Rank the characters (post launch thread)

Well, I think we've had enough time after launch to have solid opinions of the cast. This is a sequel to this pre-launch ranking thread.

My list:

Spoiler

S Tier 

(Overwhelmingly strong positive bias)

Linhardt

Spoiler

Promoted all the way up from D tier due to his awesome personality! Linhardt is my spirit animal. I've never had much affinity for Priests, but he is now my favorite one by a country mile.

Claude

Spoiler

Stays right where he is. Claude was an obvious winner from his reveal and he didn't disappoint. He is both my favorite lord and my favorite archer.

Edelgard

Spoiler

Promoted from A tier because I simply love her. Such a huge step up from the daft damsels like Celica and Eirika. She is going to be a hot debate in the community for years to come. Also, as a staunch atheist, I have something of a personal affinity for her.

Marianne

Spoiler

Promoted from B tier. She is just too precious, and she will always have a place on my teams.

Seteth

Spoiler

I just like everything about Seteth. Not just the memes.

A Tier

(Strong Positive Bias)

Bernadetta

Spoiler

Demoted from S tier due to her annoying voiceover. However, I do still find her adorable. Bernadetta is everything I want in a partner.

Dmitri

Spoiler

Stays right where he is. Dmitri isn't as magnetic as the other two lords, but he is still one of the better FE lords overall. He's got some serious baggage, and he's the closest thing to a Halberdier we have.

Ashe

Spoiler

Demoted from S tier. I still like him a lot, but his really poor performance will likely keep him off of my main teams in future runs. He's an okay Bow Knight, but easily inferior to the alternatives.

Leonie

Spoiler

Promoted from B tier. I just like Leonie as a unit and as a character. She's practically a Jeigan with how seriously she breaks the early game, and falls off a bit later. But as a natural Bow Knight, she'll always potentially have a place on my team. And her time skip appearance is serious wife material.

Shamir

Spoiler

I love Shamir as a unit. I love her design. And her personality has more depth than her cold exterior suggests.

Annette

Spoiler

Promoted from C tier. Oh my, that time skip attire. The years were kind to Annette, and she already had the personality to go with it. I do, however, find her effectiveness as a unit questionable because of her lackluster spell list and erratic skill strengths.

Petra

Spoiler

Promoted from B tier. Petra has both a unique design and a fascinating personality/story. A lot of work must have gone into this character.

B Tier

(Slight Positive Bias)

Byleth

Spoiler

While being a silent protagonist hinders them, I think they did a great job making them expressive. When he gives Manuela the most deadly side-eye in a support conversation, I burst out laughing.

I really wish I could use the default commoner outfit on other classes. Male Byleth looks so cool, but his class outfits look so bad.

Hanneman

Spoiler

Hanneman's posh, intellectual personality was always going to resonate with me. He is the Bastian of this game and I love him. Shame that he's not a good unit.

Manuela

Spoiler

Manuela is brimming with personality, all of it amusing. 

Lorenz

Spoiler

Promoted from D tier. I question his effectiveness as a unit. Due to the powerful Thyrsus staff, he's good if you don't use Lysithea and bad if you do use her, while being altogether inferior to her. But I far prefer his personality. His stichk of being snobby and lacking in self awareness is just funny, but he also genuinely does mean well. His post time skip appearance does a fair amount to improve my opinion of him. And well, the Bastian/Lewyn/Rennac/Virion archetype tends to get an inherent positive bias from me, even if Lorenz is the worst example of that.

Felix

Spoiler

Demoted from S tier. He's a cool looking unit. I like his personality enough, even if he's just another Navarre. But I am unlikely to field him because I just don't find him useful due to his fragility, Authority weakness, and worthless personal skill.

Caspar

Spoiler

Promoted from D tier. I dislike his pre timeskip design and Shounen-protagonist like personality. However, his post timeskip design does a lot to salvage him, and I was surprised at how much his voice acting and sensitive, guilt-ridden moments grew on me. Caspar is... unique. Sometimes in a bad way. Sometimes in a wonderful way.

Jeralt

Spoiler

Greil 2.0 may be lesser, in my opinion, but is still very well done.

