Tokyo Mirage Sessions Officially Announced for Switch Hype Thread

I wanted to played the game, but getting a Wii U was too costly an investment for me. A enhanced port is nice, scratches the dungeon crawling itch before Person  5 Royal comes out. Hopefully it can have all int content that wasn't present in the English version.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Ditto. I wonder what new stuff it'll have.

They said new story elements and it looks like Barry, Maiko, and Tiki are playable. My guess is Maiko's Mirage is Azura, what with the blue hair and black outfit

Tokyo Mirage Session Defense Squad, arise from your sleep, for our hidden gem is finally going to sit at the cool kids table that is the switch!!!

In all seriousness though, while I don't see myself double-dipping on this one since I still find the base version fine (at least, until a sale happens), I'm super glad this game is getting another change to shine, if for no other reason than to get new people exposed to the weird and wonderful world the game presents. Though if it gets a highly unlikely dub, I will buy the game again at full price with no questions asked, especially if they dubbed the music.

47 minutes ago, Florete said:

But will it still be butchered in the west?

Well... the black smoke over Aversa's boobs is still there in today's video.

And that worries me since the UI used throughout the video is all Japanese.

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

Either dub it or I'm going to pass on it again. Not gonna support them being lazy.

The fact that they had the Japanese voice cast re-record a ton of lines to match the script changes in the localization is not exactly something you could call "lazy".

Wow, I didn't think Nintendo had the guts to do it, but here we are.

TMS is definitely one of the most polarizing games I've ever played, but it's still a really fun game I hope more people will give a chance now that it's on the Switch. All Nintendo has to do now is market the game on it's gameplay merits like the combat and dungeons and less so the narrative and aesthetics and it'll do just fine.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Well... the black smoke over Aversa's boobs is still there in today's video.

And that worries me since the UI used throughout the video is all Japanese.

The fact that they had the Japanese voice cast re-record a ton of lines to match the script changes in the localization is not exactly something you could call "lazy".

Then misguided. Whatever word works.

Point is it's dumb. Keep the songs in Japanese if you like, but give players the option of Japanese or English dialogue. Everyone wins in that scenario.

YES TMS!!

Do I need to say more? For its many faults and my initial hatred against this, I am TRANSFORMED by this announcement!

Once I cool down, I'll post more substantial comments, but I had to record this raw and boundless feeling! 

OH BOY THE HYPE TRAIN IS REAL

TMS was my second favorite game on the WiiU, falling short only of Xenoblade X, my all-time favorite game. I missed the direct up until the end of Pokemon and felt extremely disappointed by the direct with that last announcement (With Monolith working on XC1 and BotW2 It's probably gonna be years before an enhanced Switch port of X or XCX2... like, between XC2, the remake, XCX getting completely snubbed for Smash, and the behavior of XC1 fans, my feelings on the original are quickly going from "Great story, well-written characters but I didn't really connect with them, boring gameplay, 7/10" to "I really hope XC1 dies soon". XC1 has p much been ruined for me at this point.)

cue my friend messaging me on discord and going "HOW ABOUT THAT DIRECT :D"

and me being very confused.

First of all, Mirage Masters and Mirage alts in Heroes?????? INTSYS PLEASE. I've said since pretty much day 1 that I will stay f2p until Heroes releases Yashiro or a Navarre alt and I intend to stand by that. Up until now TMS characters haven't even been on CYL ballots, but with the yearly survey (That didn't happen outside of Japan this time, much to my dismay...) they were asking if players would be interested in TMS or Warriors characters!

Second:

My guess is Maiko's Mirage is Azura, what with the blue hair and black outfit

Nope, I'm almost positive she isn't. Maiko was dual-wielding swords. Outfits can change hair/eye color and clothes, but never weapon type.

For sword dancers, that's: Phina (Archanea), Sylvia, Lene, Laylea, or Lara (Jugdral), Olivia (Awakening), or a 3H character as an odd pick. Obvously, considering the FE cast in the original TMS, Phina or Olivia would be the most likely.

(Oh, and Maiko was planned to be a dancer in the original but was reduced to an NPC later. That's almost certainly her class.)

Now here's the thing... neither Olivia nor Phina ever dual-wield. However- Navarre usually does! Basically everywhere except TMS. Because of Phina and Navarre's relationship, I'm guessing it's her.

some final thoughts...

PLEASE, PLEASE add subtitles to the in-battle dialogue. I only know a bit of Japanese- just enough to tell that I'm really missing out on some interesting stuff.

The OC/OC and Mirage/OC conversations were really good, but I REALLY hope they add some conversations between the mirages as well. Also, I hope they make Chrom a bit funnier- TMS takes him very seriously, and his main draw for me is how often he made me laugh during Awakening.

Itsuki needs to be able to be taken out of the party BADLY, at least outside of important fights. doubly so if there's gonna be a third sword character.

I don't really care about changed dialogue/outfits/ages, but I'd really like to see the hot springs dlc.

I really hope Samto/Samuel gets called by his name instead of just "Dark Yashiro." We all know it's him. (And by "we all," I mean all 3 of us that played both TMS and New Mystery.)

Edited by Spirit Griffon

I am on the mega hype train and no one can stop this.

I wanted this. I didn't think it'd happen. TMS was dead, but it's back.

I love you, Atlus. You supported the small handful people that actually love this game.

