What characters could retroactively be made Brawlers?

Jotari

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I saw no real indication of this (though it IS just text), but if this is the case, okay then...

it's Glenstavos. He tends to do sarcastic/quip posts a lot. The internet is logical, it does not abide by the rules of inflection and tone as regular conversation.

Velouria, Caineghis and Leanne are colourless physical melee units. Still, it would be better to have more choice there. Maybe some of the mercenaries can be made into Brawlers, there are enough infantry swords already.

first and foremost:

What would be the point of adding Gauntlets to Heroes?
What seperates them or makes them unique from the other Melee weapons?
Do they add something new to the gameplay?

Those question would need to be answered first before even considering adding Gauntlets. If they are just regular melee weapons that behave the same as axe sword and lances then you might just not add them at all.

Beast units added a new gameplay element in the form of transformations that effected various performance parts of them. Their weapons are solely allready unique because of this.

Dragonstones are unique in the sense that they can be "any" color (inheritance wise)and target RES

So what would the role of guantlets be?
If they behave like regular axe sword lance there is no point in adding them

I can only see gauntlets be colorless physical melee weapons. Thats the only thing missing in heroes, everything else would make not much sense at all. But even that is bland and doesnt add much.

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, I didn't say dragons were physical. I said they're melee, which means they attack close up. They're not ranged. I always forget the wolfskin exist because I dislike them. And there's only two, and that's a tiny number. Gauntlets need to be colorless to expand the melee colorless options.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Keaton is red anyway. Not colorless. We only have one colorless physical melee unit total.

You are entirely right. Not sure why my mind read melee as physical.

3 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I can only see gauntlets be colorless physical melee weapons. Thats the only thing missing in heroes, everything else would make not much sense at all. But even that is bland and doesnt add much.

Well that, plus the brave effect all of them have.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, silverserpent said:

it's Glenstavos. He tends to do sarcastic/quip posts a lot. The internet is logical, it does not abide by the rules of inflection and tone as regular conversation.

Ah, I see. And that is true.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You are entirely right. Not sure why my mind read melee as physical.

Well that, plus the brave effect all of them have.

a brave effect is very delicate to balance and can quickly be overpowered. If their weapon might is to low then you might delete them because they wont put a dent on to Dragon and Armor defenses, if its too high then you got an entire imbalanced melee class that is colorless wrecks everything.

If we would implement gauntlets into the game i would make the following suggestion, just to make them unique:
Gauntles:
Are colorless, physical weapons
Have a brave effect that works like Swordhardt/Keaton, with max 11 might but no penalty in Speed.
BUT the class has no A-slot but instead 2 B-slots. Why? because they are brawlers and are very very very close up combatants with an excellent move repertoire.

I think this would seperate them enough from the other melees. They cant run Distant Counter (since no A-slot) but they would allow for interesting builds with double B-slots and would seperate them from all the other melee classes.
Of course this means IS needs to start releasing Tier 4 B-Slots

I dont know its just a quick Idea, not fleshed out or anything.

35 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Velouria, Caineghis and Leanne are colourless physical melee units. Still, it would be better to have more choice there. Maybe some of the mercenaries can be made into Brawlers, there are enough infantry swords already.

colorless melee units are very delicate to balance out.

Leanne doesnt count because she is a dancer and suffers from low BST Velouria is a Cavalry unit and shares the same fate.

Now Caineghis is thick, like really thick and very good unit, partially because of his weapon and his BST. He can nullyfie his armor weakness and still retain Distant Counter. There arent many Beast slaying weapons out there yet.

we alos have 3 other colorless melee fighters:
Fallen Corrin, Fallen Tiki and Duma. Have you ever faced any of those 2 without an effectiv against Dragon/Armor unit in your Team? They are oppressiv. Fallen Tiki is still a threat even if you have a Dragon effectiv weapon in your roster.
I am not saying they are overpowered or unbeatable, but they are one step away from being very very oppressiv units.

Just to show how delicate it can be to bring high BST units into the colorless pool.

