Three House's main theme lyric analysis(Edge of Dawn) *Spoilers!!!

Okay there are going to be heavy spoilers for three houses and especially Edelgard's route.

In case you didn't know, but this song is talking from the perspective of Edelgard. I am going to be talking about her a lot(and Byleth)

Hopefully you guys can help me with things I might have missed or misunderstood.

These are the full lyrics btw

Reach for my hand

So this is referring to you, Byleth directly. 
I’ll soar away
Into the dawn

It seems like she is basically asking for help to reshape Fodlan free of crest. Makes sense since in any of the other routes, she always lose. Only when Byleth on her side, she will be able to achieve her dreams.
Oh I wish I could stay
Here in cherished halls
In peaceful days

This is seems to refer to the Academy and how she wants to stay in this peaceful and happy state; however,...
I fear the edge of dawn
Knowing time betrays

Knowing time betrays seems to refer how Edelgard knows that eventually Garrag Mach isn't going to be the same once the war starts and all those peaceful days will end. 

Not exactly sure what Edge of Dawn means/refers to. I think it might be the war??

Daylight pass through colored glass
In this beloved place
Silver shines, the world dines
A smile on each face

This just seems to be describing how happy and wonderful it is at Garegg Mach. Everybody is happy and there seems like nothing is going wrong.

As joy surrounds, comfort abounds
and I can feel I'm breaking free
For just this moment lost in time.
I am finally me

This seems to refer Edelgard's inner struggle and burden. While she is enjoying her time at Garegg Mach, all heavy burden is lifted up and she can finally enjoy herself. She doesn't have to hold a image and can just enjoy being a high school girl. This is evident by some moments we see such as her fan girling over Byleth, her A support where she imitates Hubert, and more.

Yet still I hide

Behind this mask that I have become

This shows how while her time at Garegg Mach helps be herself, she still has to hold an image as a house leader and eventually empress. It also seems to refer to the secrets that she like her second crest and identity as flame emperor and I have become references the experiments that have been done onto her and eventually made her the way she is.

My blackened heart
Scorched by flames of a force I can't run from

Blackened heart seems to refer to how detached she became after the experiments. In her route, there is a cutscene where she explains her fear of rat and the heavy burden and emotionally grief she has as she saw her siblings one by one die for her sakes. Scorched by flames seems to refer to the crest of flames she bear since they manually inserted that crest into her. They use the word scorched to further show the pain she suffered, almost as if this crest is like a scar. Force I can't run from seems to refer to Those Who Slither in the Dark. They are constantly around her since her childhood and she can't help it. Even after she becomes empress, she still needs them as she lacks the strength.

As I live out
Each peaceful day
Deep in my soul
Oh, I know I can't stay
So I wish I
Could hide away
Hold tight to what I love,
Keep cruel fate at bay

Further emphasizing my point above how she wishes to stay and live out her peaceful life at Garreg Mach; however, she knows that she has a duty to do and eventually her time as a student is going to be over. 

As the rain falls on the path,
I chase your shadow
I don't feel a single drop,

Or the ground below

Again referring to Byleth. Not exactly sure what this is implying, but I think it is talking about how distant and unemotionally detached she feels as she walk her path(being empress and starting a war).  

Then you turn to me and I
Stop before I know
And the lie upon my lips

I let it go

This is talking about how as Byleth and Edelgard gets closer, she starts to revealing the secrets she keeps such as the crest of flames and family. 

Cross my heart

Making vows I know will be betrayed

Talking about how she swore to not let her siblings' death be in vain. She knows her path to start a war and free the world from crest will lead to betrayal, evident by the spies in her army leaking info. 

A sad girl's pleas

Live only for a breath and then they fade

Sad girl's pleas is referring to herself, hoping the cycle of suffering will end. Not sure about the next line.

Don't ever take

Back your kind hand

Talking to Byleth hoping that he/she will stay with her through her journey.  

Lest precious love
Slip away like time's sand

I have no idea lol. Pls help.

Only we will know

All that was lost

Talking to Byleth but not sure what "lost" refers to. Maybe because both have lost their family???

Scars that we can't erase

Her burden and the crest of flames.

Show us life's true cost

These "scars" took everything that was important from her and due to it, she is unable to have a regular happy life.

