Haha. She's a recluse. Wait, that's kind of messed up.

Jotari

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like her, and it's not that I'm dismissing her background, it's just that her fear is played up too much and it's the same thing the entire game, she doesn't grow, it isn't used effectively, and there are characters with similar backgrounds that showcase the issue without being annoying, like Marianne. She feels like an Awakening character and that isn't a good thing.

37 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I don't like her, and it's not that I'm dismissing her background, it's just that her fear is played up too much and it's the same thing the entire game, she doesn't grow, it isn't used effectively, and there are characters with similar backgrounds that showcase the issue without being annoying, like Marianne. She feels like an Awakening character and that isn't a good thing.

“Feels like an awakening character” I resent that. Ugh can we please stop with the whole idea that awakening characters are nothing but one-dimensional gimmicks cause that is wholly untrue.

And besides that. Doesn’t grow? Are you sure we’re talking about the same character here? Cause from what I’ve seen Bernadetta does indeed grow a decent deal over the course of her supports or at least she tries to and it’s heartwarming to see at least to me anyway 

40 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I heavily disagree on her not growing. She may not 100% get over her reclusive nature but she gets over a lot of her anxiety by Part 2 and pretty much all of her A rank supports have her getting along normally with people.

It's one thing to not be a fan of her, but there is no denying that she does grow through the game.

11 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I heavily disagree on her not growing. She may not 100% get over her reclusive nature but she gets over a lot of her anxiety by Part 2 and pretty much all of her A rank supports have her getting along normally with people.

It's one thing to not be a fan of her, but there is no denying that she does grow through the game.

Agreed. She definitely grows. I like Bernadetta as a character but I still feel like some of her supports play it up a little too much: that is where the "Comedy/cute" thing comes in. I think her traumas are relatable to many. Overall I think she's great. I personally don't like how some of it is handled, though.

I wished she would have that character development not to fall back in old habits. I supported her with (the probably "worst"  person of the Black Eagles) Hubert. In this conversation he could gain the actual sympathy instead of Bernadetta. Her support with Dorothea is definitive her best one because she is the only she can entrust in the beginning. 

Overall I do not mind her trait, but I really wished that she had more development. It was way better done with Marianne. 

30 minutes ago, Lysithea said:

I wished she would have that character development not to fall back in old habits. I supported her with (the probably "worst"  person of the Black Eagles) Hubert. In this conversation he could gain the actual sympathy instead of Bernadetta. Her support with Dorothea is definitive her best one because she is the only she can entrust in the beginning. 

Overall I do not mind her trait, but I really wished that she had more development. It was way better done with Marianne. 

That's the fault of the support system in general, not Bernadetta specifically. Although I think she does have one big moment of character development (that sadly is wasted by not happening in every route). In CF during the timeskip, fighting alongside her old friends that strengthened her resolve, just a bit. In Part 1, she is ALWAYS in her room, minus when Jeralt has just died, to put some flowers on his grave. Post-timeskip in CF, she REGULARLY can be found outside of her room. She's finally started to get used to, even close to, her classmates. I was actually pissed when I played GD and saw her hiding in her room the whole time again.

I honestly don't know what the heck they were trying to do with Bern.

At first I was pretty "sarcastic haha, the nervous anime wreck that everyone meme" and thought nothing of her or her fanbase. Then I saw what was behind, and it was a revelations, then, I wondered what the hell; "is it supposed to be serious or funny ? I don't even know." One moment it's funny, one moment it's not. Both now and after. It's total confusion.
In some endings, she revert back to her old habit... which is something that I'd do as well I guess, but still, I dunno ?...

It doesn't help that I can relate in some part to Bern. Then, there is Marriane, who act more... huh, realistic, despite having less reasons to act the ways she does but sometimes, it's a subdued type of fun, and more well, what she is supposed to be.

All in all, good old Bernadetta is confusing.