Tokyo Mirage Sessions Officially Announced for Switch Hype Thread

Yay, they actually did it. The ability to speed up Session attacks alone is a huge improvement. 

For those memeing the idea of Maiko having Azura as her Mirage, let’s remember the fact that the Carnage Forms don’t look like the Mirages they’re based on at all. If they’re still sticking to Shadow Dragon/Awakening Mirages then...Maiko’s Mirage would be Olivia by process of elimination. 

As for Barry there, unless they plan on repeating classes by making Kellam or Roger his Mirage, then Barry would probably be an axe fighter with Barst, Basilio, Vaike or Darros as his Mirage. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO HYPE!!!

I loved the game on Wii U, and now it's getting a brand new song, new costumes, new dungeons, and THREE NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS??? This is way too hype to be believed! I really hope people who skipped this either because they didn't have a Wii U or because they thought it looked stupid give it another chance. One of my favorite JRPGs ever, and a fantastic type of "crossover" that's very much its own thing, while just taking ideas and concepts and some characters from the series it draws inspiration from. Gave it tons of freedom to be what it wanted to be without being restricted by its "crossover" status. 

I was just gearing up to play New Game + on the original, now I'll just wait for the Switch version and play it twice through on there! 

Seriously, this is one of the most fun turn-based RPGs out there. The battle system is second to none, stunningly fast-paced, and does an amazing job of including your entire party in every battle even though you can only have three active party members at once, through a combination of FF X-style switching (switching party members in combat doesn't cost you your turn) and combo chain Session attacks that even involve characters on the bench. It's flashy, stylish, fast-paced, surprisingly difficult and tactically engaging, and you get to use your entire cast of characters in every fight! It's great! Even if maybe the story doesn't grab you (I LOVE the story and characters, but a lot of people don't) the battle system is not to be missed. And the music is great, too! Also, if you're like me and instantly love any JRPG that lets you unlock and equip various costumes (i.e. the Tales series, recent Pokemon games), then that's another big plus in Tokyo Mirage Session's favor.

2 hours ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

SO HYPE!!!

I loved the game on Wii U, and now it's getting a brand new song, new costumes, new dungeons, and THREE NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS??? This is way too hype to be believed! I really hope people who skipped this either because they didn't have a Wii U or because they thought it looked stupid give it another chance. One of my favorite JRPGs ever, and a fantastic type of "crossover" that's very much its own thing, while just taking ideas and concepts and some characters from the series it draws inspiration from. Gave it tons of freedom to be what it wanted to be without being restricted by its "crossover" status. 

I was just gearing up to play New Game + on the original, now I'll just wait for the Switch version and play it twice through on there! 

Seriously, this is one of the most fun turn-based RPGs out there. The battle system is second to none, stunningly fast-paced, and does an amazing job of including your entire party in every battle even though you can only have three active party members at once, through a combination of FF X-style switching (switching party members in combat doesn't cost you your turn) and combo chain Session attacks that even involve characters on the bench. It's flashy, stylish, fast-paced, surprisingly difficult and tactically engaging, and you get to use your entire cast of characters in every fight! It's great! Even if maybe the story doesn't grab you (I LOVE the story and characters, but a lot of people don't) the battle system is not to be missed. And the music is great, too! Also, if you're like me and instantly love any JRPG that lets you unlock and equip various costumes (i.e. the Tales series, recent Pokemon games), then that's another big plus in Tokyo Mirage Session's favor.

I feel there are a number of good moments about this game. Firstly, the setting was an interesting and unorthodox take on how the two premises interact - I've never seen such interactions of the medieval and modern before.

Then there are the character interactions and story involvement, which I think actually works better than FE did. Especially, Itsuki seem to actually backs off every once in a while and let Tsubasa and Kiria shine unlike what usually seem to happens with a number of FE Lords in the cutscenes. Instead of how Alm (*1), Ike (*2), Corrin (*3) or Roy (*4) ends up hogging the spotlight, it feels (and probably is intended to be) more like Persona 3-4 where SEES and IT members contribute to the main plot in meaningful ways and major amounts, and how the game unambiguously portrays the very fact that Hamuko/Minako and Yu/Souji need their companions, if they themselves are to ultimately save the day. (Ironic, considering how FE is also supposed to be about strategy and teamwork.)

