Talk about your current playthrough here *character join spoilers*

Currently on my 3rd playthrough as Golden Deer, just after the timeskip. I previously completed Edelgard's route and the Blue Lions. 

The Golden Deer got me hooked immediately with its differing perspective, since I found doing Part 1 of the Blue Lions to be somewhat tedious after already playing through as Black Eagles. Even though the Blue Lion perspective was interesting, it really didn't "click" with me until Part 2. Also, I loved Edelgard's route, so topping that may be somewhat difficult.
Back to the Golden Deer, I recruited Felix and Ingrid. I'm testing Felix out as an Assassin as I went Swordmaster with him previously, and Ingrid is being a Swordmaster temporarily until I turn her into a "Sword Falcon Knight." I also recruited Bernadetta because I don't think I could kill her again, and Ferdie was a last-minute addition because I wanted to see what he would say during the timeskip portions. Bernie is being a Bow Pegasus Knight and Ferninand is mostly "around."

I made my Byleth a Wyvern Lord and now I see what all the hype is about. Fliers are amazing to use, and when seeing Claude's Promotion... Man, Claude and his personal Battalion are also amazing! Although, I'm probably gonna have to invest into a Longbow for Claude as I'm missing the extra range from being a Sniper. Also, Pegasus Knight Bernie using a Bow is fun to use too!
Right now I'm debating whether I like Edelgard's or Claude's route better, even though I haven't finished the Golden Deer path yet. Dimitri's was great and was a fun ride, but it wasn't as interesting as the others.

Guys I finally got her there

http://imgur.com/a/8PxHtCS

Now the run truly begins.

Oh Lorenz has better stats in magic while staying in Noble the entire game so far than Caspar has in magic (Or speed) as a warlock.

Edit: I had no idea how funny it would be watching assassin Raphael flip around to attack but it's fantastic.

Edited by Boomhauer007

Up to the chapter 12 and got caught out by the massive gotcha that it only is half a month, with two explorations at best. As a result, I couldn't get the final points of Heavy Armor to get to D+ and this recruit Ferdinand. Rest in Pepperonis Ferdie. I got Caspar at least who was the only other missing student at the start of the month, so I'll end Book 1 just one unit short.

No love for the guy, but it's really weird how all he can talk about in that final month is "woe is me, whatever shall I do now?" but when you try to recruit him, he flips straight back into the prideful noble "ha, it's not so easy to convince me, so powerful and influential" routine. Mood whiplash much?

Doing my “perfect run” right now, with heavily grinding with Hard/Classical, just to see how high I can get my characters up at in hard mode.

Right now I just finished chapter 7(Remire village), with level 40 Byleth Mortal Savant. All characters available are already recruited, all mages are high 20s, rest of the cast are at least 20 even the faculties.

This one is NGP . I am currently playing black eagle path . 

Spoiler

Gonna side with edelgard not the church 

With the exseption of Sylvain everyone else in my team (Raphael , Lythsithia , Lorenz and Marianne ) are not faced 

Spoiler

Spareable in Lythsithias case but idk if il face her now I recruited her before timeskip

In the story and this is exsactly what I plan to do on the other playthoughs after 

I'm finally on the last storyline (BE Church Route). I've actually decided to recruit from other classes this time around. My plan for classes is as follows:

Byleth: Enlightened One

Ferdinand: Great Knight

Linhardt: Bishop

Dorothea: Dancer

Bernadetta: Bow Knight

Caspar: War Master

Petra: Assassin (May change to Wyvern Lord)

Felix: Mortal Savant

Sylvain: Dark Knight

Ingrid: Falcon Knight

Lysithea: Gremory

Marianne: Holy Knight.

