:

1. Byleth - Bishop

2. Seteth - Hero

3. Flayn - Fortress Knight

4. Raphael - Assassin

5. Lorenz - Noble

6. Leonie - Gremory

7. Bernadetta - Dancer

8. Marianne - Warrior

9. Caspar - Dark Knight

10. Felix - Sniper

Successes so far: Marianne has easily been MVP. Fun fact that's easy to overlook, her "mystery crest" effect is the same as crest of Fraldarius so she low key puts in work with gauntlets. Lorenz has had oddly good growths. Felix has been great but he's the actual good unit in a class that makes sense for him so that's be to expected.

Challenges going forward: This team has no flying and one mount, and everyone sucks at magic. Caspar keeps gaining strength as a mage, Raphael refuses to gain speed as a thief, and it's killing me. I shudder to think of my team with so many 4 move characters, and I'm not using stride because support gambits are cheating. Lorenz is literally going to have HP +5 and random prowessesand that's it.

But this run has been fun and even somewhat challenging. How is your run going?

Midway through chapter 11 (February) in my Golden Deer run - which is my first run of the game. I'm about 80 hours in, though that's somewhat misleading as I've had plenty idle time. That said, I don't think a second run will be forthcoming just yet, not because I dislike what I've seen, but because I don't think I want to repeat any of this content with little variation.

Anyway, all the paralogues except the Hilda/Cyril one are expiring, so I have to do two consecutive weekends of battles just to clear them, plus the rare monster battle, which gave me Rusted Hauteclere. Fortunately there's just enough time to do so. Only just managed to recruit Sylvain at the start of the month, which leads to the absurd situation of having to do a level 13 paralogue with a level 22-ish squad. The timing seems really tight for completionists given A+ professor rank doesn't seem attainable for a "normal" playthrough by this stage of the game, there will have been exactly the right number of battle points to get every quest, paralogue and rare monster battle in the game by the end of the month. I have not done auxiliary battles unless there were no other options for battle.

Squad is fine, feels plenty powerful at this stage of the game, not least because my squad of fliers tends to trivialise things. Currently fielding four wyvern riders in my A-team: Petra, Claude, Raphael and Hilda. I've had to switch Ingrid to Paladin temporarily due to the lack of flier battalions: I have one spare now but it's A-rank which means no one can currently use it.

A-Team:

Byleth (Love Guru Enlightened One)

Petra, Claude, Raphael, Hilda (Royal Alliance Air Force)

Leonie, Ingrid (Hussars)

Catherine, Shamir, Lysethia, Marianne (foot soldiers, but all except Lysethia will probably gain a mount sooner rather than later)

Subs: Dorothea, Flayn, Felix in their default roles. Lorenz (dancer), Ignatz (Assassin/Paladin).

After just finishing Blue Lions, I have an exam tomorrow. Instead of studying for it (don't worry, I'm basically set), I started a NG+ with the intention of joining Golden Deer.

If I can be bothered, I might try a playthrough where I recruit all the students, because having to kill everyone was too hard. (Might leave Petra in BE though just for daring to have like 150 avoid last time I fought her. You have no business being that dodgy)

Also considering how much of a mess my Avatar was on my last playthrough, I might buy some of those skill levels back so he can get to some of the mastery skills earlier. I've wanted to try Pavise/Aegis/Renewal on the avatar for a while, maybe on something with stupid offense like a War Master... *evil laughter*...

(there's no way that'll go to plan)

As an aside, I named my Avatar Teach so Claude can actually refer to me by name (wanted to go Professor but the name restriction is 8 letters)

Currently at the third run in Blue Lion. And playing around with some characters. For example how many damage my Dedue can reach with Vengeance...using Marianne as a Magic fighter with Aura Gloves and Levin Sword. Which is pretty fun. 

Getting Mariannes Brawl Lv to A took me btw almost 99 Rounds on one map. And I didn't realize that its Game Over after 99 Turns. xD 

Also trying to Convert Arianne into a "Magic Fighter" should be actually a bit easier compared to Marianne. I kind of wish there is a class fitting for Arianne.. Like a Magic Brawler...or Magic Berserk.

