Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition!!!

Brave Lance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t05hX5TaTGM

I knew that MonolithSoft had been quiet for a suspicious amount of time. After Torna, I assumed they had gone right back to working completely on XC3, but if they're tiding us over with this remaster then the third game must be something huge that'll close out the switch. 

I can't wait to play the game in updated graphics- not to say that I don't appreciate the original, but I'm a huge fan of how Shulk and Fiora looked in the XC2 DLC. 

This is kind of an odd move for them, though. Maybe they weren't satisfied with the 3DS port (I know I wasn't) and wanted to try again. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for an X port. 

They don't really like going back to previous games in general, so the mere existence of the remaster is surprising, but I'm all for it.

If this version of the game adds anything more than a graphical update, I'd probably hope for a more updated UI and a challenge mode similar to what we had in XC2. But the game is practically perfect already, so I can't ask for much. 

12 minutes ago, Brave Lance said:

If this version of the game adds anything more than a graphical update, I'd probably hope for a more updated UI and a challenge mode similar to what we had in XC2. But the game is practically perfect already, so I can't ask for much. 

The end showed the Bionis Left Shoulder, which was cut in the original game due to time constraints.

The mere existence of this area in the Definitive Edition means that the story will likely be tweaked in order to accommodate, as well as some.....grander things (major spoilers).

Spoiler

The scene with Klaus will likely be changed to match that of Xenoblade 2, and it'll probably confirm that Alvis is indeed Ontos.

I don't really buy games twice if I still have the original, but damn... this one looks really tempting. The character models look great and the Bionis Shoulder could be a really interesting addition. So yeah, really happy that this is a thing so that more people can play this game, even if I don't pick it up for myself.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The end showed the Bionis Left Shoulder, which was cut in the original game due to time constraints.

The mere existence of this area in the Definitive Edition means that the story will likely be tweaked in order to accommodate,

Wasn't there plans for a scene where they return to the place where you get the ether cylinder at the start of the game, where, as you know...

Spoiler

Fiora found a body regeneration machine?

I'm doubtful they'll add the mass-production Monados post-Mechonis Core that I thought I heard was planned. Mass production Monados sound like they could be made to work, but the game has to explicitly explain why they don't make everyone as special as Shulk.

Exploring the BLS would definitely interest me, even if it looks redundant with the Leg. Maybe we'll find a lone surviving giant living in that one big house? Highly intelligent Tirkins or a new species or Nopon living in the tiny hovels. -Though they could bulldoze that stuff from the beta BLS and replace it with normal Homs settlements.

If there is any minor addition to XC1 the game should make, it's a feature to turn off EXP gain, or gain at least from quests. Or just get rid of that darned level curve altogether. It does nobody any good.

And I hope they add playable...

Spoiler

Vanea, I thought I heard she was supposed to be. Was there artwork of her with a whip?

Not sure what they'd do with her in gameplay.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wasn't there plans for a scene where they return to the place where you get the ether cylinder at the start of the game,

Yeah, it never made it into the game but it was in some art book iirc.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If there is any minor addition to XC1 the game should make, it's a feature to turn off EXP gain, or gain at least from quests.

Just do the bonus EXP system from the Alrest games.

Speaking of, since we never saw any actual combat in the trailer, i get the feeling the battle system is being revamped. Perhaps they're ditching the Art pallet and going for mapping them to buttons like in the Alrest games? And yeah, they definitely should get rid of the level penalties at the very least. 

Looking forward to how XC1:DE develops.

I played through the original myself and then saw an LP that used the "HD Texture Pack," which made it look great. Now the Definite Edition comes along and it also looks upgraded. Although, I think I'm going to miss the classic look for nostalgia purposes since that is what I'm used to.

At any rate, I need to see the GameXplain comparison video... Actually, I'll just do a quick one myself (DE vs HD Pack). The image is in the spoiler. It's not great, but it gets the job done.

Spoiler

l0GdWfp.png

Yeah, I can see myself missing the "upgraded classic look" when compared to the DE revamp, but I can't wait to see what all is new in the DE edition.

I still think I prefer the original XC to 2, although I did love the Torna DLC for 2. I wonder if there will be any additional DLC for the Definitive Editon (perhaps Rex + Pyra/Mythra crossing over to Shulk's world this time around?)

Edited by Sire

I already have Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, but this looks good enough for me to get it again. And it looks like a good mix of the artstyles of XC1 and XC2 too; I particularly like the lighting on Metal Face here.

I'm mainly interested in seeing

Spoiler

how things will be adjusted to account for XC2's existence (interested enough to buy the game again it seems, even if such changes would only be apparent during the end of the game). Hopefully they'll confirm if Alvis is you-know-who at least. I also kind of want Alvis to become playable but I don't think that will happen.

