Why are there people who play FEH that don't even play any other FE games?

Very epic FE gamer

If I had to guess, maybe FEH requires less attention and less time investment than a regular Fire Emblem since FEH's combat is pretty basic and you can easily log in, do a map, log out. It's probably just easier to get into than a FE game.

41 minutes ago, Very epic FE gamer said:

Like, what do you people like about FEH? It's not like the gameplay is so amazing. I'm genuinely curious.

People could be looking for a turn-based strategy game that has short maps and is easy to play on the go and doesn't cost money to try out.

This is the game that brought me back to the Fire Emblem series after a 10-year hiatus.

I played heroes before any other FE title (played FE7, Awakening and SoV later), I haven't even known the franchise. Back then I have been searching for a good game for my phone and found it in heroes. It had to compete with other Android games, not with other Nintendo/IS games. 

I like the smaller maps and smaller teams compared to the main titles, but it's certainly lacking (good and continuous) story elements. I'm still playing it because I always have my phone with me, I rarely use my 2DS and I'm not sure if I'll purchase a switch. 

28 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

People could be looking for a turn-based strategy game that has short maps and is easy to play on the go and doesn't cost money to try out.

to elaborate on this, it's worth noting that by the standards of free phone strategy games, feh actually has pretty fuckin slick and cool gameplay with quite a bit of longevity in it. it doesn't stack up to the mainline games, but that's more because it recognizes its limits and goes for a different aesthetic than they do.

Edited by Integrity

9 minutes ago, Chocolate Kitty said:

this question is flawed in nature, like why does anyone do anything and not everything of that genre

because they want to, let people live

while it's a reasonable and true point, it's not too hard to argue that a major reason many of us got into / kept playing feh is because the .pngs are our fire emblems, and that without that context we couldn't see ourselves sticking around, you dig?

Bit of a mystery to me as well considering I would never play this game if I wasn't a FE fan.

I think gacha games are morally very suspect, to be polite, and wouldn't encourage one otherwise. 

I can only seldom restrain myself when I hear of people spending so much on them. 

2 hours ago, Very epic FE gamer said:

Like, what do you people like about FEH? It's not like the gameplay is so amazing. I'm genuinely curious.

Its simple, yet deep customizable and short. Normal Fire Emblem games take up so much time, you really need to dedicate 2-3 hours on a string. In Feh you can just dedicate 30 min and get stuff done.

If anything I actually like the strategic gameplay of FEH more then any other normal Fire Emblem i played, because the map isnt very big and isnt clustered with own units/ enemy units. Sometimes it gets dreadfull cycling through 39239209302 units on a map and then End Turn. Just draging an Armor Unit along in Fire emblem games gives me shivers...

I'd imagine that a reason why people play FEH but not other FE games (other than other reasons already listed here) is because they're curious about the franchise and want to check it out. FEH is undeniably a sort of "advertisement game." In that way, it's not too different from SSB. Things have more value to an individual if the individual invests (time/money/heart) into it. You play around with it, get attached to some of the characters, and want to invest in the games they're from. It's an easily-accessible gateway to FE games, and gives you a sample before to buy the main course.

I'll give a bonus answer too: why I, an FE player, play FEH.

For one, I love the story of this game. What got me into it and is still an aspect I enjoy about it, though, is that I can roster up my favorite characters from across the series. Before FEH was a thing, I'd had some wish to put PoR Ike, Ephraim, and Hector on a team. Now, I can! Further, sometimes, you could only play a character for like, 1 map in his/her home game, which for me, is disappointing. FEH let's me use whatever units for an extended period of time, which I appreciate and enjoy. Not to mention being able to play characters who were previously unrecruitable, and, of course, the fact that FEH acts as an extension to the home games, giving you more script to read from the characters, and more scenarios to see them act in (since pretty much every FE takes place during a war, so it's not like you get to see them in a festival or something. In that way, you also get to know the worlds' cultures better. It's like actually hanging out with friends instead of just studying with them.)

Fire Emblem Heroes have a few things going for it over all other Fire Emblem games:

1. The player decides how much to spend. They can play for free or spend a fortune.
2. The game has frequent updates, resulting in a constant evolving meta that keeps things fresh and engaging for the player.
3. The game has a strong sense of community. The constant updates and evolving meta means players would want to frequently connect with each other to share knowledge, especially for players who have spent a lot of money and want the most bang out of their buck.

3 hours ago, Very epic FE gamer said:

4. Gameplay wise, Heroes at the highest level of competitive play is at least as deep as the main games, if not more so.

Lunatic+ in Awakening can be trivialized once you max out your core team and just Enemy Phase everything.

Wi-Fi battle in Fates mostly boils down to who can rush first and nuke the other team into oblivion on Player Phase.

Aether Raids in Heroes can be similarly trivialized, but you need to invest into multiple teams and strategies and you cannot just Enemy Phase everything.

