Is it worth recruiting Hannibal?

Maddie

I'm usual kind of OCD about recruiting all characters and not letting anyone die but honestly I keep accidentally oneshotting Hannibal when he attacks me and I don't have a sleep staff (because I sold it to get Tyrfing to beat Reptor). Is Hannibal worth recruiting or is there not really any point if I have to go out of my way to do it?

Might be worth recruiting Corpul or Charlot, depending on parentage (or lack thereof), as you basically need to keep Hannibal alive to recruit whichever of the two you'd get (and if you go through the trouble of getting Corpul, you may as well get Hannibal too).  An unpromoted healer at that point in the game wouldn't be much of an asset, but depending on what the father had on him before the time skip, it might be worth it to keep from killing Hannibal.  Or if it's Charlot, then he'll have the Berserk Staff, which is really fun to use to royally screw up enemy formations.  That said, both will be able to wield any staff in the game that isn't the Valkyrie Staff, unless it's Corpul and the father is Claud in which case he will be able to use literally every single staff in the game, so if you want another reliable staff bot, then he's an excellent choice.  If his father is Lewyn, he'll also be quite a speedy mage.

Hannibal... isn't all that terrible, but he's not really gonna be an asset given his low movement and the fact that the chapters after his recruitment chapter are filled with mages.  Though if you want a Silver Blade and a Wing Clipper, he's got 'em.  And if it's a sub-only run, he'll be able to pick up some slack if your units are doing poorly in levels.  Otherwise, he's probably gonna only see the arena followed by the bench unless you really want to use him for some reason.

6 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Ertrick36I don't plan on using him but I'm struggling either getting through without him killing one of my troops or him getting killed.

Follow @Interdimensional Observer's advice of killing Hannibal's squad excluding Hannibal himself, but instead of surrounding him, block the entry point to his castle so he can't enter (first send a strong cavalry unit over there to kill the castle keeper and wait there, then have a unit you plan to not use much in the chapter sit at the entrance so Hannibal can't enter it).

Edited by Ertrick36

@Ertrick36Just went through with it and the game makes you feel extremely bad for killing him, if I was going to use him I would've tried to recruit him but Ced is a great castle defender as he never gets hit and kills everything so it wouldn't have been worth the effort to recruit him since I don't have a sleep staff.

1 minute ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Ertrick36Just went through with it and the game makes you feel extremely bad for killing him, if I was going to use him I would've tried to recruit him but Ced is a great castle defender as he never gets hit and kills everything so it wouldn't have been worth the effort to recruit him since I don't have a sleep staff.

Okay, uh... do you have multiple saves?  Because I think it'd really benefit you to use multiple saves.  In any given playthrough, I almost always use all four save slots.

Don't use Ced to defend the castle.  Ced's an offense unit, he should be among the team that is assaulting the squad.  Defense should be handled by Dannan's sons (Johan or Johalva, depending on which you recruit), Oifaye, Leif (don't use a magic sword), or one of the speedy sword users (you would have Creidne and Dalvin, and they should have reasonable enough speed to dodge-tank the enemies while in a castle without full-blown killing Hannibal with an activation of Astra/Luna).

I don't know if you'll even be able to use that advice anymore as I don't know your saving habits for this game, but for future reference you should never task a mage with defending a castle against a slew of armor knights if you intend to keep one of them alive.  Especially not Lewyn's kids, you're basically asking for enemies to die if you pit them against Lewyn's children if they have any semblance of magic capabilities.

You're advancing pretty quickly into this game. How did you fix the Reptor situation?

Who kicked the bucket when Ishtar/Julius started their hunting game? Or did you manage to avoid it? I feel it would be very difficult to do so in the sort of blind run you are doing.

Such a difficult game to go in blind. 

Edited by Vince777

@Vince777 I beat Reptor by selling some of Sigurd's items and got Tyrring. I'm currently on Chapter 10 and Julius/Ishtar haven't shown up yet. @Vince777 I play all games blind on my first playthrough then on the second playthrough I play slower so I can learn all the mechanics and experience the game to the fullest.

