The worst parent

SeiroXorieS

5 hours ago, Seazas said:

At least Emperor Rudolf in his memory prism explains to Mycen everything.

Rudolf knew Alm being in Rigel would endanger him to the Duma Faithful so at least he had the decency to try to look out for his son's safety. Hell, despite Rudolf's sacrifice at least it let Alm be successful.  

There is a quote which much to my frustration eludes me, but it goes something like the greatest tragedy that can befall a character is the unwitting murder of a family member. Rudol's plan embodied the way Rigel was criticized, as too cold and uncaring to think about what the knowledge of his patricide will do to Alm; and while Rudolf may have meant well, good intention often pave a darker road.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/13/2019 at 1:47 AM, Arachnofiend said:
Spoiler

You'd think Edelgard's dad would've gotten the hint after the first one died, never mind the other nine.

Not all of Edelgard's siblings are dead some of them went delusional

Naga, because 1. She literally helped cause th extinction of the dragon kingdom she's supposed to be the god of. Also caused earth and ice dragons to go extinct in archanea, so she's also a bad aunt figure.

2.It's fairly evident that Tiki is screwed because of her poor parenting. Ban-Ban did his best, but like look how Tiki is in awakening: still obsessed with her childhood crush who murdered literally every dragon other than the few good guys, and was alreadt in a steady relationship. Also, I feel like naga married her cousin, because Tiki is technically a pefophile, she's a few thpusand years older than Marth

11 hours ago, Benice said:

Naga, because 1. She literally helped cause the extinction of the dragon kingdom she's supposed to be the god of. Also caused earth and ice dragons to go extinct in archanea, so she's also a bad aunt figure.

The earth dragons and ice dragons brought about their own extinction by refusing to become manaketes and thus succumbing to degeneration as a result. Also, Naga never claims to be a god; that's something humans attributed to her. 

11 hours ago, Benice said:

It's fairly evident that Tiki is screwed because of her poor parenting. Ban-Ban did his best, but like look how Tiki is in awakening: still obsessed with her childhood crush who murdered literally every dragon other than the few good guys, and was alreadt in a steady relationship. Also, I feel like naga married her cousin, because Tiki is technically a pefophile, she's a few thpusand years older than Marth

Naga couldn't be there for Tiki on account of being dead. It's hard to do any parenting at all when you're deceased. That's like accusing Ike and Mist's mom of being a bad mother. 

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

The earth dragons and ice dragons brought about their own extinction by refusing to become manaketes and thus succumbing to degeneration as a result. Also, Naga never claims to be a god; that's something humans attributed to her. 

Naga couldn't be there for Tiki on account of being dead. It's hard to do any parenting at all when you're deceased. That's like accusing Ike and Mist's mom of being a bad mother. 

It's a bit easier when you can appear as a ghost.

8 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

First paragraph is entirely correct.

Second paragraph, she is clearly able to communkcate with manaketes, she just chooses not to chat with tiki. Naga deserves more flack than she gets, because she is a contributing factor to Tiki ending up like she does, causing everybody who's played awakening to suffer. Next time, either use a condom or actually help your child be raised to be a productive member of society, because what happened to Tiki  is simply negligence.

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

Second paragraph, she is clearly able to communkcate with manaketes, she just chooses not to chat with tiki. Naga deserves more flack than she gets, because she is a contributing factor to Tiki ending up like she does, causing everybody who's played awakening to suffer. Next time, either use a condom or actually help your child be raised to be a productive member of society, because what happened to Tiki  is simply negligence.

Only after she revived, actually. There's no indication she could do so between her death and revival, however. In fact, there's no indication she could do such thing before she took residence on Mt. Prism.

Regarding what happened to Tiki... first of all, there's no indication she, or anyone really, could predict Tiki would be born unable to control her powers even as a manakete. Naga enabling the Shield to keep her sane shows she did at least something regarding that. The only issue is that Naga sent her to sleep even with the Shield around, since it wouldn't be until 490 years later that Adrah would weaken the shield by removing the orbs.