Finally, if the series ended up being grimdark like SMT, then I probably wouldn't be anywhere near interested in games from Atlus. I only decided to bother checking Persona 3-5 because of this game, and that led me to check other Atlus games such as Radiant Historia. No one else can deny me this fact.

The only change from Wii U that I'll ask would be incorporating other characters from the FE franchise instead of just Awakening and Akaneia. The characters from the story-heavy games of Tellius, Jugdral, and 3H especially needs love.

*1 - Hey, wait until Celica's done her turn!
*2 - Hey, wait until Micaiah's/Elincia's done her turn! Stop hogging the spotlight!
*3 - OMG! NOO! You failed politics forever!!!
*4 - Actually, I'll let you off. At least I know you did your homework in Sun Tzu and Clausewitz.

Edited by henrymidfields

10 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

I feel there are a number of good moments about this game. Firstly, the setting was an interesting and unorthodox take on how the two premises interact - I've never seen such interactions of the medieval and modern before.

Then there are the character interactions and story involvement, which I think actually works better than FE did. Especially, Itsuki seem to actually backs off every once in a while and let Tsubasa and Kiria shine unlike what usually seem to happens with a number of FE Lords in the cutscenes. Instead of how Alm (*1), Ike (*2), Corrin (*3) or Roy (*4) ends up hogging the spotlight, it feels (and probably is intended to be) more like Persona 3-4 where SEES and IT members contribute to the main plot in meaningful ways and major amounts, and how the game unambiguously portrays the very fact that Hamuko/Minako and Yu/Souji need their companions, if they themselves are to ultimately save the day. (Ironic, considering how FE is also supposed to be about strategy and teamwork.)

Finally, if the series ended up being grimdark like SMT, then I probably wouldn't be anywhere near interested in games from Atlus. I only decided to bother checking Persona 3-5 because of this game, and that led me to check other Atlus games such as Radiant Historia.

*1 - Hey, wait until Celica's done her turn!
*2 - Hey, wait until Micaiah's/Elincia's done her turn! Stop hogging the spotlight!
*3 - OMG! NOO! You failed politics forever!!!
*4 - Actually, I'll let you off. At least you're not a dumbass in Sun Tzu.

All my thoughts exactly! I'm very much not a fan of the grimdark, which is why the initial announcement of "SMT x FE" was not even interesting to me, despite my love of Fire Emblem. When the first trailer for Tokyo Mirage Sessions hit, though, I was all aboard the hype train, and I haven't gotten off since. 

The stuff about character interactions you mentioned are a great point! Itsuki's kind of very bland as a protagonist, but it works out well because everyone gets time to shine and be the focus of the story, and Itsuki plays more of a producer/supervisor role than a "main character" role a lot of the time, which is a neat change from what happens in a lot of games. And it lets the other characters shine even brighter alongside him because he doesn't overwhelm anyone else in personality, he doesn't hog the spotlight, it's great! 

3 minutes ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

All my thoughts exactly! I'm very much not a fan of the grimdark, which is why the initial announcement of "SMT x FE" was not even interesting to me, despite my love of Fire Emblem. When the first trailer for Tokyo Mirage Sessions hit, though, I was all aboard the hype train, and I haven't gotten off since. 

The stuff about character interactions you mentioned are a great point! Itsuki's kind of very bland as a protagonist, but it works out well because everyone gets time to shine and be the focus of the story, and Itsuki plays more of a producer/supervisor role than a "main character" role a lot of the time, which is a neat change from what happens in a lot of games. And it lets the other characters shine even brighter alongside him because he doesn't overwhelm anyone else in personality, he doesn't hog the spotlight, it's great! 

