The worst parent

SeiroXorieS

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oh man I just remember Nergal is Ninian and Nils father... I guess he wasn't the worst in the past, but kidnapping your children and keeping them locked in a cell makes him a solid contender.

I don't think he remembers that they're his kids. He can't even remember his wife's name. Be it from traumatic grief or corruption by dark magic, Nergal can't remember it.

Ninian and Nils can't remember Nergal as their father either, or they simply couldn't believe he was their father, being that their father was human and should be dead these hundreds of years later. Nonetheless, when Nergal called them through the Dragon's Gate, Nils says he thought they heard "the voice of an old friend". And, on Hector Mode, possibly only if 19xx was visited, starts crying right after Nergal is slain, and Nils doesn't know why. I think the implication there was he unconsciously realized his father had just been killed.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I guess I have to put Galzus in the derelict dad department too for abandoning his daughter, even if he did try to make up for it latter in life, and reconciled with his daughter in the end (probably).

IIRC, he didn't abandon her, she got kidnapped by slavers, then rescued by Eyvel. Though it's anyone's idea why he didn't try to approach her after he asked Saias to purge the Shadow Sword.

But yeah, Desmond. Had he not been such a prick to Zephiel, the entirety of FE6 would not have happened. And all for petty reasons too.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

3H stuff:

Hide contents

I think watching your children die in the name of power is really bad, so I'm going with Edelgard's dad.

Was that really him, though? I think that was others:

Spoiler

Duke Aegir and possibly Arundel/Thales. Edelgard's dad was just too weak to stop it.

3 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Though it's anyone's idea why he didn't try to approach her after he asked Saias to purge the Shadow Sword.

Looking at what he says to Eyvel, he says "I never should've led a nomad's life with such a small child to begin with.".

But more tellingly flipping back one chapter, is what he says when Mareeta recruits him:

"Besides, with the man I am now... with all the blood I've got on my hands... I figured it was better if you didn't have anything to do with me, wherever you were.".

So Galzus isn't proud of the life he presently leads, and wouldn't want Mareeta to get involved in it. Which perhaps he thought she would have tried to do if he met her after having Saias freeing her from the cursed sword. And, he now regrets having had her travel with him from the start.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Desmond, I don't remember any other parent personally fucking up their kid so badly that they literally become the big bad of the game's sequel/prequel/whatever you want to call it.

2 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Was that really him, though? I think that was others:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Part of being a not-shitty parent is standing up when your kids need you.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah but he gives Yarne hit+20 and insane mods to pass down to Yarne!Morgan.

Except I play as Male Robin, so no Yarne!Morgan (not that I'd ever have Female Morgan go anywhere near Yarne anyway). Also, since I play on Normal, +20 Hit is worthless anyway.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Except I play as Male Robin, so no Yarne!Morgan (not that I'd ever have Female Morgan go anywhere near Yarne anyway). Also, since I play on Normal, +20 Hit is worthless anyway.

Is context appreciated?  Yes.  Does it mean that you're wrong?  Also yes.  Just because it isn't applicable to you doesn't mean it isn't applicable to others.

Nergal.

Once a good dad, but as a dad we know, is definitely a bad dad. Is he a basically a husk of a man that has been hollowed out by dark magic? Yes. Did he hunt down his own kids and cause the death of one of his own children, then laugh about it to the man she loved? Also yes.

Even the baddest of bad dads in FE don't actually succeed in getting one of their children killed.

Edited by Slumber

Garon.

If we're talking about playable parent characters, then either Tharja or any number of Fates parents because the former is actually abusive and the latter are a collective group of brain damaged monkeys that think that throwing your child in a hyperbolic time chamber amounts to good parenting.

Ryoma and Saizo hit me pretty hard because they do all this yet still expect their kids to continue their respective bloodline's tradition and be 110% obedient and just go along with it, even pulling the "you're a disappointment" card when the kid's obviously not down with it. Get outta here with that mess.

20 minutes ago, Jakkun said:

Garon.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but

Spoiler

the Garon in Fates is not actually Garon. Real Garon was said to be a bit of a shithead, but a decent father. Though I guess fake Garon acted as a father for many years...

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I can't believe I'm doing this, but

Hide contents

the Garon in Fates is not actually Garon. Real Garon was said to be a bit of a shithead, but a decent father.

Spoiler

Yeah I know, don't worry. I was referring to slime dad since he's the one we see onscreen and the reason why Xander is such an idiot during the story.

1 minute ago, Jakkun said:
  Hide contents

Yeah I know, don't worry. I was referring to slime dad since he's the one we see onscreen and the reason why Xander is such an idiot during the story.

