Could I ask for some help? On grinding S supports

Sorry to bother about this, but I'm having trouble getting this to work, and not sure if it's me or if I'm misinformed. So I know if you have a male Byleth say, you get your supports up for the straight guys (Caspar, Sylvain, etc) even after you attain A rank. And I've seen this can lead to being able to buy S supports for the female byleth. I did this once by accident, after beating my first run with female byleth, I could buy S support with Leonie. I want to take advantage of this to cut down grinding.

I figure grinding in battle's the easiest. From what I've read, the hearts eventually stop in battle, and that's the goal. Nothing unusual there. Yet I've set up male byelth surrounded by units (Claude, Raphael, Lorenz, Ignatz, surrounded by units with broken weapons) and let them wail on me for 99 turns, and the hearts kept coming. So I did it for a second battle. 99 turns. Still, the hearts keep appearing. I've been able to grind out A supports in a single battle and rarely need 2, and I've never needed 3 battles for an A support. And if I'm reading the numbers right, the hearts should have stopped by now, but haven't. I'm going to try a third battle tomorrow when I can, but I'm getting worried that I've made a mistake somewhere. 

Anywho, if anyone here knows more about this, I'd love to hear from you. I'm hoping someone here has done this, can confirm the hearts stop, or give some insight to how many combats are needed, something to help make sense of this. I'd appreciate your help. Thank you for your time. 

I've never heard that the hearts stop.  If you look at a character's roster page you'll see a ranked list of the other characters they're closest too.  This determines which paired endings they get.  I suspect there's no upper limit to hearts so you can grind them and customize that list to pick which paired endings you get.

12 hours ago, bookwormbabe29 said:

Sorry to bother about this, but I'm having trouble getting this to work, and not sure if it's me or if I'm misinformed. So I know if you have a male Byleth say, you get your supports up for the straight guys (Caspar, Sylvain, etc) even after you attain A rank. And I've seen this can lead to being able to buy S supports for the female byleth. I did this once by accident, after beating my first run with female byleth, I could buy S support with Leonie. I want to take advantage of this to cut down grinding.

I figure grinding in battle's the easiest. From what I've read, the hearts eventually stop in battle, and that's the goal. Nothing unusual there. Yet I've set up male byelth surrounded by units (Claude, Raphael, Lorenz, Ignatz, surrounded by units with broken weapons) and let them wail on me for 99 turns, and the hearts kept coming. So I did it for a second battle. 99 turns. Still, the hearts keep appearing. I've been able to grind out A supports in a single battle and rarely need 2, and I've never needed 3 battles for an A support. And if I'm reading the numbers right, the hearts should have stopped by now, but haven't. I'm going to try a third battle tomorrow when I can, but I'm getting worried that I've made a mistake somewhere. 

Anywho, if anyone here knows more about this, I'd love to hear from you. I'm hoping someone here has done this, can confirm the hearts stop, or give some insight to how many combats are needed, something to help make sense of this. I'd appreciate your help. Thank you for your time. 

The upper limit to hearts you can acquire is much, much higher than the number you need to get to S rank.

For more details look into some of the data mining that has been done, but the gist of it is this:

You start at 0 support points and unlock C at 100. Each successive 100 point margin reaches a new support rank, though may not unlock a new conversation.

You stop accumulating support points after you reach the amount needed for a  support conversation, and for good measure, the game internally resets your points back to the level of that conversation after you do it. After the conversation, support increases normally again.

It takes 1000 support points to unlock S-rank, which is the highest rank you can get, though for students, it's actually A.

However, the maximum number of points is actually over 4000, and the supports will increase even after you've maxed them out. This is used to calculate paired endings.

Now we get to the important part. The highest ranking supports for each pairing, be they B, A, or S, do NOT cap support points. Points will continue to increase even if you have unlocked the conversation, but haven't viewed it yet. This is likely an oversight. Activating these conversations will restore points to normal.

So, basically, you unlocked S support ages ago, and now you're just grinding to keep any of the units you're grinding on from ever getting a paired ending with anyone.

17 hours ago, bookwormbabe29 said:

I figure grinding in battle's the easiest. From what I've read, the hearts eventually stop in battle, and that's the goal.

I believe someone mentioned that, through battling (next to each other or as an adjunct), it takes Byleth much longer to get to a certain rank than non-Byleth x non-Byleth. Probably somewhere along the likes of 1 (or slightly more than 1) support point per action. That means you will be grinding many battles with Byleth to eventually reach S-rank (C support is 100 points, C+ support is 200 points total, B support is 300 points total, B+ support is 450 points total, A support is 600 points total, A+ support is 800 points total, and S support is 1000 points total). For the trick you mentioned, you need to hit 1001 points with the non-marriable unit (with current gender), since the game adds a support point to mark the support convo as "viewed" internally.

5 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

However, the maximum number of points is actually over 4000, and the supports will increase even after you've maxed them out. This is used to calculate paired endings. 

Just wondering, how did you get this amount? From what I have seen, the Save Editor seems to stop at 1000 or 1001 for everyone. That means that even if someone is ready for something such as an A+ support, they are at 800 points. From there, you can have two characters keep on grinding support points (they will cap out at 1,001 points) to guarantee a paired ending (you don't need to cap out at 1,001 for this).

