Special Heroes for 9/6/19!

NoirCore

42 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Ah screw it whatever, Nephenee has a Bow and can Dance

This reminds of a very minor line they could possibly reference:

Nephenee: I know what ya mean, Brom! There weren’t even enough gear for us! They gave me a bow and told me to share it with another gal. But neither one of us knew how to use it, anyhow.

45 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting all of them, but Rein is priority. That said, I REALLY wouldn't mind if IS remembered that Leif existed and is the actual lord of Thracia. Seriously, game?

Though I stand somewhat at odds on Dire Thunderboy, I stand in solidarity on Leif! Certainly my favorite of the Marthian/Marthlike/Marthesque lords deserves better. Him having 50 HP, 2 Move procs, 10 Mag, and 20 everything else not Con was partly luck (at least one Move proc came during Manster Escape, partly favoritism. ^_^

But, none of the Jugdrali lords have yet to get anything. Not even Siggy, who has the best gameplay performance, and therefore possible popularity.

That we're starting to get some Jugdral alts is the thin ray of light to which we must cling for the present.

33 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Is it really a bad thing that Reinhardt is popular?

Sure, he was just a minor character in Thracia, but come on, if he’s popular let people enjoy it.

I'd just more of other people in Thracia. Sure its characters don't have much substance, but FEH doesn't care too much about that, does it? Eyvel, Dagda, Asbel, Galzus, Pan, I'd like them all.

28 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Second, she's still wearing that helmet... I am confused.

Nephenee can never lose the helmet, it is the forbidden fruit, to see her uncovered ruins the magic temptation that breeds boundless desire.

And, removing the helmet unseals the black hole in her brain, which will then immediately consume the current dimension and 100 adjacent ones. It will take the cooperation of 2300 other dimensions to reseal it.

But, the truth is much simpler- nobody at IS wants to think about what she'd look like without it, they're too lazy. So they never commission her without the helmet. And if she does take it off, expect her to be wearing one of those old diving suits with the giant metal helmet and small facial window instead. If they go for Fire Emblem on Mars the Seasonal, a bulky astronaut helmet with heavy and carefully placed glare on the glass visor. Or she'll be a sports mascot, so you can't see anything at all.

23 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

because he's a good unit (he was an NPC, which now that I think about it a few people were saying that Rinea didn't deserve more than this alt because she was an NPC).

A minor villain who gets hyped up a whole lot with backstory prior to physical appearances, the first of which in Chapter 20 amounts to commanding an enemy general at the start before leaving the map for elsewhere. And then on Chapter 22, you finally get to fight him.

Reinhardt is actually very threatening in gameplay. 35 Atkx2 hitting the single-digit Res of most units is very likely to be fatal. He can swap to the Meisterschwert if you try going at him with a Mage instead. And he has Vantage and three other good skills in his arsenal. And, he and Saias together give him and every other enemy on the map more than 30 extra Hit and Avoid.

He is plenty beatable when you weigh your options. But that you have to think about how you'll kill or Warpskip past him, is indicative of him as being one of the most threatening bosses in all of Thracia itself.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, redlight said:

Not a fan of dancers being made into combat units.

Anyways, looks like Rinea's tome might have the same effect as Nephenee's bow meaning she's sort of like NY!Corrin, but a dancer. And that's a good thing.

Really glad she's the free unit. Getting beautiful art for free and a dancer at the same time is nice.

.... but how else do you use them then?
(I am being dead serious. all of my dancers are combat units. - they need to be able to take (and give) hits). (it's why Ninian drives me crazy because she can't do either lol)

34 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

He basically killed Thracia banners by becoming a meme.

Believe me, the Leif banner would have sold terribly even if we had a summonable Finn instead of Reinhardt. It isn't because of him that IS doesn't trust Thracia characters to sell.

26 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

From my point of view (don't take it as fact), Rein isn't popular because he's a good character (IMO he's just a slightly more developed Camus in an age of characters not having much characterization) or because he was memorable in any way (admittedly I don't really know how popular he was before Heroes, but as a character in a Japanese FE game that's already most of his potential audience being limited) or because he's a good unit (he was an NPC, which now that I think about it a few people were saying that Rinea didn't deserve more than this alt because she was an NPC).
It was because "lol Dire Death Blow Thunder gamez cheeze" in this game specifically.

Honestly, even if the fact he is OP is the reason for his popularity, it doesn't mean that after he became popular they did not try to do more with his characters. They explored pretty much all sides of his personality that were already present in the original game: his affection for his sister Olwen and for Ishtar, his happiness to see that Olwen has grown and become indipendent, his doubts about following orders he doesn't believe in and that go against his chivalrous personality, his low-key admiration for the underdog that somehow manages to win, also known as Leif. 