Spoiler

25443240_1483570788427232_25662873626762

Oh, another good thing: I actually don't like J-Pop (or the majority of pop music), but I like the majority of the songs in TMS - especially Labyrinth and Reincarnation. I'm starting to wonder if Shoji Meguro had a hand in composing some of the songs - his music pieces can never seem to fail in the Persona games.

6 hours ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

SO HYPE!!!

Yeah, this game got an unfair amount of flack for pretty dumb reasons. It really used both franchises to create something new instead of just making, say, SMT with a Fire Emblem paint job (which apparently is what the team started doing before they went "Wait, what the HELL are we doing?")

I'm actually super excited for TMS. I've wanted to play it for so long but buying a Wii U for one game was just too much.

I'm super happy to see Maiko, Barry and Tiki are gonna be playable. I'm assuming Maiko's mirage will be Olivia and Barry will maybe have Barst/Vaike though I could see them introduce some Fates characters with Azura for Maiko and maybe Flannel for Barry, though I'm leaning on them being SD/Awakening mirages.

Overall, super hype, TMS was the highlight of the direct for me.

8 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

Yay, they actually did it. The ability to speed up Session attacks alone is a huge improvement. 

For those memeing the idea of Maiko having Azura as her Mirage, let’s remember the fact that the Carnage Forms don’t look like the Mirages they’re based on at all. If they’re still sticking to Shadow Dragon/Awakening Mirages then...Maiko’s Mirage would be Olivia by process of elimination. 

As for Barry there, unless they plan on repeating classes by making Kellam or Roger his Mirage, then Barry would probably be an axe fighter with Barst, Basilio, Vaike or Darros as his Mirage. 

And that's not counting the tiny chance Maiko's Mirage could be a Thief instead of a Dancer (even though her first name would heavily hint to the latter via the homophone shenanigans the game is well known for)...

That said, while I do agree one should not expect the Carnage Form to resemble the Source Mirage, the fact Barry's actually took the Collar + Chain Leash of his goofy dog guise and made it look a lot like how Awakening Fighters wore something similar makes me think he has a good chance to be bound to a Vaike Mirage.

Overall, I'm excited for the promise of new story elements.

5 hours ago, Azz said:

I'm super happy to see Maiko, Barry and Tiki are gonna be playable. I'm assuming Maiko's mirage will be Olivia and Barry will maybe have Barst/Vaike though I could see them introduce some Fates characters with Azura for Maiko and maybe Flannel for Barry, though I'm leaning on them being SD/Awakening mirages.

Looking at Barry, if you pause the trailer at 0:58, you get a good look at his Carnage Form.

4 hours ago, AstraSage said:

That said, while I do agree one should not expect the Carnage Form to resemble the Source Mirage, the fact Barry's actually took the Collar + Chain Leash of his goofy dog guise and made it look a lot like how Awakening Fighters wore something similar makes me think he has a good chance to be bound to a Vaike Mirage.

Or a Basilio Mirage. I could it being see either, though Vaike is a blonde like Barry. And whichever he doesn't get I could see being added as a new boss in some side content.

Barry either way should be a "Barbarian", the non-Armor Axe "class" of enemy which the heroes didn't have anyone belonging to. Although he is wearing silvery armor, it is much less than Mamori's. And, nobody on the player's side share classes. Itsuki and Yashiro are "Lord" and "Myrmidon" respectively.

Maiko should be getting her own class, given there isn't a third sword one as is. And Tiki will have a new one too, with a Wyrmcide weakness if enemies get to use that now.