Edited by CelicaLucina

Oh I was sure Julius/Ishtar showed up before. My mistake.

Upon inspection, it looks like it's just about to go down. Use save states if you care about keeping everyone alive.

Edited by Vince777

Good job. It's a tough spot. Ishtar is the easier target though but you can so easily come out of this situation with a unit down.

You are just about to get the sword back for Seliph (I think?). Happens literally after the next bridge. Watch for an NPC.

Also, I know you're doing this blind... but you're going to miss a scene. Don't read if you aren't interested:

Spoiler

The ghosts of Seliph's parents can appear to him if you defeat Arvis with Seliph and then wait next to a water tile. 

Edited by Vince777

@Vince777Thanks for the info as I defeated Arvis with Shannan as he is the only one who can effortlessly dodge Arvis' attack. Couldn't get to the NPC in time so I'm not sure if it means that endgame is impossible since I've heard that Shannan can't attack Ishatar in endgame. I've captured the first castle easily though as my main troops are well leveled. Also besides Hannibal (because I killed him since I didn't have a sleep staff so I wasn't able to knock him out) none of my troops have died. What is the dialogue between Seliph and his parents?

Edited by CelicaLucina

5 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Vince777Thanks for the info as I defeated Arvis with Shannan as he is the only one who can effortlessly dodge Arvis' attack. Couldn't get to the NPC in time so I'm not sure if it means that endgame is impossible since I've heard that Shannan can't attack Ishatar in endgame. I've captured the first castle easily though as my main troops are well leveled. Also besides Hannibal (because I killed him since I didn't have a sleep staff so I wasn't able to knock him out) none of my troops have died. What is the dialogue between Seliph and his parents?

Anyone can attack Ishtar in the last chapter I believe. Don't know why Shanan couldn't, that doesn't make sense to me. It's another of the game's tough spots imo, as she'll charge with a lot of troops including a trio of deadly falcon knights. Good luck.

The dialogue:

Edited by Vince777

I'll put Genealogy in there for sure, along Three Houses and I have fondness for Binding Blade, which I've played so much of.

It's a difficult question, I love them all. Currently playing Echoes again. 

You?

@Vince777I've not played all of them yet but I've loved each one i've played so far. If I had to pick a few specific favourites it'd be: Awakening, Echoes, POR/RD and so far Geneology. Not played Three Houses yet as I'm saving it for last as the gameplay will probably be the most refined. Which of the Fates games are best?

2 minutes ago, CelicaLucina said:

@Vince777I've not played all of them yet but I've loved each one i've played so far. If I had to pick a few specific favourites it'd be: Awakening, Echoes, POR/RD and so far Geneology. Not played Three Houses yet as I'm saving it for last as the gameplay will probably be the most refined. Which of the Fates games are best?

I prefer Revelation but that's really not a popular choice. Many people seem to dislike it as it sort of trivialize the sacrifices you make in the two other routes, where you are forced to choose a faction.

From my understanding, most people prefer Conquest's gameplay but many dislike it's Corrin and plotline. Most people Birthright's story but don't value it's gameplay as much. Conquest also is kind of harder but has more more innovative map designs and objectives. 

I just prefer Revelation because I'm sucker for all my characters coming out of it alive. You can't play it first anyway so you'll have to pick between Conquest and Birthright. It's a third route that only unlocks after you've at least completed one of the main ones.

There are a lot of games. Don't burn yourself out though before you get to Three Houses as it has many different routes itself and each take about 40 hours to complete. ._.

@Vince777I've only played FE9-11, 13, 15 & 4 so far. I might play FE 5 & 12 next to finish off those storylines then have a break and play something else (probably FFVI) then play Three Houses since TH has alot of replayability and I can play it again at a later date. 

I'll start with Conquest because I saw a really cheap physical copy and bought it a week ago.