How do the NG+ exclusive crest stones work?

Topic title.
How do the crest stones you get in New Game Plus work exactly? Do they actually give a character the crest or do they only give the effects of the crest?
If they actually gave a character the crest, they'd hypothetically be able to use the full effects of their respective relics. Like, if I equip the stone with the Gloucester crest on, say, Dorothea, she should be able to use the Pavise/Aegis effect of the Thyrsus in addition to the increased range, for example.

Fairly certain it gives the character who has it in their inventory the corresponding Crest. As an example, if you gave someone the Crest of Blaiddyd, they would occasionally double the damage and durability consumed of their Combat Arts, but they would also be able to use Atrocity since they technically have the Crest. Or someone with the Crest of Gloucester would get the extra healing from the Gloucester Axe and the occasional damage boost when using magic. 

3 hours ago, LegendOfLoog said:

Fairly certain it gives the character who has it in their inventory the corresponding Crest. As an example, if you gave someone the Crest of Blaiddyd, they would occasionally double the damage and durability consumed of their Combat Arts, but they would also be able to use Atrocity since they technically have the Crest. Or someone with the Crest of Gloucester would get the extra healing from the Gloucester Axe and the occasional damage boost when using magic. 

That's pretty awesome, then.

2 hours ago, charcoalswift said:

Effects of the crest. It is just an item thing that you can place in inventory

So, taking LegendOfLoog's answer into account, I could hypothetically put two crest stones with different effects in a character's inventory and get the effects of both? Like, if I have both Fraldarius and Indech, will their effects activate at the same time?

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

So, taking LegendOfLoog's answer into account, I could hypothetically put two crest stones with different effects in a character's inventory and get the effects of both?

From what I recall, that is possible. However, only one of the will activate (with chance), two can't activate at the same time.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

So, taking LegendOfLoog's answer into account, I could hypothetically put two crest stones with different effects in a character's inventory and get the effects of both? Like, if I have both Fraldarius and Indech, will their effects activate at the same time?

Nope, crests don't activate at the same time

It's just either 1 of them

21 hours ago, MrPerson0 said:

From what I recall, that is possible. However, only one of the will activate (with chance), two can't activate at the same time.

21 hours ago, charcoalswift said:

Nope, crests don't activate at the same time

It's just either 1 of them

Ah, I thought so already. Edelgard and Lysithea don't activate both their crests at once, either.

19 hours ago, freewaffles said:

However, I believe it will allow a Combat Art Crest to activate while using the Combat Art of another crest.  For example:

Bladdiyad could activate while using Crusher/Apocalyptic Flame/Ruined Sky/etc.

That would be awesome, actually.

It's says that you unlock more free Crest Stones based on your past playthroughs, how does this work exactly?

On my current NG+ I got the

Ice, Snow, Thorn, Bloom and Dark (AKA the lost Crests)

Light, Earth, Water, and Wind (4 Saints)

Sky - Crest of Seiros, I'm guessing because I finished Edelgard's route the first time through.

Do you get Grim for doing BL and Star for doing GD?

14 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

after my BL Path i got Felix's crest...
and i gave it to Petra. (and I still had Felix).
Felix's crest really just LOVES HIM because he triggers it like every turn. Petra activated it like. 5 times.

I think it's due to the fact that the items give minor crest, while Felix has a major one (which is btw a thing that's never even addressed anywhere in the game, and it bothers me, tell me why on earth he's the only guy to have a major crest in this game, exceptions aside).

Also @ZodiacSoldier you can buy whatever crest item you want, but you'll get the ones related to your previous playthrough for free. They don't stack though, if you play on a "stack" of 4 NG+ you get for free only the crests related to the previous one. eg. you play BE -> BL -> GD, in BL you'll have Seiros/Chicol/etc for free, in GD you'll have Dominic/Daphnel/etc for free but you'll have to buy Seiros/Chicol/etc.

Edited by timon

17 minutes ago, timon said:

I think it's due to the fact that the items give minor crest, while Felix has a major one (which is btw a thing that's never even addressed anywhere in the game, and it bothers me, tell me why on earth he's the only guy to have a major crest in this game, exceptions aside).

ohhhh. I never realised Felix's was a major.  thanks for that. 