As for the additional characters the game throws at you in this route, I don't really know what to do with them. Shamir I plan to be an adjutant for Byleth. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:36 AM, timon said:

Also, since Byleth is an avatar a bit of customisation would have been nice. imo they should've given him default Sword and Authority, I can accept the Faith talent since it makes some sense story wise, but allow me to pick at least a strength and a weakness, why not? And a bit of influence over growths would've been nice too (Robin did it, I'm pretty sure Corrin too).

They really missed the mark with the avatar gameplay wise, at least for me. And it's a shame because I do really like Byleth in every other aspect of the game, but forcing me into Swords (why is it always swords? so boring) or physical in general is just annoying.

Ideal scenario: complete blank slate, pick 2 strengths and 1 weakness, pick a strong stat and a weak one, and then my dream: pick your personal weapon type (less of a problem in 3H, but man I really liked Malig Knight and nope, you gotta use the OP sword).

And on spell list, instead of making that initial demon/ghost/human a pointless question, make it so it decides which spells you're going to get in reason (idk, ghost gets wind focus, human gets fire focus, demon gets dark, something like that).

I really like all of this! Perhaps Byleth could get growth variations based on the selected boon/bane (like, speed for swords, charm for authority, defense for armor, etc.). Would be nice if you could customize the hidden talent as well (although I don't know how to incorporate any of this... organically, so to speak).

I especially like the spell list point! Maybe faith spells could be customized too, between an offense-oriented list (Seraphim, Abraxas), one with relocation magic (Rescue, Warp), and a third with ranged healing (Physic, Fortify), with all lists getting the standard Heal and Nosferatu. 

Yeah that would all be cool. Using Byleth as a dedicated caster this run and he kinda sucks. Like he's not the worst because his defensive growths keep him from dying instantly and enemy res is a joke but that spell list is horrendous.

Although it's funny to me that I'm in ch15 and sublime sword still dunks on mages because his base strength is so ridiculous.

Currently running with Blue Lions, just started it last night. No NG+ features as like I said before, I'm not using them until I clear each of the three main routes (Church route will be using NG+ features because I want to get through it quickly).

Spoiler

My plan is as follows:

Byleth (F): Soldier>Pegasus Knight>Falcon Knight

Dimitri: Soldier/Myrmidon>Lord>Paladin>Personal Classes

Dedue: Fighter>Brigand>Grappler>War Master

Felix: Myrmidon>Mercenary>Thief (for steal)>Swordmaster

Mercedes: Monk>Priest>Bishop>Gremory

Ashe: Fighter>Brigand>Sniper>Bow Knight

Annette: Monk>Mage>Warlock>Mortal Savant

Sylvain: Soldier>Cavalier>Paladin>Dark Knight

Ingrid: Soldier>Pegasus Knight>Falcon Knight

Flayn: Who Cares>Dancer lol

Not sure who else I want to recruit, but I know out-of-house students are a no-go in these first playthroughs of each route.

Pretty standard, I think, except Annette which is just something I want to try out.

Currently in BL academy phase. Things were rather boring until Dimitri started the "kill them all" speech. I have no doubts he could solo the game had Byleth not been able to fly first. That said BL seems to be a rather weak house compared to my previous GD. No wonder why they were the first to die when the war happened. 🙁

Edited by Okigen

Just completed the final pre-skip map. Hilariously, Edelgard got completely wrecked by two green units. She attacked the generic monk who was originally operating our Magic Orb and missed, he took a third of her HP in return, then on his turn hit a 30% gambit on her. An allied archer then would have done 2x17 (she had 35hp so she'd have been left on 1hp) but crit instead. I was super annoyed at this point thinking I had missed out on boss dialogue and XP...

However, the game actually doesn't let green units kill her. Must be a completely hidden mechanic because instead of doing 51 damage, the archer's crit did 34 damage which would normally be impossible, then cancelled their follow-up shot, leaving Eddie with exactly 1hp. Well, that was an ignominious end for her. And a fascinating mechanic.

still on my first GD run, but for my BL I plan to recruit many more student units, mostly to spare their lives, and also for their supports, but whether or not I will use them in battle a lot is ???? 

on my GD run, I've pretty much stuck to the "canon" classes. I really messed up on my Marianne by not making her a Holy Knight though. Too late now in my game ch.19, to boost up her weapon proficiency. I plan to recruit her in my BL run, so maybe i'll make her a Holy Knight then and keep Mercedes, the designated BL healer, on her feet.

