Do people feel that the remakes of the first three games make the originals redundant or obsolete?

Nerrox

2 hours ago, Cornguy said:

I think the old games are still worth playing. They play differently enough from their respective remakes, and it can also be really enjoyable to compare and contrast the old games with their remakes. Also just generally enjoy going back to the old animations. But I understand that you zoomers might not care about grandpa's pixels, and maybe playing back in the ages of sparse dialogue and no female "infantry" units is unappealing. And I mean that genuinely, the nostalgia definitely contributes when you go back, and a lot of newer players and gamers wouldn't have that same attachment. 

Reveal hidden contents

The NES games can be a slog sometimes. I was born with the SNES, the NES was literally at Grandpa's house.

Even with the remakes, I still wish they'd translate the old games to release them to the eshop outside Japan. They could literally look at the credits on a translation patch and buy them, hell they could probably use them for free, just literally have anyone playtest it to touch anything up. But it's Intelligent Systems, which is Nintendo, and Nintendo don't play that way.

Holy Moses is there really no female infantry in the first three games? Well obviously there's female mages, and Celica uses a sword. Tiki is also infantry (though calling her an armoured vehicle might be more appropriate, and a fighter jet in FE3). But are there no female archers or swordsman? None come to mind. Any that do like Athena or whatsherface archer in the Shadow Dragon prologue were added in the remake. Huh. This... actually seems somewhat realistic, for a given definition of realism. Not upset it was dropped though. Variety is better than realism.

FE1 and 2 are nearly unplayable with how slow and impregnable they are with some of their design. If you have no attachment to these games before their remakes, there's absolutely no reason to play them. FE2 is especially bad.

FE11 still kinda sucks, but is MUCH more playable than the original FE1, and Shadows of Valentia took the steaming mess that was Gaiden and actually turned it into an enjoyable game.

As for FE3/12, that's the one that isn't a definitive replacement. The original FE3 is about where the series starts feeling playable, even by modern standards, and handles its story better than FE12 does. I'd still rather play FE12, but that's just personal preference.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Holy Moses is there really no female infantry in the first three games? Well obviously there's female mages, and Celica uses a sword. Tiki is also infantry (though calling her an armoured vehicle might be more appropriate, and a fighter jet in FE3). But are there no female archers or swordsman? None come to mind. Any that do like Athena or whatsherface archer in the Shadow Dragon prologue were added in the remake. Huh. This... actually seems somewhat realistic, for a given definition of realism. Not upset it was dropped though. Variety is better than realism.

I noticed it in The Last Promise before I realized it was like that in the old games. TLP has the lone female sniper at endgame, I think that was made me go back and look for whatever reason.

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

There's Sheena, unless being an armor means not quite infantry, as in light-foot infantry.

The female mages in Gaiden, just like in the remake, could gain swords on promotion, unless that also doesn't count due to their mage origins.

Oh, yeah, third game had dismounting... but I guess that ain't really counts, either.

Edited by Acacia Sgt