The blue moonlight
Cuts across our sight
As pure and clear as a ringing bell

Reaching for us in the night

As the wind calms my thoughts,
I have strung on this terrace
I feel at peace,
Carried away by the wind's song

No idea again pls help.

Open the door
And walk away
Never give in
To the call of yesterday

I think it is talking about Edelgard's unwavering determination. Throughout the route, she always had doubts and felt guilt of the blood she spilled. However, despite all this, she still lead everyone to war.

Memories that made
Those days sublime
These ruined halls entomb

Stolen time

Comparing her time back at Garegg Mach and the present where it is all ruin due to the after math of the war. If the war didn't start, everybody would be happily living their lives out as students. But the war took all that away.

I look to you
Like a red rose
Seeking the sun
No matter where it goes

Again talking to Byleth. This is emphasizing how much Edelgard needs Byleth as much as flower needs sun. Whether if Byleth is in a different house, she still needs him. Evident by the cutscene where you kill her, saying how she wished to walk with Byleth.

I long to stay,
Where the light dwells
To guard against the cold
That I know so well

Light refers to Byleth. He is the only one that can help her, evident how she dies and her plan fails in all the other routes. To guard against the cold that I know so well refers to the evil that crest created, the experiments to her and Lysithea, Rhea's sketchy methods in reviving Sothis, and the cruel society it has created such as Mikilan, Sylvain's older brother.

Hopefully this help people gain a new perspective on Edelgard. My first play through I didn't like her much(played GD). But after playing her route and looking more in depth with the lyrics of this song, she definitely became my favorite villain all time and second most favorite character in Three houses(Claude is the best still). I am no English major so I could be wrong and if there is anything I missed that someone explains it, I'll do my best to update this post. Also fire emblem best soundtrack and theme.

The whole Crimson Flower, Azure Moon, Verdant Wind, Silver Snow thing is a reference to the Japanese title of the game, which is a poem representing the four seasons. It's likely the same reference being made in this song.

You can find more explanation on that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/8qoee8/the_japanese_title_for_fire_emblem_three_houses/

(Side note: major props to this guy predicting the existence of a fourth route a whole year in advance, even if he didn't get it exactly right)

Each of the three main characters is represented by that phrase/season, so in the song those phrases likely symbolize the characters.

Edelgard is the red rose (or Crimson Flower), representing spring, idealism, reaching for the sun, a new dawn for Fodlan, etc. But also red is bloodstained.

Dimitri is the blue moonlight (Azure Moon), representing autumn, a light trying to uncover the truth, purity, but also seeking revenge ("Reaching for us in the night")

Claude is a bit harder for me to tell because I haven't played the Golden Deer route yet. But I imagine it's something like: Claude is the wind's call (Verdant Wind), representing summer. He's a calming influence on both Edelgard and Dimitri, often coming between them (even literally in the sense of the seasons). But he's also seductive and changeable and unpredictable.

And then Rhea is the Silver Snow. Although I don't think she's referenced in the song lyrics. But it's probably symbolic of her being both the beginning and the end, just how winter is the both the end of an old year and the beginning of a new one. The cycle repeats itself and Rhea perpetuates this cycle in Fodlan.

EDIT: One more thing, in case you're not convinced the route names are in reference to the House Leaders themselves: The unique combat arts for their final classes also reference these same themes:

Edelgard - Emperor - Flickering Flower (self-explanatory)

Dimitri - High Lord - Paraselene (name for a bright reflection of the moon's light)

Claude - Barbarossa - Wind God (also self-explanatory)

Edited by Chaotix

11 hours ago, Chaotix said:

The whole Crimson Flower, Azure Moon, Verdant Wind, Silver Snow thing is a reference to the Japanese title of the game, which is a poem representing the four seasons. It's likely the same reference being made in this song.

You can find more explanation on that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/8qoee8/the_japanese_title_for_fire_emblem_three_houses/

(Side note: major props to this guy predicting the existence of a fourth route a whole year in advance, even if he didn't get it exactly right)

Each of the three main characters is represented by that phrase/season, so in the song those phrases likely symbolize the characters.

Edelgard is the red rose (or Crimson Flower), representing spring, idealism, reaching for the sun, a new dawn for Fodlan, etc. But also red is bloodstained.

