I can't seem to invite Sylvain to tea for some reason?

Yeah, every time I try to invite Sylvain to tea, it says he "can't make it."

Is it because I picked Golden Deer and recruited him over from the Blue Lions? Can I only have tea with the Golden Deer guys? Though whatever the case, this doesn't even make sense for his character lol. He doesn't want to have tea with FEMALE Byleth? Come on game, this is Sylvain here. XD

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Parrhesia said:

The classic FEH mechanic of tea invitations. Moved.

Sorry, I thought this was the Three Houses board. I must've clicked the wrong one by mistake.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, every time I try to invite Sylvain to tea, it says he "can't make it."

Is it because I picked Golden Deer and recruited him over from the Blue Lions? Can I only have tea with the Golden Deer guys? Though whatever the case, this doesn't even make sense for his character lol. He doesn't want to have tea with FEMALE Byleth? Come on game, this is Sylvain here. XD

It's harder to get characters that didn't originally begin in your house to agree to tea. I had this problem with Lysithea on my first Eagles playthrough. It's not like you can't invite him, or that he'll never say yes. You're just unlucky. 

1 minute ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

It's harder to get characters that didn't originally begin in your house to agree to tea. I had this problem with Lysithea on my first Eagles playthrough. It's not like you can't invite him, or that he'll never say yes. You're just unlucky. 

Oh. Well dang...

Wtf I'm on my third playthrough and no one has ever said no to tea.

Although I've never invited them with activity points since that feels like a waste. I suppose these are the tea invitations that can fail? Do you lose your activity point doing so?

Edited by Vince777

39 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Yeah sometimes people will refuse. You can abuse save states for that actually, I had to do it once with Claude.

Oh, I see! Though I finally did get Sylvain to have tea this time. XD

10 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Wtf I'm on my third playthrough and no one has ever said no to tea.

Although I've never invited them with activity points since that feels like a waste. I suppose these are the tea invitations that can fail? Do you lose your activity point doing so?

Can you invite them without using activity points? I did the freebies on their birthdays, but I never invited them during exploration, because I didn't want to use up activity points.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Can you invite them without using activity points? I did the freebies on their birthdays, but I never invited them during exploration, because I didn't want to use up activity points.

no, you need activity points. 
I only really have tea for people for support points (Ie: for Claude - I had tea with him coz i was gonna marry him. Dimitri never wants to have tea LOL he's always busy) i've never had issue with Sylvain though. (I'm always female Byleth so he's always hot for teacher. so i was surprised that he can actually refuse. He and Ferdinand areliterally the only ones who do want to have tea with me on a daily basis. (my days in GMM are always 1: tournament, 1 choir practice, train myself in bows/lances/flying/authority (once i get my team assembled), maybe 2-3 feedings for A support spamming for units, then i have a freebie for tea. 

Playing GD as M!Byleth, recruited Sylvain. There was one time he rejected my invitation to tea time. Post time skip I think? Have yet to try again. Haven’t had any other male characters recruited from other houses ever reject tea time invitations though...🤔

5 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah I believe it never happened to me simply because my only tea activity is related to birthdays and I’m assuming those cannot fail as they never have to me.

Building support for Byleth is so easy in this game that it’s always felt like a waste to use my activity points for that.

Edited by Vince777

I believe its random whether people can make it to tea time or not. 

But with Felix I just don't get the option to invite him to tea. I'm not sure why. I know he can be recruited into the Golden Deer but the game doesn't want me to have tea time with him in order to achieve this. 

I just save before I invite for tea. If the person isn't able to make it, I just reload until they accept (and I can confirm that they can accept thanks to save scumming unlike certifications and such).

Also, this probably should have been best asked in the general questions thread over just making a topic, for future reference.

6 minutes ago, kremelover said:

I read somewhere you need a C support or higher, in order to invite someone for tea.

Even with the support, you can sometimes choose the "Invite to Tea" option, and get a "they're busy" message.

I didn't bother with tea too much, since choir practice/dining hall/gift-giving more than made up for it.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Even with the support, you can sometimes choose the "Invite to Tea" option, and get a "they're busy" message.

I didn't bother with tea too much, since choir practice/dining hall/gift-giving more than made up for it.

Me too, I am trying to complete the support log!

3 hours ago, kremelover said:

I read somewhere you need a C support or higher, in order to invite someone for tea.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Yeah, this, because I'd already gotten the C support when I made this thread and Sylvain had turned the invitation down three times after that. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I think it's random.  Lorenz turned me down, I reloaded my save right next to him, and he accepted.  Just save before you ask.