Some basic deducing of the new playable trio's primary attack attributes:

• The trailer also makes clear that Barry's weapon attribute will be Axe, and his primary elemental attribute will be physical Force.
  • Tiki will have Fire as a primary elemental attribute in the form of magical Fire.
    • That will be good, since Touma and Yashiro were both physical Fire primaries, unable to learn Bolganone and leaving out of the player's hands; Tiki should be getting that ultimate spell.
  • Maiko we know is Sword for her weapon attribute, but we don't know her elemental and whether she is physical or magical regarding it.
    • Nobody in the base game has two weapon attributes, so we can rule that out for now.
    • Having Sword makes her like Itsuki and Yashiro, so she can't have either's primary elemental attribute or else she is the exact same. Itsuki's primary elemental is magical Elec, and Yashiro's is physical Fire.
      • Since Body and Mind cannot be Session'ed off of barring the addition of new Sessions Skills, if we exclude having the other of magical Fire or magical Elec, then that leaves Maiko with either Ice or Force. 
        • Of these two, given the black dress and change from dark to light blue hair, we can assume Azura as Maiko's Mirage.
          • If we assume Azura, then we can recall Azura can bend water in Fates.
            • As ice and water are the same thing in two different forms and SMT usually only has an Ice element under which watery things are placed, then, it is safe to say Maiko will be Sword+Ice.
              • As for physical or magical ice, Azura canonically would say magical. And it wouldn't be impossible due to redundancy with Kiria, since Touma and Yashiro already overlap as physical Fire.
  • Tiki's second primary attribute is unknown.
    • Dragonstone or Breath or that TMS enemy-only "Bite" as a weapon attribute is unlikely. Because then that would mean inventing new Session Skills to flow from it and assigning the new weakness to enemies. Sounds like too much work. Save ManaTiki to Special Performances and whatnot.
    • Tiki does use a staff in the Bloom Palace, and see she is magical Fire. Kiria uses "Rods" as her Carnages to cast magic, which look similar to staffs. So it is not unfeasible that Tiki's own Carnages will be Staffs and that she will be like Kiria a double primary magical unit.
      • When Touma, Eleonora, Mamori, Yashiro, and what appears to be Barry, are alllllll purely physical, another "mage" like Kiria will be appreciated on the "superficial balance" level. Tiki would fulfill that role.
      • What then will be Tiki's second magical elemental attribute for the sake of Sessions? She already has Fire.
        • I would rule out Force, since Barry is already adding a Force Sessionist. 
        • Since I deduced Maiko will get magical Ice, I can rule that out. Why add two Ice Sessionists?
          • Furthermore, SMT traditionally considers Fire and Ice opposites weak to each other on demons that exude the one or the other. Which gives more reason to doubt Ice on Tiki.
            • Therefore I can assume Tiki will be Magical Fire & Elec.

I could very well be wrong, and Elec isn't traditionally very draconic in FE. But this is my guess.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On the other hand, I wonder if we can get the following new costumes DLCs from Persona 3-5 (and 1-2)...

Itsuki: Minato/Yu/Ren
Tsubasa: Maya Amano (P2)/Minako aka Hamuko aka P3!FeMC/Kasumi
Touma: Junpei/Yosuke/Ryuji (to tie in with Eleonora, meta-wise)
Kiria: Yukino Mayuzumi (P1)/Ulala Serizawa (P2)/Marie
Yashiro: Akihiko/Theodore?/Goro
Eleonora: Yukari/Chie/Ann (to tie in with Touma, meta-wise), Lisa Silverman (P2)
Maiko: Eriko Kirishima (P1)/Mitsuru/Yukiko? (as both are voiced by Ami Koshimizu)
Barry: Kanji?
Mamori: Nanako, and especially her Kanamin Kitchen outfit, no doubt!
Tiki: Aigis?/Teddie?/Morgana?

Edited by henrymidfields

22 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Hide contents

25443240_1483570788427232_25662873626762

Oh, another good thing: I actually don't like J-Pop (or the majority of pop music), but I like the majority of the songs in TMS - especially Labyrinth and Reincarnation. I'm starting to wonder if Shoji Meguro had a hand in composing some of the songs - his music pieces can never seem to fail in the Persona games.

