What if [Redacted] was the main antagonist? Spoilers

Thinking about it, I think Hubert would’ve been more interesting if he was the central villain and you could side with him if you C-supported him. I was thinking maybe he could want to destroy the old Fódlan and forge a new one with his followers?

Edited by Captain Karnage
Spoilers in title

Don't see why he would be better than Edelgard when his entire character is being devoted to making her vision a reality. Like without Edelgard you basically have to rewrite him to the point that it's basically just making him a male version of Edelgard which serves no purpose.

Depending on who you side with, the antagonist changes though. That's the whole point of Three Houses. Edelgard isn't even the antagonist when you choose to side with her, but rather the protagonist. Dimitri becomes consumed with revenge and ends up dying because of it, taking his most loyal retainer with him. He is the antagonist in BE Edelgard route.

Hubert is loyal to Edelgard and shares her vision. Why would he need to be the antagonist in any arc? His goals are the same as Edelgard's and there's nothing to suggest that he has any noteworthy disagreements with Edelgard in regards to their ideology unlike Seteth with Rhea. I think this is pretty evident in BE Edelgard route. I'm really curious about your reasoning behind this or if it was just a spur of the moment thought out of nowhere. 

Edited by Eltoshen

I disagree that he would just be a male Edelgard and that there'd have to be a major rewrite. A slight shift in actions, leaving everything else the same, and suddenly everything is different.

Edelgard tries to achieve her goals as peacefully as possible, struggling in the process.

Hubert loves her and wants her to achieve her goals, sees her difficulties, doesn't care about life as much as she does (already a fact), and is willing to work in the shadows behind her back (also already true). So the identity of the one causing the kidnappings and assassination attempts could have been swapped, pretty fittingly in my opinion, to him. Even have him be the one that colludes with TWSITD, with the promise of making her achieve what they want so long as they leave her alone. Pretty easy and fairly solid alteration.

3 hours ago, Holder of the Heel said:

I disagree that he would just be a male Edelgard and that there'd have to be a major rewrite. A slight shift in actions, leaving everything else the same, and suddenly everything is different.

Edelgard tries to achieve her goals as peacefully as possible, struggling in the process.

Hubert loves her and wants her to achieve her goals, sees her difficulties, doesn't care about life as much as she does (already a fact), and is willing to work in the shadows behind her back (also already true). So the identity of the one causing the kidnappings and assassination attempts could have been swapped, pretty fittingly in my opinion, to him. Even have him be the one that colludes with TWSITD, with the promise of making her achieve what they want so long as they leave her alone. Pretty easy and fairly solid alteration.

That's rewriting Hubert to be Edelgard entirely though, is it not? Both when she's a protagonist and antagonist, she had a resolve of steel. She was going to do whatever was necessary to remove the Church from power. She never had the idea of peacefully settling things as she knew that was never an option.  Edelgard and Hubert may have different personalities but she is not somebody who will sacrifice her goals because somebody brokers a peace offering. See the last chapter of Dimitri's route for reference.

Also, she willingly works with her uncle despite the atrocities he's committed because it's a means to an end.

Edited by Eltoshen

Don’t really think his character would necessarily fit the villain scale. Of course..if it were to, that would probably be the result of having to redo his entire character to fit that perspective of him being a villain. 

Let the first glance obvious token evil teammate be the evil antagonist guy... this is... like so revolutionary, for Fire Emblem, or... something.

4 hours ago, Holder of the Heel said:

disagree that he would just be a male Edelgard and that there'd have to be a major rewrite. A slight shift in actions, leaving everything else the same, and suddenly everything is different.

Why does everyone on this Forum either want to make Edelgard a flawless purely white goodie or literally Satan? I mean, she's already thematically Satan, if you go by some interpretations media has taken the latter.

I don't know why, but as much as I do agree with the intent that the stroy could be improved, I've just not been sold on any changes actually suggested here on this site, arguably they'd make for a worse product.

3 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Let the first glance obvious token evil teammate be the evil antagonist guy... this is... like so revolutionary, for Fire Emblem, or... something.

Lol to be fair... the evil looking teammate already is played as a baddie. But I do agree with your general point.

Why does everyone on this Forum either want to make Edelgard a flawless purely white goodie or literally Satan? I mean, she's already thematically Satan, if you go by some interpretations media has taken the latter.

I don't know why, but as much as I do agree with the intent that the stroy could be improved, I've just not been sold on any changes actually suggested here on this site, arguably they'd make for a worse product.

No, that's not what I'm saying I want, for I presume you include me given that I am quoted. I am just painting the picture of Hubert as the baddie for the topic at hand and how it could be done easily by shuffling who is to be blame for stuff. You can still have Edelgard be cold and sacrificial, though, especially post time skip if things go bad, in a similar yet different way with Dimitri. It just makes for an interesting contrast for the subordinate who is the hypothetical villain to contrast with the one they supposedly serve.

Edited by Holder of the Heel

Then he'd literally be Dimitri of the Empire right? Edelgard doesn't strike me as cold and sacrificial either. She doesn't indiscriminately sacrifice people. She shows remorse when her comrades die or when she has to fight her past schoolmates (for example when she realises that Dimitri is consumed with revenge in Empire route) and also when she has to fight you when she's an enemy. At the same time, she recognises that these are necessary steps to ensure the Church no longer has the power to manipulate and subjugate the people with the nobility/crest system.

Edited by Eltoshen

I disagree. Hubert's character revolves around Edelgard. If there's no Edelgard, then there's no Hubert in her shadows. If Edelgard wasn't around, what would he do on his own without a lap for his dog self to follow?