36 minutes ago, Spirit Griffon said:

I really hope Samto/Samuel gets called by his name instead of just "Dark Yashiro." We all know it's him. (And by "we all," I mean all 3 of us that played both TMS and New Mystery.)

Nope, I wouldn't say it's him. Not without indisputable or heavily implied evidence.

TMS was made with Shadow Dragon specifically in mind. Nothing in it explicitly acknowledges Mystery of the Emblem.

Nope, I'm almost positive she isn't. Maiko was dual-wielding swords. Outfits can change hair/eye color and clothes, but never weapon type.

Draug can never wield an Axe as a Knight or General in any of his four games. Therefore, Azura could use swords.

An Azura Mirage would mean including a popular character, so there are logical grounds for making her Maiko's Mirage.

Now here's the thing... neither Olivia nor Phina ever dual-wield. However- Navarre usually does! Basically everywhere except TMS. Because of Phina and Navarre's relationship, I'm guessing it's her.

Clever connection, it could work.

PLEASE, PLEASE add subtitles to the in-battle dialogue. I only know a bit of Japanese- just enough to tell that I'm really missing out on some interesting stuff.

The OC/OC and Mirage/OC conversations were really good, but I REALLY hope they add some conversations between the mirages as well. Also, I hope they make Chrom a bit funnier- TMS takes him very seriously, and his main draw for me is how often he made me laugh during Awakening.

Itsuki needs to be able to be taken out of the party BADLY, at least outside of important fights. doubly so if there's gonna be a third sword character.

Agreed on all these points, especially the last. Having what looks like 10 playables now, but only 2 of the 3 active slots in battle be open, is really really really annoying.

1 hour ago, Spirit Griffon said:

Except that's false; Tharja used a staff, when, as a dark mage, she should be using a tome. She couldn't use staffs in Awakening unless she reclassed to Bride

Edited by Aiddon

Well this was the best thing in the direct for me, let's just say another port of XC1 instead of a sequel to X made me mad.  Anyway I loved the original so I will be getting this one for sure since they are adding things.  I wonder if they will have an SE again?  I bought the original as an SE so I will buy this one as SE if it has one.

1 hour ago, Spirit Griffon said:

Except that's false; Tharja used a staff, when, as a mage, she should be using a tome.

Ah, what I meant by that was that each character is locked to one weapon type. In other words, since we saw her with swords, she's going to be using swords the whole game and not switching to a lance.

Draug can never wield an Axe as a Knight or General in any of his four games. Therefore, Azura could use swords.

True! I always get SD generals mixed up with SS Generals and think that they can use axes, but nope. Bows.

Part of me wants it to be Phina and part of me wants Azura- Phina has my favorite personality and character of any dancer in FE, yet her design is honestly unappealing to me. (yellow and pink are pretty much my two least favorite colors.) On the other hand, Azura has, by far, my favorite design of any character in FE, but I genuinely cannot stand her as a character.

I think Phina wins by just a bit since her getting in would make her more popular and give her a better chance of getting into Heroes and get her more Cipher cards for sure. Plus, I'd die to get more Phina/Navarre dialogue. As someone whose favorite FE character has been Navarre since 2010, the last couple of years have been GREAT for me, but... I still want more!

Nope, I wouldn't say it's him. Not without indisputable or heavily implied evidence.

Whether or not it's actually Sam, I'm 99.8% sure he's a reference to Sam. What I'm saying is that I'd like for them to go all the way and say that it is him. Probably my favorite thing about odd side games like TMS, Warriors and Heroes is that they're a great chance to shine a spotlight on otherwise obscure characters and give more people a chance to enjoy them- think Reinhardt (and to a lesser extent, Navarre as well. He's still not massively popular but compared to nine years ago, the difference feels enormous.) I think Sam is a pretty funny minor character, and I'd like to see him in a game with a good sense of humor like TMS.

While I will not be double dipping for this since one play through was more than enough for me, I am happy for those that get to experience this game. While it fails to actually represent fe outside of two titles or smt in favor of a more persona like feel alongside the idol focus is a big negative in my opinion.  The game play makes up for those negatives and anyone who can get past those points should definitely  consider picking it up.

Edited by TheKnightlyNight

Some thoughts:

Now that the Switch is getting popular in countries like South Korea and China, it makes sense for them to port the game over as people in those countries are quite into idol culture. 

This is actually a game that I don’t want to get dubbed. Mostly because I imagine that the J-pop songs being sung in english is going to sound a bit weird. 

I’ve heard that the gameplay is the highlight of this game. Can someone briefly summarise what’s so good about it?

Edited by zuibangde

2 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I’ve heard that the gameplay is the highlight of this game. Can someone briefly summarise what’s so good about it?

There's a chain system, where you set a bunch of conditionals (if someone uses a sword attack, I'll follow up with a fire attack), and the AI will initiate the chain if you hit a weakness.  Since there's elemental weaknesses and weapon weaknesses, it's fairly easy to exploit one, and go ham (this includes characters not in the active party).  Characters can also swap out mid-battle without consuming a turn, so you can experiment with the most effective chain links.

There's also a few other things, which I'm intentionally glossing over.  But when everything comes together, it's a thing of beauty.

---

Now, for everyone posting after this: THIS IS THE TMS TOPIC, PLEASE KEEP COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE LACK OF SMT OUT.  Yes, they're made by the same company, but TMS doesn't recruit demons.