Who else thinks Sylvain is awesome? (minor spoilers)

8 hours ago, Book Bro said:

He does and no it's not pandering, not sure why it's your first thought. A lot of the characters in this game have endings with same sex partners that range from friendly to romantic, even some that can't S rank same sex Byleth. It's actually refreshing to see.

The supports with Felix at first kind of seem like it could just be a one way crush that Felix has but then naturally develop their relationship and Sylvain is actually the first one to make a move that could be seen as romantic, but in a much more heartfelt way than he ever does with a woman. And the ending text makes it pretty clear that they felt very strongly about each other. Seeing how his whole thing is that he was made heir to his house over his older brother because of his crest, I thought it was interesting that he has an ending where he doesnt marry or have kids but instead has a pretty intense lifelong thing with his childhood best friend. It makes the womanizing thing look like an act he took to the extreme because of the pressure of being the only legitimate heir to his family and having to pass on his crest and name, but with Felix he finally chooses to completely break free of that obligation and just lives how he wants. That's not to say his endings with women are lesser or anything, like I said I like his supports with Dorothea, but having a romantic ending with a man just adds an interesting layer to his character.

Because lately it feels like some writers/developers are doing certain things in their creations just to pander to certain crowds. For example, making Green Lantern gay all of a sudden after all this time. Even IS is guilty of it in Fates and Awakening at least, imo. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes, I do like having more endings between people that aren't romantic. Not every relationship has to end in romance. I'm just going to view Felix and Sylvain as good friends, since I'm not into homosexual pairings in fiction. Other people want to ship it, by all means, but yeah.

6 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Every support that reaches A rank is a paired ending, there are numerous girl-girl and male-male paired endings, its only paired endings with Byleth that are guranteed to end up as explicitly romantic barring Alois and Gustave which stand as the only S ranks not to be romantic, apparently. This is another classic Fire Emblem, before every pairing needed a baby to pop out.

Ah, I see. That's neat.

6 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

It's even mentioned in one of his supports (BL route) that he basically 'hates women' in the way he views and treats them. He's not afraid to get personal with one, he doesn't view women with wanting to get personal with him. A lot of his supports talk about the fact he thinks women are using him, and so in turn he uses them back. He knows they don't care about him. It's not him having a 'flight reaction', it's him being cynical and mocking the world around him.

Furthermore, why would he act that way with guys? His entire issue (plus basically anyone with a crest) is the fact they have to reproduceCan Sylvain reproduce with men? No. So why would he treat them the same way as he treats women? He treats women that way because he thinks they all see him as a way to make "crest babies" as he says in one of his supports. A guy would never be interested in that, so there would be no need for Sylvain to shamelessly flirt or treat them the way he does women, because he can always be himself around guys.

I think his paired ending with Felix can easily be romantic or platonic depending on how you read it, but it does make sense that the notorious skirt-chaser only doing it out of mockery of a society he hates, would end up wanting to settle down with someone who he can be himself with. If he never learned how to actually act around women, it makes sense to reason that he would eventually want someone he could be himself around, which would be other guys. That so happens to be Felix, a childhood friend. But it's not very logical to suggest he would treat guys and girls the same considering the wealth of backstory and characterization they gave him. 

That's a way to look at it, but I still feel like he does enjoy flirting as daisy jane says. In fact, her whole post about sums up why I love him and feel he has a good heart deep down, it just had to be brought out.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That's a way to look at it, but I still feel like he does enjoy flirting as daisy jane says. In fact, her whole post about sums up why I love him and feel he has a good heart deep down, it just had to be brought out.

mhm. just like most of the students. 
Honestly. - this is an entire cast that i just love and want to protect - OR i just get where they are coming from. 

IN regards to the felix/Sylvain thing. (I tried SOOOOO HARD to get them to "marry" in Dimitri's Timeline - simply because i just wanted to see it) - but i never once thought they'd be lovers or anything - not so much as I feel that Dorothea is (in my estimation) if you pair her up with a female at the end, - is 100 percent a romantic-ish pairing. (except for Manuela- but even then, i always think, int-er-es-ting....)

i think it's really two BFFS, who just decided to be bros together, protecting the people.
(as I am marrying Felix in this run, and want to Marry Bernie and felix together based on their A/A+  - I might have to wait until my second Dimitri Timeline to get the Bromance cooking).

