Unpopular Smash Opinions; again, be civil

Perkilator

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and like I said, Lucina is easier for beginners to pick up, not that she was the better character in the end. Those aren't the same things. At the end of the day, Marth is better competitively, but Lucina is the better starting point for learning their moveset.

Yes, I understand this, and yet even people who master the game prefer her, people like me would play her regardless, (which I do, of course). Marth just isn't as popular, so why would people want to get rid of the character people actually want to play? I think it would make more sense to get rid of the character hardly anyone plays. And even in the case of people simply picking their favorites, Lucina is going to beat Marth by a wide margin either way.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Yes, I understand this, and yet even people who master the game prefer her, people like me would play her regardless, (which I do, of course). Marth just isn't as popular, so why would people want to get rid of the character people actually want to play? I think it would make more sense to get rid of the character hardly anyone plays. And even in the case of people simply picking their favorites, Lucina is going to beat Marth by a wide margin either way.

LIKE I SAID, PEOPLE PREFER LUCINA BECAUSE SHE'S EASIER TO USE. Not because they like her as a character. You keep missing my point entirely and it's getting bothersome having to repeat myself.

And furthermore, popularity isn't the only thing that goes into deciding which characters are playable or stay playable.

Now I'd like for this argument to end. My opinion is not changing and I'd like for you to respect it. And this thread is for giving opinions one thinks are unpopular, but that doesn't mean you can just go arguing with people you don't agree with.

Edited by Anacybele

Just offering my input: I found Lucina easier to use than Marth, but I mainly used her to train myself in combos, aerial attacks and dodging back in Smash Bros. 4. I don't really use Marth or any of his clones all that much, but Lucina was useful for training and practice.

I honestly would want to see most of the Marth clones gone; I'm not sure which one I'd want to keep around (though definitely not Chrom or Roy), but I'd definitely want to get rid of most of them and replace them with FE characters that are still main characters, still fairly popular and bring more to the table. For instance, Micaiah, Celica, Ephraim, the Three Houses lords (Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude), etc. 

Ike and Link are my mains, though I do enjoy using at least a dozen different characters. But the Marth clones are not four of them. 

Arguing that a majority of people don't like Lucina as a character or only use her over Marth because she is easier is ridiculous. That isn't an unpopular opinion; it's factually wrong.

Your unpopular opinion is that you don't like Lucina. That's cool. That's all that needed to be said and I respect that.

Edited by Etheus

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

LIKE I SAID, PEOPLE PREFER LUCINA BECAUSE SHE'S EASIER TO USE. Not because they like her as a character. You keep missing my point entirely and it's getting bothersome having to repeat myself.

And furthermore, popularity isn't the only thing that goes into deciding which characters are playable or stay playable.

Now I'd like for this argument to end. My opinion is not changing and I'd like for you to respect it. And this thread is for giving opinions one thinks are unpopular, but that doesn't mean you can just go arguing with people you don't agree with.

Easier/Harder to use is irrelevant in this conversation, people like her more, and are more apt to choose her, it's a statistical fact that's she's more popular than him. I certainly don't prefer her because she's easier to use, since I can play both just fine.

I'm not arguing at all, i'm simply stating facts and that she deserves the spot more than Marth which, you contested in the first place, so i'm simply defending my point. also,

30 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Arguing that a majority of people don't like Lucina as a character or only use her over Marth because she is easier is ridiculous. That isn't an unpopular opinion; it's factually wrong.

Your unpopular opinion is that you don't like Lucina. That's cool. That's all that needed to be said and I respect that.

This.

39 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I never said a majority of people don't like Lucina. I said a majority prefer playing her over Marth in Smash because she's easier to use. Those aren't the same things. Again. People can still like her at the same time. But you also have to remember that not every Smash player plays FE. We're not talking about the FE fanbase, we're talking about the Smash fanbase. So those Smash players who didn't play FE or at least Awakening can only judge by how they play in Smash.

Edited by Anacybele

12 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

My opinionnon the matter is far simpler: Waifu Bias.

