FE4 - Tips for the Last Holy War?

pepsi

Haven't started it yet but I'm pretty hyped 😅 This is my first run in the game, and I'm eager to see how it ends, and I'm not sure how difficult this level is supposed to be. There's a lot of things I don't know, so I was wondering what are the general things to look out for this chapter? I've got everyone except Tinny, Iucharba (but he's a perma-castle guard anyways), Patty, and Coirpre promoted so far (miiiight be able to stretch out a promote for the first two if I can RNG right with arena). Most of them I managed to get promoted from Chapter 10 alone, so they're fresh promotes!

One of the things I'm wondering is if I could sell Seliph's crit-broken Silver Sword (since he has a full 50 use Tyrfing now) for someone else (Oifey?) to buy, and still retain the crit-broken status? Is that a good idea? This is just one question, I'm hoping for any sort of advice for the level 😄

Yeah, you should give the high crit silver sword to someone else, since there's a bunch of mages here, so Seliph will probably want Tyrfing equipped a lot of the time. 
If you want to see a neat battle quote, you should probably promote Tinny, since her survivability is not great as a mage; if you don't care about that sort of thing that's fine.

The hardest parts of this chapter are before capturing the first and after capturing the third to last castle (Edda and Friege respectively.) You're going to be facing a lot of mages and status staves, in general.

Before Edda, you'll be facing a wall of tough mages and status staff users, while being assaulted by dark mages from clifftops, who use both. You'll want to get rid of the dark mages with your fliers as fast as you can.

The three Pegasus sisters you will face after you capture Friege are quite possibly more of a threat than the actual boss of their brigade, and can triangle attack. Get one down as fast as possible, preferably with your Forseti user or Shanan. 

Before you capture Friege, you want to have Altena near the ocean at the bottom right of the map, to make sure you can get Areone out of the way by turning him into an ally. 

I don't know how spoilered about the chapter you are, but a certain re-recruitable unit has a tendency to suicide at melee range when coming at you, so do make sure that you have a bunch of saves made at the point they show up. 

That's all the tips I have, I think? 

To add a few things

After Edda, Dozel's forces will attack both of your castles, so be careful not to overconcentrate your competent forces prior to seizing.

After Dozel the game will warn you about an ambush that will strike as you assault Friege, but if you are careful about positioning you can cause the ambush to spawn before aggroing the other army, allowing you to deal with before the other, instead of facing both at once.

Also do be warned the sleep staff users near Friege aren't destroyed when you seize it as they aren't part of the same army.

2 hours ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

The three Pegasus sisters you will face after you capture Friege are quite possibly more of a threat than the actual boss of their brigade, and can triangle attack. Get one down as fast as possible, preferably with your Forseti user or Shanan.  

Have you actually had them pull off a triangle attack against you? Their use of Canto always kept them from setting up the triangle attack against me, although their speed tier and skill combination do make them terrifying.

8 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Have you actually had them pull off a triangle attack against you? Their use of Canto always kept them from setting up the triangle attack against me, although their speed tier and skill combination do make them terrifying.

Yeah, it isn't common, but if they do, it's basically a guaranteed death for one of your units. Best to stay on the safe side.