What to do with the Blue Lions on Maddening, Day 3: Felix Hugo Fraldarius!

He's here! 

Felix, since I've had three playthroughs to experiment with him so far, is easily one of the units who I 'get' the most. He's a physical powerhouse, so the three builds I've made for him each reflect one of his strengths. First, some general information

Accessory: Aegis Shield (I'll unequip it as needed if he's in danger of getting doubled)

Battalion: Fraldarius Soldiers - I'm going to be using Renown to boost his Authority to B. There really is no reason for him not to have a Battalion, and this one gives him a really nice boost of Hit/Crit

1. Bow Knight (Myrmidon -> Mercenary -> Assassin -> Bow Knight)

Close Counter/Bow Prowess 5/Bow Crit +10/Movement +1/Deathblow (Bowfaire)

2. Swordmaster (Myrmidon -> Mercenary -> Swordmaster)

Sword Prowess 5/Deathblow (Swordfaire)/Sword Crit +10/Movement +1/Weight -3 or Vantage

3. Warmaster (???)

Brawling Prowess 5/Deathblow (Fistfaire)/Brawling Crit +10/Movement +1/Weight -3

(I can give him A+ in Riding and C in Heavy Armor with Renown as well. I can focus entirely on any of those weapons, and possibly get them to S+. The only real exception to this is Warmaster, I can't raise his Axes to A)

Weight -3 helps to offset the weight of the Aegis Shield a bit, it gives him three effective points of Speed. 

Of these three, while Gauntlets are definitely a very good weapon type (Apparently one of the best in the game), I'm not really a fan of the double weapon proficiency required to unlock Warmaster, as well as the look of the class (And Grappler is RIGHT out). It's definitely a lot crittier than the other two, especially Bow Knight, but Felix's Dexterity isn't terrible, especially with Assassin growths. 

Bow Knight seems like it'd be the best in terms of mobility and range. Especially with Close Counter, I'm looking at 1-5 range, Canto, etc. The only issue is that Bow Knight growths suck, but Felix's base growths are already really good. Mounted units are also pretty terrain-screwed, so any missions that take place on the sand/in maps that are on fire will really hamper him. Next to the Swordmaster look, it's also his best looking outfit. 

Swordmaster's downsides are a lack of ranged attack options, and a lack of movement even compared to other Advanced Classes. Movement +1 helps to correct the movement issue, and he won't suffer as much on terrain that penalizes mounted units. As for counterattacking problems, I can use a Battalion that grants Retaliation (On Byleth, or some other unit). 

So right now, it's looking like Swordmaster vs Bow Knight. 

Felix is also the best Mortal Savant in the game. That -10% movement peanlity will mean little to Felix, he gains lots of speed from the sword classes. Its a niche class thats suited to only a few characters but a Mortal Savant built right will be a combat monster.

1 minute ago, wissenschaft said:

Felix is also the best Mortal Savant in the game. That -10% movement peanlity will mean little to Felix, he gains lots of speed from the sword classes. Its a niche class thats suited to only a few characters but a Mortal Savant built right will be a combat monster.

I'd like to stick with Swordmaster or Bow Knight, honestly. 

Ya ya, I know. To keep his post time skip look. In which case I vote for Bow Knight but I'd probably level him in sniper. the lost in speed growth isn't that big a deal. It will raise your bow rank faster and save you renown to spend else where. Brigand > Sniper > Bow Knight is a simple build that will turn Felix into a murder machine.

Swordmaster is good but you'd want Wraith from warrior as well to take full advantage of vantage. Overall, its not really needed when you have Warmasters as your crit machines.

