The Road to S+ - Best Way To Achieve this

daisy jane

I finally managed to get Ingrid to S+ in Flying in my 4th Playthrough (by the last chapter when it didn't even matter because there was like no bows so. like woo). But the one thing i noticed is how on the online visitors how many people have S+ already at like level 35 or something.  the Highest i've ever gotten was S for units that are obvious (Sword for Felix, Bow for Ignatz etc). 

Right now in my 2nd GD Run - and I'd really like to try to get S-S+s on a few people. but what's the exact best way to achieve this if you wanna dip in other classes?
Is there a great time to have the students focus solely on one thing? (but i usually use this to help them get qualifications for other courses or  - authority). or for units who need to have other other requirements (for stat growths, or skills, i have to drop lances for example for a bit so she can get high B in Swords to be a mercenary/swordmaster). -vs just having her live on a flying horse

I keep reading how easy this is - so I'd like to see other people's tips and tricks to achieve this and i figure this would benefit others as well. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I ever reached S+ rank, but I can think of a few things how to achieve it. For flying S+ as example:

• Always deploy her as a flying unit
  • Goal set to flying only
  • Tutoring in flying when you get a chance
  • Assign her on a flier group task with somebody
  • Divine Statue of Cichol gives bonus to flying exp for 2000 renown
  • Use the Knowledge Gem

Though honestly I like to focus on the goals for 2 things at the same time. Group tasks doesn't give a lot of exp, it's better to build the support level between the 2 of them. Some classes are better when it comes to gain exp in flying, +2 from Pegasus Knight and +3 from Falcon Knight.

Edited by Garlyle

17 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

I keep reading how easy this is - so I'd like to see other people's tips and tricks to achieve this and i figure this would benefit others as well. 

Um... What...? I've NEVER seen any claims that getting to S+ is easy. And honestly, I think it isn't really worth it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

I don't think I ever reached S+ rank, but I can think of a few things how to achieve it. For flying S+ as example:

• Always deploy her as a flying unit
  • Goal set to flying only
  • Tutoring in flying when you get a chance
  • Assign her on a flier group task with somebody
  • Use the Knowledge Gem

Though honestly I like to focus on the goals for 2 things at the same time. Group tasks doesn't give a lot of exp, it's better to build the support level between the 2 of them. Some classes are better when it comes to gain exp in flying, +2 from Pegasus Knight and +3 from Falcon Knight.

oh i didn't realise some of the classes helped with that too. 
I've been using tutoring to focus on things like authority etc. (then knowledge gem what i need or - just have Said unit use the weapon in the field) - for example, Claude is a Lord - but i still have him learning bows. - not the sword or anything. but i didn't realise you got double xp in specific classes.

thanks!

Just now, daisy jane said:

oh i didn't realise some of the classes helped with that too. 
I've been using tutoring to focus on things like authority etc. (then knowledge gem what i need or - just have Said unit use the weapon in the field) - for example, Claude is a Lord - but i still have him learning bows. - not the sword or anything. but i didn't realise you got double xp in specific classes.

thanks!

Also I just realized after your post that the Divine Statue of Cichol gives bonus to flying exp for 2000 renown.

Honestly, I'm also going to test these things out, as I rather went to unlock support conversations instead of meme builds.

2 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Also I just realized after your post that the Divine Statue of Cichol gives bonus to flying exp for 2000 renown.

Honestly, I'm also going to test these things out, as I rather went to unlock support conversations instead of meme builds.

I did this in my first few runs. 
now it's time for like. "builds." (I am trying not to spend all my renown if i can help it, i tend to just buy back my professorship so i can do crap faster/easier), and when i play Blue Lions i blow 1200 on getting Hilda asap so i can build her to be Amazing. using the new SF recruit guide i realised i didn't have to buy Mercedes, Linhardt and Caspar (well i did spend 800 renown for those two for te B supports unlocked to lower my heavy armour/brawling requirements - but i didn't have to purchase Bernie or Mercedes or Ingrid which i tend to do)

too many things to teach! SO LITTLE TIME!

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Um... What...? I've NEVER seen any claims that getting to S+ is easy.

i have - that's why i was asking how it's accomplished (and like i pointed out when i look at my online visitors they have S/S+ in like two fields so there must be some sort of trick - or they did a lot of grinding either way) lol

1 minute ago, charcoalswift said:

Manual instruct and 1 goal for 1.5 x increase

I didn't get any S+ on first playthrough (Black Eagles) because I tried multiple tasking

yeah  - like i mentioned this is my glitch. 
I really want to achieve higher authority for some of my units (using the bandits/thieves in the end game drive me bananas when i have like. several copies these amazing battalions just sitting here like "cool, we're not needed." but also having like built in null flying or other stuff seems to be really cool as well. i just feel like if i focus on one thing they lose out on being able to bounce back in classes. (or for the mages - if i want them to like catch up and i don't wanna spam stride all the time they have to learn lances AND horses AND authority AND magic and  - no S ranks for them until late late game and certaintly not S+)

1 minute ago, daisy jane said:

i have - that's why i was asking how it's accomplished (and like i pointed out when i look at my online visitors they have S/S+ in like two fields so there must be some sort of trick - or they did a lot of grinding either way) lol

...I give up. Where do you see these claims???