1 minute ago, daisy jane said:

mhm. just like most of the students. 
Honestly. - this is an entire cast that i just love and want to protect - OR i just get where they are coming from. 

IN regards to the felix/Sylvain thing. (I tried SOOOOO HARD to get them to "marry" in Dimitri's Timeline - simply because i just wanted to see it) - but i never once thought they'd be lovers or anything - not so much as I feel that Dorothea is (in my estimation) if you pair her up with a female at the end, - is 100 percent a romantic-ish pairing. (except for Manuela- but even then, i always think, int-er-es-ting....)

i think it's really two BFFS, who just decided to be bros together, protecting the people.
(as I am marrying Felix in this run, and want to Marry Bernie and felix together based on their A/A+  - I might have to wait until my second Dimitri Timeline to get the Bromance cooking).

Yeah, good point. Like, at first I wasn't too cool with Hilda because she felt like another Serra to me, both personality AND kind of appearance wise too. I didn't care much for Serra. But when I learned why she hates putting in a lot of work and effort, it makes sense. In fact, I realized it's kind of how I feel too. I want to put in a lot of work and effort, I generally really do, but the fear of failure and high expectations is there. Just as with Hilda. She's afraid of being called a failure even after putting in a lot of effort. I basically am as well. I like her now because she's relatable to me that way. I don't think I'd call her my favorite female, that's probably Ingrid, but yeah.

And Raphael is an example. I feel bad for him about how he lost his parents and I also envy him because of how he handles it. He can still enjoy life and smile a lot. I wish I could too after I'd lost my brother and a beloved pet just months apart.

Ignatz ties into how I feel about Raphael too, because he repeatedly blames himself and his family for what happened to Raphael's parents, and Raphael had to give him a good talking to in their A support to get him to stop it and be friends again.

There's Marianne's crest and her fears about it, and I definitely don't blame her at all. I feel sorry for her too, it's no wonder she didn't want to talk about her past much.

I've only done Golden Deer so far, so I can only talk about them at present, but I think you're right, basically everybody just needs a little growth and love. And it seems like they do get it in the end too.

I find most of his support bland, but the dialogue in his paralogue is rather heartfelt. His support with Felix surprised me. Paired them hard because I want a best bros ending but mine who knows Felix can be cute.

Edited by Okigen

Well, sadly I failed to get the S support with Sylvain because I must've somehow not gotten the ring that Byleth gives to his/her chosen partner... I was so mad at myself and still kind of am. But I'm keeping my chin up and doing a Blue Lions run next so I can have even more Sylvain. lol I also made sure to do a New Game+ and take advantage of its perks.

I changed my avy to his timeskip self too, since he's my newest favorite! I'd needed to change it for some time anyway, Ike had been there for ages, since Smash Ultimate's announcement. I just wasn't sure what to change it to until now.

I'll post here again when I do finally manage to obtain that S!

Yo fill me in as a other Sylvain fan. God he's like a much more cynical Sain, who's also one of my favorites. (but I tend to like the playboy with depth archetype a bunch, see Zelos from ToS and Roy Mustang from FMA) Others have said why they like his arc, but I'll chime in and mention that ironically a large reason why I liked him is that a lot of his dialouge, Esp in part 1 monastery wanderings, didn't actually focus too much on the whole horn dog thing. Can't recall specific lines but I remeber a bunch of stuff he said actually being fairly insightful looks into thr political/social situation happening around Gareg March. I also don't really mind the whole "slew of B supports" thing since I feel wihtout the romance endgame, they show Sylvain actually being genuinely kind and supportive to his classmates. Like with Bernedetta, as someone who's kinda paranoid about my own hobbies/talents, I thought the way he was legitimately interested and provided a legit review of her work to be sweet. And even if you think he was just fliriting with her, he did it in a way that accounted for her own personality quirks (sending the letter) and focused on something that was personally important to her as opposed to just a generic comment about how pretty she was or whatever that could be spouted at any rando on the street. 