Edited by Stroud

Spoiler

Just cleared the Black Eagles true route last night. Those last two chapters were pretty tough, especially the second-to-last. Dimitri one-rounded most of my units, so I had to surround Edelgard with supports and take him out with Lightning Axe on Aymr.

The last map was going well for a while but due to bad tactics a group of units got stuck in the bottom right corner between two of the golems, and since the biggest damage dealers down there were magically inclined I had to rely on Ferdinand's crest the whole time...but it activated every time I needed it to, and that coupled with Impregnable Wall got most of them to survive (RIP Caspar and Lysithea). I also lost Bernadetta and Dorothea to The Immaculate One's gambit, because I was so desperate for barrier breaks that I left them in range...

I barely won, but it was a totally blind playthrough from start to finish (using zero online features) and none of my units were anywhere near optimal besides Bernadetta and Shamir, who is a contender for top 5 in the entire game she's so good. At any rate, I think I'm going to retry the finale and keep everyone alive. I made a separate save for the Church Route, so after I beat that I think I'll go Blue Lions, then Golden Deer.

I think NG+ is kind of cheesy so I don't think I'll use it for my other playthroughs - I prefer things to be at least somewhat challenging.

Edited by De Geso

My current playthrough is straight up out of control. I’m on my second New Game+, and I maxed out my professor level immediately, so I have tons of activity points right off the bat, which has lead to some... odd things. I’m doing a Blue Lions run, and I didn’t think I was doing that much grinding, I typically don’t do many extra battles when I choose to spend a free day battling, but I do always use up all of my activity points when battling to get more renown, so when I choose to spend a day fighting, I usually do between 3 and 5 battles, because I have three activity points to spend.

I’m on chapter six now, and I looked up to notice I’m somehow absurdly overleveled, like the recommend level for the mission is 9, and all of my units are between level 12 and level 15, except Byleth, who is somehow level 21. I don’t know how I didn’t realize this until it got this bad, but I have officially lost control of this run. And I have to do some optional battles to complete quests and unlock merchants and stuff, so honestly I think it’s too late to fix this, so I may as well lean into it and get as stupidly overpowered as I can at this point.

To that end, I’m going with the most overpowered builds available, which pretty much means my end goal is a boatload of Wyvern Lords. I’m even trying to turn Dedue into one, which is challenging given his weakness in flying, but it’s actually going surprisingly well, he’s already qualified for Wyvern Rider, even though he needs 5-6 more levels before he can take the exam, so it might actually work. Suffice to say, this isn’t going to be a particularly challenging run, but that’s fine, I’m still enjoying it. 

Edited by ZanaLyrander

Went BL my first playthrough and played as legit as possible. Now in NG+ I'm a Golden Deer and I want to see how much I can break. I want as many pegasi and wyverns as possible. Of course, all my male units must be brigands for death blow. In addition, they all are getting training in bows so I can just snipe melee units and demolish other flying units. Using forbidden stuff like amiibo freebies and using faculty training to make Byleth a god.

NG++ is going to be Black Eagles though. All armored archers. Shadow Dragon had the right idea with them.

i'm on my last playthrough, with Golden Deers, and i wanted to play quite safe for these first runs, so i just promoted my characters into their """canon""" classes (bow knight bernadetta, mortal savant felix and so on)

when i'll feel like playing this game once more i'll be more original with classes and weapons

Edited by Yexin

Still only on my first run (Golden Deer). I'm looking to recruit Dorothea and Petra, because of course (I've recruited all the other female students).

I'm still in my first file, I got my game 1 week later because of the lack of a proper videogame store in my city, and then I can only play like 1 hour per day so...

I'm on Blue Lions chapter... errr... 18 I think (the one with the giant mechas). Main team is around lv 40 in their final master class, exception are Dimitri since he have his exclusive class, same with Byleth

Previously Dorothea make me feel bad for not recruiting Ferdinan and now I'm thinking in maing a +file to save everyone

Somehow I loss Hanneman... Ok, I never recruited him in the school pass and I thought he would joint me after the time skip by default, but nope! He is gone! he probably got killed in the attack before the timeskip haha

23 hours ago, De Geso said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just cleared the Black Eagles true route last night. Those last two chapters were pretty tough, especially the second-to-last. Dimitri one-rounded most of my units, so I had to surround Edelgard with supports and take him out with Lightning Axe on Aymr.

