New Smash DLC character leaked...somewhat

Water Mage

SNK?! AWESOME!

Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury is one of my favorite fighting game characters ever so I'm really hoping it's him, but with the recent revival of Samurai Shodown I wouldn't be surprised if it's Haohmaru.

SNK? I think any suggestion would get me raising an eyebrow. But then I'll see Sakurai's creative moveset and representation of the character and all the doubt evaporates. Still this is a hard thing to believe. SNK games aren't really recognizable for their characters. Or recognizable period compared to other partners due to lack of game production. Could it be SamSho...? They've got quite the bankroll after buying their way into E3. I am suddenly very interested to know who bought this company.

Apparently some other leaks from the past few months have people thinking the character might be Nakoruru (who I'd never even heard of before today). Watch this for an overview:

He doesn't mention it but there was another recent leak that said the next fighter would be a female character that no one was asking for, which also fits Nakoruru.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Apparently some other leaks from the past few months have people thinking the character might be Nakoruru (who I'd never even heard of before today). Watch this for an overview:

He doesn't mention it but there was another recent leak that said the next fighter would be a female character that no one was asking for, which also fits Nakoruru.

Which is why I thought it would be Mai.

But the whole bird thing does lean towards Nakoruru.

Edited by Etheus

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Which is why I thought it would be Mai.

She does fit some of it, so it could be her and the leaks leaning more towards Nakoruru would just be fake.

She's a character I actually knew existed before today but at a glance Nakoruru looks like she'd make for a more unique Smash fighter so I think I'd prefer her, but we'll see.

4 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Considering Mai's appearance, probably not.

But then again, Bayonetta is in the game.

Personally, I don't think a little toning down in design would hurt. They did it for Bayonetta and F!Corrin, after all.

38 minutes ago, Florete said:

She does fit some of it, so it could be her and the leaks leaning more towards Nakoruru would just be fake.

She's a character I actually knew existed before today but at a glance Nakoruru looks like she'd make for a more unique Smash fighter so I think I'd prefer her, but we'll see.

I'm fine with it either way. I also agree that Nakoruru would make the more unique fighter.

Also, I don't know if there is anything to this, but Nakoruru would further support companion/mascot theory - that being that all 5 dlc picks have a companion or mascot to add to Smash. If that holds for the 5th character, that has interesting possibilities (like Spyro & Sparks, or Crash and Aku Aku.)

So the profile then for Smash Ultimate's DLC characters would be:

• All third party
  1. A modern RPG rep with popularity on both sides of the Pacific- Joker
  2. An older RPG rep with popularity in Japan- Hero
  3. A 3D collectathon platformer rep with popularity in the US- Banjo & Kazooie
  4. A Fighting game rep- perhaps because Smash is in this weird place of trying to be both a "Party Game" and something serious in the Fighting genre?
  5. ???

Somehow funny how King of Fighter/ Fatal Fury characters are going into other fighting games..
Yagami is in Million Arthur: Arcana Blood from Square-Enix
Mai was in Dead Or Alive 
And Geeze Howard in Tekken 7...

Welp.. I have some ideas who I like to see. But I just wait for the announcement I hope that we will get one female at least in the DLC.. (Don't give me Kazooie here).  Smash only has a few there.. not that they cater and like told here they could adjust Mai to make her more PG. Nakoruru would be nice too. She is pretty popular. I don't see much chance for Eri or Fio. But who knows.

Nakoruru? I thought Haomaru was the poster boy for Samurai Shodown.

I would have thought they would pick someone else from SNK, too. Terry, the aforementioned Haomaru, any of the big shots from KoF, even Geese Howard for his second guest role. But I dunno. We dunno.

Kinda hope this is just "coloring the water" where false info is shared to a few individuals so the people up top can learn whose leaking the info.

IDK, I just don't trust leaks anymore, especially knowing that dev's intentionally do just that

7 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Kinda hope this is just "coloring the water" where false info is shared to a few individuals so the people up top can learn whose leaking the info.

IDK, I just don't trust leaks anymore, especially knowing that dev's intentionally do just that

This isn't that kind of leak, though. This was on Nintendo's own website (and has since been taken down). Whoever put this up just made a mistake.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

This isn't that kind of leak, though. This was on Nintendo's own website (and has since been taken down). Whoever put this up just made a mistake.

Just looked into it

Wow, either they wanted to troll us, or an intern screwed up big time.

If its who you're saying, I can't wait for all the "who is" memes

Edited by Captain Karnage

6 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Considering Mai's appearance, probably not.

But then again, Bayonetta is in the game.

I think Bayonetta got in because she doesn't have that revealing skin on her outfit and plus, GameXplain in the past did covered that they did altered the stockings along with female Corrin and Palutena gets a minor edit. I think Mai would might get a heavily edit than the three that I mentioned since I don't recall Mai has been appearing in a game that was less than Teen rated.

I think the SNK rep that I really think that would get in is either Terry, Athena, Marco, or one of the Samurai Showdown characters.

Edited by King Marth 64

And once again, a DLC character is going to be someone I'd never heard of. I'd never heard of Joker or any of the Dragon Quest characters (I'd only heard of their game series). I had heard of Banjo Kazooie, but vaguely. What is with Sakurai and picking these obscure characters when there are actual bigger Nintendo characters who should be getting in first? (like Dixie Kong, Rex and Pyra/Mythra, basically any new Zelda rep, etc.)

Well, I guess it's nice for people who do know and like the characters though.

45 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And once again, a DLC character is going to be someone I'd never heard of. I'd never heard of Joker or any of the Dragon Quest characters (I'd only heard of their game series). I had heard of Banjo Kazooie, but vaguely. What is with Sakurai and picking these obscure characters when there are actual bigger Nintendo characters who should be getting in first? (like Dixie Kong, Rex and Pyra/Mythra, basically any new Zelda rep, etc.)

Well, I guess it's nice for people who do know and like the characters though.

Sakurai mentioned that Xenoblade 2 was too late, and days after one of the trailers, they finalized the DLC fighters in a Tweet. As much as I want Rex, I have doubts.

Also, Nintendo chose the DLC characters, not Sakurai. Maybe he can give a recommendation, but otherwise it seems he doesn't have control.

And Banjo and Joker ain't obscure by a LONG shot. Especially not Banjo for being from a well-beloved N64 classic. 😛

Anyways, yeah, I had only heard of SNK on occasion thanks to the times they had crossovers with Capcom. My best guesses are either female Terry or one of the Metal Slug characters, but I otherwise have nothing.

57 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Sakurai mentioned that Xenoblade 2 was too late, and days after one of the trailers, they finalized the DLC fighters in a Tweet. As much as I want Rex, I have doubts.

I know why Rex isn't getting in, I was just using him as an example.

58 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

And Banjo and Joker ain't obscure by a LONG shot. Especially not Banjo for being from a well-beloved N64 classic.

Are you sure? I'd never heard of Joker at all before he was announced, I was literally going "who is this?" As for Banjo, a beloved N64 classic? I'd never heard of him until maybe a few years ago.

You not knowing a character does not mean that the character is obscure. I can't name any character from Call of Duty, but i doubt that the franchise has no iconic characters. Or i only found out that the minecraft guy is named Steve in the smash-related discussions.

If you ask random gamers they are far, far more likely to know who Joker or who Banjo and Kazooie are, or what Dragon quest is, than to know who Rex is. And the same is true for any prominent SNK fighter, because if you ever played coin-ops, you played them.

I think that even KOS-MOS is more well known than Rex actually. Not that i want her.