Do you think Three Houses should have an enhanced re-release? (*contains spoilers*)

FoxyGrandpa

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is quickly growing to be one of my favorite games in the series, featuring a arguably the best balance of gameplay, story, and immersive world-building in the entire series imo. Despite my  love for the game, I can't help but feel there are several missed opportunities within the game that prevent it from being as good as it should be. 

Similar to the Persona and Pokemon series, I think this game's lasting impact would greatly improve if it was given an enhanced re-release, ironing out some of the issues in the game that couldn't be addressed due to the initially limited development time.

Some ways an enhanced release could improve the game:

• greater number of mid-week activities
  • more minigames
  • greater amount of variety for the post-timeskip chapters (several chapters are reused between routes despite not always making sense)
  • exploitable dungeons
  • recruitable NPCs (Judith, Rodrigue, etc.)
  • more post-timeskip chapters that wrap up lose ends (currently, there are 18-22 chapters per route, which makes the game rather short by FE standards)
  • more interaction between classes within pre-timeskip chapters (i.e. Dimitri and Claude being green units in Chapter 12)
  • more supports

What are your thoughts? Do you think the game should have an enhanced re-release?

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

5 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

1: THE GAME'S BEEN OUT FOR BARELY OVER A MONTH. NO, IT DOESN'T NEED A RERELEASE.

2: Every single one of those things could be done in a patch, no rerelease necessary.

Oh, I'm not saying they should re-release the game now, but sometime later. I think between late 2020 or early 2021 would be the best time to re-release it. Also, while some of the features I mentioned can be added through patches, its unlikely that they'd change entire sections of the game, like the repeated maps, through patches alone. I could maybe see them adding an epilogue for each house that contains a few chapters through a patch, but even that seems like a stretch since NG+ means its pretty unlikely that most people have their old save files in-tact to play these maps.

I like the game too and it could be able, but it has some flaws. My main concern on it is, the open end, especially in the case of my favourite road crimson flower. I see some potential in the upcoming DLCs and free updates, to make it even better. 
A re-release would be too much love for this title in the next years, they could create a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War or another older Fire Emblem, instead re-releasing three houses.

If anything, the existence of multiple routes probably means there's little value to be gotten out of doing this. In a classic one-route game, you could perhaps entice me to play the same campaign again with fairly minor changes (or perhaps not, I never felt the urge to play Hector mode for example). After playing very similar campaigns up to four times over ....yeah, the idea of playing it fifth and indeed eighth time is not going to be an attraction at all to me. As it stands my current expectation would be to wrap up my current first campaign, then maybe do one NG+ run.

To be fair, I have not replayed a Fire Emblem game ever, with the exception of an aborted Awakening run that I got about a quarter of the way through at best. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Edited by Humanoid

More often I dislike re-releases in general. I can't be hyped with Persona 5 Royal. Even if they add quite a few things. I am also not too happy about DQ11, because the PS4 version honestly feels not complete. Even before it was announced. 

With the DLC,s is had which also cost a bit its ok and it doesn't need to have one. Also I want for Insys more to focus on different projects after they are done with the DLC,s. Be it some remake of Por/RD or Genealogy or a new Fire Emblem. I think they should put the capacity there. 

I'd rather they just finish the DLC and then move on to the next game.

I'm always skeptical when trying to make major changes to a current game. I'd rather they save ideas for the next game. Get a fresh start to make a game even better than Three Houses.

Re-release is such a thing in the 90s, there is absolutely no reason in the days of internet updates, everything today can be fix with patches

except companies tried to rip off players by making them buying same game twice.

Edited by Timlugia

As long as in 2079 when they remake this game they make Sylvain the Death Knight, then I'll be happy. Seriously though, Sylvain would have worked so well as the Death Knight imo, he already has a hatred for crests, his cavalier armour looks identical, the crest of Gautier's tarot card is Death, he's a cynical enough person to fill the role and betray his former friends. And it would make for compelling drama.

Edited by SpiceMan

21 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

As long as in 2079 when they remake this game they make Sylvain the Death Knight, then I'll be happy. Seriously though, Sylvain would have worked so well has the Death Knight imo, he already has a hatred for crests, his cavalier armour looks identical, the crest of Gautier's tarot card is Death, he's a cynical enough person to fill the role and betray his former friends. And it would make for compelling drama.

Incidentally, since CF loses Flayne and BL get's exclusivity in Gilbert, they could have totally pulled the ol' switcheroo with having Sylvain join your army as the deathknight (replacing lost Flayne) and Gilbert being the replacement for a lost Sylvain. Just make him, you know, not shit.

11 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Incidentally, since CF loses Flayne and BL get's exclusivity in Gilbert, they could have totally pulled the ol' switcheroo with having Sylvain join your army as the deathknight (replacing lost Flayne) and Gilbert being the replacement for a lost Sylvain. Just make him, you know, not shit. 

Actually Gilbert already is a replacement for Dedue

Spoiler

who can die if you don't do his paralogue it seems.

7 hours ago, Hauke said:

Actually Gilbert already is a replacement for Dedue

Hide contents

who can die if you don't do his paralogue it seems.

You know, I did think of editing that in but... eh. I did feel if I did I'd lose all ability to claim being only half serious if someone quoted me.

Its something Koei often does with their games. Characters like Judith, Holst and count Bergliez would be ''extreme legends'' additions' if this was a Warriors game. 

But updated releases aren't really a tradition within Fire Emblem. Remakes sure but its a few decades too soon for Three Houses to get a remake. I suspect Nintendo would keep Koei on a very tight leash if they planned to treat Three Houses like a Warriors release.

I won't say its not a worthwhile endeavor. There are plenty of things to expand upon. It would sure be nice if count Bergliez and Holst made appearances and when it comes to the Death Knight I have a feeling that a ton of plotlines involving him ended up getting scrapped. 

Maybe I got the wrong impression, but isn't Holst supposed to be the way he is? He's talked up to be the strongest guy in the alliance, supposed to lead it, and then he's knocked out by a joke (the mushrooms) while there's an invasion, and he also fails to achieve leadership of the alliance . I thought he was supposed to be an opposite to Hilda (eg. strong and caring girl that talks herself into a weak lazy asshole).

Holst has to be competent enought to prevent almyran invasions so it cannot be a total wuss. And while i think it's indeed a joke that he get taken out by mushroms everytime, it's more like "if the badass is here there is no reason for the protagonist to fight, so let's find a meme excuse on why he is not here."

Honestly, I don't mind Holst and Count Bergliez being NPCs, I just with I knew what they looked like. They don't have a portrait or nothing and it seems really odd considering how important they are on the military side of things.

However, there is no reason for Judy to not be playable on the Golden Deer route, outside of laziness.

Spoiler

I'd understand if she died offscreen or something like Randolph or Rodrigue, or even just part of a different military force, but she's literally with you for the whole of part 2. Nader at least has the excuse of being present only for certain chapters, but Judy is effectively the Gilbert of GD.

1 hour ago, Jakkun said:

Honestly, I don't mind Holst and Count Bergliez being NPCs, I just with I knew what they looked like. They don't have a portrait or nothing and it seems really odd considering how important they are on the military side of things.

Agreed. For them both, I would have been satisfied with even just one on-screen appearance, like what happened with Edelgard's father and Duke Aegir. 

Edited by Vince777