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

Fallen Corrin, Fallen Tiki and Duma. Have you ever faced any of those 2 without an effectiv against Dragon/Armor unit in your Team? They are oppressiv. Fallen Tiki is still a threat even if you have a Dragon effectiv weapon in your roster.

I often see Duma and he is a total pushover. He is super slow so he cannot catch me, and I can safely weaken him with Firesweep before nuking him with Laevatein. If Duma is not built with bulk in mind or has low merges, then I can use Laevatein to outright one shot him.

25 minutes ago, Hilda said:

a brave effect is very delicate to balance and can quickly be overpowered. If their weapon might is to low then you might delete them because they wont put a dent on to Dragon and Armor defenses, if its too high then you got an entire imbalanced melee class that is colorless wrecks everything.

If we would implement gauntlets into the game i would make the following suggestion, just to make them unique:
Gauntles:
Are colorless, physical weapons
Have a brave effect that works like Swordhardt/Keaton, with max 11 might but no penalty in Speed.
BUT the class has no A-slot but instead 2 B-slots. Why? because they are brawlers and are very very very close up combatants with an excellent move repertoire.

I think this would seperate them enough from the other melees. They cant run Distant Counter (since no A-slot) but they would allow for interesting builds with double B-slots and would seperate them from all the other melee classes.
Of course this means IS needs to start releasing Tier 4 B-Slots

I dont know its just a quick Idea, not fleshed out or anything.

That'd be a very interesting and unique idea to run. I think the B slot is probably the most contentious slot available (there's probably better A skills overall, but they're generally harder to access). There's plenty of rather decent B skills that are just not used because better alternatives are available (like say Renewal or Guard). It would make armoured brawlers rather scary. What could a holy abomination running Vengeful and Bold fighter simultaneously accomplish, especially with a full brave effect? Knocking out the A skill would also remove access to Stance and Blow skills which are normally how a Brave unit tries to maximize effectiveness. It'd fore a whole new train of thought on the game. Kind of open up other possibilities too. What about a gambit weapon type that has two C slots instead of an A or B slot?

43 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Lulls are basically "A skills" on the B slot. Lull Spd/Def and Lull Spd/Res are pretty competitive compared to Fury. Fury has Atk/Spd+1, Def/Res+4, and 8 recoil damage for pros. However, Lulls shut down buffs, so it could potentially have Atk/Spd+5 over Fury if the enemy got 6/6/6/6 bonus buffs.

4 hours ago, XRay said:

Lulls are basically "A skills" on the B slot. Lull Spd/Def and Lull Spd/Res are pretty competitive compared to Fury. Fury has Atk/Spd+1, Def/Res+4, and 8 recoil damage for pros. However, Lulls shut down buffs, so it could potentially have Atk/Spd+5 over Fury if the enemy got 6/6/6/6 bonus buffs.

Fury 4 is a horrible A Slot skill to compare stuff to. Its the weakest of the Tier 4 A-Slot skills.

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

Fury 4 is a horrible A Slot skill to compare stuff to. Its the weakest of the Tier 4 A-Slot skills.

It is the weakest, but still usable. Fury's recoil damage is also really good. Fury also allows the unit to do minor tanking during the unit's first round of combat.

13 hours ago, XRay said:

It is the weakest, but still usable. Fury's recoil damage is also really good. Fury also allows the unit to do minor tanking during the unit's first round of combat.

not saying it has no uses or that its not worth it, but its not the one you should pick when you comparing the strength of 2 Bslot skills with a Tier 4 A-Slot skill, because it is the weakiest and offers the least.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:26 PM, Glennstavos said:

Hey hi, I'm here from 2018 with a suggestion. Just make them manaketes? That's how I see Laguz getting added.

LOL! I love this comment.

Anyway, as long as they make Caspar a brawler when they finally add him (and give him nice Meka art as a bonus), I will definitely be splurging! I would have no interest in pulling for a Gauntlet weapon user otherwise, unless I genuinely like the character. I cannot fathom pre-TH characters who could potentially become a brawler either, but if they go out on a whim and do somebody like Felix as well (be it an alt or not), I would be a MOST happy summoner!

3 hours ago, SockPuppet said:

LOL! I love this comment.

