Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition!!!

Brave Lance

Besides the Bionis Shoulder, I really hope they address the "short story" that was released separately that explains... (major spoilers for XC1)

Spoiler

How Fiora got her Homs body back. Specifically, the thing they discover than can transform her back into a Homs, or something similar.

That aside, I've been watching Miiks analysis of the trailer and it catches so many things I missed. One of the notable ones being brand new outfits! There's also of other stuff there too, so I suggest giving it a watch if you are interested in learning what information can be gleamed from the trailer.

Aside from the obvious I don't think the plot needs to be changed, but here's a wishlist of gameplay changes I would like to see (most of which were inspired by the later Xenoblade games):

• An Event Theater to rewatch cutscenes
  • Quest Markers to show you where quest objectives are (so you don't have to look up where to find certain enemies/places)
  • Make level penalties less crippling
  • Include Fashion Gear from XCX (so you can wear one armor while benefiting from the stats of another), because I want to keep everyone in their canon outfits
  • Voiced Heart-to-Hearts (since they are apparently adding new dialogue)
  • Bonus experience
  • General balance changes/AI fixes

Another change i'd like to see regarding Heart-to-Hearts is the Affinity requirements. A lot of Heart-to-Hearts in Xenoblade 1 actually had a decently high Affinity requirement and i didn't like that. That's why i loved it when Xenoblade 2's Heart-to-Hearts could usually be viewed the moment you find them

11 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Maybe a way to make gem-crafting less random would be nice? As it is, it takes quite a while to gem craft, and i'd say it's pretty important.

That I think is the bigger issue. It at first looks like a minigame, but actually you have no control over anything. You take two characters with low affinity and bad gem growth skills (Heroponx7 being ideal), get as close to but not at or over 100% as possible. And then use a high Affinity duo like ReynxDunban to go for Mega Heat, resetting if you don't get it.

I like not having an actual minigame to deal with, but this isn't ideal either. And, it sorta forces you to never use a certain two characters together.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That I think is the bigger issue. It at first looks like a minigame, but actually you have no control over anything. You take two characters with low affinity and bad gem growth skills (Heroponx7 being ideal), get as close to but not at or over 100% as possible. And then use a high Affinity duo like ReynxDunban to go for Mega Heat, resetting if you don't get it.

I like not having an actual minigame to deal with, but this isn't ideal either. And, it sorta forces you to never use a certain two characters together.

Oh, I just meant that it usually takes me half an hour to finish gem crafting, which is far too long. But your right, resetting for the perfect outcome is kind of a pain.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'd say Gem Crafting needs to be clarified more. I still don't understand how it actually works.

This is a good point, actually... I never thought about it, really.

Another thing, I know this doesn't need mentioning, but hopefully the accuracy reduction on being a lower level than your enemy by 5+ doesn't kill your accuracy. It's a pain, and it takes away from trying to have a fun challenge, some people like to make it a little more difficult.

Oh yessssss. This looks amazing. Everything is so much more colorful now! (Satorl Marsh is going to be gorgeous *o*)  I'm so glad they're restoring the cut content, too. 

One thing I wonder regarding XBC2 is (bigass spoilers for both games)

Spoiler

Rex and co. bringing the Titans into a "new world" at the end. Is that the same world that was created at the end XBC1, to replace the Bionis and Mechonis? That's the impression I got, anyways, and I wonder if the DE will add a new cutscene to show it.

13 minutes ago, Scoot said:

One thing I wonder regarding XBC2 is (bigass spoilers for both games)

Reveal hidden contents

Rex and co. bringing the Titans into a "new world" at the end. Is that the same world that was created at the end XBC1, to replace the Bionis and Mechonis? That's the impression I got, anyways, and I wonder if the DE will add a new cutscene to show it.

Spoiler

If anything I think the other way around is more likely, with Shulk/Alvis bringing everyone to the restored Earth rather than creating a new one. The Architect's time reconstructing the world would be wasted if everyone just left for another universe, which is implausible anyway since the Conduit left by the time Rex and co. "entered" the new world.

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:
  Hide contents

If anything I think the other way around is more likely, with Shulk/Alvis bringing everyone to the restored Earth rather than creating a new one. The Architect's time reconstructing the world would be wasted if everyone just left for another universe, which is implausible anyway since the Conduit left by the time Rex and co. "entered" the new world.

Spoiler

Watching the ending cutscene again, I think I see what you mean. The new world was the one the Architect created, and the Cloud Sea and Titans were a temporary home while it was cooking, so to speak. I was under the impression that the game world was ultimately what the Architect had created, and it was destroyed when he died. It's hard to explain, but I think he had "Elysium" waiting in a separate place and it was finally merged with Morytha/destroyed Earth at the end.

So i've mentioned before that while i hope they keep the combat the same, i want them to use the streamlined Art selection of the Alrest games. So i did a rough mockup, one with the Art descriptions and one without.

EEo-hS3XkAAmQiz?format=jpg&name=small

EEo-hS-WsAAUNNo?format=jpg&name=900x900

Other things to note: retreating and issuing commands would work like it does in Alrest. Selecting and healing and whatnot would work the same way it does in Xenoblade 1: press the Art and then select the target.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:02 AM, Armagon said:

So i've mentioned before that while i hope they keep the combat the same, i want them to use the streamlined Art selection of the Alrest games. So i did a rough mockup, one with the Art descriptions and one without.

EEo-hS3XkAAmQiz?format=jpg&name=small

EEo-hS-WsAAUNNo?format=jpg&name=900x900

Other things to note: retreating and issuing commands would work like it does in Alrest. Selecting and healing and whatnot would work the same way it does in Xenoblade 1: press the Art and then select the target.