I don't know who these "people" are (or if they exist in a significant number, even), but assuming they do, I'd guess it's because FE games are too restricted.

Think like this: You're a newcomer to Fire Emblem. Ok, so, in order to play the old games, you'd either buy them through some Nintendo e-shop retro sale service or something, or emulate these games, because good luck being able to play FE1-10 through their original consoles. FE11 and FE12 are locked to the Nintendo DS, which iirc is a dead console already. Then we have FE13-15, which *are* on the 3DS and they're not that hard to get into, and FE16, which is a Switch exclusive.

tl;dr what makes it difficult to get into FE is how most of its games are locked in dead and/or Nintendo exclusive consoles. FEH only requires you to have a phone.

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Waifu gambling addiction.

Why am I the first to suggest this? It's like, the one difference in genre. 

I have Lynfinity Gauntlet. My Camfinity Gauntlet is just missing A!Camilla and then it will be complete. I hope they will eventually expand Aether Resort to 13+ units because if it is stuck at 12, then that means I cannot fit both Waifu Gauntlets into my Resort.

When I played Dragalia Lost, I ended up finding a group of people who just play Gacha games. Their Discord server had a FEH channel not because people there liked Fire Emblem (most of them seemed generally clueless about anything outside FEH and Smash whenever I talked about it), but because of the Gacha elements. So I imagine that's where most of those people come from. 

On 9/5/2019 at 12:53 PM, Very epic FE gamer said:

It's not like the gameplay is so amazing.

Technically, if you look at FEH without a background in FE, the gameplay is actually relatively simple - I have a 10-year-old cousin who's entire connection with FE is literally the quote 'FOR CHROM AND COUNTRY' which I used to shout when using Robin's Final Smash in SSBWiiU, yet he figured FEH's gameplay out in about five minutes, enough to get the importance of having one Unit of each color in your starting team during your early game experience, plus the fact that at least one of your Red/Blue/Green Units should probably be Ranged to allow for a more mixed attack strategy. My 13-year-old cousin, meanwhile, has been playing for a year or so and is just now starting to get accustomed to the idea of changing your fourth Unit off of a Healer for maximized damage output, beginning to look at Dancer Units for their potential. His experience with FE is maybe ten Chapters at most of Sacred Stones, which I have on their WiiU since I don't have one and wanted to play SS, plus the abovementioned Chrom quote, and he actually only looked into SS after playing FEH for a while.
My own experience with FE, actually, only occurred because of SSB - for some reason, I became very attached to Roy as a character during the Melee era, so while I never touched FE until much later, I had a positive view of the series as a whole. You can also imagine how much difficulty I ran into trying to find Roy's home game in the intervening years, as someone who monetarily functioned on just birthday money at the time. I did pick Awakening up eventually, but only because I was curious about Robin and Lucina, who I'd become accustomed to in SSB3DS. Though I loved it, when FEH was first announced my first reaction was 'Wait, I can play a FE game with Roy in it?' which I would have asked regardless of whether I'd played any other FE game.
My point here is that some people have characters from Super Smash Bros. that they love, but they don't particularly feel a need to get more involved with the franchise in general, so they stick with the gacha that, though somewhat unreliably, still allows them to interact with the characters they specifically like, such as Ike, Marth, Lucina, or Corrin, and for that FEH's gameplay actually works just fine, with no worrying over Hit Rates, no concerns about Classic Mode, no problems finding the dang things, especially for Ike fans who might not be acquainted with or willing to try hacking/emulating...you hopefully get the idea.

On 9/5/2019 at 2:53 PM, Very epic FE gamer said:

Based avi #based

I started playing because I liked the Fire Emblem games and slowly became addicted due to wife-foo addiction.  Spent ~$300 on the game total, most of which was for Halloween Kagero.  I uninstalled a while ago, and tried to get back into it recently, but found the gameplay tedious.  It's only genuinely fun for me now when I use BASED +10 Kagero with dancers, or all-Camilla team (#based).

51 minutes ago, Integrity said:

not with that attitude

I tried with Sharena as a super tank. She can Enemy Phase a lot of things during her bonus weeks on Light Season, but even she cannot Enemy Phase everything. Ophelia and Infantry Pulse teams still wreck her. Her Fensalir is amazing for tanking, but it is not strong enough for everything.

Against Ophelia and Infantry Pulse, it is often easier to just Galeforce them.

Edited by XRay

Just now, XRay said:

I tried with Sharena as a super tank. She can Enemy Phase a lot of things during her bonus weeks on Light Season, but even she cannot Enemy Phase everything. Ophelia and Infantry Pulse teams still wreck her. Her Fensalir is amazing for tanking, but it is not strong enough for everything.

That just means you need a bigger tank.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

That just means you need a bigger tank.

I find armor units too difficult to use, and to compensate for their lack of mobility, they need to max out their stats in case they cannot get out of the way quick enough against something like Ophelia. They also cannot break Aether Structures very effectively.

I guess I can go dragons, but I have not finished building them yet.