Not-Joy Con Controller Suggestions for Switch?

With the possibility of my Joy Cons starting to drift, I'm considering picking up an alternative controller for my Switch. The question is, which do I get?

I need it to be wireless, since I like playing undocked and my Switch is set up in a high traffic area so tripping and ruining everything has a chance of happening. Some choices I see

• The official Nintendo Pro Controller is trustworthy and looks good, but it's the most expensive.
  • A PowerA, 8Bitdo or Horipad looks like a quality alternative for a price thats a little lower. But the PowerA uses AAs batteries, which adds to the cost.
  • Or do I trust one of these sub-$30 controllers like the BEBONCOOL?

Thanks for any advice!

Personally I’d go with the pro controller. It may be pricey but it’s worth it imo. It’s durable and works great. It’s also worth noting that Nintendo will repair/replace your joy-con for free even without a warrenty cause drifting is such a big issue 

Personally I've been using my Wii U's gamecube adapter for docked play. It's not wireless, there's no Home button as well as some other missing buttons but the cost investment was zero since I had the equipment laying around. But if I had to purchase both at retail outlets that'd run me almost as much as the Pro Controller which isn't worth it. For handheld play I replaced my busted joycon with this third party one. It has no gyro controls, rumble, or wireless signal so it only works when attached to the switch, and not even in the joycon grip either. But it works out for me since my biggest issue resulting from joy con drift was not being able to play the Switch in handheld mode.

Altogether I recommend the pro controller, especially if you care most about docked play. No factory defects that I've heard of, and probably has a better shelf life than the third party alternatives. If you care about handheld play you'll still need some kind of functioning joy con to operate the system, in which case third party ones can be worth it. I nabbed mine for 15 dollars on a random sale.

Wait the pro controller is 70USD? I could have sworn it was priced at 60 just a few months ago. Anyway I gotta get on these free joy con repairs. My broken one just sits on the dresser doing nothing. Even if it only comes back just to operate for three months that'd probably be worth the paperwork.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Personally I’d go with the pro controller. It may be pricey but it’s worth it imo. It’s durable and works great. It’s also worth noting that Nintendo will repair/replace your joy-con for free even without a warrenty cause drifting is such a big issue 

Could you provide some information on how I can do that? I started getting the drift recently and it is rapidly progressing into a major problem.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Could you provide some information on how I can do that? I started getting the drift recently and it is rapidly progressing into a major problem.

sure all you gotta really do is go to their support website and submit a joy-con repair ticket. It's a relatively simple process.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/

Though it is worth noting that these free repairs are only in the US I believe so keep that in mind

Edited by Ottservia

28 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

sure all you gotta really do is go to their support website and submit a joy-con repair ticket. It's a relatively simple process.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/

Though it is worth noting that these free repairs are only in the US I believe so keep that in mind

I googled online and it works for all of North America so they do send it to Mexico :)

Walmart sells Zelda themed ones that are less then the pro controller but are just as good.  My Mom bought me one and I have had zero problems with it.  I think they are around $40 instead of the $70 for a pro one.  I just remember my mom said they were a lot less and it had Epona on it and since my mom has a thing for the goddess Epona that is the one she bought me.