That's interesting! I'm not a fan or non-fan of J-Pop, it's really a song-by-song kind of basis for me, but I really appreciated how TMS went all-in on the aesthetics, not just going "hey look, you like J-Pop, right? Well, our game has J-Pop!" The music and industry are integrated into the story and world, the entire game is suffused with it and that makes it feel like something meaningful, rather than just trying to cash in on pop-culture or fandom. And I like how they used the different elements of Japanese idol industry, not just music but acting, commercials, photo shoots, variety shows, there's a real eclectic mix of things in there that the characters are involved with, and they used their struggles in and desires out of the industry to develop the characters across the story, I really appreciated that attention to detail and that they used the aesthetic, music, and industry to craft a really immersive and creative fictional version of Tokyo. I still just love running around in the different districts and talking to all the weirdos!

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looking at Barry, if you pause the trailer at 0:58, you get a good look at his Carnage Form.

Or a Basilio Mirage. I could it being see either, though Vaike is a blonde like Barry. And whichever he doesn't get I could see being added as a new boss in some side content.

Barry either way should be a "Barbarian", the non-Armor Axe "class" of enemy which the heroes didn't have anyone belonging to. Although he is wearing silvery armor, it is much less than Mamori's. And, nobody on the player's side share classes. Itsuki and Yashiro are "Lord" and "Myrmidon" respectively.

Maiko should be getting her own class, given there isn't a third sword one as is. And Tiki will have a new one too, with a Wyrmcide weakness if enemies get to use that now.

Some basic deducing of the new playable trio's primary attack attributes:

• The trailer also makes clear that Barry's weapon attribute will be Axe, and his primary elemental attribute will be physical Force.
  • Tiki will have Fire as a primary elemental attribute in the form of magical Fire.
    • That will be good, since Touma and Yashiro were both physical Fire primaries, unable to learn Bolganone and leaving out of the player's hands; Tiki should be getting that ultimate spell.
  • Maiko we know is Sword for her weapon attribute, but we don't know her elemental and whether she is physical or magical regarding it.
    • Nobody in the base game has two weapon attributes, so we can rule that out for now.
    • Having Sword makes her like Itsuki and Yashiro, so she can't have either's primary elemental attribute or else she is the exact same. Itsuki's primary elemental is magical Elec, and Yashiro's is physical Fire.
      • Since Body and Mind cannot be Session'ed off of barring the addition of new Sessions Skills, if we exclude having the other of magical Fire or magical Elec, then that leaves Maiko with either Ice or Force. 
        • Of these two, given the black dress and change from dark to light blue hair, we can assume Azura as Maiko's Mirage.
          • If we assume Azura, then we can recall Azura can bend water in Fates.
            • As ice and water are the same thing in two different forms and SMT usually only has an Ice element under which watery things are placed, then, it is safe to say Maiko will be Sword+Ice.
              • As for physical or magical ice, Azura canonically would say magical. And it wouldn't be impossible due to redundancy with Kiria, since Touma and Yashiro already overlap as physical Fire.
  • Tiki's second primary attribute is unknown.
    • Dragonstone or Breath or that TMS enemy-only "Bite" as a weapon attribute is unlikely. Because then that would mean inventing new Session Skills to flow from it and assigning the new weakness to enemies. Sounds like too much work. Save ManaTiki to Special Performances and whatnot.
    • Tiki does use a staff in the Bloom Palace, and see she is magical Fire. Kiria uses "Rods" as her Carnages to cast magic, which look similar to staffs. So it is not unfeasible that Tiki's own Carnages will be Staffs and that she will be like Kiria a double primary magical unit.
      • When Touma, Eleonora, Mamori, Yashiro, and what appears to be Barry, are alllllll purely physical, another "mage" like Kiria will be appreciated on the "superficial balance" level. Tiki would fulfill that role.
      • What then will be Tiki's second magical elemental attribute for the sake of Sessions? She already has Fire.
        • I would rule out Force, since Barry is already adding a Force Sessionist. 
        • Since I deduced Maiko will get magical Ice, I can rule that out. Why add two Ice Sessionists?
          • Furthermore, SMT traditionally considers Fire and Ice opposites weak to each other on demons that exude the one or the other. Which gives more reason to doubt Ice on Tiki.
            • Therefore I can assume Tiki will be Magical Fire & Elec.