Anyway, as long as they make Caspar a brawler when they finally add him (and give him nice Meka art as a bonus), I will definitely be splurging! I would have no interest in pulling for a Gauntlet weapon user otherwise, unless I genuinely like the character. I cannot fathom pre-TH characters who could potentially become a brawler either, but if they go out on a whim and do somebody like Felix as well (be it an alt or not), I would be a MOST happy summoner!

Well if they do add Brawlers then they're going to have to add multiple characters so the weapon pool has an actual somewhat large number. Having it on one character alone would be weird. Three Houses is only one game so far though. It has quite a few brawlers unto itself, as anyone could potentially be one (though a lot obviously wouldn't be), but not really enough to carry the weapon type on it's own. Hence why I speculate what pre 3 Houses characters could be retooled.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well if they do add Brawlers then they're going to have to add multiple characters so the weapon pool has an actual somewhat large number. Having it on one character alone would be weird. Three Houses is only one game so far though. It has quite a few brawlers unto itself, as anyone could potentially be one (though a lot obviously wouldn't be), but not really enough to carry the weapon type on it's own. Hence why I speculate what pre 3 Houses characters could be retooled.

While anyone can use gauntlets, they will probably stick to the class the characters were mostly designed to specialize in. No Lorenz, Ferdinand or Felix with gauntlets. Castor and Raphael seems to be the only real brawlers in FEH to me. I suppose Dedue could be an armored brawler. Maybe Alois could be one. Anyone else I feel would be better represented in another class. 

I really don't think gauntlets will make it into Heroes and it isn't as if characters like Castor depend on them being introduced to be included in the game. He could just as well be given an axe.

1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

While anyone can use gauntlets, they will probably stick to the class the characters were mostly designed to specialize in. No Lorenz, Ferdinand or Felix with gauntlets. Castor and Raphael seems to be the only real brawlers in FEH to me. I suppose Dedue could be an armored brawler. Maybe Alois could be one. Anyone else I feel would be better represented in another class. 

I really don't think gauntlets will make it into Heroes and it isn't as if characters like Castor depend on them being introduced to be included in the game. He could just as well be given an axe.

The Enlightened One also specializes in Gauntlets so a Brawler Blyeth is popular too.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

The Enlightened One also specializes in Gauntlets so a Brawler Blyeth is popular too.

It also uses magic, which makes more sense for an enlightened one.

Plus they’ll be likely to give it the Sword of Creation’s second form anyway.

I guess there are two Byleth to play with though so who knows.

Catherine also uses gauntlets but we won’t see her without the Thunderbrand.

Edited by Vince777

17 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

It also uses magic, which makes more sense for an enlightened one.

Plus they’ll be likely to give it the Sword of Creation’s second form anyway.

I guess there are two Byleth to play with though so who knows.

Catherine also uses gauntlets but we won’t see her without the Thunderbrand.

We have four Robins (exclusing Grima) and seven Corrins.  Plenty of precedent to see both a tome, Gauntlet and Sublime Sword of the Creator.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:57 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Only the Tigers, Lions, Hawks, and Dragons do; Cats, Wolves, and Ravens kick.

Of the Laguz, I think there is a line where Tibarn says if the war ended peacefully now, he'd have to punch out every one of his men. So he'd be the best fit. And Reyson, ideally with Fury or Atk/Spd Push 10, a maxed Spd-Res statline.

Renault is a good choice:

Bartre: I don’t need your prayers! Don’t heal me–just punch me!
Renault: Punch you? Me?
Bartre: Yeah! Warriors speak with their fists!
Renault: I don’t really understand, but will my punching you really make you feel better?
Bartre: As hard as you can!
Renault: Well, all right then. Like this?
Bartre: Gwooh!
Bartre: You hit me in the eye… Cra…zy…priest…
Renault: Bartre? Hey, get up. …He passed out. …So I have to punch him, and then I have to heal him? Elimine, grant me the grace to endure this man…

How did such a buff man like Bartre get knocked out so easily? 

A large majority of axe users would fit the bill. Laguz before they transform lol. Well, I really hope they don't add brawling into FEH. I'd be shocked if they did tbh.

Edited by SSbardock84