1 hour ago, timon said:

Also, Felix has a major, but his dad has a minor.

The exceptions being:

Catherine (Charon)
The three green-hairs
Jeralt (who for some reason has a Major Seiros crest, which is also never addressed)

and

Spoiler

Three paralogue bosses who are presumably Saint Cichol, Saint Indech, and the 11th elite, Maurice.

Edited by freewaffles

2 minutes ago, freewaffles said:

Also, Felix has a major, but his dad has a minor.

The exceptions being:

Catherine (Charon)
The three green-hairs
Jeralt (who for some reason has a Major Seiros crest, which is also never addressed)

and

Hide contents

Three paralogue bosses who are presumably Saint Cichol, Saint Indech, and the 11th elite, Maurice.

Spoiler

All of those exceptions apart from Catherine are explained though (Jeralt included), watch Alois support with Byleth if you want to know (or play Church route, I'm pretty sure the info is there as well).

So I guess Catherine and Felix are never explained. That said it's not just the explanation really, the game doesn't address the minor/major distinction at all, and it never addresses that they have a rarer crest (a support with Hanneboy would suffice really).

Also the paralogues bosses are Indech (the turtle) and Macuil (the dragon). Cichol is not one of them, for reasons.

6 minutes ago, timon said:
  Hide contents

Also the paralogues bosses are Indech (the turtle) and Macuil (the dragon). Cichol is not one of them, for reasons.

Spoiler

Cichol and Cethleann are actually Seteth and Flayn respectively (and father/daughter not siblings)

Edited by freewaffles

6 minutes ago, freewaffles said:

Hide contents

Cichol and Cethleann are actually Seteth and Flayn respectively (and father/daughter not siblings)

Spoiler

Yes that's what I meant when I said "for reasons", don't know how much you know so didn't want to spoil it for you.

btw at this point, since you might have missed it, here's why Jeralt has that crest

Spoiler

Rhea shared her blood with him, IIRC to heal a wound. He not only got a major crest out of it, but also an undefinedly longer lifespan (from his first dialoguee we can guess he's AT LEAST 300 years of age, but probably more).

Felix/Catherine explanation is simple really: The stars aligned and their crest purity was just higher than normal, more akin to the bloodline founder's. There really isn't any more to it other than the fact that original descendants likely had a higher chance of inheriting the blood (I believe this was mentioned.)

Spoiler

Byleth for their part, would have likely had Seiros blood had they not been gifted the Crest of flames. Then again, they'd be just as likely to inherit that crest from their mother now wouldn't they?

1 hour ago, CyberNinja said:

Felix/Catherine explanation is simple really: The stars aligned and their crest purity was just higher than normal, more akin to the bloodline founder's. There really isn't any more to it other than the fact that original descendants likely had a higher chance of inheriting the blood (I believe this was mentioned.)

Hide contents

Byleth for their part, would have likely had Seiros blood had they not been gifted the Crest of flames. Then again, they'd be just as likely to inherit that crest from their mother now wouldn't they?

Spoiler

Well yes, but I'm more interested in why the hell no one even mentions it, I'm not even sure the minor/major distinction is addressed at all.

Also on Byleth, why would he have Flames from his mother? It's been a bit since I've played church, but I don't think those failed experiments held the crest. That one comes exclusively from the heart as far as I remember, so moving it from his mother to him would be the only way. I don't think that particular crest run in the blood is what I'm saying (and I'm not even sure how Rhea would have Sothis's blood after that much time).

I'm pretty sure the destinction IS explained in the game. And it's nothing more than 'A major crest means your bloodline is stronger, sometimes that happens'. So nothing special, really. Some have major crest, some don't have crest at all and some have a minor crest. It's just simple genetics with recessive gens which can skip generations.

1 minute ago, timon said:
  Hide contents

Well yes, but I'm more interested in why the hell no one even mentions it, I'm not even sure the minor/major distinction is addressed at all.