And that's the actual answer.

Easier to play isn't as common a motivation as one would think. I would be shocked if a majority of Smash players even knew about the tipper mechanic. And pros don't care that Lucina is easier. They care that she is more reliable in this particular game.

People gravitate towards bias, not towards ease of use. I gravitate towards Chrom because I think he's cool. People gravititate towards Lucina because she's hot and a strong female icon. 

On 10/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, Anacybele said:

lol no. Marth is the face of FE and the most iconic character in the series, and by this point has become a Smash staple. He's never being removed for anything. As for Daisy, she's the only Peach clone while Marth basically has three now that are based off of him in some way. Roy was the first, then Lucina and then Chrom.

Also, Peach and Daisy are both a little more unique than the umpteenth sword wielder.

I'd say Lucina is hardly any less iconic than Marth. 

Marth may have been the first lord chronologically but for the vast majority of players he wasn't their first lord. For most western veterans he wasn't their first lord and most new players entered with Awakening of which Lucina was kinda the breakout star in terms of popularity. Marth has a certain status and prominence but I don't think he's a particularly big icon if you're not Japanese.  

Marth does have some very definitive Smash history though so removing him at this stage would be rather odd. However if put to a popularity vote I could imagine Marth losing that one to Ike and Lucina, and maybe even Roy. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd say Lucina is hardly any less iconic than Marth. 

Marth may have been the first lord chronologically but for the vast majority of players he wasn't their first lord. For most western veterans he wasn't their first lord and most new players entered with Awakening of which Lucina was kinda the breakout star in terms of popularity. Marth has a certain status and prominence but I don't think he's a particularly big icon if you're not Japanese.  

Marth does have some very definitive Smash history though so removing him at this stage would be rather odd. However if put to a popularity vote I could imagine Marth losing that one to Ike and Lucina, and maybe even Roy. 

You forget that the western fans aren't the only ones. In fact, for all we know, Japanese fans outnumber us and for many of them, Marth was the first. And not even all westerners started with FE7 or Awakening either. I started with PoR. Some others probably started with Sacred Stones or Fates.

This Marth vs Lucina argument is pointless. Why are we even expressing the possibility of something that will simply not happen (not during this installment at any rate)? They're never gonna get rid of Marth, not just because he's the original FE lord, but primarily because he's the original carrier of his moveset. Being from the NES era probably helps too. When has an original fighter ever been outright removed in favor of a clone/Echo? That's like removing Mario because, say, everyone prefers Luigi or Doc instead. Needn't explain why that would never happen. Echoes are variations, not replacements. They can be as accessible and/or high tier as they want, but unless Sakurai's successor decides to do things differently for a future installment, the parents aren't going anywhere.

I'll be honest. The more I think about it, the more I think Sakurai should've stuck to the original plan of making Lucina an alt of Marth during Smash 4. I'm sure people would've loved using her all the same. So what if her new age Falchion still has a tipper? So what if she adopts all of Marth's taunts and victory poses? She would lose her Awakening victory theme though, unless victory themes can be tied to individual costumes...... Whatever, you get the point.

Look, guys. I get it. Having effectively three Marth clones is unorthodox, ill-received, and the fact that they did it this way is dumbfounding to most. I understand. Unfortunately, we just gotta live with it for this installment. It really isn't any less "Ultimate" this way. And for the record, I for one do still like using Marth once in a while, and I still prefer him over Lucina. I'm far from the only one, I'm sure. So please...don't ever say that nobody uses him, or anyone else on this roster. Every character has their fans, no matter how small in number.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

On 10/22/2019 at 2:28 PM, Perkilator said:

DK Rap should’ve gotten a new remix to make up for its Melee remix’s butchering in Smash 4. I even made lyrics for it:

Reveal hidden contents

D.K. Rap (Modern) Lyrics

He-he-here we go!

So they’re finally here,

Performin’ for you;

if ya know the words

you can join in too!

Put yo hands together

if you want to clap

as we take ya through

this monkey rap! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

He’s the leader of the bunch

you know him well;

he’s finally back

to kick some tail!