Edited by MrPerson0

5 hours ago, kremelover said:

But supports from A to S rank, cannot be risen in battle.

Of course, you have to manually pick who you want to marry. However, after A support, you can still build support points in battle. Many people have confirmed that in their first NG+, they were able to purchase an S rank support with a character they didn't marry, and people have figured out why it happened.

Huh. I'd also like to know how much testing you've done on that dragonlord, as I've not seen those numbers anywhere else. Would explain things, as I know how to get C, B, A, and S for my current character, it's trying to unlock S supports for the other gender my next run I'm not sure about. It makes sense from what I've tested so far, but I've had people swear X, Y, and Z, are all true, and found out, shockingly, that people on the internet can be wrong! Crazy though, right? 😉   Anywho, not trying to call you out or anything, just wondering how you came by this knowledge. 

This thread just answered my questions on how are paired endings determined. I've been seeking this information, but couldn't find anything solid.

I'd also like to know more about this mechanic in greater details, though. Like what is the support points raised with each action, and more detailed logic on how the game picks pairs for ending.

4 hours ago, bookwormbabe29 said:

Huh. I'd also like to know how much testing you've done on that dragonlord, as I've not seen those numbers anywhere else. Would explain things, as I know how to get C, B, A, and S for my current character, it's trying to unlock S supports for the other gender my next run I'm not sure about. It makes sense from what I've tested so far, but I've had people swear X, Y, and Z, are all true, and found out, shockingly, that people on the internet can be wrong! Crazy though, right? 😉   Anywho, not trying to call you out or anything, just wondering how you came by this knowledge. 

No testing on my part, just things I read on forums, which is why I really encourage people to look up the stuff for yourselves.

As you said, it is changing a lot. The 4,000 number I think has been disproven, as I'm re-reading threads from like a week ago. I think that came from an earlier post.

But yeah, double checking, the most recent stuff (the info I'm looking at now comes from about a week ago) says that it caps at 1,001 no matter what.

Edited by dragonlordsd

Just for the information of those wondering where to get detailed explanation of the support system:

This feels quite flawed (the support system, not the post) to be honest, but it does give good clues on how to aim for particular, desired endings.

Edited by nocturnal YL

5 hours ago, nocturnal YL said:

This thread just answered my questions on how are paired endings determined. I've been seeking this information, but couldn't find anything solid. 

I posted this on GameFAQs, may as well post it here:

From what I gathered, here's how supports work (these numbers cannot be viewed within the game, you need to extract your save and view through an editor):

C support is 100 points total
C+ support is 200 points total
B support is 300 points total
B+ support is 450 points total
A support is 600 points total
A+ support is 800 points total

Once you have viewed a support, 1 point is added to mark it as "read".

However, even if you reach A rank (or A+ rank) and view the convo, you can still accumulate points until you cap out at 1,001. This is, what I believe, determines paired endings (at the very least, an A rank is required). Now, for example, if Annette is at 1,001 points with both Dimitri and Mecedes. The game will look into its internal list (which matches the Global Support Log that you can access from the menu), see which one has precedence, then give that one a paired ending (Annette x Dimitri in this case) assuming that Dimitri doesn't have 1,001 points with Dedue, Felix, or Mercedes, since they are higher than Annette in precedence.

You can also look at the a unit's status > Notes, then look at Close Allies, to see which unit they have the most support points with (top 3 only), which is needed if you can't extract your save.
Also, as seen through this menu, A+ rank does not take precedence over A rank when it comes to a tie for paired endings. For example, if Dimitri has 1,001 points with both Dedue (A rank only) and Annette (A+ rank), he will have a paired ending with Dedue.

Overall, my suggestion is, if you are planning on an all supports run, once you are able to get A rank on characters (usually after the timeskip), only view the convo of the paired endings you want (for example, Dimitri x Marianne, Annette x Ashe, so on), and make sure every other A rank (or A+ rank) is unseen until the penultimate chapter (you can only view supports within the monastery, so you can't view them on the final map), probably right after you choose who to marry. That way, by that point, the paired endings you want should hit the 1,001 cap, and the other pairings will be stuck at 600 points (or 800 for A+) until the final map(s). Depending on how you tackle the final maps, you shouldn't hit 1,001 with the other pairings.

5 hours ago, nocturnal YL said:

Like what is the support points raised with each action, and more detailed logic on how the game picks pairs for ending. 

As for how many support points is raised with non-Byleth pairs, it's hard to say. I'm guessing somewhere between 8 to 12 per action in battle (for Byleth pairs, I believe it's 1), but I have yet to do testing on that. With sharing meals, it's likely much higher since it's higher for Byleth.

Edited by MrPerson0

This is very useful, thanks!

Good to know what I don't have to avoid viewing A/A+ altogether for pairings other than the ones I want to see endings of.

6 hours ago, MrPerson0 said:

As for how many support points is raised with non-Byleth pairs, it's hard to say. I'm guessing somewhere between 8 to 12 per action in battle (for Byleth pairs, I believe it's 1), but I have yet to do testing on that. With sharing meals, it's likely much higher since it's higher for Byleth.

I'm under the impression that sharing meals is an effective way to raise supports. I got a few non-Byleth A supports without ever bringing them to battles.

Edited by nocturnal YL