The last map was going well for a while but due to bad tactics a group of units got stuck in the bottom right corner between two of the golems, and since the biggest damage dealers down there were magically inclined I had to rely on Ferdinand's crest the whole time...but it activated every time I needed it to, and that coupled with Impregnable Wall got most of them to survive (RIP Caspar and Lysithea). I also lost Bernadetta and Dorothea to The Immaculate One's gambit, because I was so desperate for barrier breaks that I left them in range...

I barely won, but it was a totally blind playthrough from start to finish (using zero online features) and none of my units were anywhere near optimal besides Bernadetta and Shamir, who is a contender for top 5 in the entire game she's so good. At any rate, I think I'm going to retry the finale and keep everyone alive. I made a separate save for the Church Route, so after I beat that I think I'll go Blue Lions, then Golden Deer.

I think NG+ is kind of cheesy so I don't think I'll use it for my other playthroughs - I prefer things to be at least somewhat challenging.

Update: Replayed the last map and cleared without losing any units (actually used my brain this time). Next, after I get the Tetris theme this weekend, will be Blue Lions as f!Byleth. I'm thinking of going Falco on her, but you lose out on a lot of battalion access early on in the sky so I'm not sure.

Currently playing Blue Lions (and nearing the end @ Ch 20.

Here is everyone’s class progression and weapons used (Spoilered for length):

Spoiler

Byleth: Commoner->Myrmidon->Mercenary->Enlightened One (Uses Swords, Axes, and Gauntlets)

Dimitri: Noble->Soldier->Lord->High Lord->Great Lord (Uses Swords and Lances)

Dedue: Commoner->Fighter->Brigand->Warrior->War Master (Survived tineskip; Uses Axes and Gauntlets)

Felix: Noble->Myrmidon->Thief->Swordmaster->Mortal Savant (Uses Swords, Bows, and Reason magic)

Ashe: Commoner->Fighter->Archer->Sniper->Bow Knight (Uses Bows And Lances)

Sylvain: Noble->Fighter->Cavalier->Paladin->Great Knight (Uses Lances and Axes)

Mercedes: Commoner->Monk->Priest->Bishop->Gremory (Uses Bows (though not often), Reason magic, and Faith magic)

Annette: Noble->Monk->Mage->Warlock->Gremory (Uses Axes (again, not often), Reason magic, and Faith magic)

Ingrid: Noble->Soldier->Pegasus Knight->Wyvern Rider->Falcon Knight (Uses Swords, Lances, and Axes)

Cyril: Commoner->Fighter->Brigand->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord (Uses Lances, Axes, and Bows)

Shamir: Sniper->Bow Knight (Uses Lances and Bows)

Catherine: Swordmaster->Mortal Savant (Uses Sword, Gauntlets, and Reason magic)

Flayn: Priest->Dancer (Uses Lances (or has Lances, I guess), Reason Magic, and Faith Magic)

Manuela: Priest->Bishop (Uses Swords and Faith magic; part way through, I realized that Holy Knight may not be worth it)

Hanneman: Mage->Warlock (Uses Bows (not often) and Reason magic; same as Manuela, but with Dark Knight)

Alois: Warrior->War Master (Uses Axes and Gauntlets)

Seteth: Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord (Uses Lances and Axes)

Bernadetta: Archer->Sniper->Bow Knight (Uses Lances and Bows)

Caspar: Brigand->Warrior->War Master (Uses Axes and Gauntlets)

Marianne: Priest->Bishop->Holy Knight (Uses Swords, Lances, and Faith magic)

Leonie: Cavalier->Paladin->Bow Knight (Uses Lances and Bows)

And here are my attempted paired endings this playthrough:

Spoiler

Byleth/Bernadetta (Decided from even before I recruited her this playthrough)

Dimitri/Marianne

Dedue/Mercedes

Felix/Leonie (Not working so well right now because I trained with Felix too much)

Ashe/Annette

Sylvain/Ingrid

Cyril/Shamir

Catherine/Caspar

Flayn/Seteth

Manuela/Alois (not working out because I trained with both of them too much)

So basically, I wish IntSys would have put in place a system to lock paired endings to ensure they happen. With the Support points system in place, though, this does not seem likely.