It also depends if her death was something she couldn't predict early enough. She knew she was dying since she had time to do stuff like placing the Falchion and Shield in the Fane of Raman; and placing Tiki at the Ice Dragon Temple. We don't know what's the exact time range, though.

All things considered, the situation would be that Naga, thinking there wasn't any more crises for the forseeable future, decided to perhaps finally settle down, had Tiki... then some time after she discovers she's dying. Xane states she died at around 5000 years old. Maybe this is the range of the Manakete lifespan, or the strain of the Divine-Earth War and dealing with Loptry gave her a premature death. In any case, she's dying; and it's likely she didn't anticipate this. She does the above, then dies. Again, only mistake was sending Tiki to sleep when it didn't look that the Shield was in any danger of weakening. She would've just entrusted Gotoh to raise her. Otherwise... she can't really be blamed for Tiki. Unless you think that one mistake is the whole trigger for your accusation.

In effect, she didn't decided that she couldn't be there for her while growing up. At least, not without hindsight. Not to mention, we have no indication that she could or couldn't have actually taken the second chance. We know that by the time of the First Exalt, Naga was back. For how long? Who knows. So perhaps she made up for lost time. She was already back in Marth's time as Nagi, at least. So it's all a matter of how long it took for her to recover her memories... and if she took the chance.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Druplesnubb said:

So with the recent update it seems that Mercedes and Jeritza's dad planned to kill his wife, marry Mercedes use her to breed more crest babies. I think that puts him in the running for the worst parent yet.

I knew there was an update (because I coincidentally started replaying it just today and got a notification). Where can I access this extra story content.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I knew there was an update (because I coincidentally started replaying it just today and got a notification). Where can I access this extra story content.

Jeritza joins automatically on CF (he even joins with extra levels if you already have an ongoing CF save from before the update). He has supports with Byleth and Mercedes but noone else.

Edited by Druplesnubb

1 hour ago, Druplesnubb said:

Jeritza joins automatically on CF (he even joins with extra levels if you already have an ongoing CF save from before the update). He has supports with Byleth and Mercedes but noone else.

Ah, so the story is edited directly? That's kind of cool, but I'd also be kind of annoyed as it would mean doing another full playthrough just to see the extra stuff. Fortunately I'm doing my Crimson Flower playthrough right now so it's good for me, but if I'd already done it I'd be kind of ticked.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to nominate a new contender for this title, among the heroes at least. He didn't beat his kids, so the villains have him beat, but... this guy's still pretty horrible. And it's funny, because you'd never know it unless you pick a rather sub-optimal pairing:

Claude, from FE4.

Spoiler

His conversation with Aideen reveals that he knew, in advance, that what happened in Chapter 5 was going to happen, and that he was going to die. He then chooses to court, marry, and impregnate a woman, knowing full well the entire time that he's going to die mere hours after she gets pregnant, leaving her to give birth to and raise his children all alone in a fascist dystopia he did nothing to stop because he simply accepted it was his "destiny". He literally lied to and manipulated a woman, most charitably in order to pass down his holy bloodline, and only has the tiniest niggling suspicion that he was remotely in the wrong.

Here's the conversation, for reference:

Spoiler

Claude:
“Adean, this is to be our last battle.”

Adean:
“Yes, that’s what everyone’s saying.”

Claude:
“Here, you should have this. Help our young soldiers with it.”

Adean:
“Oh, this is a Rescue Staff. Why me?”

Claude:
“I have yet to speak a word of this, but you being my wife, well… I should probably tell you. This war will end in our defeat. All that is important to us will be lost.”

Adean:
“…What!?”

Claude:
“I, too, had a difficult time believing the Lord’s words when I was at Blagi Tower. But this is how fate will have it. I also will not likely survive. That’s why I’m entrusting this staff to you.”

Adean:
“That can’t be true! I don’t believe any of what you’re saying!! Please… tell me it’s not true!”

Claude:
“Adean, there’s really nothing to be scared of. My death is really just a new beginning. As life embraces death, that with form is lost, yet something still remains. There’s nothing to fear in death. It is merely a transition to a more perfect form.”

Adean:
“But Claude…!”