I really really dislike Sylvain, as much as he redeems himself in later supports, it doesn't change the fact that he is STILL a troublemaking skirt-chaser

I do like his japanese voice actor since he's Saitama from One Punch Man

Edited by charcoalswift

2 hours ago, Zyriex said:

Yo fill me in as a other Sylvain fan. God he's like a much more cynical Sain, who's also one of my favorites. (but I tend to like the playboy with depth archetype a bunch, see Zelos from ToS and Roy Mustang from FMA) Others have said why they like his arc, but I'll chime in and mention that ironically a large reason why I liked him is that a lot of his dialouge, Esp in part 1 monastery wanderings, didn't actually focus too much on the whole horn dog thing. Can't recall specific lines but I remeber a bunch of stuff he said actually being fairly insightful looks into thr political/social situation happening around Gareg March. I also don't really mind the whole "slew of B supports" thing since I feel wihtout the romance endgame, they show Sylvain actually being genuinely kind and supportive to his classmates. Like with Bernedetta, as someone who's kinda paranoid about my own hobbies/talents, I thought the way he was legitimately interested and provided a legit review of her work to be sweet. And even if you think he was just fliriting with her, he did it in a way that accounted for her own personality quirks (sending the letter) and focused on something that was personally important to her as opposed to just a generic comment about how pretty she was or whatever that could be spouted at any rando on the street. 

Oh yes, I think Sylvain's actually wiser than he appears at first! I thought he gave Ashe and Dedue some pretty great advice/insight on their situations. ...Even if the way he showed Ashe was...yeah. lol

Right idea, Sylvain, but you took it a bit far there lmao. But man, he's still adorable even when flirting. Also, that wink gets me too! I just like a cute guy winking!

Yes, I've started my Blue Lions playthrough, just to clarify. 🙂

Edited by Anacybele

So, it has been notified before, but if you haven't already, you should develop Mercedes X Sylvain. This support was so good that I finally decided marrying Sylvain or Mercedes.

WHat I like is how different Sylvain and Lorentz ended up being despite being both womanizers. They are basically total opposite, Lorentz searching a girl because he embraces the Noble iideology perfectly, Sylvain rejecting it completely.

23 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

So, it has been notified before, but if you haven't already, you should develop Mercedes X Sylvain. This support was so good that I finally decided marrying Sylvain or Mercedes.

WHat I like is how different Sylvain and Lorentz ended up being despite being both womanizers. They are basically total opposite, Lorentz searching a girl because he embraces the Noble iideology perfectly, Sylvain rejecting it completely.

Sorry, but if you read the thread, you'd see that I already intend to do Sylvain x Byleth. So I can't do that pairing. Sylvain's mine. ;3

Oh, but yes, Sylvain and Lorenz's support is hilarious, even if short. lol It's basically a womanizing rivalry battle! XD I want to make a fanart based off this one too!

Edited by Anacybele

I like him. He’s definitely the best womanizer in the series due to him having an actual motive and depth behind his actions, even if he comes off as a jerk in some of his C-Supports. But then again a lot of characters are similar in that regard. 

Although reading his supports with Felix really makes me want to pair them in my current run. I got Felix late in the run, so I guess I’ll have to glue them together in the battlefield and always invite them together for lunch. It’s hard to believe neither can S-rank M!Byleth. 

24 minutes ago, Jave said:

I like him. He’s definitely the best womanizer in the series due to him having an actual motive and depth behind his actions, even if he comes off as a jerk in some of his C-Supports. But then again a lot of characters are similar in that regard. 

Although reading his supports with Felix really makes me want to pair them in my current run. I got Felix late in the run, so I guess I’ll have to glue them together in the battlefield and always invite them together for lunch. It’s hard to believe neither can S-rank M!Byleth. 

Very slight spoilers for their ending

Spoiler

It's really nowhere near romantic. Nor is their support IIRC?

That said, would it really make sense for Sylvain to have S rank with Bylad when he's THE womanizer?

7 minutes ago, timon said:

Very slight spoilers for their ending

Reveal hidden contents

It's really nowhere near romantic. Nor is their support IIRC?

That said, would it really make sense for Sylvain to have S rank with Bylad when he's THE womanizer?

Why not? It’s not impossible for a bisexual person to be a womanizer. The ending is up to interpretation, and that’s just how I see it. 

36 minutes ago, Jave said:

Why not? It’s not impossible for a bisexual person to be a womanizer. The ending is up to interpretation, and that’s just how I see it. 