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

...I give up. Where do you see these claims???

youtube comments, other message boards. it's not like i was keeping a tally or anything. its basically like i said. 
there are some people who feel it's easy to do it.
there are obviously a lot of people who can do it quite easily. that's why i'm asking. 

Just now, daisy jane said:

youtube comments, other message boards. it's not like i was keeping a tally or anything. its basically like i said. 
there are obviously a lot of people who can do it quite easily. that's why i'm asking. 

I think they're spouting bullshit, to be blunt.  It takes a lot of effort just to get to S, let alone S+ (and I don't see it as worth it since in terms of weapon types, you probably already have the -faire in question due to your class).

I think they're spouting bullshit, to be blunt.  It takes a lot of effort just to get to S, let alone S+ (and I don't see it as worth it since in terms of weapon types, you probably already have the -faire in question due to your class).

and that's faire... (teehee). 
i will admit it was quite the slog to do it for ingrid - but again it was more for like some units (say if for bow i THINK it's more range? or for magic one more range) and then for flying it's the null. but i feel like that's for subsequent playthroughs not your first run, yah?

The only ways you'd be able to get a unit to S+ rank are either if you solely focus on one skill, if you do an excessive amount of grinding (on Hard, that'd be through having your units whiff attacks with broken weapons), or if you do New Game+.

Anyone telling you it's easy either grinded, are making garbage builds for their units (no unit should have E's in every skill except one), speaking from New Game+ experience, or straight up lying.  If you're playing the game optimally, there's no way in hell you should be getting S+ rank until very late.

That said, if you want to get to S+ rank as legitimately as possible without screwing over your unit, choose, at most, three skills to work on, acquire the Knowledge Gem as soon as possible, and have the unit you want to train attack an enemy with a broken weapon repeatedly for as many turns as you're allowed to (either with the weapon type you wish for them to get an S-rank in or as a class that uses the skill).  Authority would be most difficult because you'd have to rely on your unit not getting hurt by the enemy's attacks, which is rather difficult when you're using a broken weapon.

Instructing and having them give preferential focus to the skill you want to get to S+ rank could help, but you won't see significant returns.  Also, and I think this goes without saying, but it's much easier for a unit to S+ a skill they're proficient in, and very likely impossible for them to S+ rank a skill they're weak in if you're doing a standard playthrough on Hard.

18 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

and very likely impossible for them to S+ rank a skill they're weak in if you're doing a standard playthrough on Hard.

I think even neutral is almost impossible. The +2 bonus every time you tutor and to a lesser extent +4 from weekly studies really add up, in the end it's probably around a 800 points difference by the end of the game? Something like that?

Honestly, my experience is: do not go for it on a fresh playthrough. It's not worth the trouble in the slightest and you'll get it way too late for it to matter; S+ is for new game +.

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

S itself is reasonable but S+ is just ridiculous unless you're a filthy casual doing nonstop auxiliary battles in normal mode tbh lol.

I'm not sure it's even possible on NG without grinding. NG+ and statues bonuses from the get go make it reachable. S+ is nice for weapons (Cav/Arm/Fly effect null isn't worth it imo) but A+ is typically enough. Crit +10 feels good but you don't need it, so just get to the best prowess and call it. Exception is obviously magic as it gives you 1 range.

That said, if you don't already know, you can cheese it. Equip a broken/rusted weapon and do a lv.7/11 map. Be sure to go in the middle of the forest so hitrates are always 0-10. Pass turns. Remember to also keep a good weapon in the inventory though, otherwise you're not winning (pretty sure 100 turns make it a loss). Works for Authority as well if you have a battallion (and mov skills if you're in that class).

You can do 2 people at once btw, the adjudant gains the same exp (even if they don't contribute). That's also the only way to cheese it for mages (no broken weapons).

