Unanswered story questions/cliffhanger even after you played the game? (major spoiler warning)

Timlugia

2 hours ago, LegendOfLoog said:

To answer your question:

Hide contents

Wilhelm was the first Emperor of Adrestia iirc, and Chevalier is the name of a Crest. What exactly that means is anyone’s guess, but I wouldn’t doubt it if their Crests were somehow inside those Golems.

Spoiler

The question wasn't "what do these names mean"; I singled those two out because they're the names of other significant backstory characters.

The other golems are called Iris, Bernhard, Gajus and Luca, for the record.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Seafarer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The question wasn't "what do these names mean"; I singled those two out because they're the names of other significant backstory characters.

The other golems are called Iris, Bernhard, Gajus and Luca, for the record.

Spoiler

Hm, I think the significance is best explained in Crimson Flower. Edelgard mentions during her route that Wilhelm was a co-conspirator with Rhea in creating the false history propagated by the Church of Seiros. I think it’s likely that all of the golems are the same, although I’m not sure what Crests the other ones may have. If not, then they were probably all Rhea’s allies at some point, but now their names are immortalized through those creepy golems. Hopefully it’s expanded on through DLC at least.

Edited by LegendOfLoog

2 hours ago, LegendOfLoog said:
  Hide contents

Hm, I think the significance is best explained in Crimson Flower. Edelgard mentions during her route that Wilhelm was a co-conspirator with Rhea in creating the false history propagated by the Church of Seiros. I think it’s likely that all of the golems are the same, although I’m not sure what Crests the other ones may have. If not, then they were probably all Rhea’s allies at some point, but now their names are immortalized through those creepy golems. Hopefully it’s expanded on through DLC at least.

Spoiler

I was wondering if the other ones were Hubert/Ferdinand/Linhardt/Caspar/Bernadetta's ancestors from Rhea's time, but I forgot that Chevalier was a crest as well, so that may not work.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

When you've been waiting around for a thousand years, what's another twenty between friends? It can sort of be handwaved away since that amount of time is fairly meaningless to a dragon. Probably no point having a pre-pubescent kid running around the monastery when she could just wait for Jeralt to raise Byleth to maturity before acting.

It's also not unlikely that she viewed Byleth as a probable failure in terms of her project, since their existence was just circumstance - an spontaneous act of kindness as opposed to a grand plan. After all, if she was in a rush, she would not have saved Byleth at all. Maybe she would have been content to just let Byleth live and die a normal life as a sort of intermission between more serious attempts at rebirth.

Good point. I guess even if Sothis never awakened in Byleth the most she would have to wait to get the stone back would be a normal human lifespan (50 - 60 years?). 

I'm still holding out hope for a prequel dlc that focuses on Jeralt's and Byleth's missing twenty years. It feels like their is more to Byleth's past that hasn't been revealed. 

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

But what if Byleth died before Sothis awaken? Like he died in a battle and buried in a mass grave? or ship wreck in the sea? Wouldn't her crest stone became lost forever?

Or Rhea was so confident Sothis would save Byleth like the game's opening?

It would probably be really bad. When Jerald lied and said Byleth died he wrote that she was ''in a state'' over the news. 

Though if Rhea had access to the corpse she might be able to yank out the crest stone and just start over. 

4 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was wondering if the other ones were Hubert/Ferdinand/Linhardt/Caspar/Bernadetta's ancestors from Rhea's time, but I forgot that Chevalier was a crest as well, so that may not work.

Spoiler

I think the five besides Wilhelm have the lost Crests, but I’d have to replay Crimson Flower to make sure. In that case, it’d be Aubin, Noa, Chevalier, Ernest, and Timotheos that are associated with the golems. It would also explain why the Crests were lost in that they were likely never given to a human (DLC rumors may disprove this). 

Do we know where Petra had been during the time skip? Because if she were in Fodlan during that time, I can't believe her speech is still like that. Even if you believed somebody would really have that much trouble picking up the common Fodlan language, that view would be debunked via Shamir. A character who had only been in Fodlan for five years (in pre-time skip) and also had to learn the language. Every line of dialogue from her is perfect but in her A support with Byleth she mentions previously having to use the Dagdan language.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Do we know where Petra had been during the time skip? Because if she were in Fodlan during that time, I can't believe her speech is still like that. Even if you believed somebody would really have that much trouble picking up the common Fodlan language, that view would be debunked via Shamir. A character who had only been in Fodlan for five years (in pre-time skip) and also had to learn the language. Every line of dialogue from her is perfect but in her A support with Byleth she mentions previously having to use the Dagdan language.

Every character's in-game bio has a timeline which tells you what they were doing during the timeskip. It's only a threadbare one-sentence thing (e.g. went to run the family business, went to help their father administer their holdings, etc), but I do believe it says she went back to Brigid.

Might be a different line if you're playing Edelgard's route though, my experience is purely Claude's route.

Edited by Humanoid

12 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Every character's in-game bio has a timeline which tells you what they were doing during the timeskip. It's only a threadbare one-sentence thing (e.g. went to run the family business, went to help their father administer their holdings, etc), but I do believe it says she went back to Brigid.

Might be a different line if you're playing Edelgard's route though, my experience is purely Claude's route.

Good call. I'm in Edelgard's route so I'll check

1181 (a year after Byleth goes missing): "Becomes involved with the Imperial army as a visiting general of Brigid."

1185: "reassigned to Garreg Mach when the Black Eagle Strike Force is formed"

Yep, that's what I feared. The word "visiting" confirms she's been in Fodlan the entire time. Only having returned home for one year at maximum.

Edited by Glennstavos

12 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Good call. I'm in Edelgard's route so I'll check

1181 (a year after Byleth goes missing): "Becomes involved with the Imperial army as a visiting general of Brigid."

1185: "reassigned to Garreg Mach when the Black Eagle Strike Force is formed"

Yep, that's what I feared. The word "visiting" confirms she's been in Fodlan the entire time. Only having returned home for one year at maximum.

Turns out it's no better in GD after all:

1181 - Returns to Fodlan and throws herself into fighting the Empire.

These throwaway lines are pretty boring and generic mostly, with a few exceptions. Raphael runs a restaurant. Hilda and Linhardt just bum around. Confusingly Sylvain and Felix fight the Dukedom despite being recruited, filthy traitors. Then just decide to instantly stop when we get back I guess. Weird.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:24 AM, Timlugia said:

But what if Byleth died before Sothis awaken? Like he died in a battle and buried in a mass grave? or ship wreck in the sea? Wouldn't her crest stone became lost forever?

Or Rhea was so confident Sothis would save Byleth like the game's opening?

Didn't Jeralt make it look like Byleth was dead before he left the monastery? When you first meet Rhea, Jeralt pretends Byleth was born from a different woman rather  than his real mom.

5 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Confusingly Sylvain and Felix fight the Dukedom despite being recruited, filthy traitors. Then just decide to instantly stop when we get back I guess. Weird.

Why wouldn't they fight for their families against a coup d'etat inflicted on their homeland when in most routes the only people at war are the Empire and Kingdom? That they join up with you when you wake up makes sense since you're the one having the greatest effect on stopping the Empire?

Playing BL now, just got post-timeskip. Why the hell is Felix willing to still follow Dimitri after the Holy Tomb? The boar just confirmed his real nature in front of the whole class, so they can't pretend he was exaggerating about what he'd been saying this whole time. They had at one point planned that he would defect, and I wish they had stuck with it. Make him like Lorenz, when he leaves if you had him but returns if you defeat him later with Byleth.

17 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Playing BL now, just got post-timeskip. Why the hell is Felix willing to still follow Dimitri after the Holy Tomb? The boar just confirmed his real nature in front of the whole class, so they can't pretend he was exaggerating about what he'd been saying this whole time. They had at one point planned that he would defect, and I wish they had stuck with it. Make him like Lorenz, when he leaves if you had him but returns if you defeat him later with Byleth.

cause he's a tsundere that's why. For as much Felix says he doesn't like Dimitri, He does care about the prince. His post timeskip monastery dialogue gives a great deal of insight on that actually.

1 hour ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Because him and Annette leaving was cut from the game.

Edited by CyberNinja

Just now, Sid Starkiller said:

No shit! I said as such in my post! I was asking why.

The AM route split is cut from the game and thus non-canon, so we don't consider it as part of his character: He hates the Empire more than he hates Dimitri, unless you're doing Crimson Flower. That and his friends are there now, and he's actually less edgy than his pre-time skip. Regardless, he doesn't actually hate Dimitri, but you haven't finished the route so I don't why you're here asking this now, the answer is in the available content if you bother.

21 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

The AM route split is cut from the game and thus non-canon, so we don't consider it as part of his character: He hates the Empire more than he hates Dimitri, unless you're doing Crimson Flower. That and his friends are there now, and he's actually less edgy than his pre-time skip. Regardless, he doesn't actually hate Dimitri, but you haven't finished the route so I don't why you're here asking this now, the answer is in the available content if you bother.

Cut AM route split? Care to enlighten me about that? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, nhaer042 said:

Didn't Jeralt make it look like Byleth was dead before he left the monastery? When you first meet Rhea, Jeralt pretends Byleth was born from a different woman rather  than his real mom.

I understood this is why Byleth doesn’t know how old they since Jeralt spun a story about a second wife that never existed. 

Also, an interesting bit that is skimmed over is Rhea’s clone attempts were aware of their status as failed clones to revive Sothis. At least Byleth’s mother was informed as she knew to ask Rhea to use her crest to save her stillborn baby.

It’s possible that Rhea’s choice to let Jeralt run free with Byleth was an experiment to see if Sothis would revive under those different living circumstances as raising and working with the clones directly had failed 12 times to that point. 

2 hours ago, Altrosa said:

I understood this is why Byleth doesn’t know how old they since Jeralt spun a story about a second wife that never existed. 

Also, an interesting bit that is skimmed over is Rhea’s clone attempts were aware of their status as failed clones to revive Sothis. At least Byleth’s mother was informed as she knew to ask Rhea to use her crest to save her stillborn baby.

It’s possible that Rhea’s choice to let Jeralt run free with Byleth was an experiment to see if Sothis would revive under those different living circumstances as raising and working with the clones directly had failed 12 times to that point. 

I always found it interesting Rhea was able to maintain self control rather than something drastic (like suicide) when she believed the crest was forever lost in the fire, yet going mad in Crimson Flower.

--------

Did the game ever explained why could Nemesis summon zombie soldiers? Pretty sure it's something unique for him rather than TWSITD tech, or they would just use it against us earlier. Why couldn't others like Rhea or Byleth able to summon the dead?

Edited by Timlugia