Yeah, but the thing is, wouldn't a bi person be trying to flirt with both genders, not just one? Sylvain only flirts with women and shows no indication of having the same attraction towards guys.

Sure, one reason he treats women the way he does is that he believes they just want to get in his pants for his crest and all. But he still shows legit attraction and a liking or flirting and on some occasions, recalls anecdotes of when he did actually fall in love with a girl. None of these mention him having a thing for a guy.

It's not impossible, as you say, but I just feel it's pretty unlikely in Sylvain's case.

Edited by Anacybele

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but the thing is, wouldn't a bi person be trying to flirt with both genders, not just one? Sylvain only flirts with women and shows no indication of having the same attraction towards guys.

Sure, one reason he treats women the way he does is that he believes they just want to get in his pants for his crest and all. But he still shows legit attraction and a liking or flirting and on some occasions, recalls anecdotes of when he did actually fall in love with a girl. None of these mention him having a thing for a guy.

It's not impossible, as you say, but I just feel it's pretty unlikely in Sylvain's case.

For the record, based on my experience with bisexual people, most of them are attracted to both genders but are more “leaned” towards one of them. I interpret Sylvain as such, as well as many characters in the game since the same-gender pairings do seem to be open enough for interpretation. 

6 minutes ago, Jave said:

For the record, based on my experience with bisexual people, most of them are attracted to both genders but are more “leaned” towards one of them. I interpret Sylvain as such, as well as many characters in the game since the same-gender pairings do seem to be open enough for interpretation. 

Eh, your choice then. I interpret it differently. Besides, irl, being bisexual is not nearly as common as being straight, so it'd be odd for a whole bunch of characters to be bi.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Eh, your choice then. I interpret it differently. Besides, irl, being bisexual is not nearly as common as being straight, so it'd be odd for a whole bunch of characters to be bi.

It’s only odd if you assume “Heterosexual by default”. I don’t do that. 

2 minutes ago, Jave said:

It’s only odd if you assume “Heterosexual by default”. I don’t do that. 

I assume that because it's the most common thing. Why's that bad?

On 8/26/2019 at 10:05 AM, Anacybele said:

He comes off as a douche for the cheating thing, yeah. But it isn't like he doesn't notice that. He knows it's wrong and he even legit says he hates seeing women cry. He doesn't enjoy acting this way. If he did, THAT would really make him a douche. I believe after what I learned in the A support, his "cheating" is a defense mechanism and the only one he knows to use because he's afraid to get serious. When he tried breaking up with a girl, she still felt hurt. No matter what he does, he's hurting someone, all because of his own inner conflict and fear. And another thing, he mentioned that his parents would likely throw him into an arranged marriage that he'll be miserable in. Another reason he's afraid of commitment, because his parents could have a different partner in mind for him when he was picking one himself and that could get really messy.

In short, Sylvain has a complicated issue where he's interested in girls and all, but at the same time, is afraid of commitment to one due to his messy society. It's resulted in this cheating defense mechanism that he uses to cope and is the only way he ever knew how to cope. The A support has Sylvain learn that there are better ways. He literally thanks Byleth for showing him that there are better ways to live and do things. "Thank you, from the bottom of my heart." His words exactly.

Also, at least he learns at all. He also would definitely be a douche if he didn't bother to change that cheating thing.

Oh, I forgot another thing I love about Sylvain! His eyes! I noticed at one point that they're golden and that's one of my favorite eye colors. I can't quit looking into his eyes a lot now, and honestly, his expression in general at the tea table is just so amazing. He's got a really great smile and everything! ^^

Which all points out in his supports with Mercedes and Dorethea as he is actually an honest man. Lysithea points out all of his mistakes in their B support which he probably already knew. He actually shows to not really be afraid to those who move him in a way to not distaste anything back to him. As truly they haven't after he wanted to help them back in return.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:06 PM, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I'm so glad I did too! I did because I knew he was a skirt-chaser and I always seem to like them to some degree, and sometimes love them (as with Sain). Little did I know he'd become my favorite womanizer!

Just gonna put this here.

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_pwr5wpOsmX1vh2t3vo5_400.png

ECUXj1xU4AE7sH_.jpg

Spoilered because it's time-skip Sylvain. I. Just. Love. That. Smile. ❤️ Man, how does this face of his alone not get girls drawn to him, rather than some crest?