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

I agree, but do note that the -faires, unlike the other skills, stack. S+ Axe on a Wyvern gets +10 damage. Not saying it's worth it, just fyi.

using the bandits/thieves in the end game drive me bananas when i have like. several copies these amazing battalions just sitting here like "cool, we're not needed." but also having like built in null flying or other stuff seems to be really cool as well

This is why you should assign battalions usually, even the weak E rank ones

Eventually your units will get better at authority, I got multiple Cs now

built in null flying or other stuff seems to be really cool as well. i just feel like if i focus on one thing they lose out on being able to bounce back in classes. (or for the mages - if i want them to like catch up and i don't wanna spam stride all the time they have to learn lances AND horses AND authority AND magic and  - no S ranks for them until late late game and certaintly not S+)

Lol I hate the requirements for Holy Knight too. It seems that only Marianne is suitable since she got talent

You can get multiple S+ ranks if you buy S rank early on for NG+

3 minutes ago, charcoalswift said:

This is why you should assign battalions usually, even the weak E rank ones

Eventually your units will get better at authority, I got multiple Cs now

Lol I hate the requirements for Holy Knight too. It seems that only Marianne is suitable since she got talent

You can get multiple S+ ranks if you buy S rank early on for NG+

I did find - most times they can cheese it if they get about a B in riding, Cish in lances and then A in their spells 
I thought about it but that's also a lot of renown to spend (which i mean...theoretically, you earn nearly about 10K a game so if you blow it on that then you earn it backno issues. i usually buy my Prof ranking to B+ and earn the last two levels, and buy certain abilities back - ie: QR for Caspar). 

and  - that's something i've learned (in a few playthroughs) give everyone a battalion from now. the only one i never give a battalion to is felix

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would beg to differ - his personal ability isn't that good.

that's fair - and i mean. I COULD. but basically.i never felt the need to give him a battalion. (I could for this run i am doing the "do things different/new builds" run for a lot of units - so giving him one could work. but i generally feel with felix after playing around with stuff (other than making him a dancer) - i just know that he is someone i can give a sword too warp him in the middle of armours and he's just saying "next time bring your friends."

3 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

I did find - most times they can cheese it if they get about a B in riding, Cish in lances and then A in their spells 

It's too RNG and some people avoid save scumming so they burn a lot of gold buying master seals

(I save scum lol)

4 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

I thought about it but that's also a lot of renown to spend (which i mean...theoretically, you earn nearly about 10K a game so if you blow it on that then you earn it backno issues. i usually buy my Prof ranking to B+ and earn the last two levels, and buy certain abilities back - ie: QR for Caspar). 

I'm only on 2nd playthrough(two thirds done on Blue Lions)

For NG+, I bought only A+ professor level and spent the rest on Statues. I managed to restore all 4 of them

6 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

and  - that's something i've learned (in a few playthroughs) give everyone a battalion from now. the only one i never give a battalion to is felix

I heard people give Felix a battalion as they claim it pays off in the end, I don't agree of course because he has a weakness in Authority and it will take a lot of investment

6 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

that's fair - and i mean. I COULD. but basically.i never felt the need to give him a battalion. (I could for this run i am doing the "do things different/new builds" run for a lot of units - so giving him one could work. but i generally feel with felix after playing around with stuff (other than making him a dancer) - i just know that he is someone i can give a sword too warp him in the middle of armours and he's just saying "next time bring your friends."

Perhaps. The thing is, though, Felix's personal ability has "noob trap" written all over it; I'd argue the boosts battalions can give him outweigh the +5 damage he gets if he has no battalion.

4 minutes ago, charcoalswift said:

I heard people give Felix a battalion as they claim it pays off in the end, I don't agree of course because he has a weakness in Authority and it will take a lot of investment

See above.

6 minutes ago, charcoalswift said:

It's too RNG and some people avoid save scumming so they burn a lot of gold buying master seals

(I save scum lol)

I'm only on 2nd playthrough(two thirds done on Blue Lions)

For NG+, I bought only A+ professor level and spent the rest on Statues. I managed to restore all 4 of them

I will say - as a lover of Hilda. (that sounds wrong) LOL - even with the weakness in Authority - Hilda has enough charm (haha) to make it work most times she just earns hers more slowly than most. so i could see how for felix it's the same thing. slow and steady and the battalion works for you. (esp. if you give him like the BL Dimitri battalion. which holy crap. awesome). 

the first NG i did i went straight to A+ after i did the first quests - 
but i find you can buy B+ and get to A really quickly. the slog to to A+ this time is making me wish once i got to A i bought A+ because having that 3 battle point is so helpful ). it just depends on how you wanna manage the renown. (like i mentioned - now that i know it's easy-ish enough to recruit some units - i can get them for mission recruitment get B and there we go). that saves some thus i can spend it on other things

Perhaps. The thing is, though, Felix's personal ability has "noob trap" written all over it; I'd argue the boosts battalions can give him outweigh the +5 damage he gets if he has no battalion.

probably.and i will say probably in Hard (lunatic) etc - it would make more sense to do it (and i'll give him a battalion and see).  I know for me - and my playthroughs thus far - i've never thought "gosh, I wish Felix had a battalion." (though again to be fair. I use the same battalions. Fusiliade for everyone, stride for the dancers, Ashes and Dust for Byleth and the lucky infantry gets Dimitris. LOL - i really should play around with them more, ie: magic gets magic, archers get archers. but i haven't really found fits for like Hilda, etc). 

Edited by daisy jane