(Monkey screeching with bongos)

His coconut gun

Can fire in spurts

If he shoots ya

It’s gonna hurt!

He’s bigger, faster,

And stronger too

He’s the first member

Of the D.K. crew! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong is here!

(Saxophone blare)

This Kong’s got style

So listen up, dudes!

She can shrink her size

To suit her mood

(Saxophone break)

She’s quick and nimble

When she needs ta be

She can float in the air

And climb up trees!

(Saxophone break)

If you choose her

You’ll not choose wrong

With a skip and a hop

She’s one cool Kong! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

(Weak trumpet plays with bongos)

Ain’t got no style

Ain’t got no grace

But this Kong’s

Got a funny face!

He can handstand

When he needs to

And stretch his arms out

Just for you

(Weak trumpet blare)

He inflates himself

Just like a balloon

This crazy Kong

Just digs this tune! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

(Guitar riff with saxophones)

He’s back again

And about time, too!

And this time—

He’s in the mood!

When he flies up high

With his jet pack on

And with his pistols out

He’s one tough Kong!

(Guitar and saxophone break, with a hint of Stickerbrush Symphony)

He’ll make ya smile

When he plays his tune

But Kremlings beware

‘Cause he’ll stomp on you! Huh!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Diddy Kong!

(Drums interrupt with a backing triangle)

Finally,

He’s here for you!

It’s the last member

Of the D.K. crew!

This lug’s so strong

It isn’t funny

He’ll make a Kremling

Run for his mummy

(Triangle break with backing drums)

Pickin’ up boulders

Is relative ease

Makes crushin’ rocks

Seem such a breeze

Can’t move too fast

Or jump up high

But this Kong’s

One hell of a guy! Huh!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong is here!

D.K.! Donkey Kong!

D.K.! (D.K.!) Donkey Kong is here!

(Come on Cranky,

Take it to the fridge!)

W-w-w-walnuts, peanuts,

Pineapple smells

Grapes, melons, oranges,

And coconut shells!

Ah yeah!

W-w-w-walnuts, peanuts,

Pineapple smells

Grapes, melons, oranges,

And coconut shells!

Ah yeah!

(A Klump blows up the set, and the songs starts over)

Those are the same lyrics the song already has, meaning that you didn't make anything. Also, putting that many unnecessary breaks in it makes the song even worse than the crappy Smash 4 remix. it would be a lot better to just put the original one in.

I would genuinely be happy of they just reskinned certain characters to include more, and include more variety becasue everyone is inf. Sword user.

Ex:Lyn is reskinned Lucina, Ekiwood is reskinned Roy,  etc.

For new characters, I think A laguz character would be good, both bird and beast. Lethe/Ranulf and Naesala/hawk king whose name I can't seem to remember.

Lyon could be added as a n antagonist playable in fe. Titania or Boyd could also be available. I sort of feel like Oscar/Boyd/Rolf should be a character akin to pokemon trainer. Mist is adorable and if she's in smash alongside Rolf it means I cans hip 'em more, so... I hope it happens. 

Since they appear in the second most recent FE game and appear so many times, Catria, Palla and Est should be in the game, with their final smash being a triangle attack.

Just some opinions that aren't related to Marth vs Lucina.

MICIAH 4 SMASH

Edited by Benice

2 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

She would lose her Awakening victory theme though, unless victory themes can be tied to individual costumes...... Whatever, you get the point.

You can set almost anything to a specific alternate, if you please. They can also have different attack stats depending on alts, so removing the tipper is still quite easy.

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Those are the same lyrics the song already has, meaning that you didn't make anything. Also, putting that many unnecessary breaks in it makes the song even worse than the crappy Smash 4 remix. it would be a lot better to just put the original one in.

Actually, I did. Did you even read the whole thing? These are MOSTLY minor changes.

6 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Can we please get back to the subject matter before this spirals into a Marth vs. Lucina thread? If I wanted to see a Marth vs. Lucina, I'd just boot up the game and play a match between the two.