I can totally buy that people became interested in him because of his lines in Heroes. I know I did.

In fact people fell in love with his character and backstory so much that they thought it would be marketable to appeal to the niche ship of master-retainer he has with Ishtar. This kind of ship-baiting is usually reserved to main characters like IkexSoren in valentine banner, CamillaxTakumi in Summer and New Year Banner, LilinaxRoy in Valentine...

SigrunxTanith in June's Brides

Edited by GrandeRampel

I'm not advocating against Rein or anything. Hell, if/when they make a Thracia remake, I'd be down for Rein to be recruitable and give a chance to deepen him, or even just a few extra chances to learn his preferred type of light reading. 

But the fact is, most people didn't know who he was until he combined magic, death blow, and Dire Thunder with good Atk and cav movement.

Even so, is it really a problem that he’s popular for being OP?

Not saying it’s happening in this thread, but telling that a character shouldn’t be popular only because they’re OP borders dangerously close to gatekeeping. 

If people want to enjoy a character because they’re OP, let them.

About Neph. Her helmet is just the biggest meme.

We had characters who played the fish out of water before (Tharja trying to be "normal" and enjoy Christmas invented the wheel, Catria begging us to not question her appearance perfected it) but Nephenee takes it up to 11. I was on the floor laughing when I saw her stupid-ass helmet. I found silly outfits amusing before, but never like this. I LOVE THISSSSS!!! I NEED EVERY CHARACTER HERE, BUT I DON'T HAZ ORBSSSS!!!!!

But I can totally see people hating it. It's the kind of stuff I would have hated in a main game. If for some reason during the plot of PoR or RD Nephenee was forced to attend a ballroom, or an important ceremony or something, and they still let her keep her dumb helmet I would have groaned and blame it on not wanting to spend resources to give her another portrait.

But in the context of FEH I can accept it.

Screw logic! Let's just embrace the insanity!

15 minutes ago, charcoalswift said:

Leif looks like a Tear Ring Saga character tbh

He in fact looks a lot like the TRS Main Character.

42 minutes ago, charcoalswift said:

Leif looks like a Tear Ring Saga character tbh

I wouldn't call it coincidence. Kaga made Runan closer to Marth in writing I'd say, but Leif is a close second in inspiration. And the blackish-brown or brownish-black hair of Runan was a replacement for his earlier planned blue hair. 

latest?cb=20160724150927

TRS has so many characters that feature elements of old FE ones I could make a list:

Spoiler
  1. Runan is Marth/Leif like of course.
  2. Lionheart the Coyote Wolf of the Plains like Hardin.
  3. Sennet, the lost prince of Rigel Canaan.
  4. Tia the lost princess of Zofia Leda.
  5. Sasha, the Pegasus Princess of Talys Wellt.
  6. Verna, Martel, and Frau are Palla, Catria, and Est with the youngest and eldest swapping hair colors.
  7. Eugen advisor to Runan is like Malladus/Jagen/Augustus/Dorius.
  8. Vega is a flat-out Navarre.
  9. Kriess and Arkis are Cain and Abel.
  10. Raquel is called "a daughter of Brigid, Goddess of Archery" and is a Sniper.
  11. Dancers are associated with the seedy underbelly of society.
  12. Narcus can mimic the appearance and partly the stats of other units, like Xane.
  13. Maruj is Merric, with Wundergust being a copy of Excalibur.
  14. Meriel is Linde with Starlight and Aura Rain.
  15. Alicia is Ishtar with Olwen/Reinhardt's tome.
  16. Rishel is a redhead fire mage like Arvis and Azelle and Sunflame gives +10 Def like Valflame.
  17. Katrina is a Swordmaster woman who raised royalty- Sennet and Neyfa- as her own children, like Eyvel.
  18. Richard looks like Travant.
  19. Julius behaves and fights like Travant.
  20. The Zoan people have been persecuted like the Loptians after the Loptian Empire was destroyed.
  21. Prior to Gerxel's appearance, there was a prosperous republic in Lieberia.
  22. The late Prince Arless of Canaan led a powerful group of soldiers called the Black Knights.
  23. Guenchaos has elements of Gharnef in that he is wasted good potential and was a dear friend to other Sages. And running the Cult of Gerxel makes him like Manfroy.
  24. Sage Morse in lore is like Gotoh.
  25. Spoilers stuff I can't say that are more parallels.

26. This unnamed girl runs the TRS Secret Shops:

latest?cb=20170302120713

I wish IS bought whoever has the rights to TRS, so they could put those characters in this game. I want Holmes, and Shigen, and Rishel, and Raquel, and Raffin, and Renee. And...

36 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Even so, is it really a problem that he’s popular for being OP?

Not saying it’s happening in this thread, but telling that a character shouldn’t be popular only because they’re OP borders dangerously close to gatekeeping. 

