Blue Lions Team for Maddening Difficulty: Final Classes, Abilities, Accessories, Battalions

Hey guys, 

So, I figured I'd post the team I'm working on for my Blue Lions run, which I'm going to be playing for the first time when Maddening difficulty comes out. I've done a bit of preparation of a NG+ file to try to make this the best it can be (Well, except Dmitri, he'll be fresh). I have planned Battalions, Abilities, and Accessories for mostly everyone. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback. 

1. Dmitri: Final Class - Great Lord

Promotion Path: Soldier -> Brigand (Death Blow) -> Paladin (Until Mastering Aegis) -> High Lord -> Great Lord

Battalion: King of Lions Corps

Accessory: March Ring

Abilities:

- Lance Prowess 5

- Deathblow 

- Weight -3

- Movement +1

- Lance Crit +10 

I'm set on the Battalion and Accessory for him, but not the abilities. Because he's the only unit I can't prepare beforehand (Without doing a run of the game on HM to set up anyway), I have to be careful with what I train him in so he excels where he needs to. 

2. Bylass: Final Class - Enlightened One

Promotion Path: Myrmidon -> Mercenary -> Swordmaster (Till Level 30) -> Enlightened One

Battalion: Indech Sword Fighters (For Retribution)

Accessory: Critical Ring

Abilities:

- Swords 5
- Darting Blow
- Deathblow (Replace with Swordfaire)
- Sword Crit +10
- Vantage

I'm doing a Church playthrough now where I can unlock a few more things for Byleth if I want to. Basically decided to go for a Sword Lass approach this time 'round - I've tried doing the Sword/Magic hybrid, but since I'll be doing this on the second hardest difficulty I figure it's safest to focus on one. 

3. Dedue: Final Class - War Master (Or Fortress Knight)

Promotion Path: Fighter -> Brigand -> Fortress Knight -> War Master

Battalion: Duscur Heavy Infantry

Accessory: Speed Ring

Abilities:

- Axes 5
- Fists 5
- Quick Riposte
- Pavise

- Deathblow

Sorry for the weird formatting there, but... Yeah! Dedue's another one of those "Really can't import anything" guys, so I figured I ought to play it safe with him. That said, I feel like Dedue can be played VERY safe. Only real problem I can see is getting his Authority high enough for his special Battalion, but I feel like that shouldn't be 'too' hard since it's not a weakness for him. I'm considering dropping either Axe or Fist proficiency for Weight -5 though.  

4. Felix: Final Class - Bow Knight

Promotion Path: ??? -> Assassin -> Bow Knight

Battalion: Fraldarius Soldiers

Accessory: Aegis Shield

Abilities: 

- Bow Prowess 5

- Bow Crit +10

- Deathblow (Into Bowfaire)

- Movement +1

- Close Counter

Felix can take Deathblow without having to deviate into axes because he's got Brigand mastered in my master-save. This time 'round, I'll be benching him and focusing Authority for him to equip the Fraldarius Soldiers - because extra crit. I might swap them out for something that gives him more hit though. 

(Also, yes, I'm planning on using most people's unique Battalions for flavor. Don't worry, this trend stops now)

5. Sylvain: Final Class - Wyvern Lord

Promotion Path: Fighter -> Brigand -> Wyvern Rider -> Wyvern Lord

Battalion: Kingdom Wyvern Corps. 

Accessory: Rafail Gem (I'll be doing most of the Paralogues on this run, at least the ones that are available to BL students)

Abilities:

- Axes 5

- Deathblow (Into Axefaire)

- Alert Stance+

- Axe Crit +10

- Weight -3

I might even try for Weight -5 on Sylvain, but we'll see. It depends on how much Renown I end up with to go around buying skills. It might also be a good idea to try for something from a Cavalry line like Aegis. Sylvain's probably the hardest one to come up with abilities for, so I'd appreciate a lot of help with that. 

6. Mercedes: Final Class - Bishop

Promotion Path: Monk -> Priest -> Bishop

Battalion: Kingdom Priests

Accessory: Healing Staff

Abilities:

- Faith 5

- White Magic Range +1

- White Tomefaire

- Renewal

- Movement +1

Merci is going to be learning horses in my last prep save, and probably Authority too, but we'll see. 

7. Annette: Final Class - Dancer

Promotion Path: Monk -> Mage -> Dancer

Battalion: Blue Lions Dancers (Possibly School of Sorcery volunteers or one that grants Stride)

Accessory: Not really sure. White Dragon Scarf maybe? 

Abilities:

- Rally Movement

- Rally Speed (Swap out for Reason 5?)

- Rally Resistance

- Special Dance (Once I get this, I can drop Rally Speed because it's basically Rally Speed/Luck/Dex in one skill plus extra turns)

- Fiendish Blow

Anne is... tricky. Her abilities are a bit of a mess right now, because I want to mostly use her as a support unit, but in doing so I worry that I'm squandering one of my precious few magic resources. At the same time, I WILL be bringing in Lysithea, aka "She who nukes", so I probably don't have to worry too much? 

Speaking of...

8. Lysithea: Final Class - Dark Knight

Accessory: Thyrsus

Battalion: Ordelia Sorcery Corps., some magic one. 