Agreed. Let's get back to stating our unpopular opinions. Funny enough, based on the number of people that have gotten involved in the Marth vs Lucina argument, it seems that this itself is an unpopular Smash opinion.

Anyway, I want Link to go back to being left-handed. Is that unpopular?

-I'm totally fine with the number of Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros. Marth, Ike, Robin, and Corrin all offer up unique playing styles, Roy has been Luigified and is no longer a clone, Chrom is wholly unique by being un-unique and having moves from multiple different characters in the game, and Lucina is the only real true CLONE.

-We could actually use one more Fire Emblem character, that being Lyn who is continuously screwed over by Smash when she should have been added as far back as Brawl.

-Marth > Lucina

-"Too many swords" is a dumb argument, not just for FE characters but for everyone really; a LOT of video game heroes use swords, m'kay?

-Bowser is sorely underrated.

-I'm actually okay with the number of character representation that both Kirby and Metroid have, not only do they have most of their primary casts playable but those games do not sell as well as a lot of people think (NOT saying they sell poorly, do not twist those words.)

-Shadow the hedgehog would be a dumb addition.

-I kinda want Cranky Kong over Dixie Kong because OLD MONKEY WALKING STICK BASHING!

Brawl was the last great Smash game simply because this series has nothing new to offer anymore aside of new fighters. But then again Subspace Emissary as story mode cannot be really topped imo. 

Ultimate is definitely not bad and has its modes unlike (unnecessary) 4, but this series feels finite to me. 

Edited by Lysithea

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

-We could actually use one more Fire Emblem character, that being Lyn who is continuously screwed over by Smash when she should have been added as far back as Brawl.

Worse is the fact that she still uses her voice clips from Brawl. Like, really? They couldn't recycle some of her Heroes voice clips with her current voice actor? They did that for Tiki and Black Knight and even went to the trouble to dub new English lines for Marth and Roy, so there was no excuse.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

5 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Worse is the fact that she still uses her voice clips from Brawl. Like, really? They couldn't recycle some of her Heroes voice clips with her current voice actor? They did that for Tiki and Black Knight and even went to the trouble to dub new English lines for Marth and Roy, so there was no excuse.

They do this quite often, it's not really a surprise at this point.

7 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

-I'm totally fine with the number of Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros.

-"Too many swords" is a dumb argument, not just for FE characters but for everyone really; a LOT of video game heroes use swords, m'kay?

I agree with these.

Also, I want Roy's melee spike back, the head box one. Along with Young Link, of course.

Edited by lightcosmo

10 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

-I'm actually okay with the number of character representation that both Kirby and Metroid have, not only do they have most of their primary casts playable but those games do not sell as well as a lot of people think (NOT saying they sell poorly, do not twist those words.)

If sales were relevant pokemon and mario should have 15 reps each. And i just want Bandana because: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS, PLEASE, GIVE ME A SPEAR USER, NO MATTER WHO!

6 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

And i just want Bandana because: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS, PLEASE, GIVE ME A SPEAR USER, NO MATTER WHO!

Japan does love Kirby in a way the West doesn't. Considering there has been a Kirby Cafe since 2016 (which will be getting a new, permanent location soon), and the first Nintendo Store in Japan is only opening next month.

Which provides a method by which Bandana Dee can get into Smash. Being Sakurai is the father of Kirby, he definitely deserves a few free meals at the Kirby Cafe next time he is in Tokyo. And why not arrange a little "Waddle Dee celebration month" just in time for that visit?

On the FE representation problem, I'd say its fine as is. I'd also say it's impossible to entirely represent the franchise in the form of playable characters. Marth is the first, but his West appeal is lacking since all we have of him is Shadow Dragon. But Lucina is starting to get wrinkles too, the 3DS is dead, unless they port Awakening to Switch, she is going to gradually fade, and so will Robin and Corrin. More bloat, keep FE rep stuck in the past, or wash away the old as a wave of the new comes in, there is no good solution.