Voting Gauntlet: Brave Rivalries! (August 29th)

Diovani Bressan

Voting Gauntlet: Brave Rivalries!  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What army will you support?

• Micaiah: Queen of Dawn
    • Ike: Vanguard Legend
    • Alm: Imperial Ascent
    • Berkut: Purgatorial Prince
    • Eliwood: Marquess Pherae
    • Hector: General of Ostia
    • Camilla: Light of Nohr
    • Hinoka: Blue Sky Warrior

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/2019 at 02:55 AM

59 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I prefer to use a fun unit than use a character that I like.

This is unusual logic to me. Wouldn't a character you like be fun by default because you like that character? I'm just wondering. I've never found a character I like to not be fun to use.

I prefer to use characters I like. I only use ones I don't like if I find they can be useful.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

So? That doesn't answer my question. Why wouldn't Tellius fans think it'd be cool for both Ikes to win? Let Ike get his remaining glory, Micaiah doesn't need any right now.

In fact, if any Tellius character needs any right now, it's not either of them, it's Elincia imo. She's constantly completely overshadowed by the two mainly because she isn't an official lord, and yet she still is PoR's lead female and the second lead female of RD. She's yet to be in a gauntlet too and some people don't even think she has a chance to be legendary when she's a perfect candidate if characters like Ryoma, Azura, Tiki, and now Julia can be one. Really deserves a LOT more love than she gets...

Wow Ana, if you really cannot grasp why people would rather support a different character from their favorite game rather than the protagonist again and again everytime... I really don't know what to say. It would be one thing if you just had a different opinion, but the fact that you also CAN NOT understand the other argument being made here is... weird. Truly bizarre. Like, if Elincia was the other option here, (since you consider her the third lord, which I can agree with) and she was getting all the votes, would you still get mad because it is more important for Ike to win a second time rather than have a lesser lord from his game win for the first time?

I will try again to explain to you how I see it and this time I will be as clear as possible.

First let me dissect your statement:

"Why wouldn't Tellius fans think it'd be cool for both Ikes to win? Let Ike get his remaining glory, Micaiah doesn't need any right now."

The problem here is the "remaining glory" part.

You admit that Ike already got some glory, but that isn't enough. Giving a different character the glory they deserve isn't as important as giving Ike some more glory until the quota of glory that you arbitrarly decided is the bare minimum for one as glorious as him is met. And the reason for that is that he is the most popular. So he deserves more than the others, nevermind that he is already privileged from the get go because he even has two designs that are very different unlike someone like Marth, he should get even more. Nevermind that he is so privileged that he was in multiple voting gauntlets, the fact he did not won more than once is terrible and unjust.

The other problem is the "Micaiah doesn't need any right now."

Says who? You? Are you the fair and unbiased arbiter who knows when it's the time for each character to get their time to shine? I sincerely doubt it.

If it was up to you Ike would be the first in line for everything. He already was first in line for the Legendary thing, but with you in charge it would be much worse.

Ike needs to get EVERYTHING he could possibly want, first and foremost. After that is done the others can get some of the things they want, but not a moment sooner.

I don't pretend to be better than you on that front. I would be even more biased if I was in charge.

But come on Ana. Sometimes you will hear me say that Camilla deserves the world and she isn't enough of a focus in the game. But at least I say that partly joking and can see where the other side is coming front. To me it seems you 100% believe in your Ike shilling without a second thought. Like it's a proven fact that Ike is better and is being mistreated, when in reality he is always treated atleast fairly. You are the type to admit that you are biased, but after that you will say that it's irrelevant because even an unbiased person would put Ike first in line. "I am biased, but I am lucky since I happen to be biased for the better option". Yikes!

I really wanted to be brief, but I wrote a book. One last word of advice. Don't bring up the fact that Ike is popular so often, because you may activate the "underdog effect". People might avoid him in fear of being too mainstream and they may want to root for the small guy instead, which I'm sure is what happens every voting gauntlet with mixed results.

Or they may develop a certain snarky attitude after hearing about how great Ike is one too many times.

No wonder you dislike Micaiah. If she was real, she would be one of the snarky ones.

Ah yes, General Ike, most popular "lord" of the Fire Emblem games and father of Ana's children.

(I apologize. I had to. The joke wrote itself)

24 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Like, if Elincia was the other option here, (since you consider her the third lord, which I can agree with) and she was getting all the votes, would you still get mad because it is more important for Ike to win a second time rather than have a lesser lord from his game win for the first time?