Dedue

Spoiler

Promoted from C tier. Gentle giant isn't typically a character type that resonates with me. However, Dedue is interesting. Unique design, and capable of some seriously questionable actions in service of his liege.

Alois

Spoiler

Sir Alois of House Dad Joke is always amusing.

C Tier

(No bias)

Ferdinand

Spoiler

Demoted from A tier. The very definition of meh. He's got a great design and is a great unit, but is also a toolbag (but not even in a way that makes me hate him).

Dorothea

Spoiler

Stays where she is. I'm not personally the biggest fan of her, but she's alright. She's got a unique and striking personality. She's attractive. She's useful. It's easy to see why the community loves her so much. I'd rank her higher, but I'm not a huge fan of the way she treats men. She's the type of person who would disgust me in real life, but I suppose that such is more understandable in a feudal society in which she really doesn't have a better way to secure her financial future. At least, unlike Sylvain, she doesn't go into dates planning to hurt them.

Ingrid

Spoiler

To be clear, I think Pegasus knights have both the most generic designs and the most generic personalities of any class. Very few elicit any positive or negative bias from me, and Ingrid is no exception. Meh. Hinoka is still my favorite Pegasus knight.

Ingrid

Spoiler

Demoted from B tier. Mercedes does nothing for me, which makes her the definition of C tier.

Hubert

Spoiler

Stays where he is. Hubert's stichk as being almost humorously sinister is at times charming and at times frustrating. He just doesn't do anything for me, but I also don't dislike him.

Gilbert

Spoiler

Does nothing for me.

D Tier 

(Slight Negative Bias)

Lysithea

Spoiler

Demoted from A tier. Excellent unit who becomes straight up god tier if you give her Thyrsus. However, I can't stand her personality. She is such a bitch to literally everyone in her C supports and sometimes her B supports. I also dislike the way her face animates in her post timeskip design, and I dislike how her default color scheme clashes with her blue headdress in every non-canon class.

Sylvain

Spoiler

I'm sorry, but no amount of tragedy makes him any less of a douchebag.

Ignatz

Spoiler

Promoted from F tier. I want to like him because of his personality as a sensitive artist. I have a lot in common with Ignatz. But I really dislike both his design (especially pre timeskip) and his voice.

E Tier

(Strong Negative Bias)

Catherine

Spoiler

Due to decisions she made prior to the story, I don't identify with her at all.

Hilda

Spoiler

Demoted from D tier. I just dislike her personality so very much. She has no redeeming qualities. Even as the god tier unit she is, I don't want to use her.

And no, I didn't like Serra either.

Rhea

Spoiler

I was never going to like a religious leader, to be frank. But I have to admit that she's well written. The story is better for her being in it.

F Tier

(Overwhelmingly negative bias)

Flayn

Spoiler

Me no likey Flayn. 

Cyril

Spoiler

Cyril is so very dull.

Raphael

Spoiler

Remains where he is. No personality or usefulness could ever redeem a design I dislike this much. Fortunately, I also dislike his meathead personality, and he isn't useful, so I'm not missing out on much.

He easily falls into the ranks of my most disliked characters in the franchise, behind only Nowi, Elise, Meg, Peri, and Makalov.

image.png

Edited by Etheus

S) "Absolutely adore these characters/Anna returned to be what she should've never stopped to be" tier

A) "Like a lot" tier

B) "Like" tier

C) "Neutral/Quite like but not enough for B" tier

D) Every character in this tier should have his/her own tier but i dislike them all so they're all stuck in a general "don't like at all" tier

IMG_20190826_211740_304.jpg

EWGomBe.png

Notes:

They're not in any particular order~

M!Byleth is only below F!Byleth because M!Byleth's eternally pissed off face isn't a nice as F!Byleth's eternally cute face~

Y'all did Rodrigue dirty @ whoever created this~

I'm also still having an internal struggle with how I feel about Felix so make of that whatever you will~ He should probably be in Neutral but meeeeehh~

Edited by Landmaster

image.png.5ceb8689768df0e258c160d060c7ef02.png

The characters within each tier aren't organized in any particular order.