Edited by wissenschaft

9 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

really? I've always kept him in sword master. mostly because while i've had 4 mortal Savants (Lysithea, Marianne, Dorothea x2) - i never knew what to do w/Felix.(mostly because with the girls they just zap w/magic anyway). like do i give Felix a Levin Sword?

i will say. i am intrigued ( with a bow knight felix) i always felt this is the one guy to just keep w/a sword so i am keeping my eyes in this thread for sure
('m also going to give him a battalion because why not lol)

3 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

Ya ya, I know. To keep his post time skip look. In which case I vote for Bow Knight but I'd probably level him in sniper. the lost in speed growth isn't that big a deal. It will raise your bow rank faster and save you renown to spend else where. Brigand > Sniper > Bow Knight is a simple build that will turn Felix into a murder machine.

Swordmaster is good but you'd want Wraith from warrior as well to take full advantage of vantage. Overall, its not really needed when you have Warmasters as your crit machines.

So Bow Knight > Swordmaster even with Movement +1? 

4 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

really? I've always kept him in sword master. mostly because while i've had 4 mortal Savants (Lysithea, Marianne, Dorothea x2) - i never knew what to do w/Felix.(mostly because with the girls they just zap w/magic anyway). like do i give Felix a Levin Sword?

i will say. i am intrigued ( with a bow knight felix) i always felt this is the one guy to just keep w/a sword so i am keeping my eyes in this thread for sure
('m also going to give him a battalion because why not lol)

I know, right? He's weird. He's the quintessential Myrmidon/Swordmaster (His 'default' weapon is even a sword, when he's training in supports), but yet he has strengths in Bows. 

Also, yeah, with his Personal Skill, it's kind of... You give him a Battalion for +5 Physical Attack plus some other benefits... or you get +5 Attack (Which would be good if you wanted to make him a mixed attacker, I guess). 

11 minutes ago, Naoko_Akamori said:

So Bow Knight > Swordmaster even with Movement +1? 

Hmm, thats the general consensus I see among other players. Canto is just so ridiculous. The biggest factor in favor of Bow Knight is that he is the least likely potential archer to get STR or speed screwed. Swordmaster is a frontline unit that lacks good 1-2 range outside of the Levin Sword but most people would prefer using WarMasters (even more crit and better 1-2 range options) and Wyvern Lords (tanky, agile and FLYERS).

6 minutes ago, Naoko_Akamori said:

I know, right? He's weird. He's the quintessential Myrmidon/Swordmaster (His 'default' weapon is even a sword, when he's training in supports), but yet he has strengths in Bows. 

Also, yeah, with his Personal Skill, it's kind of... You give him a Battalion for +5 Physical Attack plus some other benefits... or you get +5 Attack (Which would be good if you wanted to make him a mixed attacker, I guess). 

Its not that strange when you notice the assassin class and its requirement of swords and bows. Assassin is another fantastic option for Felix but again you limited the choice to swordmaster and bow knight.

Edited by wissenschaft

1 minute ago, wissenschaft said:

Hmm, thats the general consensus I see among other players. Canto is just so ridiculous. The biggest factor in favor of Bow Knight is that he is the least likely potential archer to get STR or speed screwed. Swordmaster is a frontline unit that lacks good 1-2 range outside of the Levin Sword but most people would prefer using WarMasters (even more crit and better 1-2 range options) and Wyvern Lords (tanky, agile and FLYERS)

But muh aesthetic! 

Nah, more seriously, yeah. I've always had a soft spot for Swordmasters (Because I'm weeb trash), but I can't think of many that have really excelled. 

Plus his Crit animation for Swordmaster is REALLY boring. 

2 minutes ago, Naoko_Akamori said:

yah there was a debate with this this morning. for me personally i just never felt like i had to give Felix a batallion. I usually have the following

Byleth (Falcon Knight): Ashes and Dust from GD Route. (so now that i am playing this for a second time, this means i now get TWO Ashes and Dusts. (evil grin)
Ingrid (Falcon Knight): Line of Lances. 
Sylvain (Wyvern Lord): Line of of Lances
anyone else who flies: assembly 
infantry/horses get fusilade (like my favourite one). 
(Dancer gets stride)

I tried the dancer one but that's lame. i thought more people got danced but that's not the case.