Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nerrox

(slight spoilers) Is it actually possible to sustain an injury in a way that prevents the use of swords but not the use of axes?

Recommended Posts

Anyone who's played this game knows that the tendons of Greil's dominant sword hand (his right) are slashed by the time Path of Radiance starts. This means he's incapable of using a sword effectively, except for the wooden training sword he's seen using in the opening cutscene and the tutorial. For the rest of the game, he's seen using a massive battleaxe with his left hand on the hilt and his right hand on the neck. Is there any sense to this, or is it just a convenient plot device?

Edited by Nerrox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it works. Maneuvers with a two-handed battleaxe aren't going to require the same wrist dexterity that a sword would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible, just not plausible.

Before I delve into that, quick lesson on what Tendons are. They are basically what allows your hand to open and close, or for your fingers to bend and straighten. So there are two types, extensor, and flexor. Extensor allow your fingers to straighten, flexor allow them to bend. Cutting one of them would restrict their respective movement. So Greil couldn't have cut his flexor tendons, since he has to be able to bend his hand to grab them

Greil hypothetically could've cut his extensor tendons, which means his hand wouldn't be allowed to straighten out. This means he still could use a sword and an axe, but since you have to be able to adjust your grip on your sword while in battle, it does mean that he'd be less effective with it. Of course, Greil is like, the best swordsman in all of Tellius, so even with this disadvantage, he's still damn good. As for the axe, there shouldn't be much of an issue, since it's only in his hand, not his arm, which would be the thing supporting most of the weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vince777 said:

If the BK wants a fair fight, why is he wearing that magic armor that makes him invulnerable?

To be fair, he brought Ragnell with him and gave it to Greil so he could harm him. It's not like BK knew he couldn't use swords anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what can and what cannot hurt the BK.

He fled the scene when Caineghis was getting close so the Lion King I would assume could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I wonder what can and what cannot hurt the BK.

He fled the scene when Caineghis was getting close so the Lion King I would assume could.

 

Ashnard's armor is supposedly blessed in the same manner that BK's is, and that's damageable by Naesala, Tibarn, and Giffca, so if the mechanics are consistent with the story, it seems like laguz can break through the blessing when they get strong enough. Also dragon breath goes through no matter what, as Ena can damage Ashnard despite not seeming particularly strong for a dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would not be all laguz though.

A max strenght Muarim couldn't. I suppose we're talking about lore strenght. 

Edited by Vince777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nerrox said:

Anyone who's played this game knows that the tendons of Greil's dominant sword hand (his right) are slashed by the time Path of Radiance starts. This means he's incapable of using a sword effectively, except for the wooden training sword he's seen using in the opening cutscene and the tutorial. For the rest of the game, he's seen using a massive battleaxe with his left hand on the hilt and his right hand on the neck. Is there any sense to this, or is it just a convenient plot device?

 

2 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

It's possible, just not plausible.

Before I delve into that, quick lesson on what Tendons are. They are basically what allows your hand to open and close, or for your fingers to bend and straighten. So there are two types, extensor, and flexor. Extensor allow your fingers to straighten, flexor allow them to bend. Cutting one of them would restrict their respective movement. So Greil couldn't have cut his flexor tendons, since he has to be able to bend his hand to grab them

Greil hypothetically could've cut his extensor tendons, which means his hand wouldn't be allowed to straighten out. This means he still could use a sword and an axe, but since you have to be able to adjust your grip on your sword while in battle, it does mean that he'd be less effective with it. Of course, Greil is like, the best swordsman in all of Tellius, so even with this disadvantage, he's still damn good. As for the axe, there shouldn't be much of an issue, since it's only in his hand, not his arm, which would be the thing supporting most of the weight. 

I was all prepared to give an explanation, but looks like Darth got the gist of it.  As a doctor, I can say that, yes, a sword takes much more dexterity and fine movement to use properly than an axe does, and depending on which tendons were severed, it could result in being able to grip an axe, but not do much else with the wrist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ragnel would not change anything because he did not land any blow anyway. It's pretty clear imo that Greil know he was done for. Maybe if he knew Caineghis was close he could have tried to stall.

Edited by Flere210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the swords in that universe are double bladed, so you would do a backhand swing everytime you follow up. Axes only chop, it's a linear motion. Swords also stab which is a motion you wouldn't do with an axe. But I always figured Greil was just getting sentimental about his weapon choice after the incident. Telling people "I'll never swing a sword again" referring to how he'd never fight again. Then when he decided he would fight again as a mercenary, he'd do it in a way that keeps his skills incognito since he didn't want anybody to know he was one of the four riders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'know, stumbling on this topic just now has only made me want to see more two-handed axes in the series at some point. By which I mean perhaps a subset of axes that are heavier, do more damage and have a unique animation that has them being held with both hands. I don't recall seeing all that many up to now and I find that a little weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...