Unanswered story questions/cliffhanger even after you played the game? (major spoiler warning)

Timlugia

13 hours ago, Timlugia said:

I always found it interesting Rhea was able to maintain self control rather than something drastic (like suicide) when she believed the crest was forever lost in the fire, yet going mad in Crimson Flower.

The mental break in CF seemed to be due to the triple whammy of the betrayal, the loss of Sothis and the war. Those are her three big triggers and CF Byleth pushed every single one of them.

Can a crest be destroyed in a fire? If not, then she could have still retrieved it from a dead Byleth (that's kind of a gruesome thought) but maybe not, since Jeralt's diary said that she was in a state over the news that the baby was dead. Of course, he disappeared so we don't know what she went through once he was gone or how long it took her to realize that he'd lied and skipped town with the "dead" baby. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/1/2019 at 7:06 PM, unusual diaeresis said:

- Where do Javelins of Light come from. Who fires it and how? Why can't they fire it all the time?

I've seen a lot of people refer to the javelins as missiles, but looking closely at them in cut scenes show that they aren't being propelled by thrust. Considering that the javelin looked like it was undergoing re-entry burn, my theory is that the Javelins of Light are a form of kinetic orbital bombardment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

Tl:dr is that you put a couple of telephone pole sized rods made of tungsten into orbit and drop them over your target. The acceleration from gravity ends up causing an impact comparable to a small nuke.

To me, this fits the description of the Javelins pretty well, and kind of explains a few other things; 

The reason the Agarthans don't just drops these whenever they want, since they have a limited number of these things waiting in orbit, with no way to send more up without drawing attention to themselves.

The purple rings that surround the Javelin as it falls are likely some form of magical guidance system, which is what Sothis' protection around the monastery likely jammed or redirected to cause the Valley of Torment.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, LilyRose said:

The mental break in CF seemed to be due to the triple whammy of the betrayal, the loss of Sothis and the war. Those are her three big triggers and CF Byleth pushed every single one of them.

Can a crest be destroyed in a fire? If not, then she could have still retrieved it from a dead Byleth (that's kind of a gruesome thought) but maybe not, since Jeralt's diary said that she was in a state over the news that the baby was dead. Of course, he disappeared so we don't know what she went through once he was gone or how long it took her to realize that he'd lied and skipped town with the "dead" baby. 

Rhea doesn’t completely shatter mentally until after the fight that leaves Seteth (and possibly Flayn) dead when they attempt to reclaim the monastery. She had her remaining family die brutally to another human wielding a sword and crest made from her mother’s remains. 

I think at that point Rhea’s remaining faith in humanity was gone, and her actions from then onward had the side effect of giving Edelgard plenty of justification for the war to destroy the church and reunify Fodlan without it. 

EDIT: (Found out Seteth and Flayn both can flee, but they have to abandon Rhea, so the sentiment still stands)

Edited by Altrosa

• 3 weeks later...

The game also left a big mystery on Agarthan Crest, we know TWSITD has their own crests outside Nabatean system, even Hanneman commented so

Did Agarthan came up ability to create their own crest? Did they use dragon blood (or even captives) for some experiment like Forneus? Did they also have a dragon (either willingly or unwilling participant) on their side?

18 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Did Agarthan came up ability to create their own crest? Did they use dragon blood (or even captives) for some experiment like Forneus? Did they also have a dragon (either willingly or unwilling participant) on their side?

Hope the Abyss mode sheds light on that possibility, for sure.

So does Edelgard actually know Thales is someone masquerading as Arundel, or does she actually believe Thales is her uncle? She refers to him as uncle even as he is openly acting as Thales as in the siege of Gareg Mach and when she is in private with Byleth and Hubert in Crimson Flower. Is there really a difference to her either way? Normally I wouldn't ask this but since her view of history is warped and incorrect, I actually wonder if she truly thinks her uncle is one of them rather than someone who was replaced by the Agarthan leader. Or, quite possibly, could her uncle and mother have actually been Agarthans who killed some nobles long ago? Doubtful since Dimitri's research has Arundel's behavior change dramatically in a short time but Edelgard's mother still remains an open plot thread, we simply assume she died later on or during Duscur even though she assisted in the planning and her carriage showed no signs of attack.

20 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

So does Edelgard actually know Thales is someone masquerading as Arundel, or does she actually believe Thales is her uncle? She refers to him as uncle even as he is openly acting as Thales as in the siege of Gareg Mach and when she is in private with Byleth and Hubert in Crimson Flower. Is there really a difference to her either way? Normally I wouldn't ask this but since her view of history is warped and incorrect, I actually wonder if she truly thinks her uncle is one of them rather than someone who was replaced by the Agarthan leader. Or, quite possibly, could her uncle and mother have actually been Agarthans who killed some nobles long ago? Doubtful since Dimitri's research has Arundel's behavior change dramatically in a short time but Edelgard's mother still remains an open plot thread, we simply assume she died later on or during Duscur even though she assisted in the planning and her carriage showed no signs of attack.

I think she believes that Arundel hasn't been replaced. I don't think she's ever witnessed the transformation between appearances, and it's not really clear if she actually saw Thales in the siege of Garreg Mach. She describes the group he's a part of as her uncle's forces iirc, but from what I can tell, she likely thinks that Thales is just a leading member of the group Arundel is involved with. In Hubert's Paralogue, he basically admits that he and Edelgard know next to nothing about TWSITD, so it seems to me that Edelgard doesn't know the "mystery of their bodies" as Thales puts it. 

Only played AM and CF yet but do they ever give more hints about slitherers', err, biology? Solon and Thales look like someone who might be extending their lifespan by magical/magitech means. Kronya's heart was used as a tool to perform a ritual and Thales says something about the secret of their bodies. They steal various people's identites but are they shapeshifters or something else?

Could it be that agarthians' possession works exactly like Rhea's intended ritual for reviving Sothis? Imagine if Agarthians don't even have natural bodies anymore and exist as some kind of personality cores. Once the core gets implanted into intended person it completely overwrites their personality. So yes, Kronya uses Monica's body and Solon uses Tomas'. 

Was Patricia an agarthian mole from the very beginning?

9 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

So does Edelgard actually know Thales is someone masquerading as Arundel, or does she actually believe Thales is her uncle?

I got the impression that she knows but just never blows his cover while Byleth is present.

Edited by Cat Villager

23 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

So does Edelgard actually know Thales is someone masquerading as Arundel, or does she actually believe Thales is her uncle?

Based on all story dialogue she has, there's nothing to suggests she knows he's Thales. Just that he's connected to Those who Slither. HOWEVER

When you defeat Edelgard on all church defense maps, she calls for the reserve troops and to "give my uncle the signal." However Arundel is nowhere to be scene in the cutscene, instead it's Thales who shows up and blasts you into 5 years of hybernation. But that's probably just a coincidence?

13 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

At one point in CF Hubert explicitly calls him Thales (right after the bombing of Arianrhod). I can't imagine Hubert knowing and Edelgard not.

Source? I don't believe that's ever directly stated so much as heavily suggested, considering the story evidence and same voice actor.

I had the time wrong, but I'm checking cutscenes on Youtube. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: OK, it was the Tailtean Plains fight:

I misremembered a bit, but when the first Kingdom soldier turns into a Demonic Beast, Hubert briefly suspects Thales gave them some crest stones. Given how closely they've been working with Slither (Thales appears in his true form speaking with the Flame Emperor after Kronya kills Jeralt, with his text boxes labeled "Thales" and not "???"), surely Hubert must know who he is. And if Hubert knows, Edelgard knows.

Edited by Sid Starkiller

On 9/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, Silverly said:

Why does Edelgard simply throw Rhea in a dungeon in every route other than her own when one of her TOP PRIORITIES (at least displayed in Crimson Flower) is to kill her and destroy the church? 

I know Rhea is needed for exposition at least in Verdant Wind and Silver Snow but wow it makes no sense for Edelgard

Edelgard gives Rhea multiple chances to surrender in Crimson Flower and she seems to be sincere about it. 

Extrapolating from real world examples where secular rulers fought against spiritual authorities, Rhea is probably more useful as a political puppet who defers to Edelgard than as a martyr who will inspire generations of Sothis worshipers to resist Edelgard to the bitter end. Stripped of her political power, Rhea could also be a useful ally against TWSITD.

If nothing else, most of Edelgard's subjects and supporters probably believe in the Church to some extent. Letting the archbishop live (albeit with vastly reduced political power) might be one of the conditions of their continued support. 

Edited by MoralityGames

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2019 at 8:17 AM, MoralityGames said:

Edelgard gives Rhea multiple chances to surrender in Crimson Flower and she seems to be sincere about it. 

Extrapolating from real world examples where secular rulers fought against spiritual authorities, Rhea is probably more useful as a political puppet who defers to Edelgard than as a martyr who will inspire generations of Sothis worshipers to resist Edelgard to the bitter end. Stripped of her political power, Rhea could also be a useful ally against TWSITD.

If nothing else, most of Edelgard's subjects and supporters probably believe in the Church to some extent. Letting the archbishop live (albeit with vastly reduced political power) might be one of the conditions of their continued support. 

That would be a rational solution except that Edelgard is a teensy bit racist against dragons. 

Letting some dragon lady who subjugated mankind for thousand years(according to Edelgard at least) have any position of power would likely be unthinkable to Edelgard, regardless of how many real power that position would have. Rhea's surrender would likely result in exile from Fodlan or house arrest. 

On 9/23/2019 at 12:22 PM, MaryQueen99 said:

I just thought another question, about the Byleth in the Crimson Flower ending

Hide contents

Why does Byleth survive? If I understand correctly, Byleth was dead at birth and if he is alives now it's just thanks to the crest. But in the ending the crest disappear and Byleth heart start beating for the first time. 

I mean, I'm happy it ended that way but I don't understand why. 

Spoiler

Didn’t Byleth’s heart start beating earlier in the story when they awakened Sothis’s power? I assume Byleth survives because their heart was functioning normally by the end of CF route.

On 11/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, PokéStarz said:
  Hide contents

Didn’t Byleth’s heart start beating earlier in the story when they awakened Sothis’s power? I assume Byleth survives because their heart was functioning normally by the end of CF route.

You know I figured it'd be self evident when you have a cutscenes showing a non beating heart, Edelgard reacting to that lack of beating and the emphasis on the disappearance of the crest stone to all indicate that the heart was not beating until after that moment. 

There are specific events when Byleths heart beats briefly and it usually is due to a major emotional turning event symbolizing him making a real human/personal choice or it results In him passing out.

4 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

You know I figured it'd be self evident when you have a cutscenes showing a non beating heart, Edelgard reacting to that lack of beating and the emphasis on the disappearance of the crest stone to all indicate that the heart was not beating until after that moment. 

There are specific events when Byleths heart beats briefly and it usually is due to a major emotional turning event symbolizing him making a real human/personal choice or it results In him passing out.

Speaking of the ending, I think it's interesting that Crimson Flower final chapter was known as "To the end of a dream", while Silver Snow is "Following a Dream"

The dream here is obviously refereeing to Sothis, since she's known as Girl in the Dream

On 12/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, Timlugia said:

Speaking of the ending, I think it's interesting that Crimson Flower final chapter was known as "To the end of a dream", while Silver Snow is "Following a Dream"

The dream here is obviously refereeing to Sothis, since she's known as Girl in the Dream

Doesn't Sothis technically survive, regardless of route?

I think it would make more sense if the "dream" represents her legacy instead.

8 hours ago, Modirufa6317 said:

Doesn't Sothis technically survive, regardless of route?

I think it would make more sense if the "dream" represents her legacy instead.

Do we know if she "survives" in Crimson Flower? (without S support) Her heart was broken and disappeared.

Even her S support in CF was considered by many as bad fan service, since it's so disconnected to the rest of the game.

You are unable to read all of the parts of a specific book/doctrine in the library because...why?

I can’t remember which one it is, I believe it is the founding of the Church? But it goes 1, 2, then 5 I think.  What information is the game hiding from us?

On 9/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, CelestialContrail said:

Since Cornelia never pulled off her coup in that timeline, Dimitri's uncle - who was acting as Regent while Dimitri was too young to take the throne - wasn't killed so that Dimitri could be framed for his murder and thus is presumably still alive.

He didn’t have a crest though... anyway Sylvain confirms in his paralogue that the regent loves to run off with other women, so I guess Dimitri has faith in a bastard heir? 

This just raises the question of how long does it take for the Crest bloodline to run out... or there would be a lot more Blaiddyds Dimitri doesn’t even know exist/are not directly in the Royal lineage I guess...

On 12/4/2019 at 7:45 PM, Timlugia said:

Do we know if she "survives" in Crimson Flower? (without S support) Her heart was broken and disappeared.

Even her S support in CF was considered by many as bad fan service, since it's so disconnected to the rest of the game.

I remember someone saying that her dialogue actually change in CF to mention the lacking crest stone.

I know her S-support is pretty much played as a joke, but I have a hard time believing they would create such a very obvious plot-hole, when they've clearly made sure that that the story remains as consistent as possible until then.