On my Golden Deer Run, I'm playing a bit magic heavy.

Byleth -> Bishop

Claude -> Wyvern Master

Hilda -> Wyvern Lord

Leonie -> Bow Knight

Lorenz -> Dark Knight

Lysithea -> Gremory

Marianne -> Dancer

Ashe -> Bow Knight

Sylvain -> Paladin

Linhardt -> Bishop

Not likely to use Lorenz much in the future because I don't find him that useful. Not likely to use Hilda because her personality is grating. Not using Byleth as a magic user in the future because he's simply more fun and effective as a swordie.

Edited by Etheus

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Not using Byleth as a magic user in the future because he's simply more fun and effective as a swordie.

This is a sad truth, and was kinda disappointing to me tbh: the magic system in TH is really good, which is why it’s disappointing that Byleth’s magic growth and spell list are so mediocre. It can still work, in my first run I alternated between Enlightened One and Mortal Savant and my Byleth was a fairly powerful hybrid unit. It was a reliable build that made it easy to deal with high defense or resistance enemies by attacking with what they were weaker to, but a pure mage build for Byleth isn’t really that good.

30 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

This is a sad truth, and was kinda disappointing to me tbh: the magic system in TH is really good, which is why it’s disappointing that Byleth’s magic growth and spell list are so mediocre. It can still work, in my first run I alternated between Enlightened One and Mortal Savant and my Byleth was a fairly powerful hybrid unit. It was a reliable build that made it easy to deal with high defense or resistance enemies by attacking with what they were weaker to, but a pure mage build for Byleth isn’t really that good.

I really am baffled at how flawed his spell list is, especially considering that Faith is his budding talent.

I really think Byleth's Faith pool should have been more offensive, with Heal, Nosferatu, Seraphim, Rescue, and Aura. Whereas I think his Reason pool should have been all Dark magic. That would have given him a lot more 3 range options while also making those Dark Seals not totally worthless.

Edited by Etheus

36 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I really think Byleth's Faith pool should have been more offensive, with Heal, Nosferatu, Seraphim, Rescue, and Aura. Whereas I think his Reason pool should have been all Dark magic. That would have given him a lot more 3 range options while also making those Dark Seals not totally worthless.

Sometimes I am also a bit confused with what they are giving to the characters. Like Byleth gets White Magic Avo +20 and simply does not make any use of it? If its worthwhile using or not aside they should at least make sense with it. That some abilities are in sync with the Magic/Combart Arts.

He isn't the only one I think that way though.. we will see. Maybe we get something with the DLC's to compensate here. 

Same applies to Sylvains Magic growth, which just makes it a gamble to turn him into a mage. 

32 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I really am baffled at how flawed his spell list is, especially considering that Faith is his budding talent.

Also, since Byleth is an avatar a bit of customisation would have been nice. imo they should've given him default Sword and Authority, I can accept the Faith talent since it makes some sense story wise, but allow me to pick at least a strength and a weakness, why not? And a bit of influence over growths would've been nice too (Robin did it, I'm pretty sure Corrin too).

They really missed the mark with the avatar gameplay wise, at least for me. And it's a shame because I do really like Byleth in every other aspect of the game, but forcing me into Swords (why is it always swords? so boring) or physical in general is just annoying.

Ideal scenario: complete blank slate, pick 2 strengths and 1 weakness, pick a strong stat and a weak one, and then my dream: pick your personal weapon type (less of a problem in 3H, but man I really liked Malig Knight and nope, you gotta use the OP sword).

And on spell list, instead of making that initial demon/ghost/human a pointless question, make it so it decides which spells you're going to get in reason (idk, ghost gets wind focus, human gets fire focus, demon gets dark, something like that).

Just did Sylvain's level 13 paralogue on the last possible day to do it (22/2). I really ought to have recruited him earlier both to avoid the wasted XP, and because boy that level is a treasure trove of good loot.

Every single unit in my roster is now at least level 21 (since the many new recruits this month start at that level), which also happens to be the level of the story mission I'll be doing tomorrow. Essentially it's an opportunity for a fresh start, where I can evaluate all my units against each other and pick the ones who will be my core going into the timeskip. Ferdinand and Caspar haven't joined yet, so either they ask next month, or they die.

