Who else thinks Sylvain is awesome? (minor spoilers)

23 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Lowkey everyone in the Blue Lions house needs a hug for one reason or another. 

Lowkey everyone in the game needs a hug for one reason or another.

(and sadly, this also applies to IRL. . .kinda wish it didn't, because it means there's a lot of unhappy people out there)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have to agree, a lot of characters in this game honestly could use hugs, not just Sylvain. I just brought up Sylvain before because he was one of the first characters I actually got to know really well and I ended up totally loving him. XD

The reason I went for him in the first place though, was him being a womanizer and I tend to like them, as well as the fact that he's free for female Byleth to recruit. "Pretty sure I'm gonna like him, I better recruit him. Especially since it's so easy with female Byleth!" lol I also thought he was handsome and still do. XD Though that is more of a bonus.

5 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

If we will create a topic to each character that "needs a hug", we will have, like... dozen of them.

Perhaps I should change this topic's title then. Maybe to "Sylvain Appreciation Thread" or "Who else thinks Sylvain is great?" or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Perhaps I should change this topic's title then. Maybe to "Sylvain Appreciation Thread" or "Who else thinks Sylvain is great?" or something like that.

Hm... These are great ideas! You totally should do that!

2 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Hm... These are great ideas! You totally should do that!

Alrighty, will do! There's a "Lysithea Appreciation Thread" though, so I'm not going to just copy that title, I'll do something different.

This is an odd subject for me...I thought he was a creep at first but grew to feel sorry for his warped mentality and trust issues, but the fact that he doesn't act like he distrusts women pushed him back into dislike/ "he's just a misogynist" territory for me. You'd think someone who can't trust women would keep them at arms' length, not hit on anything with a skirt and a pulse. I like him otherwise though: it's a tragedy that he's actually really skilled but doesn't bother showing it because he doesn't think anyone cares...but I don't like that a good chunk of that is his own fault (and maybe it's part of a vicious cycle, but at some point you have to wonder why Sylvain doesn't just do something about it - it's not like anyone's emotionally manipulating him or anything).

17 hours ago, eclipse said:

Lowkey everyone in the game needs a hug for one reason or another.

Yeah, except Lorenz. It really makes everyone stand out and feel real in a way some other games completely failed to. I love it!

17 hours ago, eclipse said:

(and sadly, this also applies to IRL. . .kinda wish it didn't, because it means there's a lot of unhappy people out there)

Too true. And I wish so as well 😞

Edited by DefyingFates

35 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

why Sylvain doesn't just do something about it - it's not like anyone's emotionally manipulating him or anything

He seems to feel that he can't do much about it, actually, due to his status and position. He feels like no matter what, he's trapped in a life he can't escape from.

Also, he doesn't hate all women. He only hates those that he thinks would just use him.

Edited by Anacybele

I like all playable characters, especially the Blue Lions ones. But my favorite character in game is, and will always be, Sylvain. If I didn't regularly change character at every battle he'll always be in my team. His backstory is sad. Born with a brother that hates him, a father that cares only for his Crest and women who only want fortune from him, but still with a cheerful attitude and a big-brother personality, I just can't dislike Sylvain. I always refuse to give back the Lance of Ruin because of him. I just adore him. Forever in my heart.

Sylvain honestly surprised me to be honest with how interesting he was. People who just dismiss him for being a two-timing cheater kinda miss the point that 70% of the cast are admonishing him nearly every step of the way. The people who complain about him don't end up seeing the real Sylvain, a broken boy who was only loved by suitors and his family for his Crest and was utterly hated by his brother for just being born a certain way.

That's gonna fuck anyone up.

And they also miss the part where Sylvain...doesn't really have many A-Ranks with girls. There's a few yeah, like Dorothea and Ingrid (my one and only for Sylvain tbh), but it also helps highlight that it takes a special kind of girl that can see past the BS front Sylvain puts up to see the real him. People like Mercedes, Ingrid and Byleth (F) are perfect matches for him in this regard.

In short, yeah friendship ended with Inigo. Sylvain is my friend now.

Barring the fact Sylvain died at Gronder because of a serious tactical error on my part. 

That error being fighting Lysithea.