If Elincia was an option, I'd be conflicted. Support her because I love her about as much as I love Ike and she deserves more love, or support Ike because I want RD Ike to get a win to go with PoR Ike's win? Though I'd rather have this situation, because at least then, I'd be happy with either outcome.

@Anacybele You'd be a lot happier just letting people vote for who they want and not worrying so much.  I often want older characters and particularly FE4 if possible to win, but if they aren't the most popular (and even here cause of multipliers most popular loses a lot) then that's fine.  What are you going to do?   There is nothing you can do, and bashing a character is hardly going to make its supporters leave it is going to have the opposite effect. 

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

This is unusual logic to me. Wouldn't a character you like be fun by default because you like that character? I'm just wondering. I've never found a character I like to not be fun to use.

I prefer to use characters I like. I only use ones I don't like if I find they can be useful.

Just because I like a character does not make them fun nor enjoyable to use. Anna, Lucina, Camilla, Edelgard, and most melee waifus are very much unfun to play for me. I do not care about ASS!Takumi nor Reinhardt as much as my waifus, but they are a thousand times more fun than my favorite waifus. Not all players like to prioritize using their favorite characters. Players like me prefer to prioritize and use units based on play style and/or performance.

I do not care about the looks of my units. I do not judge units based on their appearance, backstory, name, or any superficial trait. It is what is inside—stats, skills, playstyle—that counts.

26 minutes ago, XRay said:

Just because I like a character does not make them fun nor enjoyable to use. Anna, Lucina, Camilla, Edelgard, and most melee waifus are very much unfun to play for me. I do not care about ASS!Takumi nor Reinhardt as much as my waifus, but they are a thousand times more fun than my favorite waifus. Not all players like to prioritize using their favorite characters. Players like me prefer to prioritize and use units based on play style and/or performance.

I do not care about the looks of my units. I do not judge units based on their appearance, backstory, name, or any superficial trait. It is what is inside—stats, skills, playstyle—that counts.

Eh, well, if it works for you then.

5 hours ago, Lewyn said:

@Anacybele You'd be a lot happier just letting people vote for who they want and not worrying so much.  I often want older characters and particularly FE4 if possible to win, but if they aren't the most popular (and even here cause of multipliers most popular loses a lot) then that's fine.  What are you going to do?   There is nothing you can do, and bashing a character is hardly going to make its supporters leave it is going to have the opposite effect.

Yeah, this is a fair point. And it would be wrong of me to not be glad for Micaiah fans that they can support her. I don't remember bashing Micaiah anywhere in this thread, but doing so isn't right, I'm aware.

10 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

I really wanted to be brief, but I wrote a book. One last word of advice. Don't bring up the fact that Ike is popular so often, because you may activate the "underdog effect". People might avoid him in fear of being too mainstream and they may want to root for the small guy instead, which I'm sure is what happens every voting gauntlet with mixed results.

Or they may develop a certain snarky attitude after hearing about how great Ike is one too many times.

No wonder you dislike Micaiah. If she was real, she would be one of the snarky ones.

Ah yes, General Ike, most popular "lord" of the Fire Emblem games and father of Ana's children.

(I apologize. I had to. The joke wrote itself)

Wait, do you have a book? What is about?

Also yeah, Micaiah snarky

Ultimately, the sheer quantity of players combined with the multipliers means you have only marginally more impact on the final results of a VG round than a shirtless 250 lbs painted 45 year-old sports fan doing chest bumps at home between bites of nachos with their similarly aged and built friend to help their favored team.

So in other words, all you're doing by picking a side in a VG is expressing your character preference or feather goals. You're not actually helping anyone win or lose.

Urgh, I still can't make up my mind. Okay, Team RD Ike, Team Fallen Berkut, convince me to your side!

17 hours ago, Troykv said:

Wait, do you have a book? What is about?

Also yeah, Micaiah snarky

I'm sorry, English isn't my mother tongue.

I was actually trying to use a figure of speech. I wanted to be brief, but ended up writing a whole essay on the matter at hand, which means I wasn't brief at all. That's what I was trying to say.

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Urgh, I still can't make up my mind. Okay, Team RD Ike, Team Fallen Berkut, convince me to your side!

Ike's probably going to have a hard time against Micaiah without all the help he can get right now. xP

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Ike's probably going to have a hard time against Micaiah without all the help he can get right now. xP

Cram. That alone did it for me. XD Okay, thanks. Joining Team Ike! Of course, I could never actually not support him.

3 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Cram. That alone did it for me. XD Okay, thanks. Joining Team Ike! Of course, I could never actually not support him.

