QOL Changes You’d Like To See In Patches

Topic, list quality of life changes you’d like to see patched in here. Obviously, the more minor the change and the more consistent the change is with the current gameplay/design, the more likely it is to happen. Balance changes and class and character additions probably warrant separate discussion. 

My two big ones are:

- If you fail a certification, please don’t have it expend the seal. You can already reload the save to get the seal back (the test results won’t change), so all this does is save you a load screen when you fail. 

- Strike the fail chance on teatime invitations. Again, you can save/reload for this, so it doesn’t really affect anything other than saving players resets. I also don’t really see the need for the mechanic, as the invitation costs activity points. No need to frustrate a conscious decision to spend time to build supports, especially when gift spam already exists. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, ApocaLips said:

- If you fail a certification, please don’t have it expend the seal. You can already reload the save to get the seal back (the test results won’t change), so all this does is save you a load screen when you fail. 

Yes!! At the very least make this a thing for Master Seals, since you can't get more without going into the Monastery.

I have two suggestions of my own:

1. I'd like the ability to decide whether you want to complete a map or not once you get the objective. Sometimes you accidentally crit a boss while you're still trying to get a treasure chest or waiting to rewind because someone died earlier that turn. Simply making "Manual Map Clear" a toggle option in a menu would work wonders.
  2. The ability to reload saves from the menu! Maybe I just haven't seen one, but the only way I know how is to close the game entirely, which gets pretty tiring when you're trying to pass a certification or whatever.

Edited by DefyingFates

7 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Yes!! At the very least make this a thing for Master Seals, since you can't get more without going into the Monastery.

I have two suggestions of my own:

1. I'd like the ability to decide whether you want to complete a map or not once you get the objective. Sometimes you accidentally crit a boss while you're still trying to get a treasure chest or waiting to rewind because someone died earlier that turn. Simply making "Manual Map Clear" a toggle option in a menu would work wonders. 
  2. The ability to reload saves from the menu! Maybe I just haven't seen one, but the only way I know how is to close the game entirely, which gets pretty tiring when you're trying to pass a certification or whatever. 

For 2.: YOu can do a soft reset by pushing +, -, L and R at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Hauke said:

For 2.: YOu can do a soft reset by pushing +, -, L and R at the same time.

...I could have sworn I tried that...

But clearly not, thank you so much!! I feel pretty daft now, but this'll make future runs (of this and any other game) so much smoother. Thanks again!

22 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Yes, that’s another big one I’d like to see. A short window when the win condition is satisfied to mash DP would be fine. 

Do something about the small text, please.

Show mini character portraits in the map, so you know which dots correspond to which character. It's not like the game doesn't already do that, but requires you to navigate through the menu to find out which dot is who.

Re-add the Awakening/Fates option where it sorts your inventory automatically and picks up the more adequate items for an unit to use (I dislike when there's a chapter that requires more units than I normally use, or when one of my units isn't available for the map for some reason, and then I have to suit someone else's inventory for the battle).

You should also be able to access the eastern/western merchants' wares through the Marketplace option.

If you give a gift to someone and they hate/like/love it, it'd be nice if the game reminded you who reacted to that gift and on which way. Same for lost items.

I think being able to automatize routines would be nice as well (planting, fishing, cooking, dining, training, participating in the arena), but I'm not sure how it'd be implemented, and it's more like a new mechanic instead of a QOL one.

Better item management. 

You don't revert to your unit's original position when you press B while targeting. Allow me to MOOOOVEEE

Edited by redlight

- Make characters in the Monastery have different colored icons if their dialogue has an opportunity to earn support points

-When we earn a new ability or combat art, give us the opportunity to equip it right there so we don't have to just remember next time we're at base.

-This is a bigger picture change, but it bothers me that you can earn more activity points for the Explore and Battle options each Sunday, but not for seminars? So you can receive training from 10 different people in one day, but only one seminar. I've attended and held several of those in college, they're not that long when it's just one speaker. Make it so you can go to up to three. And lock out any students who have already been to one on that day.

-Maybe this is already in the game and I didn't notice, but give us a way to see class base stats from the certification menu. I like to know when characters can nab some free stats without relying on online resources.

-Let us sort items so the forge/repair weapon menus don't feel like a slog.

Edited by Glennstavos

I wouldn't mind some of the changes suggested so far although they're also kind of tied to the actual gameplay. Sure it's convenience to not have to reset but also it removes any element of penalty for something that was intended to have a little. That's why to me that's not quite a clear cut QOL change that just should be in the game because it's something you could/would probably discuss with a game designer regarding the gains and intended trade offs.

I have a couple more clear cut QOL changes that I think should just be part of good UI/Navigation design that said I'm probably going to forget to mention a few others  but from the top of my head:

- The share meal action at the dinner hall should have a filter option where you put in 2 characters and it automatically gives you the list of all meals those 2 students would enjoy the most

- You should be able to buy several items at once. Example when you buy gifts just let players quasi up the number of every gift they want to buy to 1 first before they can confirm the purchase for all items they upped the number on

- You should be able to press left on a quantity 1 item and it automatically sets the number to the maximum number you can purchase of that item. Example you have 7 smithing stones in your stash you press left and it sets the purchase number to 92

- the repair menu should be reworked and should just be a list of all items that can be repaired(similar to when you repair from the convoy but with the weapons that have full durability automatically filtered out). You should be able to mark several weapons at once and repair all of them instead of having to navigate from character to character and repairing one by one.

There is way way more but I haven't touched the game in a week so all the various little UI annoyances aren't coming to mind anymore. There is one other thing related to how weirdly cumbersome it is to check certification requirements for classes but I can't quite remember what it was that was so cumbersome about it and how to rework it to be better.

Edited by Gwyn

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Maybe this is already in the game and I didn't notice, but give us a way to see class base stats from the certification menu. I like to know when characters can nab some free stats without relying on online resources

If you press X while viewing the stat increases on the second page when using a seal, it will tell you what amount of the increase is permanent to base stat and which is because of the class that you only get while in that class.

Also, On topic, I want to be able to see how many of an item I have in the convoy when purchasing items from the store. This is something that is in Path of Radiance.

Edited by Gannondworf13

34 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

- Make characters in the Monastery have different colored icons if their dialogue has an opportunity to earn support points

-When we earn a new ability or combat art, give us the opportunity to equip it right there so we don't have to just remember next time we're at base.

-This is a bigger picture change, but it bothers me that you can earn more activity points for the Explore and Battle options each Sunday, but not for seminars? So you can receive training from 10 different people in one day, but only one seminar. I've attended and held several of those in college, they're not that long when it's just one speaker. Make it so you can go to up to three. And lock out any students who have already been to one on that day.

-Maybe this is already in the game and I didn't notice, but give us a way to see class base stats from the certification menu. I like to know when characters can nab some free stats without relying on online resources.

-Let us sort items so the forge/repair weapon menus don't feel like a slog.

I feel it should all be based on professor level but 1 before a certain rank then 2 maybe at C rank and prehaps 3 when at A rank? It should be progrsssive reward kind of like exploration or battles 

I know this one might be a little more major but... allow us to lock paired endings for A/A+ support pairs.

I know there is a point system in place and how the “closest allies” thing allows you to see the most likely candidate, but depending on actions purely to train yourself up (faculty training/advanced drills) or build motivation (meals), you might end up with a pairing you do not want to strive for. And a lot of the time, Byleth himself is in the way.

A few more QoL changesI remembered wanting thanks to all of you:

• Once you max out a class for someone, have the associated skill made publicly available for future use. This way I won't have to keep looking up which Class unlocks which skill.
  • Same for gifts: I like figuring out what people like from their supports, but it'd also be nice if the game remembered what gifts you've given to who and whether they liked it.
  • I only played handheld once, but I remember the text was miniscule! A way to toggle the size would be nice (if not an option to have the game dynamically adjust font sizes when in handheld).
  • I think it's dumb that you can increase your activity points but still can only attend one Seminar a week. It'd be nice if you could upgrade this number too - up to 3 perhaps, as suggested elsewhere (I still think they're pointless, especially after you unlock Advanced Training, but still).
  • I miss Awakening's ability to merge weapon uses: I know broken weapons stick around this time, but transferring uses from one to another would help with efficiency.

Also:

2 hours ago, Gwyn said:

- You should be able to buy several items at once. Example when you buy gifts just let players quasi up the number of every gift they want to buy to 1 first before they can confirm the purchase for all items they upped the number on

- You should be able to press left on a quantity 1 item and it automatically sets the number to the maximum number you can purchase of that item. Example you have 7 smithing stones in your stash you press left and it sets the purchase number to 92 

- the repair menu should be reworked and should just be a list of all items that can be repaired(similar to when you repair from the convoy but with the weapons that have full durability automatically filtered out). You should be able to mark several weapons at once and repair all of them instead of having to navigate from character to character and repairing one by one.

I'm surprised the second wasn't in the game by default. I still make this mistake a few times...

14 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Using stat boosters without trading. I'm annoyed about swapping out an item to for consumable.

Yes please!!

10 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I know this one might be a little more major but... allow us to lock paired endings for A/A+ support pairs.