Not including Byleth and Claude, my Gremory Lysithea and Dark Knight Lorenz have been my best units. I've seen many people who seemed to have gotten RNG screwed with Lorenz, and he became a weak unit for them, but my Dark Knight Lorenz is a monster. So frustrating all those dark seals you can get, when you can only use them on two classes right? Dark Mage and Dark Knight? Not being able to use dark seals on female mage units was a big mistake. They aren't even worth selling in the shop as they don't sell for much.

Recruited Sylvain, but he's only just  OK, My Leonie is much better than him. Will prolly make Sylvain a Wyvren Rider in BL. Petra is another good Wyvren Rider. I love Petra so much i'll recruit her again on my BL run and will probably make her a Wyvren Rider again lol. It's really hard not to abuse the Wyvren Rider class. You can get quickly across the map, which is especially useful in battle maps where the mission is not to let a unit die. They can also replace thief units by just attaching a key to them, so you can fly across the map to open the chest before killing the boss.

My biggest problem for doing my BL run going to be to focus on mostly using the BL units in battle and no rely so heavily on units from the other 2 houses. In My GD run, Ignatz and Leonie got benched most of the time. 

For the neutral characters, I recruited all of them. Never used Manuela and Hanneman. Catherine I used a lot as a sword unit. Replaced Ignatz with Cyril as a bow unit, but eventually benched him too and now primarily use Shamir as a second bow unit. I recruited Ashe so he didn't have to die lol, but I haven't actually done much with him. Alois isn't bad, but I really don't need him when I have Raphael and Caspar. By the time I got Seteth, my Hilda and Petra had become such powerful Wyvren Riders, I didn't have much use for Seteth, he'd get killed so easily too...

It's a lot of work haha...folks who don't recruit many other units have an easier time, and I know there's some players who do no-recruit runs. Yet when the game gives you this feature that you can go wild with, most players are gonna do it I'd say. At least on a NG+ run it makes things much easier.

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Just completed the final pre-skip map. Hilariously, Edelgard got completely wrecked by two green units. She attacked the generic monk who was originally operating our Magic Orb and missed, he took a third of her HP in return, then on his turn hit a 30% gambit on her. An allied archer then would have done 2x17 (she had 35hp so she'd have been left on 1hp) but crit instead. I was super annoyed at this point thinking I had missed out on boss dialogue and XP...

However, the game actually doesn't let green units kill her. Must be a completely hidden mechanic because instead of doing 51 damage, the archer's crit did 34 damage which would normally be impossible, then cancelled their follow-up shot, leaving Eddie with exactly 1hp. Well, that was an ignominious end for her. And a fascinating mechanic.

It's an Anti-Frustration Feature - seems like they finally learned how irritating it is to get gypped of valuable experience by an NPC. Same thing happened with me in chapter 5, except with Miklan - he missed his attack against Gilbert (despite me having some of my own units in range), then Gilbert hits him on his turn, leaving him at 1 health.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

It's an Anti-Frustration Feature - seems like they finally learned how irritating it is to get gypped of valuable experience by an NPC. Same thing happened with me in chapter 5, except with Miklan - he missed his attack against Gilbert (despite me having some of my own units in range), then Gilbert hits him on his turn, leaving him at 1 health.

Interesting, though I wonder if they dealt with edge cases like the boss then surviving and killing the attacker who might be an critical NPC or at least one who gives you a reward for their survival. I suppose that can be dealt with by Divine Pulse unlike the boss dying. (Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind a QoL change that'd let you rewind even after the map ends)

Wonder if it's exclusive to "enemy commander" type foes too or whether minibosses like the Death Knight on that chapter would be eligible.