Also on Byleth, why would he have Flames from his mother? It's been a bit since I've played church, but I don't think those failed experiments held the crest. That one comes exclusively from the heart as far as I remember, so moving it from his mother to him would be the only way. I don't think that particular crest run in the blood is what I'm saying (and I'm not even sure how Rhea would have Sothis's blood after that much time).

Spoiler

Nemesis explicitly gained his crest from using the blood of Sothis. Those that have a crest can create a crest bloodline. So long as the one bearing the heart of Sothis also has the Crest of Flames, there is no reason to believe they couldn't pass it along their bloodline. The gaining of the Crest is more spiritual than genetic as while crests only appear in those who's ancestors had it, having multiple crest bearers rear a child doesn't seem to have any major influence on the likelihood of that child having a crest.

Now if Byleth's mother lacked a crest, my argument doesn't matter, if its never confirmed or denied, then I'd assume she had one and simply failed to be replaced by Sothis up till her death or Sothis never even awoke. Now why did Byleth manage it? Random chance? Or could it be the greater degree of Goddess heritage, having a pure Seiros Bloodline from his father (purer than Edelgard, both Byleth and Jeralt have some degree of agelessness) added alongside effectively a pure Sothis bloodline in his mother? I've only done GD, BL, and BE so I still lack the information from the church route to confirm or deny my theory, given the lack of firmness in regards to whether the mother had a crest, I assume no confirmation?)

The fact remains that Byleth is an anomaly because he is a child born of one bearing a pure bloodline (1st gen) of Seiros and a mother who (probably?) bore the Crest of Flames. Given you can S rank Sothis even on Crimson flower route (and thus gain alternate dialogue, "the stone in your chest is no more") I honestly question if Byleth even lost the crest of flames anyway since he still shares a connection with Sothis (unless we are saying that in this case, Sothis is actually a representation of Byleth's fracturing sanity)

So, yea, unless you know something, Byleth had a pretty even chance of ending up with a major Crest in Flames or Seiros since both should have been the purest bloodlines possible in the current era.

13 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Ah, I thought so already. Edelgard and Lysithea don't activate both their crests at once, either.

Yeah it's easy to tell with Edelgard but not Lysithea because her Gloucester increases magic attack while Charon is combat arts, which is weapon only

4 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Byleth's CoF is not from his mother.  Rhea implanted the crest stone in his heart at birth.  That's why it's missing from the Sword of the Creator.

She was trying to reincarnate Sothis, her mother.

Edited by freewaffles

2 hours ago, freewaffles said:
  Hide contents

Byleth's CoF is not from his mother.  Rhea implanted the crest stone in his heart at birth.  That's why it's missing from the Sword of the Creator.

She was trying to reincarnate Sothis, her mother.

Spoiler

I... know. HENCE, why I said if he had not had received the heart of Sothis

7 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

he may have still had the possibility of receiving either crest anyway. My terminology here should be clear that I considered getting the heart the clearest form of acquiring the crest, the conversation had simply moved on. Notice the "then again" connecting thought 1. He gets it from the stone and would have had Seiros crest otherwise to thought 2. he might have got it (crest of flames) anyway from his mother.

Notice how thought two talking about the mother method precludes any implication of the phrase "gifted the crest of flames" referring to this method/route because the sentence structure clearly demonstrates thought one and two as mutually exclusive outcomes. To expand on this had they not been gifted the crest of flames cannot refer to receiving it from his mother in this context and only refer to the stone because of the phrase "they'd be just as likely to inherit it from their mother" is what follows.

If what I said had been as you believed I would be saying "Byleth for their part, would likely had Seiros blood had they not received the crest of flames from their mother. Then again they be just as likely to receive the crest of flames from their mother" as you can see, it makes literally no sense if you believe what I was trying to say was that I thought Byleth only received a crest from his mother having the bloodline because when you plug in those statements into the above quote. It makes no sense.

Generally I would expect someone to infer the vast majority of this information rather than personally turning a pair of sentences into multiple paragraphs because I am using the English language and not coding a computer.