S: Favorite characters, the best supports and designs

A: Good characters but have some lackluster supports or aren't fully explored

B: Just okay

C: Kind of boring but might have a good support or two or a decent design

D: Just.... trash. Especially Cyril. 

I have bad taste guys pls don't kill me

1718414513_my-image(4).thumb.png.7bc13349b3d595257eb998c1f1c3a552.pngp

If Cornelia was on the list, I'd put her a tier above the other the other baddies because she actually does stuff.

I don't dislike any of the students, D tier is mostly forgettable characters (Lysithea being the exception).

I had a very hard time deciding where to put Byleth since he's a character and yet...not a character. In the end I placed him high because I like his design lol

Jeritza was a mistake. Put Hanneman in Heroes. Even if he's a crappy TT unit with Thoron+, just make it happen.

Edited by Jakkun

I can't say I strongly dislike any of the students as combat units. In fact, most of the fun I got out of the game across multiple playthroughs was coming up with the best utilization of each one of them as a cooperative force, rather than strictly as individuals. So, for me to tier them based on combat effectiveness would be...difficult.

With combat out of the equation, here's a personal Tier ranking of the playable cast (with one exception) simply as characters, based on combined value of two grading factors: 

- how charming I found their portrayal to be,

- how eager I was to learn more about them.

In strict descending order--left to right--from the highest to lowest according to this personal rating.

As it so happens, the two factors don't necessarily correlate. Some, like Ferdinand and Dorothea, are like 99% Charm, but that alone is enough to place them so high.

Also,

Just now, Landmaster said:

Y'all did Rodrigue dirty @ whoever created this~

yeah forreal tho lmao the man didn't miss Aura just to be treated like this

my-image (8).png

So many characters and so little time. 

Maybe I'll one day rank each individual character but for now lets just say my original predictions where mostly accurate. I expected to like Claude, Hubert, Ashe among others, and I was perfectly correct in that. I also expected Rapheal would be very hit and miss depending on how they used his gimmick and I was correct on that too. 

Well that prerelease topic's a throwback. Not that much has changed, but there were some big ones (Annette going from dumb loli to cute hard worker was probably the biggest change). Here's the tier, I did just playable + Sothis and Rhea though, the others are not so relevant to have an opinion.

w4QiRjo.png

Thoughts:

Spoiler

Top tier are the core characters that I love from this game.

• There's been enough talk about Edelgard, but to keep it simple, her preskip design is one of the best in the game (and in the whole FE series), and her character (to me) feels like the true protagonist/hero of 3H's story. Her personal story and personality are amazing, it helps that she's such a peculiar unit (smol lord girl with axe and armor? yes). Only drawback is that she looks terrible after timeskip, but the positives are too many for her not to be top tier.
  • Hubert is a deep character, his devotion is absolute but not blind and that's an amazing thing to pull off (looking at you Catherine). Preskip is creepy but not that good, post timeskip he's an actual vampire. I love the way he trolls the other with his sinister ways btw, his support with Bernadetta are gold.
  • Dorothea is quite widely liked and it's deserved. She's the one character that truly shows the changes war brings, amazing depth. Helps that she's absolutely beautiful (again, top design along with Edelgard and the next one).
  • Ah Leonie, she'd be B or maybe A, but she's got my absolutely favourite design of them all. After the timeskip obviously, before she looks quite terrible, but she's a fun girl, and I like her dynamics with being the "most commoner" of the students and yet shitting on so many nobles.
  • F!Byleth is here because I love her design. I'm also a fan of the silent protagonist way they went with, but it's still difficult to rank a self-insert between the others.

High tier are people I'd want to recruit in every playthrough. This obviously makes me very sad as Seteth and Hilda are unavailable in my preferred path.