Claude:
“Just as I am to die, I shall also be reborn. Look, inside of you is a brand new life and I am a part of it. And that is why you must keep living.”

Adean:
“How could you! You tell me to keep living while you…”

Claude:
“Adean, I have been blessed to have met you. Forgive me if I have sounded insensitive.”

Adean:
“Claude…”

• 5 months later...

Although she's certainly not the worst parent, since there are some really fucked up ones in Fire Emblem, I think Tharja is a strong contender.

She abuses both her husband and her daughter.

Need I say more?

20 hours ago, Evalko said:

Although she's certainly not the worst parent, since there are some really fucked up ones in Fire Emblem, I think Tharja is a strong contender.

She abuses both her husband and her daughter.

Need I say more?

Not to defend her entirely, as she kinda creeps me out, but the abusive Tharja was the one from the apocalyptic future, in which going a little nuts would be understandable. She was volatile when Chrom was winning, imagine how she would turn if all hope was lost. The Tharja from the timeline we play shows hitns at becoming like her other self, but in her supports with others she begins to change into a more positive character. Even with her final supports between her and his child/husband.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

On 11/23/2019 at 11:52 PM, Alastor15243 said:

I'd like to nominate a new contender for this title, among the heroes at least. He didn't beat his kids, so the villains have him beat, but... this guy's still pretty horrible. And it's funny, because you'd never know it unless you pick a rather sub-optimal pairing:

Claude, from FE4.

Hide contents

His conversation with Aideen reveals that he knew, in advance, that what happened in Chapter 5 was going to happen, and that he was going to die. He then chooses to court, marry, and impregnate a woman, knowing full well the entire time that he's going to die mere hours after she gets pregnant, leaving her to give birth to and raise his children all alone in a fascist dystopia he did nothing to stop because he simply accepted it was his "destiny". He literally lied to and manipulated a woman, most charitably in order to pass down his holy bloodline, and only has the tiniest niggling suspicion that he was remotely in the wrong.

Here's the conversation, for reference:

Hide contents

Claude:
“Adean, this is to be our last battle.”

Adean:
“Yes, that’s what everyone’s saying.”

Claude:
“Here, you should have this. Help our young soldiers with it.”

Adean:
“Oh, this is a Rescue Staff. Why me?”

Claude:
“I have yet to speak a word of this, but you being my wife, well… I should probably tell you. This war will end in our defeat. All that is important to us will be lost.”

Adean:
“…What!?”

Claude:
“I, too, had a difficult time believing the Lord’s words when I was at Blagi Tower. But this is how fate will have it. I also will not likely survive. That’s why I’m entrusting this staff to you.”

Adean:
“That can’t be true! I don’t believe any of what you’re saying!! Please… tell me it’s not true!”

Claude:
“Adean, there’s really nothing to be scared of. My death is really just a new beginning. As life embraces death, that with form is lost, yet something still remains. There’s nothing to fear in death. It is merely a transition to a more perfect form.”

Adean:
“But Claude…!”

Claude:
“Just as I am to die, I shall also be reborn. Look, inside of you is a brand new life and I am a part of it. And that is why you must keep living.”

Adean:
“How could you! You tell me to keep living while you…”

Claude:
“Adean, I have been blessed to have met you. Forgive me if I have sounded insensitive.”

Adean:
“Claude…”

Yeah and just one random detail to add to that: Edain and all Genealogy characters have two children, so unless Lana and Lester are twins, she was already a mother and Claude impregnated her - or his other possible wives - again.

Maybe he wanted to leave his bloodline alive because he was aware he would die?  Some people think like that even today, despite being a extremely selfish and flawed mindset  

13 minutes ago, Mylady said:

Yeah and just one random detail to add to that: Edain and all Genealogy characters have two children, so unless Lana and Lester are twins, she was already a mother and Claude impregnated her - or his other possible wives - again.

Maybe he wanted to leave his bloodline alive because he was aware he would die?  Some people think like that even today, despite being a extremely selfish and flawed mindset  

Honestly I like to headcanon that the reason Lester never learned how to use a staff in that pairing was out of defiant disgust for what his father did to give that bloodline to him.