question about tcg rarities

drgoness

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you're talking about the difference between Rares(R) and Super Rares(SR)? If you're speaking about cards you have on you right now and can feel to tell the difference, Super Rares are usually etched, meaning there'll be ridges forming patterns on the card, generally matching the flow of the artwork, similar to Pokemon's Full-Art Rarity. Normal Rares, meanwhile, have no etching and are simply foil, unless you encounter the Signed or Alt. Art variant(R+), which will usually have gold or silver foil making up an outline around the picture. There are also Secret Rares(+X), which will generally feature lots of gold foil, particularly around the edge of the card, and will either feature a character not from the Set the card came in, or else special artwork of a character from the Set the card came in. If the former, the artwork will generally be stylized more like the GBA games' artwork, while if the latter, the artwork will usually be a more Chibi style, such as the Laevatein and Ninian +X cards. The main exception to this is Camilla's +X from the Warriors Set, which was a nearly-identical card text-wise to her Set 2 Starter Deck card but used artwork of Camilla dressed in her Warriors-exclusive Promoted Armor. You can also determine a card's rarity by checking the Serial Number in the bottom corner of the card, which will run the Set Number, Card Number, and Rarity - for example, if I wanted to find the opening card of Booster Set 5, Roy's Super Rare 5/4 card, I could search 'B05-001SR', meaning Booster Set 5, Card 001, Rarity Super Rare.
Hopefully this helps.