Unpopular Smash Opinions; again, be civil

Perkilator

Overall I would love to have more Antagonists in smash in general. They are still way to scarce... 

My unpopular opinion is that I find a certain amount of randomness in this game on competitive basis viable, I think a lot of player underestimate that adapting to unexpected situations is a skill of its own.

Edited by Stroud

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Technically....

Hide contents

Robin, and with my suggestion, Edelgard.

Robin's not an antagonist. Grima is. So I don't count them. And Edelgard is not playable at present.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Because Awakening didn't need three characters when there are several FE games in the series that have little to nothing in Smash. Also, they're more Marth (based) clones while Robin is unique. Chrom may be considered a Roy echo, but Roy was originally a Marth clone and is now more Luigified. If anymore FE clones had to be in, it should've been Black Knight as an Ike echo instead imo. Not just because of my Tellius bias either. Awakening having one or two characters and Tellius having one or two characters as well is more even. And for unique movesets, Hector or Ephraim are popular options. A unique character would obviously take more time to make than a clone, but I'm willing to sacrifice two clones for one unique character.

Also, I just don't like Chrom or Lucina as characters either, honestly. Robin I'm cool with.

But Daisy is a clone and is much less popular as a character than Lucina, for sure. If people had a choice, i'm sure Marth would be gone over her because of the difference in popularity. I mean, how many people play Marth over her?

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Lucina would have also been a really good addition as a Marth alt costume. In every sense, it is fitting for her character.

I don't understand things like this either, what is the point of this? It wouldn't change anything, and removes options, which just doesn't make sense.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

But Daisy is a clone and is much less popular as a character than Lucina, for sure. If people had a choice, i'm sure Marth would be gone over her because of the difference in popularity. I mean, how many people play Marth over her?

lol no. Marth is the face of FE and the most iconic character in the series, and by this point has become a Smash staple. He's never being removed for anything. As for Daisy, she's the only Peach clone while Marth basically has three now that are based off of him in some way. Roy was the first, then Lucina and then Chrom.

Also, Peach and Daisy are both a little more unique than the umpteenth sword wielder.

Y’know What’s funny is that Chrom is actually one of the more unique echo fighters simply because he’s basically a combination of all the other FE characters in the game besides Robin and Corrin. He’s an echo of roy who is already something of a marth clone. He doesn’t have tipper like Lucina and he’s got Ike’s up-B. It’s ironic really. He’s unique by not being unique. 

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

lol no. Marth is the face of FE and the most iconic character in the series, and by this point has become a Smash staple. He's never being removed for anything. As for Daisy, she's the only Peach clone while Marth basically has three now that are based off of him in some way. Roy was the first, then Lucina and then Chrom.

Also, Peach and Daisy are both a little more unique than the umpteenth sword wielder.

I don't buy that Marth is "the face of the franchise." He's obligatory because he was first. Nothing more. The face on the franchise wouldn't lose 3 CYL polls in a row, and one of those to ELIWOOD no less.

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I don't buy that Marth is "the face of the franchise." He's obligatory because he was first. Nothing more. The face on the franchise wouldn't lose 3 CYL polls in a row, and one of those to ELIWOOD no less.

Being the face of something doesn't automatically make you the most popular character. Mario is the face of Nintendo, but recently we saw that Kirby is more popular.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Being the face of something doesn't automatically make you the most popular character. Mario is the face of Nintendo, but recently we saw that Kirby is more popular.

But you also can't be the face of the franchise if your popularity is nowhere near the top. By far, Lucina is more relevant today than Marth. As is Ike, who is also more well liked in Smash and whose Smash popularity actually translated over to FE popularity. As are a bunch more characters. Hell, you could argue that Anna is the face of the franchise more than Marth. She's the mascot, after all, and has more appearances than any other FE character.

Also, comparing Marth to Mario is a no go. Marth was the main character of two old games and two remakes that didn't sell. Mario is the main character of nearly every entry in a tentpole franchise that DOES sell.

16 minutes ago, Etheus said:

But you also can't be the face of the franchise if your popularity is nowhere near the top. By far, Lucina is more relevant today than Marth. As is Ike, who is also more well liked in Smash and whose Smash popularity actually translated over to FE popularity. As are a bunch more characters. Hell, you could argue that Anna is the face of the franchise more than Marth. She's the mascot, after all, and has more appearances than any other FE character.

Also, comparing Marth to Mario is a no go. Marth was the main character of two old games and two remakes that didn't sell. Mario is the main character of nearly every entry in a tentpole franchise that DOES sell.

Marth still has plenty of popularity though, and to be fair, he was screwed at least twice in that CYL poll because of split votes.

That's beside the point. My point is that both Marth and Mario are faces of something but aren't the most popular character, nothing more.

Edited by Anacybele

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Marth still has plenty of popularity though, and to be fair, he was screwed at least twice in that CYL poll because of split votes.