Dimitri is the blue moonlight (Azure Moon), representing autumn, a light trying to uncover the truth, purity, but also seeking revenge ("Reaching for us in the night")

Claude is a bit harder for me to tell because I haven't played the Golden Deer route yet. But I imagine it's something like: Claude is the wind's call (Verdant Wind), representing summer. He's a calming influence on both Edelgard and Dimitri, often coming between them (even literally in the sense of the seasons). But he's also seductive and changeable and unpredictable.

And then Rhea is the Silver Snow. Although I don't think she's referenced in the song lyrics. But it's probably symbolic of her being both the beginning and the end, just how winter is the both the end of an old year and the beginning of a new one. The cycle repeats itself and Rhea perpetuates this cycle in Fodlan.

EDIT: One more thing, in case you're not convinced the route names are in reference to the House Leaders themselves: The unique combat arts for their final classes also reference these same themes:

Dimitri - High Lord - Paraselene (name for a bright reflection of the moon's light)

Ohhhhhhh I like this. Do you mind if I just use your explanation? I'll mention you.

Claude's part is also confusing to me, even as I played GD. I assume "carried away by the winds song" means he tends to get swept up in his ambitions which becomes infectious for Edelgard as well.

I wholly agree that the song is sung from Edelgard's perspective (though some lines could also work for Rhea). I've been thinking for a while that the lines you didn't understand are sung with the fear that Byleth will side against her in the end and that she's telling lies to keep him/ her by her side even though they'll eventually be at odds/ come to blows with each other (e.g. "Making vows I know will be betrayed") while other lines like "Only we will know all that was lost" is a reference to how she opens up to Byleth over the course of their Supports and possibly lets slip more than she even has to Hubert.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:25 AM, leesangstar10 said:

Not exactly sure what Edge of Dawn means/refers to. I think it might be the war??

Kind of. I think "the Edge of Dawn" just means Edelgard/ Rhea is scared of time passing in general: they think "today" is perfect and they don't have to face their lies or fears, but anything could happen tomorrow.

19 hours ago, Chaotix said:

To further support this: Rhea's combat art is called Hoarfrost (yet another self-explanatory name). As for Rhea not being mentioned in this song, I think she's still part of it in that many of the lyrics also make sense from her perspective (such as how she wishes she could be with Byleth forever but is scared that the lies she tells will push them away).

Edited by DefyingFates

3 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

It should be also that video of song is heavily Rhea centric. 

You mean the attract mode video? I agree. I actually really like that the song could be sung by either of the two and still make perfect sense.

Don't bother talking with Tenzen about Edelgard, they're convinced that Rhea's the #1 True Protagonist Of The Game. Anyway, this is a nice lyric analysis! Have you tried comparing it against the translated Japanese? A couple of lines are a lot clearer in that. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, DefyingFates said:

Kind of. I think "the Edge of Dawn" just means Edelgard/ Rhea is scared of time passing in general: they think "today" is perfect and they don't have to face their lies or fears, but anything could happen tomorrow.

The main reason why I think it’s talking about the war is the Edelgard would say “Im going to lead Fodlan to a new dawn.” Before she can completely accomplish her goals, shes gotta win the war. Idk not sure.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, 0 Def Cleric said:

Anyway, this is a nice lyric analysis! Have you tried comparing it against the translated Japanese? A couple of lines are a lot clearer in that

Thank you even though its not finished. I was thinking about comparing it but haven’t gotten the time to seriously analyze the translated yet. 

28 minutes ago, leesangstar10 said:

Thank you even though its not finished. I was thinking about comparing it but haven’t gotten the time to seriously analyze the translated yet. 

I look forward to it, if you do!

On 8/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, SHEmperor said:

Reach for my hand was something Edelgard said in her route. Forgot about this in my run through but saw it on Ghast's playthrough.

Yep this is the reason why I think analyzing the English version is important since there are direct in game quotes that reference the song.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, kremelover said:

"Lest precious love slip away like time's sand"

I think it means that she does not want to lose Byleth, in a manner similar to other loves she has lost.

Could be, I was also thinking it could be Dimitri since as both did really care for each other and time has strained their relationship.