I think the idea is good, but with eight arts, it takes up too much of the screen, making it hard to see, also it wouldn't allow the quickest way of scrolling through your arts.

Anyway, I just played Xenoblade, and when playing I noticed that arts that daze do not fill the party gauge up even though it's an "artful execution" effect. From the games tutorial, this should fill it, I would like them to address this.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I think the idea is good, but with eight arts, it takes up too much of the screen, making it hard to see, also it wouldn't allow the quickest way of scrolling through your arts.

Well Xenoblade 2 and Torna already had eight selections (Three Arts, Special, the Blades and if you're playing Torna, Talent Art) so that's my main reasoning as to why i think it can be done. Obviously, my mockup is rough and has visual errors but Monolith Soft could definitely make it work.

The method is also just a faster way of selecting Arts than the pallet which is the main reason why i want it. Xenoblade 1 combat just isn't as smooth to me.

21 hours ago, Armagon said:

Well Xenoblade 2 and Torna already had eight selections (Three Arts, Special, the Blades and if you're playing Torna, Talent Art) so that's my main reasoning as to why i think it can be done. Obviously, my mockup is rough and has visual errors but Monolith Soft could definitely make it work.

The method is also just a faster way of selecting Arts than the pallet which is the main reason why i want it. Xenoblade 1 combat just isn't as smooth to me.

Right, but you use the pad to switch blades, and i'm not sure how I would feel using the pad to activate arts.

Oh, really? I always liked the pallete, honestly.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Right, but you use the pad to switch blades, and i'm not sure how I would feel using the pad to activate arts.

It'd be the same feeling. At it's core, Blade switching is just accessing a new set of Arts. And in Torna, Blade switching itself counts as an Art so like...

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh, really? I always liked the pallete, honestly

The pallet has a charm that i like but after the Alrest games, i feel that the pallet doesn't make combat flow as smoothly. But maybe that's because Xenoblade 1 is more dated. I never played X, maybe the pallet is really good there. Who knows.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

It'd be the same feeling. At it's core, Blade switching is just accessing a new set of Arts. And in Torna, Blade switching itself counts as an Art so like...

The pallet has a charm that i like but after the Alrest games, i feel that the pallet doesn't make combat flow as smoothly. But maybe that's because Xenoblade 1 is more dated. I never played X, maybe the pallet is really good there. Who knows.

Hmm, maybe your right, it would just take some time adjusting to, is all.

Also, where would the abilty descriptions go?

The pallete in x is... well, you need a microscope to read the text, which is awful. Other than that, it's essentially the same as the first ones.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Well that's what my mockup is there for. Granted, Monolith Soft will make it look significantly better.

I wouldn't want it took take up too much of the screen, either, making it too hard to see what's going on. Considering in handheld mode, the switch's screen is not that big, i'm a bit concerned about how they will address this.

• 6 months later...
On 9/7/2019 at 7:27 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Aside from the obvious I don't think the plot needs to be changed, but here's a wishlist of gameplay changes I would like to see (most of which were inspired by the later Xenoblade games):

• An Event Theater to rewatch cutscenes
  • Quest Markers to show you where quest objectives are (so you don't have to look up where to find certain enemies/places)
  • Make level penalties less crippling
  • Include Fashion Gear from XCX (so you can wear one armor while benefiting from the stats of another), because I want to keep everyone in their canon outfits
  • Voiced Heart-to-Hearts (since they are apparently adding new dialogue)
  • Bonus experience

I know the topic is old, but the subject is still good :)!

My wishlist:

@Lightchao42 suggestions:

• Event Theater
  • Quest Maker to show you where quest objectives are. Specially for "gathering quests". (Is frustrating try to find some itens and don't have a single clue from where it could be).
  • Voiced Heart-to-Hearts

My suggestions:

• Shulk Choose Melia insted of Fiora (Dream 🙂)
  • New playable characters
  • New Pos endgame mode (some kind of challenge, it could be online or not)
  • A way to change character in the middle of combat (like in Torna)
  • Run with character (like Xenoblade X but not so fast)
  • Switch feature to record video ON.
  • Amiibo for each playable character.

Edited by LP-Aragorn

While we're bumped, rumors had been floating around that this'll be a late Spring/early Summer release, though the Coronavirus stuff may have changed that. There is also a rumor of a Nintendo Direct happening in the very near future (like probably this week) with a release date.

Remember with the Virus going around the dates may end up being delayed, but I have a feeling XC:DE may be ready to go and is just waiting for the physical distribution to catch up.

I highly suspect they will be expanding on that short story idea, unless what happens in "Future Connected" is after the "ending" of XC1. Further details in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Short Story: Where Fiora got her human form back, given I believe it does happen in a capsule or something. It is possible this story arc may be present with a new arc present as well. This fits well with the "Capsule" idea.

"After Story:" After the ending sequence, it may explain how Shulk and Fiora ended up in XC2's world. Given their lines, it seems that they already completed their adventure if I am remembering things correctly. This is more related to that rift thing in the sky.
-- However, I don't know if the "re-made world" is in the image of Bionis. If not, then it will have to happen before the ending of the game.

I guess the main thing I'm worried about is the EN voice for Melia being recast since her original VA may be too expensive now or doesn't have time for the voiceovers due to her relative popularity.

I hear some people say Shulk design looks a bit off. What I haven't really heard so far is that Shulk is kinda whitewashed. 

In the original game and Smash Shulk has a very light tan. Most of the Homs in the game seem to be either tanned or black. Yet in the definitive edition Shulk is just your average blonde white boy.