My drive to play the first game died at some point soldiering through 2. The opportunity was always there for 20 dollars on Wii U. But I also remember claiming I would play 1 if it was properly remastered for Switch. This Direct had a lot of personal wish fulfillment for me, and it would be rude to say no to the hands of fate so...I'll play it at some point before I die. That should clear my karma.

Edited by Glennstavos

I never got to play the game (my sister had a Wii but I wasn't interested in those games back then) so I'm really excited to play this game.

I've had a blast with XB2/Torna and I've heard that this game is even better so this is definitely a pre order. Hell, I might even try to get a limited edition if there will be one. I also got that version for XB2 (though I have to admit that was a coincidence).

Not the most exiting way to end a direct but a welcome announcement all the same. I remember not being impressed with Shulk's more anime look in Xenoblade II. Maybe more exposure will make me warm up on it. 

I'm mostly interested in the scrapped content that's supposedly getting add. I wonder if they make some references to Xenoblade II.

But poor Xenoblade Chronicles X. It kinda needed that re-release more. 

Oh good, spoiler tags. Still haven't beaten the Wii one, I know pretty much...the ending though.

What I'd like to be added:

Spoiler

Show us Xord's true form. Give us a sidequest, perhaps now that the Bionis Shoulder is in it can be located there, where he's found crawled out of Bronze Face, dead, with an envelope in his hand. The envelope is a goodbye letter to Desiree that he wrote after being snapped out of what he became, but before he died. His exploding bowling ball act would have to be tweaked or removed for this though.

He may have looked something like this.

Image result for steampunk blacksmith figure

Playable Vanea would be amazing, don't think that's too much of a spoil.

Wishful thing that would never happen but a gal can dream:

Spoiler

Gadolt lives DLC. Am I seriously the only one who loves this guy? GODSPEED SOLDIER. :( I mean, I'd like Kallian to survive too, but his death appears more...story important and even more irreversable. Didn't get to the part where you kill him. Got it spoiled that he's a boss that dies.

The new style looks good. I think putting Shulk in more anime style really brings out the "clueless cinnamon roll who will fuck you up if you piss him off" deal he's got going on. 

48 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Kind of disappointed that Xenoblade 2's art style is the one they seem to be moving forward with in future. I always that that XC2's environments were gorgeous but its characters looked unimpressive and unfitting.

It's more of the engine than the actual artstyle when you compare the recently released artwork of DE Shulk and Fiora and the artwork of the main cast of Xenoblade 2.

Edit: even XB2 Shulk looks noticably different when compared to his DE appearance.

Edited by Armagon

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wait, they're doing voices over? That's both exciting and a bit disappointing. I think they nailed most of them perfectly, everyone felt very fitting for their roles.

48 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wait, they're doing voices over? That's both exciting and a bit disappointing. I think they nailed most of them perfectly, everyone felt very fitting for their roles.

Well we know for fact that Adam Howden did some work. Whether or not it's with DE is yet to be confirmed but it's likely they will because of the Bionis Shoulder. 

My tweet was more in reference to the fact that Jenna Coleman is the biggest name out of any of the Xenoblade voice cast. So it's hard to say whether or not she comes back to voice Melia.

Just now, Armagon said:

Well we know for fact that Adam Howden did some work. Whether or not it's with DE is yet to be confirmed but it's likely they will because of the Bionis Shoulder. 

My tweet was more in reference to the fact that Jenna Coleman is the biggest name out of any of the Xenoblade voice cast. So it's hard to say whether or not she comes back to voice Melia.

Got it, that's good to hear, then.

Oh, I didn't know that, wow. I heard they're putting some of the cut content back in, what's that about? Or is it even true?

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Got it, that's good to hear, then.

Oh, I didn't know that, wow. I heard they're putting some of the cut content back in, what's that about? Or is it even true?

EDp5i7hUYAIsmmJ?format=jpg&name=large

Yes, right from the trailer. Was that floating island with the blue underside originally there though? Prolly not, but TBF, the Shoulder was unfinished.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

EDp5i7hUYAIsmmJ?format=jpg&name=large

Yes, right from the trailer. Was that floating island with the blue underside originally there though? Prolly not, but TBF, the Shoulder was unfinished.

Oh, I didn't watch the trailer, so I didn't know that. Surely there's more than this, though?

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh, I didn't watch the trailer, so I didn't know that. Surely there's more than this, though?

Here's a video featuring the exploration of the Bionis Shoulder. Area's incomplete and it'll definitely see some changes in the Definitive Edition but if you want to get an idea of what the Shoulder is, here you go.