(slight spoilers) Is it actually possible to sustain an injury in a way that prevents the use of swords but not the use of axes?

Nerrox

Anyone who's played this game knows that the tendons of Greil's dominant sword hand (his right) are slashed by the time Path of Radiance starts. This means he's incapable of using a sword effectively, except for the wooden training sword he's seen using in the opening cutscene and the tutorial. For the rest of the game, he's seen using a massive battleaxe with his left hand on the hilt and his right hand on the neck. Is there any sense to this, or is it just a convenient plot device?

Edited by Nerrox

It's possible, just not plausible.

Before I delve into that, quick lesson on what Tendons are. They are basically what allows your hand to open and close, or for your fingers to bend and straighten. So there are two types, extensor, and flexor. Extensor allow your fingers to straighten, flexor allow them to bend. Cutting one of them would restrict their respective movement. So Greil couldn't have cut his flexor tendons, since he has to be able to bend his hand to grab them

Greil hypothetically could've cut his extensor tendons, which means his hand wouldn't be allowed to straighten out. This means he still could use a sword and an axe, but since you have to be able to adjust your grip on your sword while in battle, it does mean that he'd be less effective with it. Of course, Greil is like, the best swordsman in all of Tellius, so even with this disadvantage, he's still damn good. As for the axe, there shouldn't be much of an issue, since it's only in his hand, not his arm, which would be the thing supporting most of the weight. 

Just now, Vince777 said:

If the BK wants a fair fight, why is he wearing that magic armor that makes him invulnerable?

To be fair, he brought Ragnell with him and gave it to Greil so he could harm him. It's not like BK knew he couldn't use swords anymore.

9 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I wonder what can and what cannot hurt the BK.

He fled the scene when Caineghis was getting close so the Lion King I would assume could.

Ashnard's armor is supposedly blessed in the same manner that BK's is, and that's damageable by Naesala, Tibarn, and Giffca, so if the mechanics are consistent with the story, it seems like laguz can break through the blessing when they get strong enough. Also dragon breath goes through no matter what, as Ena can damage Ashnard despite not seeming particularly strong for a dragon.

2 hours ago, Nerrox said:

Anyone who's played this game knows that the tendons of Greil's dominant sword hand (his right) are slashed by the time Path of Radiance starts. This means he's incapable of using a sword effectively, except for the wooden training sword he's seen using in the opening cutscene and the tutorial. For the rest of the game, he's seen using a massive battleaxe with his left hand on the hilt and his right hand on the neck. Is there any sense to this, or is it just a convenient plot device?

2 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

It's possible, just not plausible.

Before I delve into that, quick lesson on what Tendons are. They are basically what allows your hand to open and close, or for your fingers to bend and straighten. So there are two types, extensor, and flexor. Extensor allow your fingers to straighten, flexor allow them to bend. Cutting one of them would restrict their respective movement. So Greil couldn't have cut his flexor tendons, since he has to be able to bend his hand to grab them

Greil hypothetically could've cut his extensor tendons, which means his hand wouldn't be allowed to straighten out. This means he still could use a sword and an axe, but since you have to be able to adjust your grip on your sword while in battle, it does mean that he'd be less effective with it. Of course, Greil is like, the best swordsman in all of Tellius, so even with this disadvantage, he's still damn good. As for the axe, there shouldn't be much of an issue, since it's only in his hand, not his arm, which would be the thing supporting most of the weight. 

I was all prepared to give an explanation, but looks like Darth got the gist of it.  As a doctor, I can say that, yes, a sword takes much more dexterity and fine movement to use properly than an axe does, and depending on which tendons were severed, it could result in being able to grip an axe, but not do much else with the wrist.

All the swords in that universe are double bladed, so you would do a backhand swing everytime you follow up. Axes only chop, it's a linear motion. Swords also stab which is a motion you wouldn't do with an axe. But I always figured Greil was just getting sentimental about his weapon choice after the incident. Telling people "I'll never swing a sword again" referring to how he'd never fight again. Then when he decided he would fight again as a mercenary, he'd do it in a way that keeps his skills incognito since he didn't want anybody to know he was one of the four riders.

• 2 months later...

Y'know, stumbling on this topic just now has only made me want to see more two-handed axes in the series at some point. By which I mean perhaps a subset of axes that are heavier, do more damage and have a unique animation that has them being held with both hands. I don't recall seeing all that many up to now and I find that a little weird.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, Paper Jam said:

Greil did use a training sword in the opening cinematic and the prologue chapter, and I noticed that Greil's attacks seemed rather clumsy in the latter. Perhaps Darth and/or Rezzy could comment on that too?

Clumsiness might just come from not using swords as much as he used to. Lack of use means that you lose some of the skill you have with something, as your brain stops needing those memories. 

Also could potentially come from some other things, Greil multi-tasking by also lecturing Ike while he spares, maybe he's going easy on Ike. A lot of potential reasons besides medical junk