Awesome. ^^ And me neither, he's the best and coolest. ❤️

I suppose you can consider me Team Ike as well, though I can't guarantee I'll do much more than the bare minimum (that minimum being getting the four orbs each round). My lead, as always, will be Haar.

As for Micaiah, I don't think I'd join her even if I did have her since I'm a filthy traitor who used his freebie on Camilla despite voting Micaiah in CYL3 as she clearly doesn't need any more help lest of all, mine.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Awesome. ^^ And me neither, he's the best and coolest. ❤️

Personally, I find his most admirable trait to be his humility...among many others. He's also honest, steadfast, earnest, mature, kindhearted... He's just plain the best. 💖 

Well, PoR Ike anyway. I'm not going to go into RD's writing, but...urgh. I could. But no, I don't want to make anyone upset or anything by giving not-positive opinions.

3 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Personally, I find his most admirable trait to be his humility...among many others. He's also honest, steadfast, earnest, mature, kindhearted... He's just plain the best. 💖 

Well, PoR Ike anyway. I'm not going to go into RD's writing, but...urgh. I could. But no, I don't want to make anyone upset or anything by giving not-positive opinions.

RD Ike's personality is no different though. He just didn't get any more development, unfortunately. But I do agree PoR had better writing overall. RD gave Ike a better design though. He stands out more with his muscular look and he got cooler armor and stuff. I also think he's hot. ❤️

Edited by Anacybele

RD!Ike is barely a character. RD!Ike is a version of Ike who has already had all of his character development and is the "final" iteration of what he could be as a character. He has no major character weaknesses that he needs to overcome to develop because that all happened in PoR.

He is still the simple and straightforward guy that PoR!Ike was, he is just now wiser and stronger with established relations to powerful allies. He isn't as angry about the Black Knight killing Greil and is no longer blinded by a desire for revenge. He's come to terms with what happened and no longer feels hatred towards the Black Knight; what he wants is the thrill of a fight and a worthy challenger and someone who could measure up to what Greil was at his peak.

Similarly to how Marth is hailed as a legend in Awakening, his weaknesses overlooked and his strengths embellished as the people of the future see him as something more than the man he started out as, Ike is already a legend in RD. He's a living legend. That's why he's not as interesting as PoR!Ike and really shouldn't have been the co-lord of RD but instead an endgame "Athos" figure.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:32 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ultimately, the sheer quantity of players combined with the multipliers means you have only marginally more impact on the final results of a VG round than a shirtless 250 lbs painted 45 year-old sports fan doing chest bumps at home between bites of nachos with their similarly aged and built friend to help their favored team.

So in other words, all you're doing by picking a side in a VG is expressing your character preference or feather goals. You're not actually helping anyone win or lose.

You could say the same about elections. 

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Similarly to how Marth is hailed as a legend in Awakening, his weaknesses overlooked and his strengths embellished as the people of the future see him as something more than the man he started out as, Ike is already a legend in RD. He's a living legend. That's why he's not as interesting as PoR!Ike and really shouldn't have been the co-lord of RD but instead an endgame "Athos" figure.

^^^^^ This so much. RD would have been such a better game if Ike was given less spotlight and he only became playable in Part 4, or even better the Endgame.

That way the only two lords would have been Micaiah and Elincia, the characters who actually had to grow from their experiences and become good leaders, a trait that lords always have. And if they really needed to have three lord characters, Sanaki could have been the third one. They could have made so that she escapes from the senate, she seeks the help of Ike and becomes involved with the Laguz-Beorc conflict. A lord who escaped from her own country and tries to reclaim it just like Marth.

Or they could have made Skrimir the lord of Part 3, and that would have been super unique. Ike could still have some spotlight and appear as an advisor for Sanaki/Skrimir. Kind of like how Nasir was with us for a good portion of the game in PoR but only became playable at the end.

Honestly I like RD and his story, and Part 3 was really interesting despite having a main lord who had nothing to say anymore. That's the problem. RD managed to be interesting despite Ike being arguably the most important lord, rather than being interesting thanks to his contributions.

Say what you want about Micaiah's and Elincia's terrible mistakes. They are flawed characters, they are arguably written badly, but are stil written better than this version of Ike that may as well be a piece of wood. Having the protagonist change thanks to his journey is one of the things that are ESSENTIAL for an interesting story, which means that RD!Ike actively fails at being a protagonist something that no other lord in the series does.

Here's an hot take that will make some people mad. Chrom, Robin, Alfonse and Corrin (even in Revelation) are all better protagonists than RD!Ike.