Unpopular Smash Opinions; again, be civil

Perkilator

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the FE representation problem, I'd say its fine as is. I'd also say it's impossible to entirely represent the franchise in the form of playable characters. Marth is the first, but his West appeal is lacking since all we have of him is Shadow Dragon. But Lucina is starting to get wrinkles too, the 3DS is dead, unless they port Awakening to Switch, she is going to gradually fade, and so will Robin and Corrin. More bloat, keep FE rep stuck in the past, or wash away the old as a wave of the new comes in, there is no good solution.

I wouldn't 100% agree with this, I mean, look at Cloud. He's lasted a heck of a long time.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Japan does love Kirby in a way the West doesn't. Considering there has been a Kirby Cafe since 2016 (which will be getting a new, permanent location soon), and the first Nintendo Store in Japan is only opening next month.

Y'all can call me when Fire Emblem begins celebrating its twenty-seventh anniversary

CAKEY

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I wouldn't 100% agree with this, I mean, look at Cloud. He's lasted a heck of a long time.

Fair counterargument. Both franchises continually feature entirely new worlds with new people therein. And, Cloud being FF's posterboy doesn't mean all fans by any stretch of the imagination unite behind VII as the best. I admit I could have been a little too sharp in my criticism. And being 1st party Nintendo and not a stingy 3rd party corporation that doesn't know who Cloud actually is

And on the FE Smash playables, as a child, I was Roy over Marth in Melee. But now, I'm definitely in the Marth camp, for the "elegance" and fig leaf of complexity that the tipper is. And personally, I'm Marth over the rest in gameplay.

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

CAKEY

WTK?!

*Can barely breathe*

giphy.gif

*Inhales*

Fire Emblem is two years older than Kirby, so it's already past the 27th. Next year will be its 30th. If it does get a cake, I expect it to be, by weight:

• 5% plastic cake toppers
  • 10% tempered chocolate 2D figures
  • 15% modeling chocolate sculptures
  • 20% gum paste people

It will also have on it:

• About 200 Gemstones made of hard candies
  • 30 French macaroons representing the various Fire Emblems of the franchise
  • And 1 large head of Wrys made from molten blown sugar

This would leave frosting, filling, and actual cake to comprise about 40% of the actual cake's weight.

Do keep in mind said cake will have only three tiers, not four like the Kirby 27th one. Nintendo already spent too much on figuratively repping every single game on the cake sufficiently (they even put Veld on the cake- that or it's a misshapen Male Grima with the hood up). However, mind the pepper jam filling- because Fire Emblem- is on the blazing side, but the heat is good at covering for the fact someone accidentally used salt over sugar in the cake recipe.

23 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Actually, I did. Did you even read the whole thing? These are MOSTLY minor changes. 

Yeah, bad ones at that. You clearly haven't heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The lyrics are fine as they are, it's everything else that's the problem.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• 1 month later...

I have never heard a non sword user fe character request that wasn't horrible, people love to act like viability is so common without realizing how little there is to work with with the vast majority of them

I'll just go over a few gripes

mounted units have the misfortune of being absurdly clunky in the air and generally use very typical movements that really don't do them any favors in a game like smash

fliers require you to assume that sustained flight just isn't a thing anymore alongside roughly the same issues as horses

as for individual characters

edelgard, no, a few pretty twirls and throwing your weapon isn't a moveset, come back when you learn how to reverse time

dimitri, same as edelgard just with an eyepatch

claude, good until you realize that wyvern riders can't use gauntlets and he has no secondary weapon options

azura, same as edelgard but this time with crap musical numbers come back when you learn how to not be a plot device that I assume has a pulse, yes I hate corrin, no I don't think azura would have been a better or even a good pick in his place

chrom was the tipping point where I realized that sakurai was a super casual fire emblem fan, on that note chrom's ability to use spears means nothing to his character and due to the clunky nature of having to assume he has one down his pants at all times there is no good reason to incorporate them in his moveset outside of grasping at straws to try to justify his inclusion

ike wasn't a bad pick but he got in for all the wrong reasons

Robin was one of the best character reveals in smash history and is probably the only truly great new fire emblem character where sakurai actually feels like he wanted to add him

Ephraim, same as edelgard but with questionable tactical genius 

Though he isn't my newcomer frontrunner anymore, the black knight as a boss would just be an insult, medeus and garnef would be a much more interesting boss fight due to actually being large and actually being a good representation of fire emblem endgame  bosses

And looking at the usual fire emblem requests, I see no good reason to force a spear, axe, or bow user, fire emblem has interesting things to offer, but the weapon triangle isn't one of them

Tiki is without a doubt the most underrated newcomer period

Why swinging an axe or a spear is not a movepool but swinging a sword is? They are the exact same thing. Also, Edelgard can use dark magic. And we already have both whips and time manipulation, so it's not like Byketh would add much. 

