Do you think Kurahana Chinatsu will do more fire emblem work?

KelluPato

I think the Three Houses artist did a really good job with the designs and art.  I know that she is doing some cipher cards, but would you like to see her style in future main series games?

For the art in this game. She does fine work though could do a better job with eyes. Byleth looking dead inside is probably intentional though.

Also does she draw the S rank art? Some of those could use some serious improvement. 

I could be down for her doing another game. Though if there is a remake for fe4/5 I think they need an artist to nail down the 90s anime hair aesthetic.

I hope not. Alot of the characters have messed up perspective in their time skip portraits. Lots of the expressions just look weird if you actually pay attention, especially Rhea, Ingrid, and more. Don't even get me started on how trash a lot of the S support pictures look.

It's not bad, but after Echoes and how good that looked, this is definitely a step down.

Edited by IzzyFresh

Chinatsu's art grew on me, but it definitely isn't my favorite style for the series. That being said, i'd be fine with another game with her at the helm on art. I just wish we got Hidari to stay after Echoes. That would've been godlike.

God, I hope not. Her inability to draw anything other than "sexy women" is annoying as shit. Kozaki had this problem, but at least his men were appealing too. I commend Chinatsu for her diversity with men, I just think the women need that too, but she failed to make most of her diverse men visually appealing. Either make diverse and appealing characters, or just stick to conventionally attractive cookie-cutter characters. Also, pre-timeskip Sylvain's eye is melting off. How that got past first draft, I'll never know. 

Whoever did the costume design though, whether it was Chinatsu herself or someone else, should return for that role specifically. The costumes are AMAZING. 

Credit where credit is due though, her actual rendered artwork, like the promo art, is stellar. I got one of the promo posters from Gamestop because I love it so much. She's a great artist, I just can't stand her character designs. Its really funny, because even though all of Kozaki's characters technically look the same, I don't remember having a difficult time telling them apart! Post-timeskip Annette, Ingrid, Mercedes, and Marianne are like.. exactly the same. I remember being confused for a few seconds when I saw the leaks, and had to go back and compare to their pre-timeskip selves just to make sure I was guessing who was who correctly. 

And I mean, if all these issues are solved in her second installment, I would be so down! She is a great artist, I like her illustrations, just hate her character design. The crap she did for Uta no Prince makes me wanna barf. The fact that some of Twitter mutuals play that game and actively gush over the characters, as if they look good.. confuses me. 

5 minutes ago, nyainou said:

Whoever did the costume design though, whether it was Chinatsu herself or someone else, should return for that role specifically. The costumes are AMAZING. 

If you mean the custom outfits, like the uniforms and timeskip outfits, yes. Otherwise, please no. The class outfits in this game are just so boring, especially anything wearing any kind of armor. I was so upset when Petra's wyvern rider timeskip outfit didn't carry over to wyvern lord.

Kurahana like Hidari is a freelancer artist who works for multiple projects at once. Considering the fact that Hidari only worked on Echoes and Kozaki wasn’t even initially planned to work for Fates I don’t expect her to come back.

I love her work but I hate how she was practically only a character designer in Three Houses who didn’t even get to illustrate the cgs. The cgs were so jarring it would’ve been much better if Kurahana made them herself but IntSys didn’t let her. 

Anyway, I don’t think she will come back but I’d love to see her again as long as she gets better treatment. Three Houses looks so different from her other works, honestly...

Besides, I don’t get the hate she gets but I guess the fanbase only wants to see Hidari or Soeda at the point, huh 

1 hour ago, nyainou said:

God, I hope not. Her inability to draw anything other than "sexy women" is annoying as shit. Kozaki had this problem, but at least his men were appealing too. I commend Chinatsu for her diversity with men, I just think the women need that too, but she failed to make most of her diverse men visually appealing. Either make diverse and appealing characters, or just stick to conventionally attractive cookie-cutter characters. Also, pre-timeskip Sylvain's eye is melting off. How that got past first draft, I'll never know. 

But she did otomes with prettyboys before 3H. Does this suggest she had limited choice on the designs she drew? Wasn't that something Kozaki ran into with Fates?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Her designs have grown on me, but I much rather prefer Kozaki's artwork. I really don't like how big some eyes are compared to the face ( Edelgard ), and all the students seem here seem to be designed in a very fan servicey- way.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I really love Kozaki's art very much. Its a good balance of fan service and seriousness, and the characters don't look to fan-service in general to me. Kozaki mentioned himself that he doesn't put fan service into thought; Camilla was designed to be more "feminine" than Hinoka, hence why Bigger busts.

While I don’t mind her artstyle, personally, like a couple of others have mentioned, it’s just not my thing. I miss Kozaki honestly. Say what you will about his style but at least he knew how to make a character look distinctive and stand out visually. the 3H character designs just aren’t memorable to me honestly and I don’t know why. Like no design really jumps out at me y’know.

Again, say what you will about Peri but at least her design was memorable. You can look at her and just from a glance you instantly have a decent idea of what’s going on inside her head. Even if you took her design and put it into a silhouette you could still easily tell who the character was simply from a glance. That’s what I loved about Kozaki’s style. All his characters looked distinctly memorable in way that captures the audience’s attention. I dunno you just don’t have that with the 3H characters and I miss it.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

If you mean the custom outfits, like the uniforms and timeskip outfits, yes. Otherwise, please no. The class outfits in this game are just so boring, especially anything wearing any kind of armor. I was so upset when Petra's wyvern rider timeskip outfit didn't carry over to wyvern lord.