That's beside the point. My point is that both Marth and Mario are faces of something but aren't the most popular character, nothing more.

Yeah, sure. Don't say I didn't tell you so when Marth loses CYL4 to Dimitri and Claude because no one cares about "the face of the franchise."

3 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Marth has an huge legacy as a Smash character that is arguably more important than his legacy as a Fire Emblem characters. He is the sole reason FE games has been released in the west lol.

Except he literally isn't. Roy shared that reason with him, was viewed as cooler by Western fans, and placed higher than Marth in CYL.

Just now, Flere210 said:

But Marth is the actual fe melee rep and roy was an echo they put in to advertise an upcoming game.

And? The popularity of an echo can very easily exceed that of the main fighter either casually (as in Melee) or competitively (as we see with Marth being overshadowed by all three of his echoes now). 

34 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Roy is a footnote in both Smash and FE, every futere smash that has FE characters will always have at least one of the two, and the only reason to ever pick Roy is fanboyism.

Oh, I agree that Roy's popularity is purely fanboyism. But here's the thing. That's entirely SMASH fanboyism. Roy is a character who is among Fire Emblem's most popular BECAUSE of Smash, whereas Marth fails to be among Fire Emblem's most popular DESPITE Smash. Kind of throws a wrench in your argument that Marth was responsible for bringing Smash to the west. Because the evidence would point towards Roy having done so.

Roy is a footnote written in bold 24 pt. font.

Marth is a chapter written in italicized 5 pt. font. 

Edited by Etheus

Marth is both the character that started the series and the first character that is introduced in Smash, those things won't change even if he get 300th place in CYL 4. Marth's game is the reason the whole SRPG genre exist. His historycal value top every other FE character by a landslide, FE 6 influence begin and end whit the other GBA games. 

And the FE series does not really have a "Cloud". Even the most famous character are not exactly big names for the gaming industry at large. 

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Oh, I agree that Roy's popularity is purely fanboyism. But here's the thing. That's entirely SMASH fanboyism. Roy is a character who is among Fire Emblem's most popular BECAUSE of Smash, whereas Marth fails to be among Fire Emblem's most popular DESPITE Smash. Kind of throws a wrench in your argument that Marth was responsible for bringing Smash to the west. Because the evidence would point towards Roy having done so.

Roy is a footnote written in bold 24 pt. font.

Marth is a chapter written in italicized 5 pt. font. 

Why do you think I want an FE6 remake so badly? So that Roy's Smash popularity will translate to FE popularity the same way Ike's did. Presuming of course they fix his lackluster stats.

My unpopular opinion: I love all the representation FE has in Smash. 7 fighters still boggles the mind. And I've never minded that they all use swords; you may as well complain that there's too many fisticuffs.

41 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Why do you think I want an FE6 remake so badly? So that Roy's Smash popularity will translate to FE popularity the same way Ike's did. Presuming of course they fix his lackluster stats.

My unpopular opinion: I love all the representation FE has in Smash. 7 fighters still boggles the mind. And I've never minded that they all use swords; you may as well complain that there's too many fisticuffs.

I wouldn't mind that remake itself.

And I think with FE, the tragedy isn't swords. It's missed potential. This is a series with all manner of weapon types, flying units, cavalry, heavy armored units, magic, and transformation. How is this intense variety represented? Swords. Infantry swords.

Edited by Etheus

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

If Marth is so important, why do most people prefer Lucina In smash? People dont really care, for the most part. 

Are they really "unique" though? 

2 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

I agree with this 100%, as I said it in another topic. Why not complain about fist users? 

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If Marth is so important, why do most people prefer Lucina In smash? People dont really care, for the most part. 

Are they really "unique" though?  

Lucina's probably easier to use because she doesn't have Marth's tipper effect. And also, you don't have to prefer Marth to say he's important.

6 hours ago, Etheus said:

Roy shared that reason with him, was viewed as cooler by Western fans

He can't have been that well received, seeing as FE6 didn't see a release internationally.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

On 10/22/2019 at 6:28 AM, Perkilator said:

DK Rap should’ve gotten a new remix to make up for its Melee remix’s butchering in Smash 4. I even made lyrics for it:

Hide contents

D.K. Rap (Modern) Lyrics

He-he-here we go!

So they’re finally here,

Performin’ for you;

if ya know the words

you can join in too!

Put yo hands together

if you want to clap

as we take ya through

this monkey rap! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

He’s the leader of the bunch

you know him well;

he’s finally back

to kick some tail!

(Monkey screeching with bongos)

His coconut gun

Can fire in spurts

If he shoots ya

It’s gonna hurt!

He’s bigger, faster,

And stronger too

He’s the first member

Of the D.K. crew! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong is here!

(Saxophone blare)

This Kong’s got style

So listen up, dudes!

