New Smash DLC character leaked...somewhat

Water Mage

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And once again, a DLC character is going to be someone I'd never heard of. I'd never heard of Joker or any of the Dragon Quest characters (I'd only heard of their game series). I had heard of Banjo Kazooie, but vaguely. What is with Sakurai and picking these obscure characters when there are actual bigger Nintendo characters who should be getting in first? (like Dixie Kong, Rex and Pyra/Mythra, basically any new Zelda rep, etc.)

Well, I guess it's nice for people who do know and like the characters though.

It sounds like your gaming portfolio doesn't extend far beyond Nintendo platforms. And in some cases, you are factually incorrect.

Joker is not obscure. Not by a long shot, and not compared to Rex. Persona 5 alone has sold 2.7 million copies, to say nothing of its multiple spinoffs. Xenoblade Chronicles 2, for comparison, sold 1.7 million copies.

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And once again, a DLC character is going to be someone I'd never heard of. I'd never heard of Joker or any of the Dragon Quest characters (I'd only heard of their game series). I had heard of Banjo Kazooie, but vaguely. What is with Sakurai and picking these obscure characters when there are actual bigger Nintendo characters who should be getting in first? (like Dixie Kong, Rex and Pyra/Mythra, basically any new Zelda rep, etc.)

Well, I guess it's nice for people who do know and like the characters though.

Joker and dragon quest obscure? Yeah no. Persona 5 is by far one of the best selling jrpgs of current year(selling well over 2.7 million copies) with boatloads of spinoffs and other things. It’s definitely not obscure. And dragon quest? Well let’s just say a jrpg like that is not allowed to be released on school days in Japan cause of how no one would show up cause they’re too busy playing it. It is the best selling jrpg in Japan. Final fantasy only beats it do to western sales and popularity. Expand your horizons a bit ana. These are some great and popular franchises. Persona is probably my favorite jrpg franchise(with persona 4 being my personal favorite game of all time) 

18 minutes ago, Jave said:

People in this thread calling SNK “obscure”. 

SMH so much, dude. 

It's not exactly wrong though, they're not as well known as they were in their heyday.

At least in the U.S. anyway, I've heard they're a bigger deal in Latin America.

8 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

It's not exactly wrong though, they're not as well known as they were in their heyday.

At least in the U.S. anyway, I've heard they're a bigger deal in Latin America.

That doesn’t make them obscure though. SNK is  probably the biggest arcade developer ever and the King of Fighters series is still going on relatively well among fighting game circles. 

I mean do you even consider characters like Terry Bogard or Mai Shiranui to be obscure? Even if the Switch is your first and only console, SNK games are all over the eShop. 

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

It sounds like your gaming portfolio doesn't extend far beyond Nintendo platforms. And in some cases, you are factually incorrect.

We've owned Playstations and Xboxes though, and several games for them. So...

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I know why Rex isn't getting in, I was just using him as an example.

Are you sure? I'd never heard of Joker at all before he was announced, I was literally going "who is this?" As for Banjo, a beloved N64 classic? I'd never heard of him until maybe a few years ago.

Maybe you just don't pay much attention to other new franchises outside your bubble, because I have no idea how you escaped knowledge of Banjo all this time until "a few years ago".

Persona 5 was a huge hit recently, and 4 was also fairly notable. And yes, Banjo is unquestionably a beloved N64 classic. Ask anyone who loves video games what they think about Banjo, and they'll likely call it a great platformer, maybe talk about whether they prefer the sequel or not, and likely praise Grant Kirkhope's music for the game that made his name well-known among videogame music composers. I'd say it's more notable than DK64, too, and BK's devs made that game as well.

6 hours ago, Flere210 said:

You not knowing a character does not mean that the character is obscure. I can't name any character from Call of Duty, but i doubt that the franchise has no iconic characters. Or i only found out that the minecraft guy is named Steve in the smash-related discussions.

If you ask random gamers they are far, far more likely to know who Joker or who Banjo and Kazooie are, or what Dragon quest is, than to know who Rex is. And the same is true for any prominent SNK fighter, because if you ever played coin-ops, you played them.

I think that even KOS-MOS is more well known than Rex actually. Not that i want her.

I'm not sure about KOS-MOS necessarily. I'd like her a lot, but I'd at least say Xenoblade's popularity has exceeded Xenosaga's, though KOS-MOS is also more popular outside her series for being used in crossovers a fair bit for Namco.

People acting like SNK must be hot shit now that they're in smash bros discussion got me so tired. I imagine the next leak will get people saying "Uh, yeah. THQ is one of the most lucrative publishers across several generations. Have you even played Darksiders? It was basically the next Zelda/God of War/Dark Souls before they went under"

Facts as they are, SNK has virtually no impact on the gaming industry for most of their 21st century history of skirting bankruptcies and repackaging their old games onto digital services like XBLA, Virtual Console, etc while they focused all development on the Pachinko market. It's okay for people to not know or care who they are. But yeah, something has clearly changed with them after their latest buyout a few years ago that returned them to actual video game development. Not too different from Konami's recent history, except Konami hadn't been bought out and also hasn't yet proven themselves with any of their projects.

Edited by Glennstavos

Smash is a celebration of History, not recent history. No one is saying that SNK is big. We are saying that SNK WAS big. And as i mentioned before, i prefer when smash shed light on older franchises rather than when bank of FoTM characters. And Banjo is not exactly relevant today either.

21 hours ago, Anacybele said:

What is with Sakurai and picking these obscure characters when there are actual bigger Nintendo characters who should be getting in first?

Reggie said at the Game Awards that all the DLC characters would be ones from franchises not already represented in the base game. So guess, what? Persona, Dragon Quest and Banjo aren't in the base game. He also that that Joker's appearance in Smash would be representative of the characters chosen for the DLC (i.e. Third Party characters).

19 hours ago, Anacybele said:

As for Banjo, a beloved N64 classic? I'd never heard of him until maybe a few years ago.

Do you live under a rock by any chance?

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

TBH, I would have picked a Guilty Gear or Blazblue rep over a SNK rep any day.

As someone who loves Guilty Gear to death I can understand the sentiment, but overall SNK probably deserves it more in terms of historical significance to the fighting game genre. Though it's surprising that we didn't get a proper Tekken rep first. With Namco co-developing Smash Bros it seems like it would have happened by now.

11 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Reggie said at the Game Awards that all the DLC characters would be ones from franchises not already represented in the base game.

Nope.

He said that they would be new to the Smash series and are characters you would not expect to be in. Nothing about his words said they HAD to be new franchises, even if that's been the case so far.

Man, everyone seems to mix his words up.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:11 AM, Lysithea said:

I do not know what SNK is or stands for, but oh well.

Shin Nihon Kikaku, literally translated as new New Japan Project.

It's worth mentioning that the Chinese company (Leyou Millennium) that bought out SNK back in 2015 has been pushing to get SNK ip in crossovers in order to expand marketing. And they've had quite a few since then. Geese in Tekken, Terry in Fighting EX Layer, Haohmaru in Soul Calibur, Iori in Square's Million Arthur fighting game, and samsho characters in Granblue fantasy. Smash x SNK is surprising, but makes more sense in context.

That being said if there's an SNK rep, I would bet Terry, Mai, Nakoruru, Haohmaru, or Athena. (either classic goddess or Athena Asamiya) Kyo and Iori are also possible picks.

Personally I want Mai, but it seems strange to include a character that shows so much T&A after characters like ZSS and Snake got such a hard booty nerf :' (

or maybe we'll get Kula 😛