Funimation

Dai

So, I’ve seen this on Twitter, and...not much else, but apparently, someone hacked Funimation’s servers, and found some rather...interesting outtakes from the recording booth.

Since I’m not about to straight up link those clips, here’s the profile that this seems to spread from, though I’m sure it originated moreso elsewhere, but this has most of the info.

Namely, the audio clips seem to be them reciting some doujinshi and making rather crass jokes, along the lines of sexist, incestual, homophobic, and a few others.

The reactions are quite fascinating, although the standout is people being upset over Vic Mignona’s firing over similar terms (allegations aside).

That, and people clamoring for a recast and for Toei to hand the reigns to another company.

Not sure if this is the right area.

Edited by eclipse
Removed the link

Man, the Vic online mob is getting really desperate with their whataboutism.
Suffice to say, making bad jokes does not in any way compare to very concrete sexual harassment of your own fans.

Still, crazy just how difficult it is to bring just one shitbag to justice. You would think it's usually the guy's connection that protect him from the consequences of his actions. But even if you are such a terrible person that you don't even have those, there is still a internet hate mob ready to punish anyone who dares to speak up.

Edited by BrightBow

Oh, boy.

From what I understand, they're blooper outtakes from 2003, back when people weren't as wise as to what was insensitive and wrong and said outtakes weren't supposed to reach the public?

In any case, that Twitter account you linked to is the account of a very scummy YouTube grifter by the name of Nick Rekieta (otherwise nicknamed Screech by those of us against Vic). He got Vic a lawyer (who is an incompetent doofus) and has a very questionable past, having done blackface and not apologizing for it and being a lawyer himself with apparently very poor results (and a lack of lawyer cases recently). I dunno how he got those clips (though he has ties to a doxxing site), but he's really just releasing them to distract from Vic's case where he's trying to sue Funi, Monica Rial (who played Mila in Shadows of Valentia), her fiancee, and Jamie Marchi for defamation, aka being part of the many women giving their stories about how Vic's a pedophiliac sex creep.

In case you're wondering how the case is going, the expectation among actually competent lawyers is that Vic's going to lose soon due to something called a "TPCA" (I'm not court savvy) which would dismiss the case before summary judgement, if not then, so around October. In fact, more of Vic's dirty laundry came out during the case in the form of affidavits and even Vic's own deposition.

Sadly, Vic's fanbase (and those who don't care for Vic and are just Screech's audience) has been harassing the defendants since January, and are still doing so in disturbing ways. Screech has kept them going by showing questionable affidavits that either don't mean anything or were of dubious origin and basically spinning lies typical of one who has no idea how it is being a victim of sexual harassment.

This leak of clips is just his latest attempt to get his grifter money, especially since he likely knows the case is lost and is just putting up an act.

Sure, it's bad that these existed in the first place, but all the way back to 2003? I think people often change in one and a half decades, especially when we go from having no idea what being LGBT+ is to embracing it. Regardless, they have nothing to do with the case or Vic.

In short, the clips were from a long time ago when society was insensitive, Vic's a pedophile today, and don't ever listen to Nick or grifters and/or give them clicks.

Edited by NoirCore

5 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

*snip*

That makes sense. Unfortunately, Toei could still take away the licensing and whatnot from Funi, since they are being spammed to hell and back with those clips and whatnot.

59 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Huh, this joke has been done before.

I'm pretty sure that companies and people behind do lewd and crass jokes behind the scenes, but recording all of it keeping in storage? That is asking for trouble later down the line.

I have no idea how VA recording goes but is it possible everything that's recorded in the booth gets saved and stored? That does seem more likely than the company going out of its way to store Faceless jokes.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

That makes sense. Unfortunately, Toei could still take away the licensing and whatnot from Funi, since they are being spammed to hell and back with those clips and whatnot.

The idea that Toei will stop working with the company they've been working with for more than 20 years over this is, quite frankly, laughable. They might not even know who Vic Mignogna is, and Japan sure ain't known for being LGBT positive.

Given the timing of this, and the "reputation" of that Twitter account, I've removed the link.  If this is more than mere shit-stirring, a more reputable news outlet will pick this up.

11 hours ago, Florete said:

The idea that Toei will stop working with the company they've been working with for more than 20 years over this is, quite frankly, laughable. They might not even know who Vic Mignogna is, and Japan sure ain't known for being LGBT positive.

No, but there’s also their stance on pedophilia and incest to consider. And if the backlash is strong enough to affect their western profits, they might do something.

If nothing else, it might still be in Funi’s best interest to address the situation and issue an apology, and explain that those were indeed taken nearly two decades prior. That, and they no longer condone such behavior.

Tbh, a lot of this stuff is pretty much just an Adult Swim sketch.  Family Guy, Robot Chicken, even South Park... they've all said similar, if not worse, things in their lifetime.  Heck, South Park's Season 20 had "fag" as it's closing line.

Toei's not gonna do jack; Especially not with it's own history of doing similar or worse in it's official products.  Krillin calling General Blue a "flaming homo" in the Japanese script, Master Roshi forcibly carrying a young woman off to a private room in DBS Episode 84, Akira Toriyama joking about how he'd cheat on his wife if he thought he could get away with it (yes, that actually happened)... The entirety of Lady Red (again, by Toriyama himself).

Toei isn't exactly Disney when it comes to PC issues.   Not that that's necessarily a good thing, but... If anyone's punishing FUNimation, it's not going to be them.

Edited by FionordeQuester