Nintendo Direct 9/4 Wishes and Speculation

Fabulously Olivier

23 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Anyway I'm going for:

• Super Mario Maker 2 updates.
  • Banjo-Kazooie release date and Terry Bogard reveal.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • LoZ: Link's Awakening (especially since both it and LM3 launch pretty soon)

Three out of four isn't bad, I guess.

A Direct. I got spoiled a bit.

First, Overwatch happens. Ok I guess. It's next month for whoever wanted that. Then Luigi's Mansion 3 has a gameplay discussion, but I guess that'll be nice for those who want it (8-player's nice). Then we get a Kirby game with the dreaded microtransations, so that comes along now. Trials of Mana next, with some bad lip work. Obra Din gets ported, so that's neat. Town's finally getting something, called Little Town Hero and has a bunch of gameplay which is all RPG and I hope there's a demo at some point (Also Toby Fox did the music.... Wow, hope it's good). Banjo/Kazooie is out now, there's a bunch of other smash stuff I'll say later. Then we get the SNK confirmation, with a cute timeline of consoles going to the Neo Geo. Then a letter shows up, leading to a montage of everyone else chasing the letter only to fail until the obvious pick arrives, Terry Bogard. November too, bit quick. Then we get more DLC confirmed (SPYRO PLEASE).

Link's Awakening gets a video, with dungeon talk and the release date's in 2 weeks. Dragon Quest 11 gets some talk and confirms to be out at the end of the month. Then TMS gets a rerelease- SO IT'S HAPPENING. Tiki is playable and it's out next year. Well that's a surprise. Deadly Premonition was apparently neat, so here's a sequel next year and the first game's released today. Divinity 2 get's ported, I'm just going to go for PC, you realise that right? DOOM 64 is talked about and comes out late in the year. Then a game called Rouge Company is announced with less fanfare than it probably should as a new IP which is a story co-op TPS with not much going for it.

Sword and Shield next, with Gurderr confirmed (*sigh), trainer customisation gets expanded on in a noticable way (but not as much as I might have been hoping for?, we get a camp mode that's Pokemon Amie but with multiple rolling around and interacting with other players online that way (So that's where the new animations are?), we get curry cooking in this game (Poffins are back?) and some new mons, like Polteageist (I mean, the Brits aren't all tea. Come on) who might let someone drink it (Eww.), Cramorant (Cormorants confirmed?) can catch a fish to throw at enemies if it uses Surf or Dive and there's more footage I'll just think about elsewhere. Then we get the SNES games for the Switch, coming out tomorrow and a neat list it is and they release an exclusive controller (8-Bit Do did it better?)

Tetris 99 gets an update with some alright additions and a physical copy (Why?). The Mario + Sonic Olympic game gets some info and a nuts story. Daemon X Machina is out next week? Really? Cool. Jedi Knight II gets a port, Witcher 3's out next month, Assassin's Creed brings two games together, Dauntless gets ported I guess, then the montage happens and highlights for me are Outer Worlds (So I can ignore Epic) and DMC 2 (Why that one?). Then Animal Crossing, a game I'm just going to skip as I'm not interested but Nook really wants you to join him with a full infomercial. Then we get a Xenoblade 1 remaster (Convince me on the series if you want, I might be interested in getting both someday) and shortly after end the announcement.

Afterwards, Sakurai talked about Smash. He shows off Banjo-Kazooie with some skill, with some description of the stage, see Home Run return and then the costumes. Ho boy. Goemon, Protoman and Zero, Team Rocket and Sans.

Sans got into Smash.

Sans.

Megalovania got in too.

We are cursed. Hell, Toby was the guest Sakurai had the hardest fight against according to himself.

TLDR: Good thing I'm getting a Switch soon. Doesn't matter, Sans has doomed us all.

The Luigi's Mansion 3 segment was shorter than I thought it'd be, but that's fine since the game's release day is getting pretty close. I'm still so excited about it! That new mode looks fun too, though sadly I won't have anyone to play it with.

The Pokemon part was great too! The Camp feature is giving me vibes of the old secret bases from gens 3 and 4! Also, I gotta have that teapot Pokemon!

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive is surprising and nice, though I was hoping for Xenoblade Warriors, personally. I might get this though, since I enjoy Xenoblade 2 and did not play the original Xenoblade 1.

Lastly, ANOTHER WAVE OF SMASH DLC CHARACTERS!! OMG! THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR DIXIE KONG AND REX AND PYRA!!

Edited by Anacybele

I had to head to class right as the direct started, but I was able to just watch it from my phone. And my car's bluetooth handled the audio. Much classier viewing experience than I anticipated.

Things that had me howling in my car

• Deadly Premonition: How did this game get a sequel-why is the original also remastered and out tonight??? The second game is called "A blessing in disguise" dude, no kidding. Imagine if that really bad game you rented one weekend just dropped on switch and had a sequel announced. I have to play it.

Things that go above and beyond

• Divinity Original Sin 2: Steam Cross Saves let you take your playthrough on the go? Why don't more ports do that?
  • DOOM 64
  • Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
  • Sakurai showing his recording process when it comes to holding two controllers. And reminiscing about how he did it all the way back in Melee because he knows we eat this stuff up.
  • Sakurai explaining Banjo's entire life story and every single cameo. Which is no doubt for the Japanese viewers.
  • Here let's casually drop 20 SNES games. Enjoy.

Things that make me hopeful

• Sakurai getting the most out of the low-budge stream setup. I would totally follow

Things that make me upset

• Capcom releasing the devil may cry trilogy individually. Having the option to avoid 2 is nice, but this screams of exploitation.
  • More Smash DLC characters: We get farther and farther away from Sakurai making his own original game.
  • Sakurai still has nobody to help him hold two controllers for live demonstrations
  • Home Run Contest is the final mode added to Smash. Which would be fine. But we never got Boss Battles, which is an even easier mode to add.
Edited by Glennstavos

10 hours ago, Etheus said:

I was really pleased with this direct for those same reasons. 

Oh good! TMS is on the cards for the Switch! Now I can finally ditch the idea of getting a Wii U. That's one good news from Nintendo I haven't had in a while...

Edited by henrymidfields

Now that I've taken a closer look at the SNES games on offer. It's not bad. Demon's Crest, Breath of Fire, and Super Ghouls and Ghosts? Capcom is such a bro. I've been wanting to play Demon's Crest especially. I'm also looking forward to Brawl Brothers.