Yeah, fair enough. I was thinking since 

Spoiler

Slime Garon's not their REAL father it doesn't count, but when he puts himself in the father position for who knows how long, it doesn't really matter.

3H spoilers

Spoiler

Where do I even begin, this game has a LOT.

Patricia: Conspired with TWSITD to kill her family, just so she could be with her real family again. Even when she was with Dimitri, she was always distant and didn't seem to care very much. Not to mention all the emotional trauma the Tragedy of Duscur inflicted on Dimitri, because she's at least indirectly responsible for it. Probably not the worst, but something about it just makes me sick to my stomach. EDIT: I feel like I should also at least mention Lonato in this section, because despite how close he is with Ashe, he is willing to fight (and kill) him just to get revenge for his other son. Lonato gets a few bonus points for at least being a pretty great dad before Christophe died, and because my personal belief is that he was so harsh to Ashe during the battle to make it easier for Ashe to fight his father.

Every single parent that only used their kids as Crest Babies: This includes Bernadetta's dad, Sylvain's dad (mainly due to his treatment of Miklan), that random merchant that adopted Mercedes. As soon as your kid is nothing more than a commodity, you've officially screwed something up with your definition of parenthood. Not including Ingrid's dad because he did treat her very well during her childhood, and is reasonable enough to retract that dodgy marriage offer in her paralogue.

And, at the top of this list:

Whoever the head of House Bartels is: I honestly think this guy is worse than Desmond. Not only does he fulfil the whole Crest Baby thing, he treats Mercedes and her mother so awfully they're forced to flee the Empire. He also screwed up his parentage of Emile so badly, that he murdered every single member of House Bartels and became the Death Knight. So, he basically did exactly what Desmond did, while also selfishly treating his children as objects to be bartered around for his own sociopolitical gain.

Sonia is also pretty crappy too.

Edited by Anathaco

Hilda of Genealogy of Holy War is quite bad and abusive even not torturing Ishtar physically she brought her in a this mess. Garon was quite bad as well even before Anankos possession. The concubine and sibiling wars happened when he was still himself 

On 9/1/2019 at 12:29 PM, Fire Brand said:

How has no one mentioned Lewyn yet. 

Lewyn was a bad husband and father, he was neglectful but I wouldn't say the worst. 

Edited by Mylady

1 minute ago, Mylady said:

Lewyn was a bad husband and father, he was neglectful but I wouldn't say the worst. 

I thought Lewyn only started becoming a shit parent and husband after 

Spoiler

he died and his body was possessed by the wind dragon.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:41 AM, starburst said:

Arthur and Kaze, for enabling Predator Cornflakes to date their literally kid children.

Wow i forgot that Corrin can date Percy 🤣🤣🤣 She is really screwed in the head...  I like to think Arthur and Kaze had no idea what was going on... 

19 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I thought Lewyn only started becoming a shit parent and husband after 

Reveal hidden contents

he died and his body was possessed by the wind dragon.

True, but as far I remember it's never revealed if Lewyn retained his personality and followed Forsethy's will or the dragon took his body completely, Kaga in his interview  let it open to interpretation. Considering Fire Emblem lore, the second option is more likely though...  

21 minutes ago, Mylady said:

Wow i forgot that Corrin can date Percy 🤣🤣🤣 She is really screwed in the head...  I like to think Arthur and Kaze had no idea what was going on... 

True, but as far I remember it's never revealed if Lewyn retained his personality and followed Forsethy's will or the dragon took his body completely, Kaga in his interview  let it open to interpretation. Considering Fire Emblem lore, the second option is more likely though...  

Considering he cries for Tailtiu, he clearly does still possess some will of his own. And in act 1 he is clearly shown to be neglectful, and if his treatment of Silvia is anything to go by, probably not a great husband either.

11 hours ago, Anathaco said:

3H spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

IMO that says more about Fodlan's society than anything.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

IMO that says more about Fodlan's society than anything.

Spoiler

True. I guess that kinda excuses parents like Sylvain’s and Mercedes’ adoptive dad. To be fair, though, Ingrid’s dad is an example of how a parent can believe completely in this Crest based society and still be a decent parent. So I still maintain that Count Varley (I don’t know much about how arranged marriage was handled in real societies, but I don’t think the fathers would be abusive enough to turn their daughters into what Bernadetta is currently. I could be wrong though), and Bartels (regardless of his beliefs, he still treated his stepwife and daughter like crap, and was abusive enough to turn his son into the Death Knight. Unless I missed something, he could’ve kept Mercedes around to marry her off, it’s not like she was completely indispensable. Just be more like Ingrid’s dad bro. And it is entirely possible to raise an heir to your house without making him a serial killer.) are some of the crappier parents the franchise has seen.

Edited by Anathaco