Tokyo Mirage Sessions Officially Announced for Switch Hype Thread

Chiming in to say I'm hyped. Loved the original, will love the port also. Tbh I don't care so much as of how the game leans into FE/SMT lore, it's just a good rpg to play with flashy menus, catchy music and an amazing battle system. I hope there will be more games with that kind of session system, really hits a sweet spot with me. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am tempted to buy it, since I never played the WiiU version... but maybe I should wait a little bit...

I still didn't buy Three Houses DLC Pack yet, since none of the previous added content were considered by me "good", and the only one that I could be interested is the extra story content, and in april I am planning to buy Trials of Mana so I could save my money for it.

Since it's a licensed Nintendo game, it has better chances of getting a price drop in specific periods, like E3, Summer/Winter sales and Black Friday, so I can wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the censorship THAT terrible? I mean, I don't mind it that much, but I just saw that an entire chapter was heavily butchered. I was considering getting it today, but I'm not sure now. Does it affect the overall enjoyment of the game?

Edited by Spectrum

3 hours ago, Spectrum said:

Is the censorship THAT terrible? I mean, I don't mind it that much, but I just saw that an entire chapter was heavily butchered. I was considering getting it today, but I'm not sure now. Does it affect the overall enjoyment of the game?

No. In fact it affects, basically, nothing. It's more where one philosophically stands on the nature of censorship as a whole.

10 hours ago, Spectrum said:

If you don't mind the fact that an entire chapter's premise was changed, then no.  Luckily, the rest of the changes don't really affect the story, and said chapter's gutting results in a pretty nice costume swap for a certain character.

16 hours ago, Spectrum said:

It's the reason I skipped out on the wii u version. That plus incomplete dlc was a huge turn off but, I decided to get the Encore version despite still having those problems just because I was still interested to see what was up with the game and the interesting looking combat and honestly, I'm having a blast with it.

I'm still not a fan of the changes but I can overlook it because, besides chapter 2, they're pretty minor and don't detract much from the story or gameplay. My only issue with game right now is the untranslated battle dialogue. Sounds interesting but too bad I can only understand a few select lines and bits and pieces of others. Truly the peak of lazy localization. If you aren't gonna dub it the least you could've done is add subtitles. Still an enjoyable game despite it though.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, NegativeExponents- said:

That plus incomplete dlc was a huge turn off but

Is this still the case with Encore? (I assume it is.)

On 1/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, NegativeExponents- said:

Truly the peak of lazy localization. If you aren't gonna dub it the least you could've done is add subtitles. Still an enjoyable game despite it though.

Rerecording 300+ lines of dialogue in Japanese to match the changes to the script (and making a ton of brand new models and textures) is hardly lazy. More of just having their priorities in the wrong place and dropping the ball where it actually matters for a localization effort.

22 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Is this still the case with Encore? (I assume it is.)

Yeah, that's still the case.

22 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Rerecording 300+ lines of dialogue in Japanese to match the changes to the script (and making a ton of brand new models and textures) is hardly lazy. More of just having their priorities in the wrong place and dropping the ball where it actually matters for a localization effort.

Ok maybe they weren't lazy and I actually did think of that while typing things out but I do think they had their priorities mixed up like you said. After all, it's weird that they would go through such lengths for censorship and yet not bother with actually dubbing or translating stuff.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:32 AM, Spectrum said:

Considering that entire chapter's original premise was kinda creepy in the wrong way, it's actually for the best it was changed. Just...YECH

13 hours ago, Aiddon said:

Considering that entire chapter's original premise was kinda creepy in the wrong way, it's actually for the best it was changed. Just...YECH

It's kinda why I wanted the original.  One of the darker sides of idol culture is that it attracts some utter creeps.

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

It's kinda why I wanted the original.  One of the darker sides of idol culture is that it attracts some utter creeps.

But isn't the original message something along the lines of ignore your compunctions and just strip? Like, unironically.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

But isn't the original message something along the lines of ignore your compunctions and just strip? Like, unironically.

The chapter highlights gravure modeling, which is apparently one way to launch a career as an idol in Japan.  That's what I meant by the creepy side of idol culture.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

The chapter highlights gravure modeling, which is apparently one way to launch a career as an idol in Japan.  That's what I meant by the creepy side of idol culture.

Oh. I kind of thought you were suggesting it was alerting the creepy side in a cautionary way rather than just alerting it neutrally (or even positively).

Having played both Wii U and Switch versions ( I was that one weirdo who bought the SE Wii U version) I have to say the Switch version is great.  I like the new side stories and the new song is fun.  Of course this game being in my top three favorite games list helps, but this is a really fun good game and I hope more people play it on the Switch and enjoy it as much as I do. 

Just bought the game today, I honestly have no idea what to expect, but it still looks pretty interesting. Anyone have any general tips or advice?