Promotion Path: Monk -> Mage -> ??? (Warlock? I guess?) -> Dark Knight

Abilities:

- Fiendish Blow 

- Reason 5

- Movement +1

- Weight -3

- Darting Blow

There's some flexibility here. Darting Blow could probably be dropped for Dark Magic Range +1 once I get it. Because she is definitely absolutely positively not supposed to be getting attacked during enemy phase, Fiendish Blow is perfect on her. Now I just wish I could change her hair, because that purple hair... cloth... thing looks silly on anything not-a-Mage. 

9. Ashe: ???

10. Ingrid: ???

TL;DR

1. Give the setups I have so far a look, and let me know what you think. Anything I missed/should go for that'd work better? I tried to operate under the assumption that I wouldn't be getting most characters' main weapons to S+, so I shouldn't put the -faire skills on because that would encourage ignoring other important things. For characters who have masteries from other playthroughs, that's a little easier to do. Something else I'm thinking of doing is getting Weight -3 for Felix to help counteract the absolute AS killing of the Aegis Shield a bit, but we'll see. I can just unequip it if he's up against a lot of stuff that could pose a problem. 

2. For places where you see a lot of ??? (Sylvain's abilities, Annette's accessory, Ashe and Ingrid's entire... thing, suggestions for what has worked on HM so far and on Maddening for those of you who have played it would be great. I'm thinking about Ashe as a Bow Knight or a Wyvern Lord, and Ingrid as a Wyvern Lord or Falcon Knight. Someone recommended Holy Knight for her as another Healer - that might be worth doing too.  

So far, Renown-wise, I'm looking at... 

Byleth - Pegasus Knight, Brigand
        Felix - Brigand
        Lysithea - Pegasus Knight

(2000 Renown for class masteries. Could be more if I decide to go for ones for Sylvain, Ingrid, or Ashe)

Purchase Skill Level: (Total Renown- 18000 )
    Bylass: C-rank Axes (2000)
Lysithea: C-rank Lances/Faith/Heavy Armor (5500)
Felix: A+ Riding, B-rank Swords (6500)
Mercedes: A+ Riding (4000)

And obviously some more if I were to go for Weight -3 for, say, Sylvain, Felix, etc. 

Bear in mind that Ashe has deadeye, making him a very useful archer. That’s basically the main thing he’s got going for him. Both early game, when everyone’s range is limited, and late game when the extra range becomes good for picking off distant key foes (like people with effective weapons, or ballista users).

But having bows/deadeye on a wyvern wouldn’t be a bad thing. Claude shows us how effective it is, and he doesn’t even have deadeye!

if the Wyvern plan is to get in, attack, and canto away - arrows give you a much greater range of movement/retreat. Given Ashe’s general frailness, running away will be part of his plan.

So yeah, I think Wyvern Ashe is a good idea, so long as Maddenning mode still offers the resources to class him as Wyvern while he’s still using his bows as well.

Edited by Noonsal

Oh, I forgot Felix's Authority - it's 3500 to bring him up to B rank for the Battalion I want to get for him. I'm also considering dropping something (Maybe Bow Crit +10?) for Weight -3 to help offset the Aegis Shield a bit. Though, I suppose I could always just unequip it against the swarms of Swordmasters and Assassins in later auxiliary battles. 

I'd consider giving Dimitri Battalion Vantage and Wrath, as long as you don't heal his battalion he can abuse both of those skills for multiple maps consecutively after setting it up once. Slap a Gradivus on him or Retribution Gambit on him and nothing will be able to get a hit in on him.

So maybe something like:

Lancefaire/Mov+1/B.Vantage/B.Wrath/Lance Crit

7 hours ago, Jakkun said:

I'd consider giving Dimitri Battalion Vantage and Wrath, as long as you don't heal his battalion he can abuse both of those skills for multiple maps consecutively after setting it up once. Slap a Gradivus on him or Retribution Gambit on him and nothing will be able to get a hit in on him.

So maybe something like:

Lancefaire/Mov+1/B.Vantage/B.Wrath/Lance Crit

I'd probably drop Lance Crit for Lance Prowess, since I feel like he's going to have pretty good crit either way. But that is a neat combo. Plus it's entirely unique to him. 

2 hours ago, Naoko_Akamori said:

I'd probably drop Lance Crit for Lance Prowess, since I feel like he's going to have pretty good crit either way. But that is a neat combo. Plus it's entirely unique to him. 

Yeah, I was gonna say Prowess > Crit for consistency, especially if you end up fighting War Masters or Wyverns with Lancebreaker. But yeah the combo is really good, and actually gives his Lord line more of a niche since he levels Authority faster in it. Here's a vid of (an admittedly overleveled) Dimitri refusing to let the enemy do anything once he gets his Battalion skills going.

Edited by Jakkun

On 9/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, Noonsal said:

Bear in mind that Ashe has deadeye, making him a very useful archer. That’s basically the main thing he’s got going for him. Both early game, when everyone’s range is limited, and late game when the extra range becomes good for picking off distant key foes (like people with effective weapons, or ballista users).

But having bows/deadeye on a wyvern wouldn’t be a bad thing. Claude shows us how effective it is, and he doesn’t even have deadeye!

if the Wyvern plan is to get in, attack, and canto away - arrows give you a much greater range of movement/retreat. Given Ashe’s general frailness, running away will be part of his plan.

So yeah, I think Wyvern Ashe is a good idea, so long as Maddenning mode still offers the resources to class him as Wyvern while he’s still using his bows as well.

I don't see Deadeye as so great - having a long range means nothing if the lack of accuracy on such attacks means that more often than not, you just miss.

Edited by Shadow Mir