• Ferdinand looks good in both acts and evolves a lot as a character. I like how he chases this "ideal" of nobility, he's not really about status, he's all about nobility of heart.
  • Petra is a nice character, design wise among the best, especially after the timeskip she not only looks very hot, but it feels like there's a lot of thought in her outfit. The fact that she doesn't have any accent and perfect pronunciation bothers me a lot, otherwise she'd be top tier.
  • Hilda is sweet and looks good. Nothing much to say, wish she didn't have your average "loud 14yo in a starbucks" accent though.
  • On Marianne we're all agreeing so no need to say anything. She's so precious. And her relationship with animals is touching.
  • HANNEMAN MY BOY. He's not top because sometimes the way he speaks gets a bit much, but oh my what a surprise he was. I was sure I'd like him, but I thought he'd be a lot more evil (I initially assumed he was a villain), more like an evolved Hubert. Instead he's a proud researcher with world knowledge and great enthusiasm. I insist on using him every run even though he's quite shitty (early Meteor though).
  • Seteth is one of those who changed a lot for me. Like for Hubert, no blind devotion, but a person of his own. I like how his supports adapt to the person he's talking to, he really feels wise by doing so. Amazing VA. Great unit. I just wish he was available in CF, after all he too doubts Rhea's doings, but I guess she's family.
  • Jeralt's a good character, I wish he just didn't end up like everyone expected, what a twist it would've been to have a playable parent. VA did awesome on those painting introductions.

Good characters, I'd rather have them on my side but don't mind if they're not.

• Linhardt, another one that grew for me. He's got one of the worst designs of them all, it's a bit better (or less bad) in the timeskip, but still not good. That said his character is truly amazing because of how out of touch it is. I absolutely love how blunt and crude he is, it's just very funny to see people caught off guard completely by him thinking aloud.
  • Felix is good. I like the way he feels about Dimitri and especially the way he goes about it. No fear of status, power or strength. That said, sometimes his assholiness is uncalled for (like in regards to his father, whom I actually like) and he after all is still your average edgy myrmidon. But a bit better.
  • As I said, Annette went from worst portrait and lolibait to precious girl. Her preskip design is still terrible mind you, but her VA did amazing, and her character is a nice presence, and after timeskip she also becomes very cute. Though on her own she's a bit bland.
  • Claude is not what I expected. Which is why he's only average tier. He is a good character, but I was hoping he'd be something completely different, especially in his focus and motives. Also I wish they played a bit more in his scheming aspect. That said still a good lad, and apparently the only kind of rational person in that nuthouse.
  • Alois is funny. His relationship with Jeralt and then with Byleth is amazing, comic relief done well.
  • Shamir is nice. Nice design, great unit, and a good amount of depth. She could be higher, but it takes a while to get to the good part which is why she's here. I like how she treats her job, she's the one actual mercenary in this game despite the other ten million people claiming to be one.
  • Gilbert is a very deep character. I talked about it in another topic, but he truly brings a lot into the story. Also amazing voice, again.
  • Bylad just looks bad. But he's still a good avatar so ok.
  • Sothis is fun, she's not higher because her design is obviously made for a specific target and I'm not a fan of these things, also she doesn't get enough screentime to be higher. That said, they did well with her, not making her the "all loving mother" nor the typical loli dragon.

The next bunch are characters that have some good things, but mostly I don't really care wheter they're with me or against me.

• Dimitri is here because he's the most fun unit in the game as he's the only Lance infantry. That said I don't like his character, I can't help but see him as either the villain (in Azure Moon) or just a background figure (in the other routes). idk, playing BL really feels like playing the enemy, which I guess is a nice thing for FE, to see the other side, but that doesn't change the fact that you're playing the enemy. In his supports he's also a bit one-sided, though he has his funny moments, which are refreshing. Still, if he wasn't a Halberdier he'd be a tier lower, sorry.
  • Sylvain would be much higher if this was just preskip, but he does everything wrong afterwards. He's just the opposite of Dorothea, he doesn't feel the war at all, you'd think a guy grown up at the cold border, fighting for his life, threatened by his brother would understand a bit more what war means. But he just goes about the same as he was before, it's quite jarring that he seems to feel more in CF than in AM (where he's fighting for his homeland). I wish he had an actual evolution, that's it.
  • Ashe is nice, that's it. He's nice, nothing more. I had to see his supports with Catherine to see any emotion that wasn't enthusiasm or happiness or niceness. Which sure, in a game this dark is refreshing, but is also a bit out of place. That said he'd be higher if he didn't have the worst design change of the cast, what actually happened to his hair.
  • stop talking Flayn PLEASE
  • Manuela is funny, but she stops being funny quite early. Boobs are nice, the rest of the design is complete trash, from her terrible outfit to her stupid hair. Nope. Good VA though.
  • Rhea has a great design and is a great character, but I can't feel sympathetic with her, and I don't like how her game tries to portray her better than she is. She's a villain, straight up. And that regardless of route, what she does is just not good, and on the verge of insanity. I wish her goal was more than "muh mother", but I guess that's part of it.