If people want to enjoy a character because they’re OP, let them.

Yeah, I can do that. I do. I've had my own flings with this too, including very recently Sunflame!. Cannot deny its part of anyone's liking for Haar either.

Depth, looks, surface charm, gameplay abilities, good idea (if bad execution) with potential; people do deserve to like characters for whatever reasons they want to. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kaga made Runan closer to Marth in writing I'd say, but Leif is a close second in inspiration. And the blackish-brown or brownish-black hair of Runan was a replacement for his earlier planned blue hair. 

Marth but wearing pants 😉

Oh.

The trailer.

I needed a way to not get spoiled by this thread.

Wait, Rinea's not on the banner? HUH?

Ishtar is though, as a red flying unit with Mogprasir (Like Elincia's weapon), Dance (It is that banner), Swift Sparrow 3, Desperation and Air Orders. Berkut is a Lance Infantry (WHY DO WE GET NO REGULAR ONE) with Vardandi (Gives +4 to allie's stats when dancing them (Powercreep is real, RIP Nohrzura)) Dance, B!Duel Infrantry and Distant Guard (He's probably the worst and I'd still like to have a lance infantry in the regular pool for once). Nephenee (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-) is a Colourless Bow infantry with a Fiddlestick Bow (Usual flier effectiveness, gives Def/Res +4 to allies in 2 spaces when they fight 1 range enemies), Dance, Caldera Dance and Spd Tactic (Again, gimme). Reinhardt (Now has two more than Leif. Fucking hell.) is a fliying green tome (DREIHARDT) with Vafprudnir (Daimthunder), Dance, DB3 (No DB4?), Chill Def and Joint Hone Atk (Been ages since this was last being used in some form). Rinea also shows up as a blue infantry tome (All's well that ends well.)

This banner stings hard. I'd frankly take any o these skill wise, but the last dancing banner fucking broke my orbs for the legendary and CYL and I didn't even get Danciah. I'm going off to sing a lament.

Edited by Dayni

Oh right my opinions...

>To be quite frank, what's the point of Ishtar? Not in a "why does she exist, there are many units who do what she does better" way, but she is a combat unit, but also a Dancer?
Just the fact that she's a dancer means she will be weaker than any other unit in the same role, but don't give her a Brave weapon to make up the difference, cause that just means she'll be unique in the role from then on. She'll be good if her stats are min-maxed to hell and back...

>If this were a normal unit banner, I could see Berkut being the dropped unit with B Dual Infantry being the dropped skill. Just... nothing about him screams "amazing". And why does the first Infantry Lance we get in a long time have to be a Dancer?

>Her being a Bow Dancer already makes her a valuable unit, but otherwise Nephenee's kinda... okay-ish I guess?

>I have the sour feeling that they're gonna give Reinhardt as much Attack as they legally can... I mean, they were just one step short of giving him Death Blow 4, but instead opted to introduce Joint Hone Atk with him. Why wouldn't they make him the strongest Flying Green Mage they can?

>We know nothing about Rinea right now. I think her weapon is a fan, and her outfit almost looks like her normal outfit enough that I thought it was her normal outfit, but otherwise what we know is that there's gonna be another TT.

I'm just happy for Berkut and Rinea.

I do wish it was Julius instead of Reinhardt and that Nephenee was dropped or replaced by a villain.

This banner could've been a great antagonistic dance banner but alas. 

It's not bad though, I'm still pulling for Berkut and Ishtar.

Hey, a lance infantry unit. It's been almost two years since we had another lance infantry added into FEH. The last one was apparently Shiro.

Dancer Nephenee continuing to wear her helmet is both hilarious and adorable. They should totally make an armor alt of her one day where she's not wearing her helmet. Straight up fully-armored like Zelgius, but no helmet like Zelgius. Or give her a helmet with a face guard.

I wonder where the music used in the trailer comes from.

Edit: Ishtar's going to be spilling whatever she's drinking with the way she is holding that goblet.

Edited by Kaden

Well, these are some characters I didn't expect, other than Berkut and Rinea, of course. Is this the first time that one of the silhouettes was the TT unit though? Interesting.

Thank goodness I can pass on the banner, I have basically no orbs. I do really like the art here though!

Wow, this looks pretty nice.. they got us good. We were so focused on certain pairings...

No wonder Julius does not like Reinhardt. Welp, without the bait called Olwen I think I can pass this. Ishtar or Berkut would be nice to have but not characters I need.

Edited by Stroud

A pretty decent banner. I love seeing Ishtar get a new alt. 

There are some notable absences though. 

I think Julius would have been a much better fit than Rheinhard. It would further the ''good girl and bad boy'' theme presented by Berkut and Rhinea. 

Also poor Nephenee is lonely. What I wouldn't give for a dancer Brom