Edit: i however agree that Tiki is one the best option on paper, but i find a Three House character more likely than a legacy character, so i prefer to fight battle that i can actually win.

Edited by Flere210

12 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

mounted units have the misfortune of being absurdly clunky in the air and generally use very typical movements that really don't do them any favors in a game like smash

fliers require you to assume that sustained flight just isn't a thing anymore alongside roughly the same issues as horses

Agreed; plus, they'd need to be shrunk down like Ridley to actually fit. 

13 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

edelgard, no, a few pretty twirls and throwing your weapon isn't a moveset, come back when you learn how to reverse time

dimitri, same as edelgard just with an eyepatch

claude, good until you realize that wyvern riders can't use gauntlets and he has no secondary weapon options

Here I disagree. Edelgard has Axes and her combat arts, Aymr's unique combat art, black & dark magic, her twin crests (spoilers), need I go on?

Dimitri: no magic, but included with his lance is the combat arts, and there's battalions & gambits, his crest, etc. 

Claude I agree about, and also: he and his wyvern would probably be too big to fit without shrinking, so the wyvern would have to be separate rather than a mount. 

20 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

azura, same as edelgard but this time with crap musical numbers come back when you learn how to not be a plot device that I assume has a pulse, yes I hate corrin, no I don't think azura would have been a better or even a good pick in his place

chrom was the tipping point where I realized that sakurai was a super casual fire emblem fan, on that note chrom's ability to use spears means nothing to his character and due to the clunky nature of having to assume he has one down his pants at all times there is no good reason to incorporate them in his moveset outside of grasping at straws to try to justify his inclusion

ike wasn't a bad pick but he got in for all the wrong reasons

Robin was one of the best character reveals in smash history and is probably the only truly great new fire emblem character where sakurai actually feels like he wanted to add him

Ephraim, same as edelgard but with questionable tactical genius 

Though he isn't my newcomer frontrunner anymore, the black knight as a boss would just be an insult, medeus and garnef would be a much more interesting boss fight due to actually being large and actually being a good representation of fire emblem endgame  bosses

And looking at the usual fire emblem requests, I see no good reason to force a spear, axe, or bow user, fire emblem has interesting things to offer, but the weapon triangle isn't one of them

Tiki is without a doubt the most underrated newcomer period

Azura has her spears, water magic through singing, various effects her singing can have. She'd probably be better as an assist trophy, but she still has enough for a decent moveset as a fighter. Also, are you seriously factoring in the quality of Fates' writing (or lack thereof) to decide if a Fates character should be in Smash? Since when is that relevant?

The real reason Chrom has no javelins is that he was put in last-minute as a Roy Echo Fighter. I agree that he should not have been in Smash, but he could easily have had a javelin in his side, or carried in the arm that isn't holding his sword since FE swordsmen always use two-handed swords with one hand for some reason. 

What reasons are "all the wrong reasons"? He was the protagonist of the recent (at the time) FE game, sure, but he was also a guy with a big sword and a more rough, pragmatic approach than Marth's fencing-like style; making him very useful for FE. What is a shame is that he doesn't have the ability to shoot sword-beams like he should have because of Ragnell. 

I can agree about Robin. 

How does, "questionable tactical genius" factor into deciding a fighter for Smash Bros? I wouldn't pick Ephraim, but that's because he has less to offer than Dimitri and he's from a more obscure FE game. 

You forgot Micaiah. She isn't a swordsman, and her combination of light magic, staves, and Sothe gives her plenty for a moveset. 

How would the Black Knight as a boss be an insult? There's a lot that can be done with him, and he is large and imposing. You think Gharnef is large and the Black Knight isn't? Gharnef is a short middle-aged hunchback; he ain't large. As good a boss as Medeus could be, he'd be a bit too much like Master Beast from Smash 4. I think a more interesting choice would be Ashnard, Ashera, or Grima (in the last case, Grima is both the boss and the stage; there's a lot of potential there). 

Yeah; Tiki could be interesting as a fighter. Though how much would she have that other dragon-like characters (Charizard, Ridley) can't do?