50 minutes ago, Osrio12 said:

Sylvain honestly surprised me to be honest with how interesting he was. People who just dismiss him for being a two-timing cheater kinda miss the point that 70% of the cast are admonishing him nearly every step of the way. The people who complain about him don't end up seeing the real Sylvain, a broken boy who was only loved by suitors and his family for his Crest and was utterly hated by his brother for just being born a certain way.

That's gonna fuck anyone up.

And they also miss the part where Sylvain...doesn't really have many A-Ranks with girls. There's a few yeah, like Dorothea and Ingrid (my one and only for Sylvain tbh), but it also helps highlight that it takes a special kind of girl that can see past the BS front Sylvain puts up to see the real him. People like Mercedes, Ingrid and Byleth (F) are perfect matches for him in this regard.

Yeah, this 100%! Sums up why I adore him so much.

And that is a good way to look at his small number of A supports. Thing is, I feel like some other females he only has B supports with see the real Sylvain too. Annette is a good example, imo. She admires that he's naturally talented, good at stuff without trying. Sylvain also says to her "if I'd met you a long time ago, I might have turned out differently. Better, in fact." There's chemistry here. Stinks that this one couldn't go to A.

Flayn is another example too imo. In the C, she goes on about all the stuff she's heard from Seteth about Sylvain, but when she got to know him a bit more in the B support, they're cool and she accepts getting a meal with him. Flayn's kind of a kid, so I don't know if it'd be...ah, appropriate for Sylvain to have a paired ending with her. But I don't think it would've been a bad idea for him to be able to A rank Annette.

But yeah, I still see your point about his number of B supports. Always gonna have him marry Byleth anyway. 😛

Edited by Anacybele

6 hours ago, Osrio12 said:

Barring the fact Sylvain died at Gronder because of a serious tactical error on my part. 

That error being fighting Lysithea.

You mean, fighting Lysithea fairly.  Because Ruined Sky will ruin her day, especially if it crits.

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

You mean, fighting Lysithea fairly.  Because Ruined Sky will ruin her day, especially if it crits.

Look I really underestimated how badass the GD were when I did Blue Lions, I also didn't know how much of a tiny tactical nuke Lys was.

But it's okay, Ingrid then proceeded to crit both Raph AND Lys as soon as Sylvain died.

Recruited Sylvain on my current (Golden Deer) route, and I'm now torn between shipping him off or Claude with femme Byleth,

Spoiler

...(both have S-supports, and I'm waiting on that last week where you'd decide who to pair off with after the final battle).

That the last name was brought up and how it's pronounced is good, but didn't the game botch the way the first name was pronounced, too? I've always imagined it'd be Syl-/von/ (my French is really rusty, but I remember a wrestler from Montreal named Sylvain Grenier who pronounces his name like I did).

Edited by Karimlan

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Oh yeah. Since Lance of Ruin stayed with the church if you didn't recruit him before the tower chapter. That's a cool detail

On 8/25/2019 at 1:41 PM, Anacybele said:

Yeah, going to just B is dumb, I agree. But Sylvain isn't the only one with that problem. Others have supports that only go up to B too.

Sylvain is the easiest character to recruit, especially early on, so it would make sense that he can support most students right off the bat... if you’re female Byleth and not in the BL you practically get another unit by the first auxiliary battle

I joined the Blue Lions on my first playthrough specifically to marry this boy. (Then Dimitri happened, but that's another story) I was flip-flopping between the two of them through most of the academy phase. 

Also I'm like 90% sure that Miklan was jealous of his little bro being prettier. The crest thing was just a cover-up.

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, timon said:

Very slight spoilers for their ending

Reveal hidden contents

It's really nowhere near romantic. Nor is their support IIRC?

That said, would it really make sense for Sylvain to have S rank with Bylad when he's THE womanizer?

I would like to see what advice he would give indigo lol

On 9/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, B.Leu said:

Well this is awkward. I confused it with another ending... Probably one Ferdinand's.
Apologies. I'm sorry.

Eh, you think Hubert is over the top about his loyaty, Dedue and Catherine says hello. 😛
Kind of funny how it's "the big guy" who is subtle, and the "sneaky guy" who's not.

No body got nothing on Freddie the man made a naked poster of chrome lol