(these aren't my shots, btw, I found these online. I so should have taken one myself though!)

Only that Dimitri is sexier. <33

No muscles at a younger age makes him more smitten as an Camus archtype.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, Byrdsfly said:

I was especially hoping he'd have more of a response to her plans with the crest system. Definitely wishful thinking, but I hope they add in some Sylvain/Edelgard supports to that effect. Yeah, some would probably be blocked till you go the BE route, but there are supports with Lysithea so... why not Sylvain?

On 8/28/2019 at 7:13 PM, Ciato said:

With that being said, I think Edelgard/Sylvain would have been an excellent support because they align so much on core values.

NEVER.
No commoner like him is EVER going to have an audience with her. Her social status itself makes him a joke. Plus Hubert. -.-

On 8/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, Anacybele said:

Yes, I do like having more endings between people that aren't romantic. Not every relationship has to end in romance. I'm just going to view Felix and Sylvain as good friends, since I'm not into homosexual pairings in fiction. Other people want to ship it, by all means, but yeah.

Sadly though in his C Support he actually be's frank with him telling him about that why he is such a problem.

23 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Well, sadly I failed to get the S support with Sylvain because I must've somehow not gotten the ring that Byleth gives to his/her chosen partner... I was so mad at myself and still kind of am. But I'm keeping my chin up and doing a Blue Lions run next so I can have even more Sylvain. lol I also made sure to do a New Game+ and take advantage of its perks.

I changed my avy to his timeskip self too, since he's my newest favorite! I'd needed to change it for some time anyway, Ike had been there for ages, since Smash Ultimate's announcement. I just wasn't sure what to change it to until now.

I'll post here again when I do finally manage to obtain that S!

Jeralt is supposed to give you the ring somewhat around Ch7. Somewhat you get it at endgame otherwise. Anyone can clarify this?! 😕

5 minutes ago, PuffPuff said:

No commoner like him is EVER going to have an audience with her.

Uh, Sylvain is a noble. He's the heir of House Gautier and his beginning class is Noble too...

Also, you find Dimitri more attractive, okay. But I still find Sylvain moreso. Differing opinions.

Edited by Anacybele

Sylvain isn't a commoner unless you're using it in a derogatory way...and in both cases I'd say you completely misunderstood Edelgard's character if you think she of all people discriminates based on nobility.

Edited by Eltoshen

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, Sylvain is a noble. He's the heir of House Gautier and his beginning class is Noble too...

Also, you find Dimitri more attractive, okay. But I still find Sylvain moreso. Differing opinions.

Yes.
He has a more attractive face...but Dimitri has better brawn and the steed makes him further dreamy. 😄

15 minutes ago, Eltoshen said:

Sylvain isn't a commoner unless you're using it in a derogatory way...and in both cases I'd say you completely misunderstood Edelgard's character if you think she of all people discriminates based on nobility.

Well...she did say that it even didn't matter whom she'd have the throne as long as the said person she feels can or be responsible for. (Only to those who are as ambitious as her will she ever approve.)

Edited by PuffPuff

6 minutes ago, PuffPuff said:

He has a more attractive face...but Dimitri has better brawn and the steed makes him further dreamy. 😄

Sylvain's "canon" classes are Paladin and Great Knight though, given that those are what he uses as an enemy unit... And both of those are horseback classes. Dimitri's exclusive class(es) always make him infantry.

He might not have a lot of brawn, but at least Sylvain's tall. I like a tall guy. Dimitri is tall too, but yeah.

Re: bisexuality, it's complicated and this isn't the place to discuss the nuances of it.

Instead, I will discuss my pairing plans.  He went with Dorothea the first time around, and it's my favorite ending so far.  In my current run, he's supporting Ingrid.  After that, it's Mercedes.  Not sure what I'll do the fourth time around.

You know, having given it some thought, I can very well understand why some would feel that Sylvain is an asshole, because by all accounts, he IS. 

Sure, he has his reasons, and I am certain there are women that have wanted him just for his Crest or title. But that's not saying ALL women were like that. How many women were serious about him? How many women did he play with and ultimately leave heartbroken cause he thought they were using him?

Hell, Leonie clearly has a crush on him by the B support at least, and was jealous that she wasn't flirted with in their C support, that she would actually care for him as him, rather than his Crest.