The random pairings are more realistic...but yeah, I'd love this too.

2 hours ago, redlight said:

You don't revert to your unit's original position when you press B while targeting. Allow me to MOOOOVEEE

THIS PLEASE~ I hate that I can't just move freely on a map trying to pick where to attack from~

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

The random pairings are more realistic...but yeah, I'd love this too.

Just to chime in on that pairings aren't random. If you have several a ranks the endings abide by who is their closest ally. Apparently some characters have a higher cap on support points with different characters so there are soft "canon" endings but I haven't really reached those caps so I can't confirm for me I could always shift the closest ally through battles and control what endings I got.

9 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

THIS PLEASE~ I hate that I can't just move freely on a map trying to pick where to attack from~

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one too. Yes, please!

7 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

Just to chime in on that pairings aren't random. If you have several a ranks the endings abide by who is their closest ally. Apparently some characters have a higher cap on support points with different characters so there are soft "canon" endings but I haven't really reached those caps so I can't confirm for me I could always shift the closest ally through battles and control what endings I got.

I know that how much you use your characters and around whom affects their partner, but some way to lock them in would still be nice without having to worry about hidden scores. On the other hand, that would be pretty immersion breaking...

By the way, this is the first I'm hearing about soft canon endings: is there a list of who the highest Support caps are for everyone? Thanks in advance!

Edited by DefyingFates

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one too. Yes, please!

I know that how much you use your characters and around whom affects their partner, but some way to lock them in would still be nice without having to worry about hidden scores. On the other hand, that would be pretty immersion breaking...

By the way, this is the first I'm hearing about soft canon endings: is there a list of who the highest Support caps are for everyone?

non that I know off I can't verify the claim myself but I've seen people talk about it on the serene forest discord having difficulties receiving any more support points and becoming unable to shift closest ally.

Edited by Gwyn

14 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

non that I know off I can't verify the claim myself but I've seen people talk about it on the sf discord having difficulties receiving any more support points and becoming unable to shift closest ally.

Kind of relates to the problem I had, I wanted to A (Ending) support Dimitri and Marianne. Had them always eating together and somehow Dedue still got the top spot for dimitri, or at least before Marianne along with Byleth. So I just left Dedue and him on B for the entire game...And only had Marianne been the A support..

Would be all in for some way to influence this.. Wish it would be more of a first comes first. Like the first A support you do is the pairing you get.

Of course I also don't know the truth about it until one gives some datamine insight on it. 

Also while we are at it a small thing. That we can switch the "halfforced" Byleth supports on and off, which come automatically or are on the Exploration map..

Another thing is more savefiles. 5 Are not enough for me...I always like to have some backup savefiles in case something didn't work out. Something I also thought about was the possibility to skip to a certain point of the game with New Game+...

Edited by Stroud

We had a "things you didn't realize until way too late in the game" thread earlier, and what came up a ton was combat arts needing to be equipped. For both combat arts and abilities, it should absolutely be a prompt whenever a fully equipped unit learns a new one, in combat or in lessons. Imagine if picking up an item just automatically sent it to the convoy without letting you choose. Abilities are even more permanent and important than that.

In fact, I don't see why you're limited to 3 combat arts in the first place. There's no limit to the number of spells a magic unit can have, so why do physical attackers need to choose only 3 combat arts? They should basically just be like "spells" for the weapon types you have equipped.

As for items, I wish storing, repairing, and buying/selling items could be done from the same screen. It's annoying having to go into inventory to see what superfluous items units picked up, select a unit, then see things that need to be repaired or replaced, exit out, go to Marketplace, select a shop, select a unit again, do the relevant thing, exit back to Marketplace, etc... for every unit you need to manage.

47 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I know there is a point system in place and how the “closest allies” thing allows you to see the most likely candidate, but depending on actions purely to train yourself up (faculty training/advanced drills) or build motivation (meals), you might end up with a pairing you do not want to strive for. And a lot of the time, Byleth himself is in the way.

THIS! It could even just be like Fates's A+ supports where there's no convo.

New Game +
- Let there be an indicator on classes and supports that are available in the journal. It sucks when trying to "complete" the journal when doing multiple playthroughs and one needs to figure out what class lines were done and which were not (alongside supports).
- Let there be a NG+ pool for all unlockables instead of constantly relying on NG+ chains. I want to play multiple routes at the same time instead of being "forced"  to play one after another. Perhaps the pool is updated after each finished playthrough, with the NG+ chains mainly being renown and Crest rewards.
- When there is Dialogue options in the monastery, make distinctions between what was already seen (in a different route) vs what is brand new.

Support Convos
- Add the ability to lock in character paired endings.