10 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Sometimes I am also a bit confused with what they are giving to the characters. Like Byleth gets White Magic Avo +20 and simply does not make any use of it? If its worthwhile using or not aside they should at least make sense with it. That some abilities are in sync with the Magic/Combart Arts.

He isn't the only one I think that way though.. we will see. Maybe we get something with the DLC's to compensate here. 

Same applies to Sylvains Magic growth, which just makes it a gamble to turn him into a mage. 

I don't know about "does not make any use of it."

White Mag Avo +20 has gotten me out of some sticky situations. Running Byleth in to tank with Nosferatu has been a pretty reliable strategy for me. But I do wish he had a better list to make use of that.

Well, aside my very first GD run, every single run I did was full recruitment. I'm currently replaying GD on hard/non NG+ and it's going well (the only one that is a problem is ferdinand, but I should have enough time to rise heavy armor)

other than that, here is my current planning (quite normal, except a lot of wyvern rider/lord):

Lysithea: Gremory

Lorenz:Dark knight

Petra (or someone else, I'm still unsure about who is going to replace Ignatz): Wyvern lord

Hilda: Wyvern lord

Leonie: Wyvern lord (I considered making her a falcon knight, but then I realised that she had C lance, and switched focus to axes, because W.Lord for life)

Marianne: Holy knight

Raphael : War master

And I'll keep both byleth and Claude in their upgraded classes

I've just started my third New Game+, Hard mode, finally returning to Black Eagles where it all started, only this time for the church route. Using renown I carried over Wrath, Vantage and Death Blow for my Caspar, but everyone else is fresh. Call it my insurance. It's been a long time since I've focused on the Black Eagle students, and I'm excited to see what I can make of them this time. For one, Alert Stance on Lindhardt could lead to some fun and unique play patterns. xD For a caster, in any case. Maybe something whacky like Holy Knight Bernadetta.

I'd forgotten just how impressive Petra is straight out of the gate, the damage Bernie can do with her trait active, and how tanky Ferdinand is even from this early on. I missed these guys.~

Some support conversations have added context, as of me playing through the other routes, which is quite nice.

45 minutes ago, timon said:

Also, since Byleth is an avatar a bit of customisation would have been nice. imo they should've given him default Sword and Authority, I can accept the Faith talent since it makes some sense story wise, but allow me to pick at least a strength and a weakness, why not? And a bit of influence over growths would've been nice too (Robin did it, I'm pretty sure Corrin too).

They really missed the mark with the avatar gameplay wise, at least for me. And it's a shame because I do really like Byleth in every other aspect of the game, but forcing me into Swords (why is it always swords? so boring) or physical in general is just annoying.

Ideal scenario: complete blank slate, pick 2 strengths and 1 weakness, pick a strong stat and a weak one, and then my dream: pick your personal weapon type (less of a problem in 3H, but man I really liked Malig Knight and nope, you gotta use the OP sword).

And on spell list, instead of making that initial demon/ghost/human a pointless question, make it so it decides which spells you're going to get in reason (idk, ghost gets wind focus, human gets fire focus, demon gets dark, something like that).

I agree, that was weird: Corrin and Robin were both customizable in terms of what they were good at, so it’s weird to see Byleth being completely fixed in terms of his/her strengths and weaknesses, especially in a game that seems to be all about freedom of choice given the flexibility the class system offers.

But yeah, giving the main character a budding talent in faith and a unique class only they can use that is proficient in Faith magic, and then giving them a mediocre magic stat and spell list is a pretty baffling decision. Despite being my favorite FE to date, this game frustrates me at times because I feel like a bit more time and polish and forethought could have resulted in a nearly perfect FE game. It’s one of those uncanny valley things, the closer a game gets to perfection, the more glaring the flaws become. 

Ok, took the wrong words for that. Yeah it makes use of it. Just not what one could wish. And compared to Reason Faith has it a little easier with 10 Additional Avo through the Lv5 skill.

In this playthrough I tested out Sylvain with Black Avo.. His spells are just Fire, Bolganone, Ragnarok and Sagittae. And his Magic growth is a bit of a gamble. But its fun having him as a Dark Knight who can dodge a bit. Even if he gets hit sometimes he still has enough bulk.