She can shrink her size

To suit her mood

(Saxophone break)

She’s quick and nimble

When she needs ta be

She can float in the air

And climb up trees!

(Saxophone break)

If you choose her

You’ll not choose wrong

With a skip and a hop

She’s one cool Kong! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

(Weak trumpet plays with bongos)

Ain’t got no style

Ain’t got no grace

But this Kong’s

Got a funny face!

He can handstand

When he needs to

And stretch his arms out

Just for you

(Weak trumpet blare)

He inflates himself

Just like a balloon

This crazy Kong

Just digs this tune! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

(Guitar riff with saxophones)

He’s back again

And about time, too!

And this time—

He’s in the mood!

When he flies up high

With his jet pack on

And with his pistols out

He’s one tough Kong!

(Guitar and saxophone break, with a hint of Stickerbrush Symphony)

He’ll make ya smile

When he plays his tune

But Kremlings beware

‘Cause he’ll stomp on you! Huh!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Diddy Kong!

(Drums interrupt with a backing triangle)

Finally,

He’s here for you!

It’s the last member

Of the D.K. crew!

This lug’s so strong

It isn’t funny

He’ll make a Kremling

Run for his mummy

(Triangle break with backing drums)

Pickin’ up boulders

Is relative ease

Makes crushin’ rocks

Seem such a breeze

Can’t move too fast

Or jump up high

But this Kong’s

One hell of a guy! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong is here!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong is here!

(Come on Cranky,

Take it to the fridge!)

W-w-w-walnuts, peanuts,

Pineapple smells

Grapes, melons, oranges,

And coconut shells!

Ah yeah!

W-w-w-walnuts, peanuts,

Pineapple smells

Grapes, melons, oranges,

And coconut shells!

Ah yeah!

(A Klump blows up the set, and the songs starts over)

Ok that is great. Can you just revamp some of the other songs they butchered?

On 9/1/2019 at 2:40 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

I like to play 4-Player Free-for-alls, with items and stage hazards on. Also, competitive smash is boring as hell to watch.

Same on the free for alls, but I like watching competitive, and I can see why you don't find it fun.

Also, World of Light was boring as all hell. You made gods fighting each other boring!!! Currently writing drabbles around a world of light that's more like SSE

And I feel like we can cut down a ton of FE Reps. Marth, Roy, Ike and Robin can stay while the others can be replaced by other characters

Lucina-> Celica. She'd be a faster Robin, with an equal split on the tomes and swords. Plus Alm shows up for her final smash

Chrom-> Dimitri. Promotes the newest FE, and gives us lances. Plus I want Dimitri to kill every last one of them

Corrin-> Any other manakete. I know I'm gonna get lynched by the foot fetishests but here me out. We got Tiki in Warriors, we got a shit ton of manaketes, so why not add one of them? 

Hector could be the Ike Echo with K.Rool/Pirhana's Up B and the Belmonts Side/Normal B, making him the most unique echo aside from maybe Richter or any of the non clones like Luigi

Reinhardt can be Robin's Echo bc we need memes

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Lucina's probably easier to use because she doesn't have Marth's tipper effect. And also, you don't have to prefer Marth to say he's important.

Even in Smash 4, where Marth was considered better, Lucina was preferred, If anything, I think Marth should lose his spot, relevance or not. It would make the most sense to keep the well liked characters around, not the ones nobody wants to play as.

12 hours ago, Hero_Lucina said:

And I feel like we can cut down a ton of FE Reps. Marth, Roy, Ike and Robin can stay while the others can be replaced by other characters

Lucina-> Celica. She'd be a faster Robin, with an equal split on the tomes and swords. Plus Alm shows up for her final smash

Chrom-> Dimitri. Promotes the newest FE, and gives us lances. Plus I want Dimitri to kill every last one of them

Corrin-> Any other manakete. I know I'm gonna get lynched by the foot fetishests but here me out. We got Tiki in Warriors, we got a shit ton of manaketes, so why not add one of them? 

Hector could be the Ike Echo with K.Rool/Pirhana's Up B and the Belmonts Side/Normal B, making him the most unique echo aside from maybe Richter or any of the non clones like Luigi

Reinhardt can be Robin's Echo bc we need memes

This kind of contradicts itself, saying to remove FE reps but adding more FE reps? Unless this is a joke, of course. You don't have to replace characters to make them unique, it's not that hard, the developers just aren't smart enough to do it the right way.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Even in Smash 4, where Marth was considered better, Lucina was preferred, If anything, I think Marth should lose his spot, relevance or not. It would make the most sense to keep the well liked characters around, not the ones nobody wants to play as.

Yeah, and like I said, Lucina is easier for beginners to pick up, not that she was the better character in the end. Those aren't the same things. At the end of the day, Marth is better competitively, but Lucina is the better starting point for learning their moveset.