Nope characters, I don't recruit them nor care for them, but if they're there I won't bench right away.

• Dedue is bland, he's not as bad as Catherine, but Hubert is everything he is but better. His whole backstory is basically the BL's backstory, so it gets tiring.
  • Ingrid is bland too. That said preskip she looks accettable, the fringe is horrifying so she just needed to cut it and she'd be a blonde beauty (how long has it been FE?). Nope, she just cuts down everything. Good bye.
  • Raphael is boring. I get that he can be nice in his supports, but he's still boring and feels like a joke most of the time.
  • Ignatz is bland, again. Worst preskip design (yes, worse than Lorenz), fixes himself in the 5 years, but he doesn't fix his bland personality. Though I'll give to him that it's actually kind of nice to have a normal person for once. But he's also a terrible units so eeeeh no thanks.
  • Lysithea is an asshole with a voice that's far too high to be accettable for more than one sentence.
  • Catherine is the first blonde beauty in the series in ages. That's all there is to her. More one-sided than Dedue, she has an interesting backstory, but never expands on it because she's too busy licking the ground "lady Rhea" walks on.
  • Cyril is annoying.

Ah, trash tier. I bench those right away, even if they're in my house. Can't stand them.

• I've talked about Caspar in a few occasions, he's terrible. He looks terrible, he acts terrible, he sounds terrible. And stop screaming for god's sake, it's so grating.
  • Bernadetta SCREECHES. Out. She's also a failed funny character which makes every single one of her lines forced and out of place.
  • Ah Mercedes, another screeching girl. As bland as they come, and actually unbearable to hear. And like Ingrid, she had okayish hair but decided to become trash.
  • Lorenz is obviously here. Ferdinand is just an upgrade on this guy. Also his timeskip design doesn't fix him, it makes him worse (a lot), which is amazing considering how bad he looks already.

Edited by timon

Apologies for the lack of easy-to-read image.

S: Possibly the best characters in Fire Emblem

Edelgard
Dimitri

A: Great characters

Hubert
Claude
Dorothea
Sylvain

B: Very good characters

Petra
Felix
Lysithea
Hilda
Ferdinand

C: Generally enjoyable

Lorenz
Annette
Bernadetta
Linhardt
Ingrid
Mercedes

D: Neutral

Marianne
Dedue
Ashe
Ignatz

E: Slight dislike

Caspar
Raphael
Leonie
Cyril

I don't have much to say about the monastery/knight characters, they tend to top out at C though. The students are much better overall IMO. Rhea is good, waiting on finishing Church Route before weighing in on how good though. The pure villains are mostly trash (Cornelia's okay). I like Sothis. Byleth is unrankable silent main.

UkdXBRu.png

i'm so edgy and contrary

s = could die in the story and i'd be legitimately depressed in rl

a = homies i'd gladly sacrifice the rest of my team for

b = ok i guess but not super attached, i like some of their supports (usually with characters in the higher tiers)

c = don't find particularly engaging though i might field them

d = dread their supports

Edited by Crysta

Oh, here's the one I made!

D3JPePy.png

Looks different from other people's though. I think I found a different TH tier maker. Doesn't really matter though.

I see lots of other love for both Claude and Sylvain too! Yayz! ❤️

9 minutes ago, Icelerate said:
Spoiler

Why are people putting flame emperor and Edelgard in different tiers? 

Spoiler

She had far less screentime as the Flame Emperor. That's my reason, anyway. Also, some people might not care for the Flame Emperor's design or not care for Edelgard's. Little stuff like that, I guess.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:
  Reveal hidden contents

She had far less screentime as the Flame Emperor. That's my reason, anyway. Also, some people might not care for the Flame Emperor's design or not care for Edelgard's. Little stuff like that, I guess.

Please spoiler the post you quoted ASAP. 

Fancy graphic:

DCRbJQv.jpg

Generally I combined my thoughts on the character as a character, with my thoughts on the character as a unit. If I’m being honest, my thoughts on the character as a unit were usually given more weight. Short reasoning, with some spoilers:

Spoiler

S Tier

Characters I like, and are really good units. I feel they did a good job with all the lords in this game, so they’re all up here.

• Claude: Grand, good ambitions. Cool guy. Great unit.
  • Edelgard: Grand ambitions, resolute, but tragically misled (to clarify, disregarding her reasons, I still think her approach was far too heavy-handed). Great unit if you pretend her personal class doesn’t exist.
  • Byleth (F): Basically a god. Oddly, I feel that the fact that she’s not written is what makes her well written. Early flight.
  • Byleth (M): Basically a god. Oddly, I feel that the fact that he’s not written is what makes him well written. Doesn’t have early flight.
  • Dimitri: Great character, good unit. Neat redemption arc.
  • Marianne: Sympathetic character. Must be protected. Good unit.

A Tier

Characters I like less than the ones in S Tier, and are at least good units.

• Ingrid: Likable character; honorable and considerate. Good unit.
  • Lysithea: Generally prickly or even outright mean at first, and warms up later. Tragic backstory. Great unit.
  • Leonie: Creative and resourceful. Idolizes Jeralt a little too much, but it’s not overly annoying. Great unit.
  • Hilda: I hesitate to say something as odd as “endearingly lazy”, but it’s not far off the mark. Genuinely cares about her allies. Great unit.
  • Hubert: Incredibly devoted and serious, but sometimes too dark for my taste. Good unit.

B Tier

Characters I lean towards liking, and tend to do well as units (where applicable).

• Ferdinand: A tolerable version of Lorenz. Good unit.
  • Hanneman: I’ve never seriously used him as a unit. He was literally carried to this spot by his supports. The paired epilogue with Lysithea was particularly magnificent.
  • Linhardt: Some of his supports are cringe-y (Flayn is the one I’m thinking of, mostly), but he’s mostly bearable and is a decent unit. Slight bias factor because, on a whim, I sent him through War Master so he could rock the QR/Nosferatu cheese; it was painful to get, but absolutely hilarious to use.

Everyone else: I don’t feel strongly enough to put my reasons into words. The places they landed in just felt right.

C Tier

Characters I’m neutral about, and for the most part lean towards liking, but I don’t deploy them enough to accurately rate them as units.

• Death Knight: Blatantly evil, but mysterious enough to be interesting if you get the smidgen of backstory from Mercedes.
  • ThyrsusLorenz: If I was actually tiering Thyrsus, it’d probably be higher. Claude’s intro on him sums up my thoughts nicely.
  • Raphael: Outside of his muscle obsession, he’s got his priorities straight. A genuinely good guy who I unfortunately don’t use much at all.

Everyone else: I don’t feel strongly enough to put my reasons into words. The places they landed in just felt right.

D Tier

Characters I dislike.

• Rhea: imo, the way she conceals and warps the truth about Fodlan’s entire history is a major factor in why Edelgard was tragically misled; I pin almost as much blame on her for it as I pin on the Agarthans themselves. She’s also obsessive about Sothis and Byleth, which I find a little creepy. If I wasn’t feeling lazy I’d probably make a C- or D+ Tier and put her there, to separate her from the other three.
  • Thales: Too much evil, not enough why. Has missiles (I’m calling them what they are. Sue me).
  • Solon: Too much evil, not enough why. Doesn’t have missiles.
  • Kronya: Basic psychopath.

Edited by LordFrigid

An incomplete listing for me, given that I've only experienced half a route of the game in total:

BIi6kQD.png

I don't have a pre-launch comparison available as I did no research on the characters back then, meaning there was no point in making one.

By way of broad categorisation:

S-tier: Sane people.

A-tier: Various levels of insane people, but I like 'em.

B-tier: Some things to like, some things to dislike.

C-tier: Either boring, overbearing or overplayed.

D-tier: Run like hell.

Edited by Humanoid