Oh yes, of course, 100% agreed. Class outfit designs are AWFUL. Only the black/dark color schemes work somewhat with them. Dancer has the most disappointing outfit I have EVER seen. Its actually.. kind of cringey. I hate making people Dancers because -sniffs- they just look so ugly. I saw an edit of the male Dancer outfit without the dumb T-shirt on and the outfit was improved ten-fold. 

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But she did otomes with prettyboys before 3H. Does this suggest she had limited choice on the designs she drew? Wasn't that something Kozaki ran into with Fates?

And I said those otome suck. I'm a huge otome fan, and man, Uta no Prince is the ugliest otome out there. They all look like clowns, its ridiculous. I always do a double-take when I see someone acting like those characters are sexy. 

Its only natural that whoever their supervisor was has the final say on the designs and concepts.. but without knowing exactly how involved a supervisor was, there's only one place we can place blame, albeit with a grain of salt. I guess its not really fair to point fingers only at Chinatsu, but.. god, Uta no Prince. Those hairstyles do not suit those faces..

In many ways, Three Houses can be seen as a point at which Fire Emblem writing "grew up" and learned to incorporate moral ambiguity (see the copious amount of threads regarding at least three of the four routes). It's rather jarring to me then that aesthetically the game makes no such progression and sticks to old comical tropes like the pink pigtails, ridiculous underboob and consistent overuse of huge doe eyes and comedy facial hair. There are too many occasions where I felt the gravity of a situation was thoroughly undermined by some of these questionable stylistic choices, and by the extremely primitive animation system.

Still the best FE game I've played mind you, but for the next instalment I sincerely hope for a clean slate, binning this outdated engine and going for a fresh new start with a completely new style.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:11 PM, Alastor15243 said:

I’m just happy that armor knights, cavaliers, and Pegasus knights actually wear pants this time.

The generic designs are practical; this some of the best they’ve looked for a while now.  (I love Hidari’s designs but Kozaki’s are just...)

Just now, KelluPato said:

I’m just happy that armor knights, cavaliers, and Pegasus knights actually wear pants this time.

The generic designs are practical; this some of the best they’ve looked for a while now.  (I love Hidari’s designs but Kozaki’s are just...)

The designs were already gorgeous and practical for male classes (and a lot of female classes too) in Fates. All they had to do was bring that sort of design flair into Three Houses and not give the ladies assless armor. But no, most of it just looks ugly and dull, particularly whenever armor's involved. And the fact that there are so many promotion tiers and units aren't given custom outfits for the highest one just makes promoting into the master classes or doing anything out of the ordinary with the character a massive letdown.

8 minutes ago, KelluPato said:

Actually Kozaki had little to do with the designing of the generic units and armor. That was actually madhouse. They were the ones who designed the generic enemies and such. At least in awakening anyway. Not sure about fates.

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

The designs were already gorgeous and practical for male classes (and a lot of female classes too) in Fates. All they had to do was bring that sort of design flair into Three Houses and not give the ladies assless armor. But no, most of it just looks ugly and dull, particularly whenever armor's involved. And the fact that there are so many promotion tiers and units aren't given custom outfits for the highest one just makes promoting into the master classes or doing anything out of the ordinary with the character a massive letdown.

Eh, Knights are definitely at their best in the history of Fire Emblem, they actually look like armored soldiers and not moving mops of iron. I liked it so much I had a run with Knight Byleth (with a short sword he's basically a legionnaire).

Obviously everything goes to shit when you promote to Fortress, but that's another story...

That said I do agree that some armors are just idiotic, in particular the damn SHOULDER PADS on everything are so out of place (thinking especially about Hero and GreatKnight).

Wyvern Lord is ridiculous with that ass thing sticking out, but I do like the simpler Wyvern Rider look actually.

On the other hand there's quite a few I really like, Dark Mage is my favourite by far, I have a weakness for plague doctors in every fantasy setting. But also War Master with the roman inspiration is amazing, and I do like the templar-ish look on Paladins and Holy Knights (though males only, the females have a WAY overdone thigh armor).

The worst ones are (imo) Assassin (what is that "helm"??) and Brawler/Grappler (though the roman helm is nice). And I still have to understand what they were going for with generic Dark Knight's headgear, but the outfit is amazing so I'll accept it.

On the generic topic, I do like that they didn't always go with default weapons for Battallions, I don't know why it's nice, but it is (again, Indech's swords are basically a legion, slap them on a War Master and you've got the whole package).

Someone already mentioned freelance stuff about Kurahara so I'm not expecting her to appear again in the near future. I better keep tabs on her's and Hidari's future projects whether or not I can tell heads or tales about guessing the artist for the next FE game.

Are the character portraits also done by her? Are they not just adapted from her designs? Maybe a similar case as Fates with a lot of the character designs being done by another person?

I personally like her artwork and look forward to seeing it again. The pet peeves about the uniforms and class outfits should fall on the art director if past interviews are anything to go by.

Edited by redlight