So it turns out fortress knight Flayn is unironically kind of good

Not pictured: Bolt Axe+

She has enough strength to she has enough strength to annihilate Mages with normal axes, enough magic to decimate tanks with the bolt axe, and enough split defenses to tank both. Also bolt axe+ has range 3 so she even counters snipers.

If I had put her through Mage or brigand instead of Pegasus Knight she would have been Unstoppable.

I had no interest in playing the game after clearing it the first time. I liked the gameplay a lot, but the game length and monastery tasks made a replay sound like far too much of a grind and I didn't care to see the other stories besides maybe Blue Lions. I did get to chapter 1 of a Black Eagle run to see the NG+ features though. The idea of optimizing a NG+ save file for the future was pretty enticing. I was already experiencing that path's story through listening in on Mangs' LP, so I could skip all the story and support scenes. So, weeks later I am maybe going to finish the playthrough a bit at a time. Tentative goals are:

• Nab death blow on all physical attackers. Especially those students for whom it is out of the way, though I think all the Black Eagles non-mages have an easy time becoming a brigand. They've all got a strength in Axes, except Bernadetta who is weak in it. Maybe I'll recruit some of my old Golden Deer students and do this for them as well.
  • Farm enough renown to polish those statues, then stockpile more for later. I'm on Normal so the grind should be pretty lucrative.

If anybody else knows any other things I should focus on for powering up a NG+ file I'd like to hear it.

Edited by Glennstavos

My first run was Crimson Flower and I pretty much stuck to classes that made sense. I had:

Edelgard: Empress

Hubert: Warlock (ran out of Dark Crests)

Petra: Wyvern Lord (MVP)

Ferdinand: Hero > Holy Knight for the last few chapters

Linhardt: Dark Knight

Caspar: War Master

Bernadetta: Assassin (benched)

Dorothea: Gremory

Sylvain: Paladin

Marianne: Holy Knight 

Felix: Dancer

For my second run I decided to experiment a bit more. I'm almost at the skip and this is what I'm rolling with:

Claude: Barbarossa

Hilda: Bishop or Gremory (Serra memes)

Lorenz: Dark Knight 

Marianne: Falcon Knight (once I gave her a Levin Sword she became indispensable)

Ignatz: Dark Knight (not the best mage, probably the only experiment that has failed me and I really like him so it sucks)

Raphael: War Master

Leonie: Bow Knight

Petra: Assassin

Dorothea: Gremory

Ashe: Wyvern Lord (has been quite good)

Caspar: Dancer

I haven't used the monastery characters much, I made Manuela a Pegasus Knight in BE and pretty much spammed Soulblade, and I want to use Seteth in GD.

For BL I'm thinking of doing an all-mounted run except for Dimitri and my dancer (probably Ignatz).

Edited by Book Bro

Probably a complaint everyone has heard already, but I'm a little disappointed at the world state post-timeskip, at least with the Golden Deer, not least the complete fig-leaf excuse they use for re-using the monastery and the handwaved reunion of not just your own house but literally everyone. Have they been hiding out in the sauna this entire time?

Also sucks that I can't nab a better bedroom for myself now that I'm acting Archbishop.

That said, I'm glad to be moving on, to be able to start properly planning out my final squad composition and master classes, assign final battalions, etc. I might be able to finish this within 150 hours even. 😛

I started my BE route last night. I want to do Crimson Flower first, and my biggest goal is to recruit as many students as possible and to bork the enlightened class to make Byleth a nosferatank holy knight, as she was always meant to be. 

After that, I want to prepare for some lunatic and maybe infernal shenanigans when we get the new difficulty patched in. New Game + giving me all these resources to grind makes me want to aim for the absurdly difficult stuff I normally avoid.