I could very well be wrong, and Elec isn't traditionally very draconic in FE. But this is my guess.

Whoa! Thanks for the analysis. It would be cool to see them pull characters from more than Awakening and Shadow Dragon, bringing in Azura could be a neat way to do that. Whether or not people like her in Fates, each of the Mirages in TMS have interesting changes on their original personalities. Whoever Maiko and Barry's Mirages are, it'll be really neat to see how they both reflect and contrast with their counterparts from their source games. I'm so excited that Maiko, Barry, and Tiki are all going to be playable! And now Sessions are going to be even longer and more ridiculous, which I'm all about. 

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I know you TMS # FE...you’re dead, we killed you...we killed you!

*Unloads Gun*

WE KILLED YOU!!!

Said Kiria to Itsuki, Maiko, and also Touma for no reason and good measure.

21 hours ago, Wraith said:

I know you TMS # FE...you’re dead, we killed you...we killed you!

*Unloads Gun*

WE KILLED YOU!!!

Deal with it.

As in, if you're that disappointed, then you have no place in this subforum.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:09 AM, Mikethemaster2018 said:

Why atlus make some good games. unless JRPG not your taste.

It really boils down to the fact that I am a Christian, and I've heard the game has quite a bit of fan service, and it also has connections to SMT, which is extremely anti_Christian, with God literally being the final boss of some games, even I know one time using YHVH as His name in the final boss fight,  that just so happens to be the name God gave Moses when he asked Him what His name was in Exodus 3 . " Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?”  God said to Moses, “I am who I am.”] And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: I am has sent me to you.’”  God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘The Lord,[b] the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations. " "I Am Who I Am" just happens to be the way it is translated in English 

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

Deal with it.

As in, if you're that disappointed, then you have no place in this subforum.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. 

Edited by Wraith

22 hours ago, LightWarrior said:

It really boils down to the fact that I am a Christian, and I've heard the game has quite a bit of fan service, and it also has connections to SMT, which is extremely anti_Christian, with God literally being the final boss of some games, even I know one time using YHVH as His name in the final boss fight,  that just so happens to be the name God gave Moses when he asked Him what His name was in Exodus 3 . " Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?”  God said to Moses, “I am who I am.”] And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: I am has sent me to you.’”  God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘The Lord,[b] the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations. " "I Am Who I Am" just happens to be the way it is translated in English 

I have a lot to say about this, but this isn't the topic for it.

13 hours ago, Wraith said:

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. 

Let me make it clearer:

If all you're going to do is bitch about this game, either get our or I suspend you until this game is released for the Switch.  Which will be a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Still shocked that Nintendo would port this of all..

I guess being that the Switch is not backwards compatable, they have to bring as many games as possible...

I would want to rant about this but since there is a cult in this game and being so naive isn't really a good idea at this point, I'll get the game but only because its related to Fire Emblem and nothing else and that this is technically a Nintendo game nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

I may...or may not...get the game since I still have the Wii U version. I mean I'm not that excited for it really.

Sure it's good that Tiki, Barry and Maiko are gonna be playable but I'm not sure if this along with other new contents warrants paying another $60 for the same game.

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/26033

Info from the upcoming Famitsu -

New songs and MV, including a Kiriya/Tsubasa one.

Avex is producing the songs.

New costumes and you can turn Tsubasa's glasses on and off.

Maiko joins in battle, but only through sessions.

New story for Tiki, adventure for the protagonists and dungeon. It's mentioned that although the original game favored an Atlus-like worldview, the new content this time is pushing FE in a stronger way.

I kind of enjoyed this game, but the overall concept was a big misfire and I don't think they're doing anything to fix that here.

2 hours ago, NeonZ said:

Maiko joins in battle, but only through sessions.

🙁

Please don't let Tiki and Barry be the same way! Tiki probably won't be, but now I'm concerned about Barry. Yes he's a creep, but I don't care about that if he's playable. 

If Barry drops out too, my incentive to double-dip at least immediately will take a serious blow.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer