Mega Man Zero + ZX Legacy announced

Rapier

The announcement trailer:

Spoiler

https://gematsu.com/2019/08/mega-man-zero-zx-legacy-collection-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc

It'll be released in January 21 in 2020 for the PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch. Price is $29.99 / €29.99 / £24.99. It includes a few quality of life upgrades (like different layout modes to compensate for the Nintendo DS' dual screen layouts, different sprite shading), a mid stage save-state mechanic and a casual mode for the six games.

Depending on how much it costs when the price is converted to my currency, I might grab it. These are some of my favorite games in the entire series.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

All fantastic games except for Zero 1 and ZX 1. It's really unfortunate that both series had such a weak showing in their first iteration. So I would advice any new players to play the sequels first.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

All fantastic games except for Zero 1 and ZX 1

what kind of heresy is this

tbh, I admit these games are worse mechanically than the others, but hey, that's a given, since Zero 2 and ZXA had their chance to improve on what the first titles had to come up with from scratch. I think the only exception in the entire series is X1, which is amazing even compared to the others that came from it.

Personally, I prefer ZX1 for having a more Metroidvania-like authentic exploration, despite having a confusing layout. I also found the Models more useful than the A-Trans (which is a shame, because A-Trans is so cool in paper).

I hope their sales show how Capcom how much fans want another sequel to the ZX series.

32 minutes ago, Rapier said:

what kind of heresy is this

tbh, I admit these games are worse mechanically than the others, but hey, that's a given, since Zero 2 and ZXA had their chance to improve on what the first titles had to come up with from scratch. I think the only exception in the entire series is X1, which is amazing even compared to the others that came from it.

Thing is, they didn't have to come up with these things from scratch. Others did it for them. There were Metroidvanias with proper maps before. And there were games with sidequests before. They really failed at the most basic of things.
And in the end, the game is really just Zero 5 with like 75% of the game being spend on badly designed filler.

As for Zero 1, I can't even begin to comprehend what they were thinking with that game. It's basically "Beginner's Trap - The game".
And even if you do manage to sidestep all of it's crap, it's mechanics still don't actually serve a purpose. Why not have Continues? Why make levels missable? Why have an upgrade system that the game doesn't even want you to use?
Man, they should really just include an infinite lives cheat for Zero 1. Make it completely independent from any Casual Mode. That would complete negate the issues of not having Continues and missable levels in one swoop.

Edited by BrightBow

I played the original Zero collection on the DS a few years ago so i'm definitely getting this one. I've also never played the ZX games so this is the perfect opportunity.

Very surprised to see Capcom lift these from the vault. But Cappy, Bubby, you missed the Mega Man Legends tripact. If you can renew the licenses just to put them on a little known PS3 digital store, you could do it again. Maybe Battle Network as well? Those only showed up on Wii U.

42 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

As for Zero 1, I can't even begin to comprehend what they were thinking with that game. It's basically "Beginner's Trap - The game".
And even if you do manage to sidestep all of it's crap, it's mechanics still don't actually serve a purpose. Why not have Continues? Why make levels missable? Why have an upgrade system that the game doesn't even want you to use?

Yeah that sums up what I remember and why I never gave this series a second look. I probably...still won't. There's just so many retro collections and I'm not even done with Nintendo's NES Online app.

I tried the DS MMZ Collection, I discovered that even with Baby Mode Scenario that I was bad at the games. They're nice games for sure, but I question how much enjoyment I was getting from them.

However, ZX interests me with its Metroidvania elements, and difficulty which I think isn't so high. My issue with ZX though is that Advent heavily suggested a third game would happen, and that game was never made. I wish this series was finished, since as is, I'll feel like playing something incomplete.

Since all the Japan-only e-Reader cards were digitally included for MMZ3 in the DS collection, they should definitely have them here. And, that would hopefully mean that getting this Biometal OX in ZX will be possible, which needed a DS with a GBA slot holding MMZ in it to play.

First Classic, then X, now MMZ+ZX, perhaps Pokeman will follow, by that I mean Battle Network and Star Force. I tried BN1 on Wii U VC, never finished it, it could be tough, despite being kiddy in appeal, and having a slightly shoddy translation, but overall I liked it. Could a collection for that series please include an off-switch for random encounters as a QoL update?

And speaking of Battle Network, can we get a Boktai + Lunar Knights four-game collection? It's that or I emulate the first two Boktais, assuming there is a patch to fake the solar sensor of course. Taiyooooh!

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Why make levels missable?

And from what I remember, its entirely possible to fail the mission that gives you the Tri-Rod and Shield Boomerang and never be able to obtain them as a result. Sure the Z-Saber and Z-Buster are enough, but I wouldn't call this good design.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since all the Japan-only e-Reader cards were digitally included for MMZ3 in the DS collection, they should definitely have them here. And, that would hopefully mean that getting this Biometal OX in ZX will be possible, which needed a DS with a GBA slot holding MMZ in it to play.

Actually you could get OX anyway. You just had to beat the game's bonus boss.
What the GBA cards did was allowing you to fight several of the MZ3/4 bosses in ZX. Beating them served as an alternate way of obtaining Model OX.

But yeah, I did forget about the GBA locked content of ZX. Looking forward to doing this at the very least.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And from what I remember, its entirely possible to fail the mission that gives you the Tri-Rod and Shield Boomerang and never be able to obtain them as a result. Sure the Z-Saber and Z-Buster are enough, but I wouldn't call this good design.

What's even worse is missing out on the elemental chips. No exploiting boss weaknesses without those.

Edit: I hope their casual mode includes the "Model a" minigame in ZXA as well. I was never able to beat it because you have to do all 3 levels on 3 lives with no continues. And there are spikes everywhere. Aaaand of course the good old disappearing blocks. Because they never get old. Especially with no Continues.

Edited by BrightBow

Oh this is gonna be fantastic. I loved the ZX games and always wanted to play the Zero games, but they were super awkward to play on a keyboard. I could emulate them now I suppose, since I have USB controllers now, but now that I know about this, I'm gonna wait to buy the collection!

Edit: Also, hopefully this drums up enough support for a ZX3 so we can resolve that goddamned cliffhanger!

Edited by Alastor15243

It seems like there aren't even any good Youtube videos of people beating that mode. Only one I've seen that shows of stage 3 uses cheats. So that's not very helpful.
Of course the fact that Youtube's search bar doesn't care about the distinction of "Model a" and "Model A" doesn't exactly help.

But who knows, maybe no one ever managed to beat that mini game legit.

Edited by BrightBow

I just hope they don't make yet another mobile game as their answer to a ZX3.

Not saying the mobile game will be bad (it looks good, even), but I expected and wanted another game. I imagine it's going to be hell to play it without controllers. The X series deserved a title for consoles/PC.

Ah shit, here we go again.
Gonna have to replay those two series once again. For the first time. Again. 😄

But no kickass soundtrack for the trailer. 0/10 trailer, wouldn't watch it again.
I get they couldn't use Esperanto or Freesia- it's Zero and ZX- but sheesh ! 😛

Hope we the frenchies won't be screwed out of the dub this time for ZX and ZXA.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:39 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I tried the DS MMZ Collection, I discovered that even with Baby Mode Scenario that I was bad at the games. They're nice games for sure, but I question how much enjoyment I was getting from them.

However, ZX interests me with its Metroidvania elements, and difficulty which I think isn't so high. My issue with ZX though is that Advent heavily suggested a third game would happen, and that game was never made. I wish this series was finished, since as is, I'll feel like playing something incomplete.

First Classic, then X, now MMZ+ZX, perhaps Pokeman will follow, by that I mean Battle Network and Star Force. I tried BN1 on Wii U VC, never finished it, it could be tough, despite being kiddy in appeal, and having a slightly shoddy translation, but overall I liked it. Could a collection for that series please include an off-switch for random encounters as a QoL update?

And speaking of Battle Network, can we get a Boktai + Lunar Knights four-game collection? It's that or I emulate the first two Boktais, assuming there is a patch to fake the solar sensor of course. Taiyooooh!

The Zero series hates your ass, especially if you wants to unlock things. Getting A or S-rank is a difficult exercise.
...You can tell just where the Gunvolt series got that from, but at least, I feel I could, and I did, genuinely improve with Gunvolt.

ZX1 feels kind of unpolished at times. ZXA feel more polished and balanced and actually like a metroidvania. And a better map.
... Which is ironic coming from the game where using the boss forms is stupidly stupid and impratical except for a very few dedicated cases.

Always regretted that part of the game, but at least all the other biometals where actually more useful. Still not the best. I always though they still could do better.

Also yeah, huh, RIP. No ZX3. 😞

Battle Network and Starforce are an aquired taste I'd say. They're just that original. Then if you enjoy the food long enough, you'll finish it. Otherwise....
I did not even finish the BN series, and the only game I 100% was Starforce 3. Don't remember which. And 100% one of those games is not easy. At all. Really. Seriously. It's stupid.

Oh shit, forgot that ZX and ZXA had their dialog dubbed. That could be interesting.

ZX was only dubbed in Japanese, with all the voice acting removed from any other version. ZXA was dubbed in the Japanese version and got an English dub for the NTSC version but not in PAL. However PAL still maintains the NTSC voices for cutscenes and gameplay voice clips. Everything else got the axe, though.

There is also the issue with the censorship in the Zero games. Too bad the trailer doesn't seem to show Zero slicing anything in half.

Edit: Wait, they do. At 0:37. No blood spray and ...why does the dissected sprite look so white? Did they actually add new censorship for this?

Edit2: Yeah, they DID! The inside of those guys should still be all red even in the international versions. You gotta be shitting me.
Although the enemies sliced at the 2:00 minute mark are still red on the inside.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Ah shit, here we go again.
Gonna have to replay those two series once again. For the first time. Again. 😄

But no kickass soundtrack for the trailer. 0/10 trailer, wouldn't watch it again.
I get they couldn't use Esperanto or Freesia- it's Zero and ZX- but sheesh ! 😛

Hope we the frenchies won't be screwed out of the dub this time for ZX and ZXA.

The Zero series hates your ass, especially if you wants to unlock things. Getting A or S-rank is a difficult exercise.
...You can tell just where the Gunvolt series got that from, but at least, I feel I could, and I did, genuinely improve with Gunvolt.

ZX1 feels kind of unpolished at times. ZXA feel more polished and balanced and actually like a metroidvania. And a better map.
... Which is ironic coming from the game where using the boss forms is stupidly stupid and impratical except for a very few dedicated cases.

Always regretted that part of the game, but at least all the other biometals where actually more useful. Still not the best. I always though they still could do better.

Also yeah, huh, RIP. No ZX3. 😞

Battle Network and Starforce are an aquired taste I'd say. They're just that original. Then if you enjoy the food long enough, you'll finish it. Otherwise....
I did not even finish the BN series, and the only game I 100% was Starforce 3. Don't remember which. And 100% one of those games is not easy. At all. Really. Seriously. It's stupid.

Was 100% BN series really that hard after 5 onwards? Or at least 100% completion of the library and all boss fought

I wont deny 2 and 3 is some obnoxious pieces of shit though. Relative to that 5 and 6 is lenient as all hell in comparison. 5 is also the hardest imo for what that worth.

But yeah the BN series was so ahead of its time its actually kinda funny

12 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Was 100% BN series really that hard after 5 onwards? Or at least 100% completion of the library and all boss fought

I wont deny 2 and 3 is some obnoxious pieces of shit though. Relative to that 5 and 6 is lenient as all hell in comparison. 5 is also the hardest imo for what that worth.

But yeah the BN series was so ahead of its time its actually kinda funny

Well, I dunno for BN, but from my (admittedly faillible) memories, for Starforce 3, it's like this: New zone unlocked, but there's ton of doors that are stopping your progress, interacting with said door gives you a stupid indice about what you need to do, look up a guide it's easier, it generaly end up with a boss you already defeated in the main game, but stronger. Then you unlock the true post-game zone which is hard with a hard boss. Finish that, congrat you finished post game. But there's more if you want to 100% it all. The final boss is enhanced and is now called Crimson Dragon SP !. Yaaaaaay !.

You want to have all the cards, good luck with that. Then you have to beat even stronger version of bosses including the freaking post game boss, then the final boss is enhanced, again, that you have to beat (duh). Good luck you'll need it it's hard as trust me. I felt pretty damn proud about myself after the credit showing off my 8 stars and congratulating me, but good grief was it tedious and long.

(Yeah, there's 8 stars, you gain them that by basically doing everything I said above)

I pride myself of 100% games when I can, but then comes the time to 100% SF1 and SF2... I chickened out, it's apparently more or less the same.

Funny thing is, there's a youtuber who told himself "Hmmm, Crimson Dragon Sigma is not hard enough, let's buff him even more". And beat it. It's crazy.

Edited by B.Leu

19 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Well, I dunno for BN, but from my (admittedly faillible) memories, for Starforce 3, it's like this: New zone unlocked, but there's ton of doors that are stopping your progress, interacting with said door gives you a stupid indice about what you need to do, look up a guide it's easier, it generaly end up with a boss you already defeated in the main game, but stronger. Then you unlock the true post-game zone which is hard with a hard boss. Finish that, congrat you finished post game. But there's more if you want to 100% it all. The final boss is enhanced and is now called Crimson Dragon SP !. Yaaaaaay !.

You want to have all the cards, good luck with that. Then you have to beat even stronger version of bosses including the freaking post game boss, then the final boss is enhanced, again, that you have to beat (duh). Good luck you'll need it it's hard as trust me. I felt pretty damn proud about myself after the credit showing off my 8 stars and congratulating me, but good grief was it tedious and long.

(Yeah, there's 8 stars, you gain them that by basically doing everything I said above)

I pride myself of 100% games when I can, but then comes the time to 100% SF1 and SF2... I chickened out, it's apparently more or less the same.

Funny thing is, there's a youtuber who told himself "Hmmm, Crimson Dragon Sigma is not hard enough, let's buff him even more". And beat it. It's crazy.

Honestly what kills me about the idea of 100% ing Star Force 3 was the part where you want to collect all cards, including ones that isn't registered in the library since the only way to get those was through Boss Noise lol